• Published 22nd Jun 2014
  • 1,396 Views, 27 Comments

Big Mac's Biceps, Now in Bulk - gingersassy



Big Mac's gay for Bulk Biceps, and Caramel's straight, or is he?

  • ...
20
 27
 1,396

Chapter 4: Or Hardly Working?

Big Mac’s Biceps, Now in Bulk
Chapter 4

Big Mac lifts his eyelids slowly, the soft morning light surrounding him. He really didn’t want to get out of bed just yet; he was having the best dream, and didn’t want to leave it quite yet if he could get back to it. Luckily for him, he remembered it was Sunday, which means he didn’t have to get up until at least noon, and he knew Applejack wouldn’t be bothering him either: She had walked in on something private on more than one Sunday in the past, and now he was never disturbed. Slowly, he closes his eyes, and tries to return to the dream.

Big Mac opens his eyes and in front of him is an unfamiliar landscape, with nopony in sight. “Bulk?” he calls, and again, and again, yet nopony answers him. Eventually, after looking around everywhere, he decides to look up. There he sees a dark pegasus, no, alicorn, silhouetted by the silvery moon behind her. “Princes Luna, where am I?” Big Mac asks.

“Thou art in our dream; thy name is Big Macintosh, no?”

“Eeyup, but you can just call me Big Mac.”

“Alright, Big Mac, let us explain to thee why we brought thee here.” Big Mac nods. “We have been watching thy dreams, or should we say nightmares, since our release from the moon, and from Nightmare Moon, at first, nothing seemed off to us, and so we attempted to intervene. Thy nightmare, however, was completely immune to our magic, and so we had neither a way to stop it, nor inform you of its difference, until now, that is, when thou entered into your dream.”

Big Mac’s eyes widened, remembering that course he took on Old Canterlot, and how ‘thou’ was singular informal, and how ‘you’ (or more accurately ‘ye’, ‘ye’ was a subject pronoun and ‘you’ was its object pronoun back then) was both singular formal, and plural, and since she had been referring to him with ‘thee’, that meant that ‘your’ was… “What do you mean our dream?”

Luna’s face softened, “My, thou art a clever pony, no?” Somewhere, at another time, in another place, in another universe, a dark unicorn stallion with a sandy blonde mane shuddered, and started looking around scared, fearing something bad was about to happen.

“Eeyup” Big Mac beamed.

“Well, then, let us get to the point.” Big Mac nods again. “Before we tell you why exactly we brought thee here, we would also like to inform thee that we will be sending a letter to Miss Twilight Sparkle today, and we would like thee to speak with her of its contents. At any rate, we assume thee returned to your dreams to reenter the dream thou enjoyed?”

“Eeyup”

“Thou cannot, however return to a shared dream, without all parties returning to it, and so had we not brought thee here the moment we noticed thy return, thou would have returned to thine agonizing nightmare. So awaken, as we will do so ourselves to send a letter through Spike, and go speak with Miss Twilight Sparkle.”

“Eeyup.” The world around him begins to swirl, with light encroaching on the darkness of the night, and the light swallows him whole.”

Big Mac opens his eyes. That could not have been a figment of his imagination, but even if it were, a gentle morning walk to the library wouldn’t be a waste, nonetheless. He walks downstairs, and grabs an orange? It seems his cousins are in town, no matter, he can see them later. He had a little purple unicorn to visit.

On his way there, he saw a certain white pegasus mare exiting the hospital. She didn’t look so good. “Hi Mommy Munchkins.” He calls out, walking up to her. “Are you okay?” he asks her.

“Oh? And why would a young strapping stallion such as yourself take an interest in how I’m doing?” She flirts.

“Well, you don’t look too good, and if you needed time to be with Bulk Biceps, I could cancel our date, I wouldn’t mind. I know what it’s like to lose your parents without a chance to say your goodbyes.” He says.

“Wait, my little Bulkie has a date? Let alone one with a stallion?”

“Eeyup.” Big Mac hopes at this point that he didn’t do ‘Bulkie” (hehe) a disservice.

“Well, I suppose it doesn’t matter what your gender, if he’s happy, he’s happy, it’s just, I would have liked to have seen some grandfoals before…” She sighs and looks up at a surprisingly understanding face, and feels a little better, continuing, “At any rate, I still have a few years left in me, but, I feel like he should have a w- uh, spouse before trying to raise foals, you understand?”

“Eeyup”

“But don’t you dare tell him okay?”

“Eeyup… but… he doesn’t know? Isn’t it kinda…” he searches for another word, but doesn’t find one, “obvious?”

She chuckles “Well, not every foal can be born a genius. He thinks that I’ve simply made some friends out of the doctors and nurses, and that we like to have a lot of sleepovers. But please, don’t tell him, I’d rather I do it myself, if you don’t mind.”

“Eeyup, though, if I may…”

“Cancer.”

“Right,” Still curious, but not wanting to be pushy, he leaves it at that, “well I gotta be some place.” He says, then turns toward the library.

As he walks away, he hears behind him, “Don’t you dare think of cancelling that date though.” He smiles at that. He most definitely won’t, he thought to himself. Continuing on, he nears the library tree, and before he even gets close enough to knock on the door, it is opened magically.

“Come on in, Big Mac.” A friendly voice greets him. “Princes Luna relayed a message to me via Princes Celestia.” Walking into the library, Twilight’s home, he sees a table set with three teacups. “Have a seat.” Twilight beckons. He barely notices Rarity standing in the next room.

“Alright.”

“So I’ll cut to the chase. Luna’s special talent depicted in her cutie mark is not exactly about raising the moon, she only became able to do that after becoming a princess. Her special talent is, and always was, dream-seeing, just as Celestia’s is, and always was growing plants, of any kind. In all of Luna’s life, she has never seen any naturally occurring dreams that eluded her ability to persuade and shape the content of the dream itself. That said, she told me that on more than one occasion she has stumbled across what she called,” looking down at the letter, “‘artificial magically induced’ dreams, which are most commonly nightmares. She has absolutely no power over these. Normally, these dreams were overseen by unicorns during the duration. However, a powerful unicorn can enchant a gemstone with a dream ‘template’, let’s call it, that can have a specific target or not, but when close enough to whatever its target, when asleep, that target will normally be forced into the dream template cast into the gem. The more magical energy expended into the gemstone, the further from the gemstone the target can be and still be afflicted. She said that she has seen you have these nightmares on many occasions, when did you start having them?”

Big Mac frowned, he couldn’t have stooped so low as to have something like this crafted, could he? “About a month after I came out to my pa.” Twilights ears went flat against her head

“Oh, Big Mac, you don’t think…” Twilight starts.

“Eeyup. So is that why Rarity’s here, to help look for the gemstone it seems my pa had commissioned?”

“Why, yes darling, it is. Don’t you worry, I will do my best to help find this gemstone. Perhaps I should start with what you have on your person?” Rarity coos morosely as she steps into the room.

“Eeyup”

“Alright, here we go.” Rarity starts her gemstone seeking spell, one of the few spells that Twilight herself couldn’t manage to perform successfully. “Well, the only gemstone on you at the moment seems to be an enchanted gem in the center of your yolk, but the enchantment is a strength enchantment.” Twilight looks at her unsure, “Twilight you know as well as I do that being able to tell what type of magic is used is simpler than mere levitation, and almost all magic training a foal can get drills the feeling of each of these magic types into our heads.”

“Sorry, you’re right, so anyway, I suppose that means your room is our next target, but Rarity, maybe you should keep the spell going as we’re on our way, it might be hidden in town, with a bit magic put into it than most unicorns, we just want to be sure, okay.”

“Absolutely, so Big Mac, are you ready to head back to Sweet Apple Acres?”

“Eeyup”

“Twilight dear? This kind of spell would fall under illusion, would it not?” Rarity says not ten seconds after leaving the library tree.

“It would, why?”

“And would it, say, be possible to enchant lesser gemstones with such a spell, such as pyrite, or fool’s gold?”

“I suppose, but it would take a ton of it to do so.”

“And what if there were several literal tons of it?”

“Well yes, it would definitely be possible, but so much fool’s gold would not be quite so easy to hide.”

“Unless of course if it were about five miles below us…” She looks at Twilight, whose eyes open ever so slowly, like a progress bar showing the speed at which she was processing just what her friend was saying, until she fully opened her eyes in understanding.

“Twilight it took you twice as long to get her point as it did me, but do me a favor, and check to make sure that that’s actually holding the enchantment that’s bugging me. If it’s not avoidable, I’d rather know for certain.”

Twilight nods, and focuses, reaching out to try to touch the gemstone with her own magic, and her eyes betray what she finds, “Big Mac, I will try to see if there’s anything I can do to put up a barrier to block the enchantment, but I’m not so sure it’ll work, are you alright while I work on finding a way to stop this?”

“Eeyup, I’ve lived with the nightmares for years, a little longer won’t hurt.” Upon saying this, he keeps on going back home, leaving two empathetic mares behind him. He spends the rest of the day as usual, his cousins and siblings nowhere to be found, like nothing even happened, which to him, it didn’t, because nothing had changed, and he was going to have to deal with the nightmares again. A small part of him was actually okay with that, because it meant he could still hear his father’s voice from time to time, a voice he missed, despite their quarrels.


Bulk Biceps’ wings were killing him, and he expected as much, that’s why he packed so much training in yesterday, because he knew no matter how much he trained his wings the day before, they’d hurt bad today, because he never trained them. The only time he used them was when he had a family reunion in Cloudsdale, and even then, the second he got there, he landed on the cloud and walked the rest of the way. So he decided to just sit around all day, preparing himself mentally for this next week, having already done his best to prepare himself physically. Speaking of which, he is so hungry he could eat a horse, without even caring about the social ramifications. As he walks upstairs, he hears something, somepony and finally sees a smiling familiar face. “Mommy! You’re home!” he squeals as he tackle-hugs her.

She giggles, and says, “So when were you going to tell me you had such a strappingly hot date? How about this, you tell me all about it, and everything else that’s happened since I’ve been gone over breakfast; I want to hear it all.” He nods and wags his tail, then follows her into the kitchen, and spends the rest of the day catching up, including how Pinky Pie had brought cake and balloons, although, he still wasn’t sure why, but Mommy said it didn’t matter so he dropped it. He had the best Mommy ever.