• Published 21st Jun 2014
  • 2,542 Views, 124 Comments

Love, Equestria Style - Bluecatcinema



A selection of romantic stories from the world of Equestria

  • ...
4
 124
 2,542

Crushed

Spike was making his way to Carousel Boutique, ready to offer his services to Rarity (in truth, he simply wanted an excuse to be around her for an extended period of time). Once he reached his destination, he knocked lightly on the door. The vision that was Rarity answered almost immediately.

"Good morning, Spike." She smiled. "What brings you here today?"

"I just... wanted to know if you needed any help." Spike declared.

"Well, I could use a hoof sorting some old outfits." Rarity noted.

"Consider it done, m'lady." Spike bowed.

"Oh, you are sweet." Rarity giggled. "Come on in, Spikey-wikey."

Spike did as he was told, sighing deeply at the sound of her laughter. However, he soon found himself looking at a most unwelcome sight: Rarity's coltfriend, Orion.

"Hey here, little fella." Orion smiled.

"Oh, it's you." Spike scowled. "Hi."

Spike didn't like Orion. He hadn't liked him from the moment he'd heard the stallion was dating Rarity. The very idea of him 'hogging' Rarity's affection made Spike sick. The baby dragon was of the unshakeable belief that Orion didn't deserve her in the least. He hid his hostility for him, though, not wanting Rarity to catch wind of it. So he swallowed his bile, and tried to at least tolerate his presence.

"Orion's giving me some help with my accounts." Rarity explained. "Aren't I lucky to have two wonderful guys helping me?"

"Yeah, sure..." Spike frowned, adding under his breath "But it should be just one..."

"The inventory is right over there." Rarity pointed to a pile of clothes. "If you could sort them according to color and size, that would be just dandy."

"You can count on me." Spike smiled.

"I know I can." Rarity beamed. "And thanks for offering to help. I really appreciate it, Spikey."

"Anything for you..." Spike beamed.

Spike eagerly went to work. While he sorted, he couldn't help hearing Rarity talking with Orion, laughing at his jokes, the unmistakable sound of kissing... It was all Spike could do to keep himself from rounding on Orion in a jealous rage. If that one time around his birthday where he grew to size of that creature from Tokyony from that one movie with Bryan Cranberryston taught him anything, it was to not do that.

After completing his work, Spike returned home, unwilling to bear any more. Twilight and Flash were there to greet him, Twilight's stomach swelling slightly due to her recently-discovered pregnancy.

"So, how was your little trip to Rarity's?" Twilight asked.

"Terrible." Spike answered. "Orion was there... again!"

"Well, he is her coltfriend, y'know." Flash pointed out.

"Don't remind me." Spike grumbled. "I don't know why Rarity's wasting her time with him. She should just dump that loser already!"

"Spike, that isn't very nice." Twilight admonished him. "I know you have a crush on Rarity, but that doesn't give you right to insult her coltfriend."

"Yeah, yeah..." Spike growled. "Still, I wish she'd get over him, like she did with Blueblood and Trenderhoof..."

"Wish all you want." Twilight said sternly. "But whether she dumps him or not, you should respect Rarity's decision."

"Whatever, Twi." Spike rolled his eyes, leaving the room.

"Ah, puppy love." Flash sighed. "I know the feeling. I once had a huge crush on my elementary school teacher, miss Chalkhoof. When I found out she had a coltfriend, it really tore me up inside."

"Let's just hope Spike doesn't end up the same way." Twilight sighed.

A few days later, Spike and Twilight were on their way back from the market when Rarity trotted over to them.

"Oh, there you are!" She smiled. "I was just on my way to your place!"

"You look really excited, Rarity." Twilight noted. "What's going on?"

"The most marvelous thing." Rarity sighed. She levitated a ring out of her saddlebag and slipped it on her horn. "Orion proposed! We're getting married!"

"Oh, congratulations!" Twilight cheered.

Spike suddenly felt as if his heart had just been torn in half.

"He... you... what?" He gawked.

"Isn't it wonderful, Spike?" Rarity asked.

"Yeah, it's... great." Spike smiled so widely it hurt. "Congrats."

"Thank you both." Rarity beamed. "Oh, I simply must find the others and tell the news!"

Rarity raced away happily. As soon as she turned away, Spike's fake smile collapsed, replaced by a look of utter despair.

"Spike, are you okay?" Twilight asked.

"I'm fine." Spike sniffed, feeling his eyes watering. "I just... have to get home!"

Spike rushed home as fast as his little legs could carry him. Once there, he huddled into a dark corner, and started weeping shamelessly.

"Spike..." Twilight approached him, slightly out of breath from chasing him.

"Go away." Spike sniffed.

"I know you're upset about Rarity marrying Orion-" Twilight started.

"It's not fair!" Spike bawled. "She can't marry him! I love her!"

"It's okay, Spike..." Twilight consoled him.

"No, it's not." Spike sniffed. "Nothing will ever be okay again."

"Don't talk like that." Twilight told him.

"Please, just... go away." Spike mumbled.

Out of ideas, Twilight admitted defeat.

With each passing day, Spike fell ever deeper into depression. He could barely eat or sleep, thoughts of his darling Rarity and Orion plaguing him endlessly. He stayed in his little corner, utterly miserable. Nothing Twilight or Flash did could cheer him up. Then one day, he heard a very familiar voice.

"...Spike?"

Spike turned, and saw Rarity standing before him.

"Rarity?" He rubbed his eyes. "What are you doing here?"

"Twilight's told me what's been going on." Rarity declared.

"Oh, she did, did she?" Spike growled.

"Spike, you simply must stop this." Rarity told him. "I'd hate for you to waste your life pining over me."

"But, I..." Spike sniffed. "Rarity, I..."

"I know how much you care for me, Spike." Rarity sighed. "But deep down, you must know that we're too different for that kind of relationship. I cannot even begin to imagine how our children would turn out, and that is even if we were compatible…"

"M-maybe...but I really care about you…I never felt this way about anypony else!" Spike tried to defend, tears striking his eyes.

"I know you do, Spike. But things are what they are…and if you really do care for me as much as we both know you do, you'd want me to be happy." Rarity continued. "And Orion makes me happy."

"…He really does, doesn't he?" Spike asked.

"Really." Rarity nodded. "But you will always have a very special place in my heart, Spikey-Wikey."

Rarity hugged Spike, bringing a smile to his face for the first time in days.

"I would appreciate it if you could come to the wedding." Rarity told him. "It just won't be the same without you."

"Well... okay, I guess." Spike sighed. "I guess if you really want to marry that Orion guy, I should just accept it. I'll be there. Pinkie promise."

"Thank you, Spike." Rarity planted a small kiss on his cheek.

The wedding took place not long after that day. All of Rarity's friends were there, alongside their respective coltfriends: Applejack and Caramel, Pinkie Pie and Cherry Fizzy, Fluttershy and Forrest, and Rainbow Dash and Thunder Clap. Spike sat alongside Twilight and Flash, watching Rarity pledge herself to Orion with stoic acceptance (though he found himself looking away as they kissed).

At the reception, everypony danced along to the song Somepony Like You. Rarity and Orion, Fluttershy and Forrest, and Applejack and Caramel were dancing slowly and closely together, Rainbow and Thunder were dancing wildly (though not as wildly as Pinkie and Cherry), while Twilight and Flash were performing Twilight's "classic" dance moves. Spike caught up to the newlyweds after the song ended.

"Hey, Orion." He said sternly. "You'd better treat this wonderful lady right, or you'll have to answer to me."

"No worries there, little fellow." Orion said bemusedly.

"That's my Spikey-Wikey." Rarity nuzzled her head against his. "Always looking out for me."

After the reception, Rarity and Orion departed for their honeymoon, stopping only for the throwing of the bouquet. The bouquet ended up landing in the brim of Applejack's hat. Caramel gave her a suggestive look, which she countered by playfully shoving the flowers into his face.

Spike watched as the newlyweds' carriage took them out of Ponyville. Twilight and Flash came over to him.

"Are you okay, Spike?" Twilight asked.

"I'm getting there." Spike sighed. "I guess as long as Rarity's happy, I'm happy."

"That's the spirit, little buddy." Flash smiled.

"Flash is right. Spike." Twilight agreed. "I'm proud of you."

"Thanks, Twi." Spike grinned.

Spike would always care for Rarity, and that caring was what allowed him to finally let her go.