• Published 9th Apr 2012
  • 1,639 Views, 74 Comments

Very different beneath the surface - Slick Dash



A surge of magic creates problems for Ponnyville as it crashes to the ground and greats the mane six

  • ...
4
 74
 1,639

All hell breaks loose

The dragon was not as big as the usual dragons, but it was still big! It stood tall over every pony in the town. Immediately, Shining Armour barked an order and the guards prepared a line of defence against the creature that simply stared at them. Waiting.

“Say hello to my dear little Draig. We found his egg in the forests while hunting for some escaped unicorns from the camps.” Empress Celestia’s eyes fell on Twi for a moment, the little magenta pony shivered again. Pink took a step forward, trying to throw herself before the creature and her friends. But at the site of the pink leader, the silver clad alicorn laughed madly. Pink waited for her to finish without a word.

“My apologies, I didn’t mean to be rude, but when I heard about the strong and capable Pinkamena Dianne Pie I expected something more...” She examined the pony from a distance. “Well... MORE!” She laughed dryly again. Pink glared back, not giving an inch to –what in her eyes seemed like- the devil.
“How do you know me?” She asked coldly.
“Oh! I don’t!” Laughed the Empress, as she reached into the hole as though something waited for her to grab on the other side. Her manic laughing expression vanished as she pulled a heap of fur, scales and horns from her world. “But he does.” She growled as she flung the heap towards the pony.

Pink stared in disbelief at the slowly breathing creature just ahead. She began to hurry towards it, but was stopped by a cautious hoof of the princess. “Stop! You don’t know who it is! He’s dangerous!” Pink swiped the princess’s hoof away glaring at her.
“I do know who he is! And he’s saved me a thousand times!” She looked back and continued to rush to the creatures side, her face falling into dismay. “Disc!” She cried as she fell beside the wheezing draconequus.

Twilight stared in disbelief at the scene a few feet away, as did Fluttershy, Rainbow, Applejack and Rarity (Who still kept a wary eye on the familiar looking dragon who stood by the empress patiently) Pinkie and the other world’s ponies however, watched with a warm smile threatening to take over their faces. Dashie arched her head slightly, trying to see if Discord was still breathing as did the pink pony just ahead of her, Applejack perked her ears to try and listen, and Twi moved forwards to stand by her other self.

“He’s helped us escape her clutches a hundred times.” She whispered to Twilight who carried on looking, becoming more confused by this other world by the minute.
“But why?” Twilight breathed in disbelief, “He’s the god of chaos, he’d want to see the world under her rule right? He’s evil!” Twi shook her head understandably.
“He’s the only one who’s been successful in fighting back, making some chaos by creating rebellion after rebellion against Celestia’s rule. He doesn’t want evil to rain, he wants chaos, and the best way to get it is to fight her at every turn. ” Twi gazed at the Draconequus, she heard him wheezing something, as did every other pony, but none of them could discern what he was saying.

All except for one pony.

Pink knelt beside her beloved husband, and for the first time. She cried, her eyes filled with tears at the state the Chimera was is. His horns had been battered and chipped, his fur coat was torn and burnt in places. But whilst crying for his suffering, Pink also cried with joy, he was alive!

Slowly, the Draconequus reached up and placed his warm paw to Pink’s stomach. He stroked it slowly and sighed with discomfort. “You...and the baby... alright?” he struggled to say, Pink nodded scrunching her eyes trying to staunch the tears. Discord chuckled. “Shhh. Pinkie my dear...Just a scratch or two... Feels new to be so pummelled...Feels good...” His head rolled to one side, gazing at the empress who still stood by the tear between Equestria and Celestia. “Change is good!” He muttered, hoping the Empress heard him.

The sudden anger flaring in her eyes proved she had, her reaction only brought laughter to the Chimera’s lips. “I-I tried Pinkie.” He whispered. “I tried to hide the spell so she couldn’t follow.” His eyes glazed over slightly as he visualised everything that had brought him here. “She had Macintosh, she thought he’d know where it was, when he didn’t tell her she...” His face grew dark. Pink bit her lip hard, her breath came out in short bursts as she tried to tell Discord everything.
“She took Fluttershy. She’s...” Discord took hold of pinks face softly with his talon’ed eagle hand, he cooed softly.
“Shhh, shh, shh, It’s alright my dear. At least she’s with Macintosh now.” He rubbed his thumb gingerly over her scar. “I remember when I gave you this.” He said with warmth in his voice, Pink’s lips burst into a sad smile as she stifled a laugh at his words.

“ ‘Excuse me miss, I can’t help but noticed you blades a little dull!’ you said!” Pink smiled.
“ ‘you can’t cut with it like that. Let me make it REALLY blunt and then you’ll do just fine.’” Continued Discord. “You couldn’t understand how when there was no point, how it could still cut anything.”
“So It must have been a trick! You had to prove to me that it wasn’t by doing something you wouldn’t expect me to ask of you.” Pink smiled, she reached up and lay a hoof over her husband’s eagle hand, holding it to her face.
“So you told me to cut you with it! Thinking I’d fall apart and explain the trick.”
“But you didn’t.” Pink finished warmly.

“Enough of the pleasantries!” Shouted the empress. Cutting the lovers reunion short. “Consider that your last rites!” She turned to the other Celestia coldly. “You interfered with the disciplining of my subjects why?” The princess stared in disbelief.
“Discipline? That was nothing short of murder!” The empress shrugged.
“There both the same in my eyes.”
“Well they are not in mine!” Shouted the princess, rearing backwards, kicking forehooves out before her in anger! “And I will not let you harm another soul here today!” The empresses face soured in anger.
“LET me? You won’t LET me?” She laughed, the barrier opened once again. Her eyes seemed to glow slowly, and from within the world of Celestia, there came the sound of marching hooves.

“I would have killed them and been on my way!” Cackled the silver clad empress. “But now I think this will make a nice little place for me to live! This could be my summer getaway!” A dark hoof stepped out from the portal, clad in similar silver armour similar to the empress’s. One after another, the squad of guard poured out from within the dark realm and into Equestria. Soon the force rivalled that of the princess and Shining Armour’s squadrons.

Silence rang out over the town centre, everypony waiting for the coming storm. The empress’s lips curled into a maniacal grin. “Kill them!” The black furred guards charged against the princess’s white furred ones, like a living game of chess! Immediately, Shining Armour took control of his men.
“CHARGE!” The responding clash of armour against armour was deafening! Punctuated by the shouts and cries of the soldiers, Twilight and her friends listened to the terrible cacophony of battle.

Just behind the line of battle on the princess’s side, lay Pink and Discord. Over the deafening roar of the battle close by, Pink could barely hear her weak husbands whisper. She leant in close tilting her ears to his mouth. “T-The portal...Is it closed?” Pink turned and stared through the clashing white and black stallions, she could just see the empress stood with her dragon, the portal lay between the two. Her heart fell at the site of the gaping hole in space.

“No Disc, it’s still open...” She said crest fallen. Twilight and the other ponies now approached their friend and her husband, weary of any possible stallion that may break away from the battle and come after them. Applejack stood ready, as did Twi, AJ and Rainbow Dash. Even Rarity stood firm in case of attack, but Fluttershy and Dashie quaked in fear at the terrible display of violence before them.

Twilight was joined by Pinkie as they knelt beside the week willed Chimera, just in time to hear him whisper to his sorrowful wife. “The shield...Celestia’s shield... is it closed?” Twilight looked for the bubble, and surely enough it still hung there.
“Yes it’s closed at the moment. Why?” Asked the magenta unicorn.
“HAHAHAHAAAAAA!” The Draconequus exploded in laughter, every aspect of pain vanishing in an instant!

He soared into the sky, well above the warring stallions. Empress Celestia stared in disbelief at the laughing creature, and her heart filled with undying rage! “HOW?!” She cried out in horror.
“Come now dear! You didn’t think I’d go down that easily did you?” The chimera laughed, floating back to the ground. He placed a lion paw on his wife’s straight haired mane affectionately. “I just needed the free ride to Pinkie and the others.” His eyes travelled to the corpse of the yellow Pegasus nearby, Twilight was amazed to see misery on the face of the chimera she had come to despise over the years. “I just wish I’d gotten back sooner.” Muttered the draconequus.

He took a deep breath then with a pop, he vanished from site. The non-fighting ponies searched for the mischievous trickster, the empress was the one to find him. Stood by the bubble of magic surrounding the tear between worlds, with a devilish wink the draconequus released a long heated breath over the bubble. The breath sent a ripple across its surface the empress cried out in shock, she lowered her head and pointing her horn to the chimera, a pulse of dark blue magic travelled from the base of the horn to the tip, then exploded forth as a bolt of energy.

She was too late, Discord vanished once again and reappeared beside his wife once more. Giving a melodramatic bow, he extended a talon’ed hand to his pink spouse. “Shall we my dear?” He asked.
“With pleasure!” Replied Pink taking his hand. Her mane twitched for a moment, and then with the shock of all the local ponies, it exploded into the puffy mess that they associated with Pinkie. Then the husband and wife threw themselves into the fray, taking a group of black guards singlehandedly.

The empress was caressing her precious magical bubble, her face distorted in horrified realisation. “I can’t open the shield! He tampered with it! DRAIG! DESTROY HIS PRETTY LITTLE FRIENDS!” The dragon obeyed immediately, dropping to all fours and charging through the crowd of fighting stallions.
“GIRLS! RUN!” Cried an ethereal voice as princess Celestia fell from above, blocking the path between the dragon and her beloved subjects. Similarly to the empress, her horn glowed at the base as it prepared to fire a magical blast at the fast approaching giant lizard.

“Oh no! I can’t let you off that easily!” Screeched a descending empress, with their attention diverted to the dragon, none of them had noticed the empress fast approaching her double. With a terrible crash, the empress smashed into the princess and sent her soaring away. “Enjoy your little play date girls!” Cackled the other Celestia as she pursued the fallen princess, clearing the way for the dragon once again.

Dashie squealed in fear, as did Fluttershy, their eyes wide and glistening with terror. The Applejacks threw themselves in front of their friends, ready to beat the beast away. The three unicorns horns exploded into life, Two purple and one blue. But before any could strike the creature, a blur of blue and rainbow bolted past them as Rainbow raced to the creature, revenge in her heart for her fallen friend Flutt. Before anypony could call out to her to stop, the rainbow mare collided with the snout of the dragon, not being much bigger from the local dragon, the collision caused the creature to topple to its side in pain!

The cyan pony laughed in triumph! She posed for her moment of victory her forehooves on her hips winking at her friends. “He’s not so tou”- A huge plume of fire shot at the Pegasus, cutting off her bragging mid sentence. “AAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHH!” She screamed as she zoomed away from the inferno pursuing her. The dragon then righted itself, snuffing smoke from its nostrils angrily. Its green plumes either side of its head twitched at the beautiful sounds of battle around it.

The green eyes of the beast met the azure of Rarity’s and in that instant she recognised the creature. “S-Spike?!” The approaching creature focused on her, picking up speed as it focused on the platinum pony! “Girls! It’s the other Spike!” Applejack looked back in horror.
“Well? What do we do Twilight? Do we fight it or try not to hurt’m?” Twilight was lost, she had recognised the creature in the same instant as Rarity and had frozen unsure what to do.
“We fight it! It aint the same ‘Spike’ that you know!” Called AJ, still stood firm against the approaching dragon. “He’s going for Rarity!” She cried out as the dragon made a b-line for the unicorn. Twi and Twilight used their magic, pulling at the creatures tail, trying to slow it’s advance, but it made no effect, the creature was too strong!

The creature reached the group, it stood on its hind legs preparing to swipe at the platinum unicorn. “NOOOOOOOO! NOT RARITY!” Screamed a deep voice from their side. Before they could look to who was shouting, a purple blur slammed into the dragon, pulling him down to the ground! The group stared as they saw another dragon wrestling with the giant ‘Draig.’

“SPIKE!” Cried Rarity in relief at the sight of her beloved dragon. She took a step towards her beloved but was stopped by two orange forehooves. Both the Applejacks were stationary. “That aint the best thing to go interfering with Rarity!” Suggested Applejack, keeping a weary eye on the tussling dragons.

“But...” Stammered Rarity, she looked horrified, she was tormented between protecting her friends and helping Spike. Salvation came in the form of Rainbow Dash who swooped in from the chaos and grabbed Rarity by the hip hoisting her into the sky and over to the cover behind the cafe. “Rainbow! What are you doing? Put me down this instant.” The Pegasus did as commanded, and let the unicorn fall back to ground below.

“Wait here!” the Pegasus demanded, before bolting back towards the group of friends. A few seconds later she came holding Dashie and Flutttershy (With difficulty) Followed by the Applejack and Twilight doubles. “Everyone ok?” Asked Rainbow quickly. The group all gave cautious nods, still on the lookout for any possible attackers. Rarity immediately voiced her protest.
“Spike isn’t! Did you see the size of that brute? He’ll tear my little Spike to pieces!”
“Trust me Rarity, Spike has a heck of a better chance than we do if we don’t come up with a plan.”
.................
Back on the battle field, chaos reigned! Hoof struck against hoof, head against head, and thousands of spells shot out in a variety of densities and colours. The smell of both perspiration and blood hung heavy in the air as each stallion battled on regardless. Deep in the centre of the feud, stood Shining armour. He fought a group of three large dark unicorn guards. The first thrust hard with his horn, barely missing Armour’s neck as he strafed to the side just in time. The second pursued in the same fashion, armour ducked his head low and charged forward, bowling the stallion over his shoulder and onto the ground below.

The third unicorn tried to send a bolt of energy at the captain while he was distracted by the other two, little did the black unicorn realise the shadow of a slim and twisted figure behind him. Armour was pushing with all of his might against the guard; their horns were locked in a deadly tussle. Each time Armour parried an attack and thrust his way towards the enemy, he would jump aside. They were very well trained. The captains hoof snagged on an unconscious body beneath him, he stumbled and that was all the enemy needed. He charged at full pace towards the vulnerable stallion, he came so close that Shining Armour could see the demented whites of the unicorns eyes. This was it!

The unicorn was there in one moment, and gone with a blur of motion. Armour stared in disbelief at his fortune. He got to his feet; looking to his left he saw his attacker and one of his ally’s in an unconscious heap on the floor. The captain then looked to his right. There stood Discord. The two stared at each other for a moment, the battle seemed to dim down for a moment as they locked gazes.

The distracted draconequus didn’t notice the large Pegasus soaring towards his right shoulder. With mere inches to spare, the Captain of the guard sent a blast that knocked the black guard out of the sky. “You owe me one!” Laughed the Captain. Without falter the draconequus silently charged the captain, with fear in his heart, the male unicorn tried to back away, but it was too late. The chimera of chaos reached him in seconds. Towering above Armour, the draconequus sent a fist flying down to the captain. Armour closed his eyes in anticipation for the coming pain. But it never came.

Through the din of the battle, the captain heard a chuckle from above him. He opened his eyes to see Discords mismatched red ones mere inches away. They glinted with glee as he straightened up, bringing his fist with him, holding the head of a black guard who had clearly snuck up on the captain. The guard was screaming in fear, his legs flailed comically as he hung by his helmet, clutched in the lion paw of the chimera. With an idle toss of the guard into the racket of the ensuing chaos behind him, Discord chuckled. “Not anymore!”

The two paladins of battle laughed in unison, unbelievably calm with all that was going on around them. Then. Even over the roar of clashing ponies. They heard a solid, firm, powerful hoofstep crash to the ground behind the captain of the guard. Both the unicorn and chimera looked in interest. Armour’s mouth dropped in astonishment, the chimera looked from one to the other. “Well, this should be interesting!”