• Published 19th Jun 2014
  • 484 Views, 0 Comments

The Duchess' Mansion - PonySage86



A young woman ends up working for a well known Duchess.

  • ...
6
 0
 484

A Return And Farewells

VINYL'S POV

"What's that noise? Man what time is it?" I reach over to pick up the clock on the nightstand, It's a little difficult because the nightstand is to the right of the bed and I'm on the left side but it looks like Tavi's not in bed at the moment so I manage to grab it.

"It's only noon? Who gets up this early?" Well lots of people probably but whatever. I hear the strange noise I heard earlier but now that I'm not in the middle of waking up I can tell what it is. I hear an instrument, it's like a string instrument I think, not as deep as Tavi's Cello But not as light as Lyra's harp thingy(Lyre). It doesn't take me long to realize what it is though. I want to find out where the sound's coming from but I gotta get dressed first(Don't ask) and find my shades.

Doesn't take me long to get ready, I just throw on a tank top and camo pants plus my boots, then I stand outside me and Tavi's room and listen closely to find out where the music is coming from. It's pretty cool actually, I blast my music at full volume all the time but my hearing is like, super good, like there are servants I pass in the halls that probably don't even hear the music at all. I follow the sound until I find a staircase, I hurry up until it until I see a door at the top, opening it I end up on the roof of all places. I look around until I find what I knew I was gonna see. Tavi standing there in her normal blouse and skirt (Missing her bow-tie though) playing one of her instruments, it's like a tiny version of her Cello, she can hold it in one hand, in this case her left hand, With her chin resting on part of it while she has the stick thing in her right. I walk over to her and I guess she hears my foot steps cause she stops playing and faces me. Her deep purple eyes tell what I already suspected.

"What you so worried about Tavi?" Tavi lowers her playing stick and her Mini Cello and looks away from me.

"Why would you think I am worried about anything Vinyl? I enjoy playing music and it is lovely out today so I see no reason not to do what I am presently doing" Tavi huffs at me. She is so cute, thinking I'd buy that.

"Well lets see, you're in a mansion with your friends but instead your up here alone. You must have left the room quickly since you forgot your bow-tie. Plus I know you only play your Mini Cello when your worried, kinda a weird habit of yours" I grin while Tavi sighs and rubs her forehead with a couple of fingers on her right hand.

"First of all Vinyl,this instrument is called a Viola not a Mini Cello. And secondly I am fi-" I raise one of my eyebrows and point to the Viola I guess it's called and Tavi sighs. "I suppose I do not play this instrument that often. Very well, I will admit something is bothering me, Only because I know you will not drop the subject until I do" kneeling down, Tavi puts her Mini Cello(Viola) into its case and once it's safely put away she turns to address me again.

"It is my performance for the Queen and Princess. I have performed for them in the past,even in a solo, in Canterlot Hall and the Castle but always with the rest of the Orchestra around me. But now I am to perform alone within the throne room itself, not even mentioning the fact that I have no idea why they have summoned me in the first place."

"They probably just heard about how much ass you kick on the Cello. I can't exactly blame em for wanting a private concert, I've thoroughly enjoyed the ones I've gotten" Encase she doesn't remember exactly what I'm talking about I wiggle my eyebrows at her and a blush spreads all across her face.

"Vinyl, that is inappropriate" Tavi says while looking away from me. I slowly walk up and place my hands on her shoulders causing her to look at me. I give her a gently smile.

"Ya gotta stop worrying about this performance Tavi. Sure your orchestra pals won't be there, but I've got your back, I'll be there to support you the whole time" I reach into my pocket and pull out a little pink Bow-tie, I bring it up and tie it around Tavi's neck. "You'll do great"

"YEAH!! YOU GOT THIS TAVI!!" Me and Tavi hear a voice yell from the ground, but before we can walk over to the edge and look down a large blast of confetti rockets into the sky before falling back down and landing not far away. Out of the mass of confetti pops Patty carrying lots of balloons and a cake that is somehow still intact. She dashes over to us quickly.

"It's like Vinyl said Tavi, you're gonna do great. Those Royal sisters won't have any idea what hit them they'll be so blown away"

"I, appreciate the enthusiasm Patri- I mean Patty. But uh, how did you know what we were talking about and where we were?" Tavi asks slowly while taking the cake I assume is meant for her from Patty, who just chuckles and waves her hand dismissively.

"Ha, please. I know everything" Patty says while taking the balloons she has and tieing them to little weights she pulls out of nowhere and placing them around the roof. Me and Tavi look at each other and shrug, not really sure how to respond to that.

"So what you doin Patty" I ask as she continues placing balloons around the rooftop.

"Well I didn't throw you girls a welcome party when you got here, since I know how you feel about that kinda thing Tavi"

"Well that was very considerate of you Patty"

"Plus I didn't throw Teresa one either since all those characters needed to be introduced when she got here and I didn't have time during the early chapters" Seeming happy about her balloon placement, Patty walks back over to us. Me and Tavi look confused at each other before I ask the question on both our minds.

"Where ya going with this Patty?"

"Well Tavi only has a couple of days before her performance right? So I know you guys are going to leave today which makes me very sad. But then it hit me, I can throw a 'Welcome Teresa' and 'Goodbye Vinyl and Tavi, see ya next time' Party at the same time and make it a double party!"

"Patty I-"

"Trust me Tavi, You'll have a great time, this is the only party I'll make you attend K? Good glad we got that settled. Vinyl think you could help me with the music? we can get your deck set up up here"

"Sounds like a great idea to me!" I outstretch my hand and Patty puts her hand on top of mine.

"I will help too, I want to make sure this party does not get to insane" Tavi says while putting her hand on top of Patty's.

"Alright girls, let's make this a party so amazing anyone who gets super wasted will regret not remembering what happened for the rest of their lives" Patty declares with a huge grin, one spreads over my face too and even Tavi has a little smile.

"1...2...3...PARTY!!" We all shout together and throw our hands into the air. Patty then gives out instructions on what we're gonna need to do and we get to work immediately.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

MEANWHILE, RARITY'S STUDY: TERESA'S POV

"You alright Egghead?" I look up upon hearing Renee's voice, my head had been dropping while I sit in the chair in front of Rarity's desk. Renee brought me in here for a reason I have not been told yet, I'm sitting on a chair in the middle of Rarity's study with Renee standing directly in front of the desk leaning back with her hands on the wood.

"Huh? Yeah, Yeah I'm OK" Renee stares at me like she doesn't quite believe me which makes sense since it isn't true. I got next to no sleep as I had stayed up till early in the morning going over all the magic books in the library as well as the books Luna had sent me. Every book confirmed what I had overheard, No one besides The royal sisters has ever been able to manipulate the weather with Aeromancy, some Aeromancy masters in the past had managed to control a single cloud to some extent, But what Renee and the sisters do is beyond anything I've read.

"So I'm guessing you're wondering why you're here?" Renee looks to me and continues when I Nod. "You remember when I saved you from those timber wolves in the Everfree Forest a couple days ago? Well I may have accidentally shown you something you weren't supposed to see"

"You controlling the weather with your Aeromancy?"

"Well...Yeah, how'd ya guess? Oh well, doesn't matter, the point is I need you to keep that little ability a secret OK? You may not know but not many people can do that. And I'd really appreciate you not telling anyone."

"You have my word Renee, But May I ask why exactly?"

Renee Inhales sharply and lets the breath out slowly. "That's the tricky part, I don't really know".

"I'm Sorry, I don't understand"

"Early on in my recruitment I used my aeromancy for-" Renee Hesitates for a moment, I realize she was likely about to mention The event her and Rarity were talking about last night. Eventually she decides against explaining her past "I used my Aeromancy for.... Reasons".

"After I did though, somehow the Queen found out about it and actually summoned me personally. I met her and she told me not to show anyone but those I trust completely my ability. She kinda figured I wouldn't be able to keep a secret like this from everyone" Renee thinks for a moment "Correctly figured by the way".

"So When I Saved You in the forest, I just kinda got caught up in the moment and used my aeromancy to strike that lightning and make it rain."

"Thank You for telling me that Renee, It's nice to know you trust me."

"I don't really have a choice since I already showed you it".

"I still appreciate the trust." The room is silent for a bit before I decide to ask a question.

"So You really don't know why Queen Celestia wanted you to keep this a secret?"

"No clue, I tried asking her and she just said 'I simply request you don't reveal this information, unless it is someone you trust completely, with your life' And That's All I Got out of her." Renee just shrugs like it doesn't really matter and begins drumming her fingers on the desk.

"Well I Guess That's It. Hope I Didn't interrupt anything important you had planned today. I'll be seeing you" And With that Renee begins walking towards the door. I Quickly stand up and follow after her.

"I Actually Don't Have Anything Planned Today, What Are You Up To?" I Ask Renee After Catching Up To Her In The Hallway.

"I Was Kinda Planning On Taking A Nap Or Something-" Renee Stops For A Second. "Wait I Just Remembered I Did Have Something Going On Today."

"Whats That Renee"

Renee Simply Grins At Me. "Come With Me, I Wanna Show You Something."

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________-____

MEANWHILE IN SWEETIE/SARAH'S ROOM: SWEETIE'S POV

What should I do? What CAN I do? Me And Sarah are sitting in our room, my bed on the left side of the door and hers on the right side. Sarah is sitting on her bed with her body facing in my direction without looking at me herself. Shes looking to her right side, at her remaining wing, She does this sometimes. She'll stretch it to it's maximum length before pulling it back to her side and flapping it a few times, then she'll just stare at it awhile without sparing a glance at the side of her body lacking a wing, this kinda ritual thing is the only time she moves her wing all day everyday, for obvious reasons.

She never talks about it but it's obvious when shes thinking about her condition even when she isn't looking at her wing, I've tried to talk to her about it before but she always pretends shes fine and changes the subject. Rarity told me once shes bottling it up and its not healthy for her to do and we should try to get her to talk about it. But I've never seen her with a bottle. Renee says she's stubborn just like she is and isn't gonna talk about it unless she wants to. So I usually just sit here on my bed waiting for her to get done with her wing and do what she always does, hop up and shout "Lets find April, I've got a great idea!" But Not today, It looks like something is wrong so I take a closer look at Sarah's wing And I'm surprised by what I see. Her wing is a mess, it hasn't been getting taken care of because it's never used. It looks kinda dirty and some feathers look out of place probably because of all the games we play, how had she managed to hide that from Rarity and Renee? Quickly I Stand up from my bed and walk over to Sarah, once I'm standing in front of her she looks up at me confused.

"Uh, did you need something Sweetie?"

Whoops, I Hadn't exactly had a plan when I walked over, Sorta did that without thinking. I put my right hand on the back of my head and and laugh nervously while trying to think of what to do when a light bulb goes off in my head, either that or the faulty bulb in the light above me turned back on randomly, Point is I have an Idea.

"I wanna help you" I tell Sarah before climbing on the bed and sitting behind her.

"With what?" I don't answer her, I just reach my hand up and softly grip her wing with one hand and begin moving her feathers with the other.

"I saw Renee doing this once, she told me it was important for Avians to take care of their wings or they'll get uncomfortable or even start to hurt if it gets to bad. I can't do much to help, but this looked pretty easy when Renee did it."

Sarah looks kinda confused, she probably hasn't done this herself before. But after a bit of me moving feathers around she looks like she remembers something and just stares forward with a content look.

Sarah's wing isn't to big so it doesn't take me long to finish up with it, especially since it wasn't actually as bad as it had looked from my bed.

"That looks ok I think, Hows it feel?" Sarah flaps her wing a few times before it folds up and rests on her back.

"It feels better, you did a good job" Sarah giggles "But Renee is better at preening".

"Huh? Whats That?" Sarah looks at me with a raised eyebrow before laughing some more.

"Really? You just did that without knowing what it is?" I just nod my head "Preening is what we call fixing up our wings, Both Avians and Birds do it. Renee used to do it for me all the time when I was real little, cause I couldn't do it myself very well. I'd kinda forgotten about it actually, since I don't use it for anything these days." After saying that Sarah gets quiet again and faces forward. I try to think of something to say, something that might get her to talk.

"Sarah I-"

"Sometimes I swear I feel it" That stops me in my tracks.

"Uh, feel what Sarah?"

"My wing." My eyes go wide and my mouth hangs open when she says that, I take a few seconds for my brain to restart before speaking.

"You....Feel It?"

"Not really, but sometimes when I'm just sitting around it feels like it's still there and sometimes I instinctively try to flap it But it's still in that mangled shape it was in before it was amputated and it hurts, it hurts so bad." I lean over from where I'm sitting and see the beginnings of tears under Sarah's Eyes. "I try and ignore it, the pain I mean, that's why I focus on my wing in the morning, to keep my mind off it."

"I can't imagine how hard this must be for you"

"It's ok" Sarah shoots me a grin that makes her look just like Renee "Figured I might as well tell someone that eventually".

"You're fine" I grumble before smacking Sarah on the back causing her to fall off the bed and land on her face, she doesn't get hurt though as our room has really soft carpeting.

"Hey, you better be nicer to me, my sister is an army captain" Sarah says after she sits up, then she sticks her tongue out at me.

"And my sister is your sisters boss so meh" I respond very maturely while sticking my own tongue out, Rarity would be proud.

"We could argue whose sister is better all day" I nod in agreement to Sarah's statement "So why don't you save me the trouble and just admit I'm right and my sister is way better." I pout at Sarah while she gives me another grin and chuckles to herself, I try think of a clever come back when-

"Speaking of your sisters, any idea where they are?" Me and Sarah both jump before turning to look at a woman standing in the doorway. Her golden talon reaches up to scratch her head.

"Wow, didn't mean to scare ya squirts"

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

MANSION BASEMENT: TERESA'S POV

Currently I'm sitting on a bench in the basement, the basement is a huge area underneath the mansion almost as wide as the mansion is its self. I'm sitting with Rarity on my left and Vinyl and Octavia on my right, they say their taking a short break from something. After a few moments I lean over to whisper to Rarity.

"I have a question."

"Ask away Teresa dear."

"Why are we watching your employees fight each other?" I look out into the expanse of the basement seeing various members of the staff paired up in one on one matches with various practice weapons or while barehanded. The match the four of us sitting on the bench are the most interested in though is Renee and Jacqueline who are fighting hand to hand, Renee had given her dual swords to Rarity to hold before removing her armor, leaving her in a light blue tank top and white pants and a pair of blue socks which she took off before stepping into the circle drawn on the floor marking the combat area.

"They are training so that they can be ready to fight at a moments notice. They train with the weapons their used to, or try out new options. And its perfectly safe, we always make sure no one gets seriously hurt" Rarity explains while holding Renee's sheathed swords carefully in her hands. I straighten up and focus on the fight once again, I try to observe the combatants closely.

I already knew Jacqueline was a little taller than an average woman, not by a lot but a noticeable amount. Renee on the other hand I am seeing without her armor for the first time and I'm a bit surprised, I already knew she was a little smaller then me but without her armor she looks even smaller. Renee is not tiny or anything but her height is below average and while I can see she has muscle on her, Jacqueline definitely has more, and is significantly taller.

"Sizing up the competition Spark?" Vinyl says while bumping my shoulder.

"Well their fighting hand to hand so it's a bit fascinating considering the size difference" I stop for a second as Jacqueline punches Renee in the face and sends her sprawling onto the ground, Renee is on the floor for less than a second before she springs herself back up onto her feet and delivers a quick but powerful kick to Jacqueline's chest sending her backward but she doesn't fall." Why hasn't Renee flown yet?"

"Renee doesn't use her wings during hand to hand combat training. She thinks her opponent might believe shes giving herself an unfair advantage"

"Her wings? How would that be an unfair advantage? If you're going to fight an Avian shouldn't you be prepared to face them when they fly? I don't think her wings would make the fight unfair, in fact it'd probably make the training better by allowing Jacqueline to study an Avian's moves and attacks in a more natural way."

"That's some clever thinking Spark." Vinyl says with a chuckle "To bad Jack is to Afraid of losing to go along with that!" Vinyl states loudly to ensure Jacqueline can hear her. Jacqueline blocks a kick from Renee by grabbing her foot, and then lifts her through the air and slams her onto the floor. Once again Renee is not on the ground for long as she hops onto her feet and gains some distance. Jacqueline meanwhile glares over at Vinyl.

"Oh Shut it Scratch, using her wings is cheatin' and ya know it! I prefer to fight on equal Fair Terms." Jacqueline huffs while Vinyl smiles feeling shes proved her point, Jacqueline returns to a battle pose and waits for Renee's next move, but as Renee is about to attack again Rarity stands up and raises one hand while the other keeps Renee's swords held to her chest.

"Hold on a minute!" Jacqueline and Renee stop immediately and both face Rarity with confused looks. "Renee darling, come over here for a moment please" Renee quickly leaves the combat circle and walks over before standing in front of Rarity.

"Need something Rare?"

"You haven't cut your hair recently have you?"

"Wha- What does my hair have to do with anything?" Renee asks before quickly blowing some stray strands off her face.

"Didn't think so, turn around and sit down."

"Rare-"

"That is an order Captain" Rarity says in a fake commanding tone. Renee rolls her eyes but sits down as instructed. Rarity messes with her hair for a little bit before telling Renee to stand back up, her hair now pulled back into a ponytail tied with a small purple ribbon.

"There, is that better, perhaps you see just a bit better?"

"Yeah, I guess so, can I get back to training now?"

"Of course darling"

Renee walks back over and stands on the opposite end of the training circle from Jacqueline, Jacqueline lets out a small chuckle while her and Renee enter battle poses.

"Nice hair Renee, Did Rarity make ya all purty?" Jacqueline mocks.

"If you're jealous of my good looks Jack just say so, I won't think less of you for it" Renee counters, causing Jacqueline to frown.

"Ya gonna make jokes or are we gonna finish this?"

"Hmm...." Renee thinks for a moment "Finish it"

The fight continues for a few minutes, Renee uses her superior speed to land many quick hits on Jacqueline, But while Renee's punches and kicks don't seem to have a great effect on Jacqueline, her counter attacks seem to have a great effect on Renee. As the fight goes on it's obvious that Renee has suffered more damage then Jacqueline and it's becoming harder for her to get any decent hit in. The two combatants face each other with determination, I can see the fire in their eyes as they begin what I feel will be the final struggle in their battle.

Renee runs towards Jacqueline preparing her right hand for an attack on Jacqueline's left side, Jacqueline begins moving her arms to block the attack when Renee's right leg bends and kicks off the ground, changing Renee's course at the last second allowing her to hit Jacqueline's now undefended right side with a swift strike to the ribs, following her momentum Renee proceeds by kicking Jacqueline in the stomach. However Jacqueline recovers quickly and swings both hands at the same time. crashing her fists into both sides of Renee's rib-cage causing Renee to stumble backwards allowing Jacqueline to raise her leg up for a powerful kick in the center of Renee's chest knocking the wind out of her as well as send her to the ground with a loud thud. Renee stays on the ground for a few seconds this time and gets up slower then before. She seems to be panting a bit while Jacqueline seems mostly ok. Renee charges once again but her movements are a little slower allowing Jacqueline to block her fist and knee her in the stomach, Jacqueline having not let go of Renee's hand flips Renee around and loops her arms under Renee's preventing her from escaping. Renee begins to struggle under Jacqueline's grip but it seems useless.

"Wow, is this it? I don't think Rey can escape that hold" Vinyl says while leaning on the edge of her seat. I look at the struggle before responding.

"I think so, Renee can't use her Aeromancy because it's a fist fight, Also shes likely more proficient with her swords then unarmed. She can't use her wings which reduces her maneuverability and that's not even getting into the fact Jacqueline is bigger, stronger and has more experience hand to hand." I state my observations on the fight and the other girls on the bench consider them, Octavia looks slightly sad when she speaks.

"It is true that Jacqueline's blows had a greater effect on Renee then Renee's attacks had on Jacqueline. Humans are known to be the physically strongest of our species after all, That usually means a grounded Avian is at a disadvantage when it comes to pure strength" Me and Vinyl nod our heads to Octavia's assessment. "But that doesn't mean it is over though".

"Octavia's right, Just keep watching" Rarity speaks up, I look over at her and she's clutching the sheathed blades very tightly, I can just barely hear her whisper "Come on darling, there's got to be a way out of there". I turn my attention back to the fighters as Renee continues to struggle.

Renee tries to swing her arms but Jacqueline's hold prevents them from doing anything worthwhile, she tries to kick Jacqueline but she can't hit very high up and Jacqueline ignores any pain the kicks may cause to her legs. Renee's wings begin to ruffle and it looks like shes about to use them, which would make sense as their her only hope of escape, but while wincing from the pain of Jacqueline's hold she seems to remember she agreed not to use them and her wings settle back down. Renee grits her teeth and closes her eyes, but eventually she stops and adopts a kind of sad look but with her eyes still closed, It looks like she's about to surrender. Her mouth opens and all four of us on the bench lean as far forward as we can, But suddenly Renee's eyes shoot open and her legs kick off the ground, She doesn't go anywhere since Jacqueline is still holding her but her legs loop around Jacqueline's. Renee's feet hit the back of Jacqueline's knees causing her legs to buckle involuntarily sending Jacqueline to her knees with Renee coming along. While their falling though Renee whips her head back suddenly, hitting the back of her skull into Jacqueline's face. Because of the blow Jacqueline eases her hold just enough for Renee to squirm out of Jacqueline's arms and with a swift kick backwards with her left foot, Renee sends Jacqueline off her knees and onto her back. Taking advantage of the situation Renee crouches then leaps a few feet into the air without assistance from her wings, She curls her left leg up and stretches out her right leg as she quickly descends to the ground landing a forceful blow onto the center of Jacqueline's chest. The blow hits so hard I can feel the force of it from my seat and Wince from it. Renee then bends her right foot and kicks backwards, doing a back-flip through the air and landing by Jacqueline's feet.

"You ok Jack?"

"Man that hurt" Jacqueline tries to mumble under her breath but everyone can hear her anyway, She'd closed her eyes when the blow hit but now opens her right eye to look at Renee "Ya know I sometimes forget why they made ya a Cap'n in the first place? I gotta stop doin' that."

"Need a hand?" Renee asks while stretching out her hand, Jacqueline takes it and Renee helps her up. I Just sit on my seat dumbfounded while Vinyl, Octavia and Rarity begin cheering.

"Alright, I guess that makes it 65 to 40, Ma favor right?" Jacqueline ask once she's standing up, still looking confident.

"Yeah,Yeah, but I'm catching up. I'd be worried if I was you Jack, most of your wins are from when I was still a cadet." Renee says while grinning.

"Don't get to cocky now." Jacqueline says with a chuckle. I simply observe the interaction, not fully understanding what just happened.

"She....She Just Won?" Vinyl slaps me hard on the back while laughing.

"Damn right she did! Way to go Rey!" At Vinyls cheering, Renee Gives an exaggerated bow while Jacqueline claps for her opponent.

"She Won? But Jacqueline had the clear advantage. She only got one really good hit in, How did she- I'm interrupted from my thoughts when a new voice speaks up.

"That was a quite fight Dash, glad I didn't miss to much of it" Everyone turns to face the new voice, I see Sweetie and Sarah standing near the entrance to the basement, their excitement over the battle finally exploding as they rush over to congratulate Renee and hug her. But what really catches my attention is the woman also near the door, the woman who had spoken. Shes a Gryphon.

The Gryphon girl wears a white long sleeve shirt and brown pants, instead of hands with fingers she has golden talons with sharp claws, her feet and toes are instead a lions paws, I can see her lion tail sway lazily behind her and her large white wings rest on her back comfortably. She has short white hair with the front done up slightly and colored purple, the last thing I notice are her eyes, which are a piercing shade of yellow. She looks at me for a moment and whether or not shes trying to be intimidating, I'm intimidated. She looks towards Renee again and smiles a surprisingly gentle smile.

"Hey Dash"

"Gilda" Renee nearly whispers, but a smile does form on her face after a moment and once she finishes hugging Sarah and Sweetie she spreads her wings and flies over to Gilda and gives her a gentle hug.

"Its been way to long" Renee stops hugging Gilda and flaps backward a short distance and lands back on the ground. "What brings you back G?"

"I figured a year was a bit to long to be away. Good to see ya Dash" Gilda puts her talon into a fist and faces it to Renee, who forms her own fist and connects with Gilda's.

"Welcome back Gilda, I hope your trip wasn't to difficult dear" Rarity says with a smile as her, Jacqueline,Vinyl,Octavia, Sweetie,Sarah and me walk over to Renee and Gilda.

"Wasn't to bad, How ya been Princess?" Rarity laughs lightly at the nickname.

"I'm a Duchess, Not a Princess, You know that dear" Gilda just rolls her eyes and smiles.

"It's a nickname Princess, just roll with it K?" After she speaks Sarah and Sweetie and each give her a quick hug.

"Hey squirts, Thanks for you're help. Wheres the third musketeer by the way?"

"April is with her brother doing some chores or something" Sarah explains, but before any conversation can continue, the doors to the basement burst open and Patty rushes into the room, dashing over to Vinyl and Octavia and hoisting them both into the air with seemingly little effort.

"BREAKS OVER!! I'M TAKING THESE!!" Patty Quickly and excitedly yells before rushing back towards the exit with the bewildered musicians in her hands. However she stops suddenly and stands parallel to Gilda. Patty is smiling but Gilda looks rather disinterested.

"Gilda"

"Patty"

"I'm throwing a double party, would you like me to add a 'welcome Gilda' Party to the event?"

"I'd rather you didn't"

"Will you be attending the party?"

"Doubtful"

"As you wish, come along girls we need to see what records Vinyl brought" Patty then rushes out of the room.

"Umm... Is there something between those two?" I ask carefully, looking to Renee and Rarity for answers.

"Lets just say Patty and G did not get off on the right foot the first time they met" Renee says while chuckling nervously.

"I'm not exactly the most friendly person you'll ever meet" Gilda flatly states while looking directly at what feels like my soul. "And I was really bad a few years ago when Dash first brought me to visit the mansion, and because of Patty everyone including Renee and Sarah realized what a jerk I was."

"We lost touch for a long time before I finally built up the courage and came back to apologize. Ever since then I've come over to hang when I'm not in the Gryphon Kingdom with my family."

"You were gone a whole year this time G, Something happen?"

"Just been searching around for a new job, not all of us decided to join the reserves and move into a mansion Dash" Gilda jokes, Renee chuckles lightly before inquiring further.

"I thought you got a job, at like a delivery service or something"

"Yeah I did, but I'm just not sure it's for me ya know Dash? I mean they wouldn't even let me bring these babies on deliveries" Gilda gestures to her belt which I now see holds two sheathed swords attached to it very similar to Renee's. "I've still got the job, but have been looking for something else. So we'll see."

"If you insist on bringing your swords everywhere why not join back up with the army? I bet our old battalion misses their Lieutenant"

"Wouldn't be the same without our Captain, besides my time with the army ended a long time ago" Gilda shrugs then sighs "Come on Dash, don't you go worrying about me. I can take care of myself."

"Then write more knucklehead" Renee pats Gilda on the back and they share a laugh.

"Um, Gilda if I may ask a question?" Gilda turns to me and raises an eyebrow.

"Got a problem?"

"Well no it's just... uh.."

"maybe it's your eyes G" Renee suggests.

"Ooh, you've never met a Gryphon before is that it?" Gilda asks me, while folding her arms.

"Well no, I've never met a Gryphon in person" Gilda nods her head and shrugs.

"Gryphons have the eyes of a hawk, they can be kinda unsettling for people the first time they see them." Gilda whispers under hear breathe "Or if you're lame" She then coughs and continues "You'll get used to them eventually."

"Thank you Gilda, but what I wanted to ask is, you were in the army?"

"Yeah, I was"

"The Equestrian Army?" Gilda narrows her eyes at me and for a second I feel like shrinking backward.

"What? A Gryphon not good enough for your army?" Gilda asks with completely unconcealed anger and the other girls in the room don't look to happy either. I quickly begin flailing my hands around.

"No,no,no,no! I didn't mean it like that! I was just asking, I'm just curious!" After a bit longer of insisting, everyone seems to relax, Gilda folds her arms again.

"Yeah, I was in the Equestrian Army, I was actually born here in Equestria. Few years ago my family left Equestria to return to the Gryphon Kingdom where my Mom was born, I'm a citizen of the Gryphon Kingdom now so I can't be in the Equestrian Army anymore. I just come here from time to time to visit Dash and the Others." Rarity walks up and gives Gilda a small hug.

"And it's nice of you to visit, Why don't me and Renee show you around?" Rarity then turns to me "Teresa, you and Gilda can get more acquainted later. Why don't you go and see if you can help Patty with that party shes apparently planning without running it by me at all." Rarity instructs seeming only mildly annoyed at Patty's actions.

"Of course Rarity, Gilda I'll speak to you later."

"I'm gonna have one more fight then maybe get a little work done, I'll see ya'll at the party later". Jacqueline says before walking towards all the servants who are still sparring.

Rarity and Renee leave with Gilda while Sarah and Sweetie run off to find April. I meanwhile head off to try and find Patty to help her.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

LATER, ON THE ROOF (TIME:9:05PM)

"So what kind of music will you be playing at the party Vinyl?" I decide to ask Vinyl some questions while I'm helping her set up her equipment as Patty requested. There are several tables and even a makeshift bar now laid out in locations on the roof of the mansion, Me and Vinyl are standing on a stage that Patty created, though I hesitate to call it that as it's mostly just wood stacked on top of other wood.

"All kinds, I've got my dub-step, some rock n roll, country songs the apple family suggested and lots of other stuff" Vinyl explains while facing away from me and making adjustments to her turntables. "What I've always liked about Patty's parties is I can play any music I want. I'm usually kinda restricted when I'm playing in a club, But I have way to much fun to really mind." Vinyl makes a final adjustment before kneeling down and opening a compartment on her turntables, she then starts messing with wires.

"Have you ever considered opening your own club?" I ask Vinyl while using my magic to levitate a large speaker into position. Vinyl closes the compartment, stands up and stretches, She then chuckles a little and faces me.

"Course I have Spark, But that is one expensive idea. I've been trying to save up to open my own place for years." I look at her skeptically while making sure the sound system is all in order.

"Years? Your the most famous DJ in all of Equestria and your dating one of the most famous classical musicians in a century. Do you really have money issues?" Vinyl just nods her head and grins at me.

"You clearly don't know how bad I am with money."

"How bad are we talking?" Before Vinyl can answer that however, another voice speaks up.

"Do you believe Vinyl to be an at least averagely intelligent person?" Me and Vinyl turn to see Octavia carrying two large boxes towards the 'stage' with Patty carrying a box and bouncing joyfully behind Octavia. I look at Vinyl briefly before facing Octavia.

"Yeah, I do."

"Then do not ask how she handles her money." Octavia bluntly states while placing her box on the ground. Patty giggles and places her box next to Octavia's boxes.

"You ok Tavi? Those Boxes Look like their pretty heavy." I ask Octavia when shes done putting her boxes down. Octavia dismisses my concern quickly.

"No need to worry Teresa, I have carried my cello with me almost everywhere since I was young. I can handle these."

"Whats in them anyway?" after asking that question Patty suddenly appeared in front of my face. I jump backward in shock as she begins talking while making random hand gestures.

"Only the most important thing to have at a super double roof party! a specially created fence and net combination of my own creation, it will prevent any and all drunk party goers, Avian or otherwise from leaving the roof any other way then the door back into the mansion since humans and elves can't get over the fence and Avians can't fly over because of the net. That way they'll head back inside instead of off the roof and onto the ground. Pretty good idea huh?" Patty says with a large smile, looking rather proud. Octavia gives her a gentle pat on the back.

"Well done Patty, that should keep everyone safe." Octavia says with a smile before something seems to click in her brain and she gives Patty a deadpanned stare. "That fence and net are not just to keep people safe in the party area is it? It is also your excuse to make the party as crazy as you can is it not?" Patty just scratches her head and giggles..

"Ya figured me out, you know me so well Tavi." Patty admits with a laugh, Octavia just sighs.

"As parties are one area you have more expertise then me in, I shall leave such decisions up to you. Now, shall we begin constructing this fence?" Octavia asks, causing Patty to begin explaining how the fence is going to be set up and where As well as how to set up the supports to keep the safety net in place. Vinyl looks over to me as I move the last speaker into place.

"Looks Good Spark" Vinyl grabs and lifts an object with a red magic aura "Catch" She says while flinging the object over to me. I attempt to catch the object in my hands but I fumble it and it falls, luckily I catch the object in my purple magic aura before it crashes to the ground. As I lift it back up to my face I can tell it's a beer bottle. I can feel some of Vinyl's residual magic energy on the bottle, giving it a kind of static like feeling. I look at Vinyl with a quizzical expression.

"What exactly is this for?"

"Uh...It's beer Spark, ya drink it." Vinyl says with a chuckle while taking a seat on the edge of the 'stage'. "I figured since we're done setting up we could sit down, have some beers and shoot the shit till it's time to party.... You drink right?"

"I've tried it before, it's not really my thing." Following Vinyls sigh I decide to change my answer slightly. "But um...I wouldn't mind talking with you and I guess having a drink wouldn't be so bad." I answer while having a seat next to Vinyl.

"Thanks, I like having a drinking buddy and since Tavi and Patty are setting stuff up and Renee is showing Gilda around I figured you could be fun." Vinyl seems startled for a second before looking at me and scratching her head nervously. "Wow didn't mean for that to sound like you were a last resort or something, I did wanna have a drink with you so I hope you're not offended or something."

"No it's fine." I open my bottle with my magic and take a sip. It's Not bad, but It's not great either. "I'll admit Vinyl, I never knew Rarity had a cousin. And I'd heard quiet a bit about the duke, duchess and their family."

"Not surprising, I come from her mom's side of the family, a.k.a, the side that married into the whole nobility thing. So, since my side of the family aren't nobles, people weren't exactly that interested." Vinyl explains with a shrug, But then gives me a big grin. "But could you imagine what all those snooty nobles would say if they found out 'The elegant and graceful Duchess Rarity' " Vinyl says Rarity's name and title with an exaggerated fancy accent "Is related to a beer drinking, party rocking DJ?" Vinyl laughs while I can only assume imagining what the nobility would think of such a revelation. I crack a smile of my own as I decide to add to her question.

"and what if they also found out their favorite classical musician was dating that same DJ?" Vinyl's imagination provides her with another few laughs about that reaction. She takes another drink of her beer before looking at me.

"I've contemplated revealing that information before. But I figure, As funny as seeing everyone's faces would probably be, I feel like it would cause a lot of problems for Rare and Tavi. You probably know how old school those nobles can be about relationships like ours." I take another small sip from my bottle before hanging my head slightly.

"The nobility's views on stuff like that is a bit... Outdated? Is that the right way to phrase it?"

"Let's go with that Spark, point is that'd be nothing but trouble for those two. So come on, Let's change the subject." I give Vinyl a smile. I then take another sip and giggle a little, Vinyl looks at me.

"What is it?"

"I was just wondering, Are their any other relatives that are going to pop in that I should be worried about trying to destroy my ear drums?" I say before laughing out loud. It's possible I don't hold my alcohol that well.

"Very funny Spark" Vinyl says light heartily. "But actually no, I'm an only child, Rare and Sweetie have been the closest things to siblings I've ever had." Vinyl shrugs and takes another drink. "My folks don't leave Manehattan that often and I haven't seen any of Rare's Relatives from the nobility since her folks died." Vinyl finishes her beer and grabs another one from somewhere behind her DJ equipment.

"How about you Spark? Any family?" At Vinyl's question I smile fondly while staring off into space.

"Yeah, my mom and dad, And my Brothers. My big brother Shaun is in the military, he's the highest ranking General in all of Equestria. They call him General Shining Armor because of his mastery of shield spells. But my little brother Spencer is kind of like my assistant, he's always helping me with errands and assignments back in Canterlot. He couldn't come with me to the mansion because school was starting back up soon and my mom wouldn't let him. I write to my brothers sometimes when I'm reading in the library." After rambling for a bit I take a big sip of from my bottle and find it's almost empty. I look to Vinyl to ask for another bottle when I notice both her eyebrows raised above her glasses, which is my only indication she's surprised as I can't see her eyes.

"Is something the matter Vinyl?"

"Your Older Brother is Shining Armor? I've heard things about that guy, that's pretty cool Spark. You're the Queen's Assistant and your brother leads an army, props to your family." Vinyl's eyebrows had lowered but after she speaks one rises again quizzically.

"Actually that reminds me of a question I've been wondering since I got here. I just wasn't sure if I wanted to ask." I take the last drink of my bottle before responding.

"Ask away Vinyl, I won't mind I'm sure."

"Alright then, Well it's just-" Vinyl coughs a little. "-Well uh, If you're the Queen's student and her assistant, why are you working for Rare here at the mansion instead of doing stuff in Canterlot? Did you get fired or something?" I'm about to laugh off her question when sudden realization causes my eyes to open as wide as possible. I have no idea why I was ordered to stay.

"I don't know why, But I wasn't fired, this is just a temporary assignment, I wasn't fired, Though the Queen could have made someone else Rarity's new Librarian instead of me, But I wasn't fired, The Queen always has a plan, I wasn't fired, I wasn't fired, I wasn't fired-" I continue chanting 'I wasn't fired' as I curl up into a ball and start to hyperventilate. Vinyl looks around Frantically, unsure what to do about my situation.
After a bit she shrugs and her hand shoots up and she slaps me hard in the face. I fall backwards and blink a few times before sitting back up.

"Thanks Vinyl, I think I needed that."

"No problem Spark, But uh, Instead of freaking out like that why not just ask the Queen whats up?" Vinyl speaks slowly and calmly, probably watching for any reaction from me that might mean she has to slap me again.

"You're right, you're right, you are very much right." I take several deep breathes to calm myself down before continuing. "I will send the Queen a letter asking for specifics. May I have another bottle by the way?"

"That may not be a good idea. Thinking about it, I got this stuff from the bar in Ponyville, and that chick can brew some strong stuff. Best for you to be in your right mind if you're sending letters to the Queen." I ponder what Vinyl says for a minute before giving her a small smile.

"You're right Vinyl, thank you, That was thoughtful of you. Very responsible." I chuckle a little and my eyes close for a second, when they open and I look at Vinyl again, I see that her eyebrows are once again raised above her glasses. She points to herself before speaking.

"You think, that I'M responsible?" Vinyl asks in disbelief, I give her an affirmative nod and another smile. Only for her eyebrows to dip sharply, giving her the look of someone very determined.

"OH Hell to the no!" Vinyl shouts before standing up and walking behind her deck. "Patty! When's the party starting? I need to do something ridiculous and/or stupid to keep my reputation in tact!" I look over and see Patty and Octavia finish putting the fence and net up in the proper location. Patty thinks for a moment before holding up a couple of fingers, then she speaks to Octavia for a moment before rushing back into the Mansion.

"Patty said she is going to get people now, so the party will start in a couple minutes when she gets the first group up here." Octavia explains once she walks over to me and Vinyl. She then looks at the two of us and asks. "So what is going on over here then?" Vinyl gestures to me.

"She called me responsible!" Vinyl shouts before gritting her teeth and getting ready to start the music once people arrive on the roof. Octavia chuckles softly and looks at me with an Amused expression.

"You are correct actually, Vinyl can be very thoughtful and responsible." Octavia looks at Vinyl and giggles a little as Vinyl looks at her and pouts. She faces me again. "Not that she likes people to know that, I ask you keep that little detail to yourself if possible Teresa."

"You have my word Tavi. Now is there anything else we need to do?"

"Not at all Teresa, I shall keep Vinyl company and you can enjoy the party." Me and Octavia shake hands and I'm about to say'Have fun' when suddenly Vinyl speaks up with a huge grin on her face.

"That means Spark is our first party-goer tonight! LET IT BEGIN!!" Vinyl shouts as she begins the first song. I quickly look at Octavia who looks slightly apologetic before a wave of sound blasts across the roof nearly pushing me over, though Octavia doesn't seem affected by it. The sound dies down a little as it seems Vinyl had set the volume knob just a little to high for her first song. Not long after though, Patty arrives with the first group of party-goers and the event begins to kick into full swing. Octavia takes a seat near Vinyl while I decide to look for anyone in the first group who I actually know somewhat.

With the party commencing We begin one of the longest nights of my life.


___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ MEANWHILE RARITY'S STUDY: RENEE'S POV
"You sure you don't wanna come to the party with us G?"

"Surely it's been long enough Dear. You and Patty can put the past behind you yes?"

Me and Rare have been trying to convince G to come to Patty's party since we left the basement. G has been here before so there really wasn't anything new to show her so We're in Rare's study right now, And just a minute ago Patty came by and told us the party had started. Me and Rare wanna go, but-

"You can go to the party without me, It's fine really. We can hang out tomorrow or something." G tries to wave us off but me and Rare don't give up easy.

"But if you and Patty were to just talk about it-" Rare starts but G holds one of her talons to Rare's lips and makes her stop, I almost reach for my swords out of instinct but I relax myself in time.

"Relax Princess. You can't rush me on this, I'll talk to Patty when I feel like it." With that G walks away from Rarity and opens the door of the study. We all file out into the hall before G closes the door and keeps talking.

"You two head off to the party already. Trust me, I'll find something to do. Might even try and turn in early if I wear earmuffs to block out Vi's music or something." Me and Rare could literally stay here and argue with her all night, G is probably the stubbornest person I know, So me and Rare forfeit the conversation for now and head off for the party, Wishing G a good night before leaving.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ MEANWHILE APPLE ORCHARD: JACQUELINE'S POV
"Come on Sis! It's gettin' dark!" Big Mac says while walkin' over towards the mansion. Caught me little off guard it did, seein' as how that was the first time he'd spoken since I came out here, I'd almost plum forgot he was here.

"I'm comin' bro! I was just givin' this place one more look over fore Patty's party!" I tell 'im while heading over to 'im quick. But on ma way over I swear I hear somethin', somethin' that sounds like leaves moving around. So I stop dead in ma tracks and whip around crouching a little bit.

Big Mac don't say nothin', he just scratches his head while I look all over the trees lookin' for anythin' strange. I keep real quiet in case any other noises happen. After awhile it looks like the sound I heard was just the wind blowin' through the trees. I stand straight and walk over to Big Mac who opens the door for me. "Sorry bout that. It was nothin'." Big Mac just nods as the door closes behind us as we enter the Mansion.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

As the door closes, leaves in a tree far from the Mansion begin to rustle, the leaves settle moments later and a sound can be heard.
A low, but audible "hiss".
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

MANSION ENTRANCE (TIME 9:47 AM) Renee's POV

"C'mon, I'm in the zone! Let's keep it going a little lon-" Vy's excitement is silenced by everyone else yawning. She chuckles a little as Rare rubs her eyes and speaks.

"Vincenza I hate to have to inform you once again, But the party is over. Everyone is very much tired So I think best if we all head to bed." I slowy nod my head while letting out another big yawn.

"Sides Vy, your carriage is probably gonna arrive any minute now, you wanna make Tavi wait until you're partied out?" Once I ask she looks over at Tavi, who looks so tired she'll probably maim someone if she doesn't get to sleep soon.

"I am simply not built for such long nights, But I knew I had no way to stop Patty and Vinyl once they got started. Let's just go home Vinyl, Please?" Tavi mumbles in such a grouchy tone the 'Please' sounded more like 'RIGHT NOW'. Vi gulps and says quick goodbyes before we all give each other one final hug as their carriage arrives.

"Don't forget to write Vincenza!"

"I won't Rare! See you next time!" Vy and Rare exchange as she enters in the carriage. As the door closes I can see Tavi immediately fell asleep once she got inside and chuckle a little despite my grogginess.

Vy and Tavi's carriage begins leaveing as I feel a weight on my shoulder, I look down and see Rare leaning against me. She probably stumbled cause of how tired she is, She can barely keep her eyes open. I put my arms around Rare and gently lead her inside hoping we'll all get some good sleep, And praying tommorow isn't to exciting.

Author's Note:

I couldn't bring myself to write the party, as it would likely have made the chapter way to long and I don't feel it deserved it's own chapter. So yeah, I'll leave that up to your Imaginations I guess. I just hope this chapter is ok.

Comments ( 0 )
Login or register to comment