• Published 9th Apr 2012
  • 1,639 Views, 74 Comments

Very different beneath the surface - Slick Dash



A surge of magic creates problems for Ponnyville as it crashes to the ground and greats the mane six

  • ...
4
 74
 1,639

Surprises all around

“C’mon! I don’t have all night!” Dash hung in the air by her front door, gazing down to the grassy ground below. Dashie stood below, gazing up at the grand and –even in the shadow of night- vibrant home.
“It’s beautiful!” She breathed, gazing at the rainbow water fall, the almost Greek looking columns and pillars. Rainbow Dash sighed.
“Yeah, glad you like it; I’ll give you the grand tour in a minute. Just get up here already!”

Dashie said nothing, she gazed up at the house. Then she looked to her wings tucked in to her sides. For a moment she seemed lost in thought, but she quickly shook her head, clenched her eyes and pulled her head away defiantly. Letting out a small squeal of fear as she did so.

Rainbow watched her copy down on the ground, unsure of what the problem was. But this had been bugging her the whole time she’d seen this other Rainbow mane’d Pegasus. Rainbow swooped down to the ground just ahead of the fearful mare. “What’s the problem?” She asked simply. Dashie didn’t look up, she flicked her mane slightly to adjust her fringe, then continued to gaze at the ground silently.

“You haven’t flown once since you got here.” Rainbow commented. Dashie dared a quick glimpse at the other Pegasus from behind the strands of multicoloured hair. Rainbow could see that her eyes were glistening. “Hey, c’mon! I didn’t mean it in any kind of bad way, it just confused me is all!” the proud Pegasus explained quickly, not wanting the shy copy to cry.

Dashie still looked back at Rainbow, her brow furrowed slightly to show her puzzlement at the other’s words. “It’s just.” Rainbow continued, feeling awkward she rubbed the back of her neck with her forehoof absentmindedly. “If you’re a... double of me, surely you love flying, so why...don’t... you?” She trailed off quietly.

Dashie moved her head, revealing her uncovered eye better. She looked at Rainbow, she gave a forced half smile with no happiness behind it. “Well, I guess we’ve found something that makes us different.” She said coldly, “I hate flying.”

...........................................................

Pinkie trudged down the stairs dozily, she yawned and rubbed her eyes, searching for the noise that had woke her up. At first her bleary eyes didn’t find anything unusual, but as she stared into the gloom she saw the front door was open, it banged slightly against its frame in the night breeze. Pinkie crossed the room, confused, she was sure she locked this door, or at least closed it!

As she took hold of the wooden panel and prepared to pull it to a close, she noticed a pony sat on the steps leading to it. She frowned for a moment. “Pink?” The figure stirred, she glanced over her shoulder at the call of her newly adopted name. Her eyes looked sad, but her face gave nothing away as always.

She glanced at the open door, “Oh. I’m sorry, I didn’t realise I’d made such a racket getting out. I’ll keep it down.” She turned back and gazed up at the stars again, almost mystified. Pinkie stood there for a moment. ‘What a strange pony.’ She thought. Then shrugged thinking how Pink most likely thought the same of her. With a smile, and a quickly fading drowsiness, she moved past the other pink pony, and flopped onto the damp due covered blades of grass.

She breathed deeply taking in the scent of the moisture, and the slight taste of baking that always hung in the air around the sweet shop. Gazing up into the many pinpricks of light Pinkie sighed happily. “There amazing huh? It’s so much better on a clearer night though.”
“Yeah, I guess they are pretty amazing.” Pink agreed quietly.

“So, what’s the plan after tonight then huh?” Pinkie asked, tilting her head up to see the other pink pony.
“No idea really.” She said morosely, “I guess the five of us will decide tomorrow.” She gave a half smile at pinkie, then returned to her star gazing. Pinkie was confused however,
“Five? But there are only four of you.” Pink looked back at her, just as confused for a moment. Then with a wash of realisation, she quickly corrected herself.
“Oh... yeah, that’s what I meant. Sorry.”

Pink looked furtively back at Pinkie, trying to avoid eye contact while checking if was still watching. Pinkie stood, unusually serious. “Why did you say five pink?”
“Look! It was a slip of the tongue ok?!” Pink shouted unbelievably loudly.
“Hey, hey, hey! I was only asking, I didn’t mean to upset you and send you into one of your... mood ...swings.” An unbelievable idea crept into Pinkies mind as she lay there.

Pink was angry, but then she’d be amazingly kind to somepony, then she’d flip out at the slightest thing. Pinkie was had experienced this before with another female pony. Mrs. Cake had been this way for a few months before she gave birth to her twins. Maybe that’s why Pink’s mood swings seemed so familiar. Pinkie licked her lips, considering whether to ask the preposterous question or not. What was the harm?

Pink was frowning at her, trying to understand what was going on behind the furrowed brow and the tongue sticking out from between her lips. Did the random party pony know? Unknowingly Pink adjusted her position on the steps, placing a foreleg in front of her stomach protectively. By the time she realised what she had done, it was too late.

Pinkie realised what the movemenbt meant, she was protecting something, something hidden from plain sight and mind to anypony she had come with. Any pony she had even spoken to sinse coming here.

With a long and comical gasp filled with complete shock, Pinkie stared at her copy from another world. Pink closed her eyes, dreading the question she knew was about to come. She breathed deeply and braised herself. Behind her cool eyelids she could see nothing but black, she could hear subtle movements ahead of her which were all that proved Pinkie was there. Waiting.

As she lay in her own self made darkness, a face seemed to swim across her vision. Using her mind to create an image on the blank canvas of her eyelids. It was blurry, but as Pinkie took a deep breath, and pink prepared for her secret to be blown, the face grew clearer. “Pink...” Pinkie began. The face grew clearer, deep red eyes nestled in eyes of an even deeper yellow, set in a face of dark gray fur. His white eyebrows cocked in a joking expression, his long fang jutting out beneath his wide grin. “Are you pregnant?”