• Published 21st Jun 2014
  • 2,554 Views, 124 Comments

Love, Equestria Style - Bluecatcinema



A selection of romantic stories from the world of Equestria

  • ...
4
 124
 2,554

A Prince's Proposal

(This takes place not long after "Truth And Daring" and "Zebrican Safari".)

Prince Dusk Glow, son of Twilight Sparkle and Flash Sentry, was on a date with his marefriend, Dazzle, the daughter of Rarity and Orion. They were sitting at a table in Sugarcube Corner, sharing some hay smoothies. Dazzle had just returned from another modelling contract, and the pair were enjoying seeing each other again.

"It is so nice that we finally got to have this date." Dazzle smiled. "I feel like I haven't seen you in forever."

"Tell me about it." Dusk nodded. "If life were a series of books, I'd feel like I'd been pushed to the background for almost 8 stories..."

"So true." Dazzle agreed. "But at least it's been quiet. No Changeling invasions, no world-threatening villains, just regular, everyday stuff."

"Or as 'regular' as things get for a prince and a model." Dusk joked.

"True." Dazzle chuckled.

Dusk took a deep breath. The time had come for him to make his move.

"Um, Dazz?" He gulped. "There's something I'd like to ask you..."

"What is it?" Dazzle asked.

"Well, I... uh..." Dusk mumbled, fishing around in his saddlebag for something. "I'd like to know..."

Just as Dusk was about to reveal the object, and pop his question, Slot and Vinyl Scratch entered (Slot had come to Ponyville to visit his marefriend).

"I'm tellin' ya, babe, Rocky Rodeo was at his best during his early years." Slot declared, running his hoof through his short mane (Which had only recently started to grow back after Sonny torched it).

"No way!" Vinyl countered. "His later years was when he really ruled!"

"Yeah, right." Slot snorted. "Remember 'Homestead Hullabaloo'? Now that was a classic!"

"Mouldy oldie, more like it." Vinyl smirked. "'Tumbelweed Trails' was by far the best!"

"The best sellout, you mean." Slot sneered. "He'd totally lost his musical soul by then. He was just another corporate shill."

"Was not!" Vinyl yelled.

"Was too!" Slot yelled back.

"What was it you wanted to ask me, Dusk?" Dazzle asked.

"Well, I-" Dusk said, flustered.

"Later stuff!" Vinyl insisted.

"I wanted to know-" Dusk stumbled on. "Will you-"

"Early stuff!" Slot growled.

"Maybe I should just save it for another time." Dusk sighed. "Let's go. It's getting kind of loud in here."

"Oh, okay." Dazzle nodded, clearly disappointed.

Dusk walked Dazzle home, then returned to his own. He had never really thought of his home as a "castle", but more along the lines of a library, due to the vast amounts of books his mother had filled it with.

"Hi, honey." Twilight smiled as he entered. "How was your date with Dazzle?"

"Fine." Dusk sighed. "I'll be in my room, if anypony needs me."

"You okay, sport?" Flash asked. "You look a little... downtrodden."

"I'm fine, dad." Dusk insisted. "Really."

But Dusk was not fine. As he entered his room, he pulled a small velvet box out of his saddlebag. He had planned to propose to Dazzle that day. Everything was perfect... until they were interrupted. Dusk knew better than to resent ponies for such a thing, but he still felt angry at Slot and Vinyl at ruining his proposal.

"Ah, well." Dusk sighed. "If at first you don't succeed, try, try, try again."

By the time he went to bed that night, Dusk had already formulated a new proposal plan, one that was guaranteed to succeed. Barring any further interruptions, of course...

The next morning, Dusk, having finished breakfast, prepared to depart the castle, a picnic basket at hoof. His sister, Starlight Twinkle, came downstairs and let out a sigh.

"Whew, finally. I feel like I had been trapped in my room for like, three years." She declared.

"What are you talking about?" Dusk frowned. "You were in there for only twenty minutes."

"Same diff." Starlight shrugged. "So, what are you up to today, bro?"

"Oh, just going to see Dazzle." Dusk declared, hoisting up the basket.

"Say no more." Starlight smiled. "You two enjoy your smoochy time."

"We will." Dusk chuckled.

Dusk rushed over to Carousel Boutique, and knocked on the door. Dazzle answered.

"Hey, Dazz." Dusk smiled. "You up for a picnic? I figured it'd make up for yesterday."

"You don't have to do that." Dazzle grinned. "But seeing as how I enjoy your company immensely, why not?"

"Good answer." Dusk chuckled.

They travelled to the park, where they sat together on the picnic, enjoying the food, and nuzzling against each other. It all seemed perfect.

'This is it.' Dusk thought, reaching for the ring box.

"Dazzle...?" He smiled.

Suddenly, Lars crashed into their picnic basket, splattering food everywhere.

"Whoops." He cringed, as a Frisbee flew overhead. "Sorry, kids!"

"Oh, Lars." Lyra sighed. "I'll get it."

"Sorry again." Lars shrugged, as he followed his marefriend. "I'm not really what you'd call 'the athletic type'..."

"Ugh, not again..." Dusk groaned, shaking off the food mess.

"So much for our picnic, huh?" Dazzle sighed. "Now I have to go wash this stuff out of my mane."

"Me too." Dusk groaned. "It wouldn't be proper for a prince to walk around looking like this, after all..."

"See you later, Dusk." Dazzle declared, as she headed for home.

"Yeah..." Dusk sighed. "Later..."

Frustrated at another failure, Dusk returned home, where he put together another plan.

The following morning, he picked up Dazzle, and they took the train to Canterlot. There, they went to a cafe, and sat at an outside table.

"This was really sweet of you, Dusky." Dazzle cooed. "Taking little old me all the way to Canterlot."

"Well, little old you is worth it." Dusk beamed.

Meanwhile, Salt and Vinny were holding a random pony upside down from the roof.

"I'm not going to say this one more time, where in the buck did you hide the loot?!" Salt demanded.

"Aahh! Oh, crud! I don't know anything! Come on!" The pony shrieked.

"I don't know, you're awfully heavy, man." Vinny smirked.

"Lie to me again! I wanna feel your body sliding through my delicate hooves." Salt sneered.

"I don't know crud!" The stallion insisted.

"Woh!" Vinny loosened his grip a little, faking a horrified expression. "I can't... I can't hold you!

"I don't wanna die! I don't wanna die!" The stallion whimpered. "Okay, okay! It's at a warehouse, Derby Street."

"I'm almost disappointed." Salt tutted.

"Get me up!" The stallion begged.

"Alright, let's pull him up." Salt told Vinny.

"No, wait." Vinny said, suddenly struggling. "I'm not kidding anymore!"

"What?" Salt asked.

"I can't lift him up!" Vinny groaned.

"What?!" Salt yelped.

"I can't lift him!" Vinny repeated. "Shoot. I've only done this one other time and it was a really lanky nerd-type of guy."

"Lift my flank up!" The stallion yelped. "You bucking put nopony over no ground you can't bucking lift 'em out!"

"Okay, okay." Salt muttered. "Uh... just tuck your head and relax your body."

"Man, what the buck?! Get me up! Get me up!" The stallion screamed.

The two struggled to lift him up when suddenly, the pony slipped through their hooves. It was at that moment that Dusk was about to try proposing again.

"Okay Dazzle, will you-" Suddenly, the pony fell onto the table and smashed it. "What the-!"

Salt and Vinny looked on in embarrassment.

"Ahhhh." They winced, looking down at the stallion, as other ponies surrounded him.

"Thank... thank you again." Salt said awkwardly. "Thank you."

"That was on me. I take that." Vinny admitted.

The two slowly backed away.

"Oh... my internal organs..." The stallion groaned.

'Another perfect moment ruined!' Dusk groaned internally.

Dusk and Dazzle hastily finished their food, and returned to Ponyville, shaken by what had just happened. As they left, Redheart and Berry Punch arrived.

"Salt, what are you doing up there?!" Redheart demanded.

"Uh... nothing?" Salt shrugged.

"You promised us you wouldn't be working on this trip!" Berry learned.

"Ber, I..." Vinny winced.

"So much for our romantic trip to the capital!" Redheart glared.

"We'll make it up to you!" Salt climbed down. "How about dinner? At the fanciest restaurant in Canterlot?"

"With the best wine?" Vinny added.

"Redheart and Berry looked at each other, then back at their coltfriends... and smiled.

"Okay." They chorused.

"Yes!" Salt and Vinny cheered.

The two couples walked happily down the street, leaving the stallion sprawled in the wreckage of the table.

"Little help?" The stallion moaned. "Anypony?"

The next day, Dusk and Dazzle were walking around Ponyville. Things were so quiet, so peaceful, so... perfect.

'There goes...' Dusk thought, reaching for the box. "Daz-"

Suddenly, a nearby house erupted in flames. Sonny and Bon Bon rushed.

"Ah, buck!" Sonny yelped.

"What happened?" Bon Bon yelled.

"I only turned the oven up a little!" Sonny declared. "How was I to know it'd blow up like that?"

"Well, it is an old oven." Bon Bon noted. "It may have finally given up the ghost."

"Need a little help?" Dusk asked.

"If possible, prince Dusk." Bon Bon nodded.

"Don't forget about me." Dazzle declared.

Using her horns, Dusk, Dazzle and Sonny manage to snuff out with the fire with controlled magic bursts.

"Hoo." Sonny sighed. "Glad that's over."

"Thanks, everypony." Bon Bon smiled.

"Oh, my." Dazzle looked at her face in a mirror. "We're covered in soot!"

"We are?" Dusk gasped. 'Great. Another chance down the drain.'

"We'd better go clean up." Dazzle sighed.

A couple of days later, Dusk invited Dazzle to a Sapphire Shores concert in the park. After the concert, he made his move.

"Dazzle, I-" He started.

"Well, look who it is." Gold Chain approached, followed by his sister, Silver Plate.

"Still hanging out with riff-raff, huh?" Silver said disdainfully.

"Riff-raff?!" Dazzle growled. "I happen to be a top model! What's your day job again?"

"I don't need one." Silver smirked. "Just like Dusk. He deserves a better class of mare than you..."

"Like you, perhaps?" Dazzle challenged.

"Ye-no!" Silver spluttered, blushing. "Why would I want to be with a loser like him?"

"Well said, sis." Gold declared. "C'mon, let's get outta here."

"Good riddance." Dazzle seethed. "Those two make me so mad!"

Dusk sighed. Once again, the moment had been lost.

Afterwards, Dusk was walking home, beating himself up over his latest failure, when, passing by the town hall, he saw Murray rappelling down on a rope made of tied up blankets from Mayor's office. He stopped midway as he noticed Dusk.

"...What are you doing?" Dusk asked.

"Uh..." Murray looked at the curtain rope. "I was testing the strength of this here fabric." He tugged on it. "Yup, strong enough to hold a stallion."

"Really?" Dusk narrowed his eyes. "You wouldn't lie to a prince, would you?"

"Okay, ya got me." Murray admitted with a small chuckle. "I've just been visiting my gal, the mayor. However, she's always busy, so I decide to 'drop in' unexpected. It gives our relationship a little bit of 'spice', y'know?"

"I see." Dusk nodded. "I thought you were a burglar, or something... Well, bye."

"Something wrong, kid?" Murray asked. "You look a little glum."

"Oh, it's just..." Dusk swallowed. "I'm in love with the greatest mare ever. I want to propose to her, but things keep getting messed up by some random ponies."

"Whoa, that sounds annoying." Murray noted.

"I just want the proposal to be perfect." Dusk declared. "Dazzle deserves the best."

Murray chuckled lightly.

"Did I say something funny?" Dusk frowned.

"Nah." Murray shook his head, as he then 'lounged' while suspended in mid-air. "You're just overthinking it, princey. Your proposal doesn't have to be perfect. The best things in life are hardly ever perfect. You don't need no fancy or cushy setting. As long as you make that proposal with your heart instead of your head, it won't matter to that gal of yours. Trust me."

"Well, I guess it's worth a shot." Dusk declared. "Thanks... I don't think I got your name?"

"Murray." Murray smiled.

"Murray." Dusk smiled. "Thanks for the advice, Murray."

"No problem." Murray smiled.

Dusk turned and dashed off in the direction of Carousel Boutique. Murray was left dangling from the window still, looking off after Dusk.

"What a nice kid." Murray smiled, "Reminds me of myself at his age…"

Suddenly, the makeshift rope snapped, and he fell to the ground.

"Ow!" He glanced up. "May!"

The Mayor stuck her head out.

"Oh, so sorry dear, I thought you were already gone." She apologized.

"Nope. Got hung up by the princess's kid." Murray declared, as he rubbed his back. "And then I was 'let go'. ...Ouch"

Stopping only to pick up some flowers (Roses - Dazzle's favorite), Dusk made his way to the Boutique, and knocked on the door once again.

"Dusk?" Dazzle answered. "Back so soon, huh?" She giggled. "Guess you just can't get enough of me."

"So true." Dusk nodded, giving Dazzle the flowers.

"Oh, Dusk..." Dazzle beamed, sniffing the flowers. "You old romantic..."

"Dazzle, there's something I've been wanting to ask you for a while, now." Dusk declared, taking out the box.

"Is that...?" Dazzle gasped.

"It is." Dusk smiled, opening the box to reveal a horn ring with a sapphire stone embedded in it. "I'm just going to come out and say it: Dazzle, will you marry me?"

Dazzle stared, open-mouthed.

"I... I'm sorry if it's not that flashy a proposal." Dusk said worriedly. "I tried it before, like on the picnic, and the trip to Canterlot. I wanted it to be perfect, but something always seemed to get in the way, and-"

"Yes." Dazzle said quietly.

"I didn't want to keep messing up-" Dusk continued. "Wait, what did you just say?"

"I said 'yes'." Dazzle rubbed her hoof against his cheek. "I will marry you."

"YES!!" Dusk cheered. "FINALLY!"

Almost giddy with excitement, Dusk placed the ring on Dazzle's horn. Just then, Gold and Silver came by.

"What are you losers up to this time?" Gold asked.

"Dusk just proposed, that's what!" Dazzle gloated.

"He... what?" Silver gasped, crestfallen.

"We're getting married." Dusk declared. "And rest assured, you two won't be invited to the wedding."

"Yeah, like I'd want to... be at your lame..." Silver's eyes filled with tears. "I'm outta here!"

Silver ran off down the street, her eyes gushing.

"Sis, wait!" Gold called after her. He then glared at Dusk and Dazzle, "Now look what you done!"

He ran off after his sister. He was halfway down the street when a stallion fell on him.

"Sorry!" Vinny yelled from the roof above. "Slipped!"

"Why don't we ever just use magic to hold them?" Salt wondered.

"Because we prefer the personal touch." Vinny shrugged.

"Wow, this is really happening." Dusk smiled. "I pulled it off."

"That you did, Dusky." Dazzle pecked him on the cheek.

"So, you don't mind the way I proposed?" Dusk asked.

"Of course not." Dazzle chuckled. "It's the thought that counts, after all. And I'm thinking you'll be the best husband ever."

"And you'll be the best wife." Dusk kissed her on the lips. "Love you."

"Love you too." Dazzle purred.

Later that evening, Mayor Mare was entering her office, when she heard violins beginning to play…

"What the-?" She gasped.

Within her office, there was a small orchestra, playing a slow, romantic tune. There were white rose petals (her favorite kind of flower) scattered all over the floor, and standing in the middle of the room, was Murray.

"Hello, May." Murray chuckled.

"Murray?" The Mayor gasped. "What is all this?"

"I could tell you." Murray smiled. "But why not show you?"

Murray tugged a rope, causing a banner with the words "Marry Me?" to drop down.

"Well?" Murray beamed. "What says you, love?"

"Oh, Murray…I say yes!" The Mayor chuckled.

"Really?" Murray grinned. "Not afraid of being married to a criminal?"

"Not as much as I was." The Mayor nodded. "Besides, how could I say no to such a stylish proposal?"

"That is how Murder Revolver-Ocelot Napoleon rolls." Murray declared, as he pulled Mayor closer and gave a smile that could easily make any mare melt. "And that isn't the only thing I know how to do… stylishly."

"Oh, my…" Mayor blushed heavily, as her and Murray's mouths met in a loving kiss…

Needless to say, the night ended on a high note for two lovely couples that night…