• Published 7th Sep 2015
  • 485 Views, 0 Comments

Luna In Charge - AppleJared



Celestia leaves Equestria for a while and puts Luna in charge of the nation.

  • ...
 0
 485

Lu(n)a Error

Apples were a difficult subject. To most, it was just a question of how many and of what kind? Many could browse the market and just choose and color they liked and get a bag. Some just didn't buy apples.

To an intellect, however, apples were a subject of scrutiny. Some apples tasted great, while other apples only tasted acceptable. Some tasted great in pies, cakes, or other edibles. Some tasted best by themselves. Some were more sour than sweet. Some apples were perfectly round and small, while others were large and shaped like an up-side-down pear. However, all of them had a blue magic field around them when Luna moved them with telekinesis. Luna had found by way of trial and error that the perfectly round and small apples were best for stacking, and coincidentally cooking as well.

Because of this important scientific discovery, Luna found it only to be logical to outlaw up-side-down pear-shaped apples and require a size limit on every species of apple that would be legally sold in Equestria. Again, to the layman, this was a difficult process. There were political officials to contact and thesis statements to be written. The Academy of Healths and Sciences must take their greatest professors and conduct tests and give results to the Royal Hierarchy.

The great part of being Princess Luna was simply put, she was the Royal Hierarchy.

A call was made to the royal advisers to meet Princess Luna in the throne room. The younger advisers had dreamed of serving under the long lost princess. It was a task that had been missing since the lunar banishment. However, a heavy sigh escaped the lungs of the royal advisers when they were informed of the Night-Ruler's new law. One spoke up with "Some farmers will... disagree with this position, Princess Luna. Some might even protest."

The younger royal sister put a hoof to her chin. "No matter," she said. "this has often become the lesser minds' response to unbridled genius."

Enter Celestia.

What surprised Luna more than the lack of praise from the royal advisers was the response her own sister gave her. After hearing the idea, Celestia gave a motherly sigh and continued back towards her room. "Luna, please come with me." As the sisters left the throne room and the presence of others, they entered Celestia's chambers. Celestia went to continue packing her belongings for the trip.

On a regular day, Celestia might have found an elaborate plan for Luna to discover on her own why she can't ban certain apples. However, this was no regular day and she hadn't the time. This day was the day before Celestia went to the peace talks. Her head somewhere in a suitcase Celestia mumbled, “Luna, you know I can’t allow you to do this. You know that… right?”

The Sun goddess brought her head out of the luggage and stopped packing for a moment to look at her sister, hoping to drive her point home without the inevitable argument.

“Tia, we cannot allow you to hinder our social progress with the furtherment of the elite apple race. It is clear that the fruit with the round surface and small size are not only better tasting, more useful, but also better for stacking!!” Luna whined, throwing her forelegs in the air.

Celestia gave a swift hoof to her own face and kept it there for good measure. “Little sister, apple eugenics is not something we can get involved in. Our ponies now experience freedom of choice, which means we must allow them to eat whatever apples they want. Even if they want the… ‘inferior’ apples.”

“Come sister. Let me explain further.” Luna took the hoof of Celestia and led her to Luna’s room. Celestia didn't have the guts to tell her sister how insane the idea was in the first place, so she entertained her little Luna. Luna open the door to her chambers and inside the dark blue room were two stacks of apples. One stack was short, and consisted of the pear-apples. The other stack was far taller and consisted of the perfectly round apples. Luna pointed to the stacks and proclaimed, “Clearly you can see now. This short stack of apples is unacceptable. I will not allow my citizens to procure themselves with these hellion apples.”

“Luna,” Celestia pleaded. “You don’t understand. Although even I prefer the smaller, more round apples, we must allow our ponies to eat whatever they want. As long as they do not harm another by their choice, we must allow it; even if somehow it was best for them to only eat the small apples."

Luna cast a glance to the side. She knew the smaller apples were best and wondered why anypony would rather have a bulky, unstackable apple. "Tia, we art aware that this concept of 'freedom' is still quite fresh to our senses. However, why must we sit idly by whilst our subjects make the wrong decisions, when we knew the correct answer the time entire?"

Celestia smiled. At least her sister had good intentions.

"Celestia, we art still an anomaly in this world, are we not?" Luna asked with a serious tone. "It seems like only an fortnight ago, the royal alicorns were warriors. We spoke of the Warrior-Heaven and relished in the blood of our enemies. 'To live is to die,' we would exclaim to our troops."

Celestia stopped packing and sat next to Luna. "It's true, we were warriors. But Luna, we have progressed past those times. Senseless violence, especially against our own kind, is in the past. We don't have the 'to live is to die' mentality anymore. Ponies seek honor in life, instead of death. I know it's still difficult for you to grasp some of these concepts, but you'll understand how life is much better now than when we were always fighting."

Luna looked to her sister. "Tis true; our... process... understanding of current times have been onerous, laborious even. But we aspire, elder sister."

She pulled her little sister into a hug. "Luna, I know you just want to help our citizens. You have to understand that if we tell them all the answers to the questions they have and force the right decisions on them, they will never learn for themselves. You have to let them learn from personal experience." Seeing Luna a tad dejected, Celestia lifted her head up. "That doesn't mean you can't rule by example, and I'm sure this experience will help you understand our new society."

The younger princess looked at the floor for a few seconds, then Luna let a smile take over her face and gave a faux stomp on the ground. With determination she replied, "Thou art correct, dear sister. We shalt live and rule by example alone. They shall see the truth through their dark princess's life! Thank you, Tia. We thinks you have some more packing to do before thine departure. We shall leave you to such."

Celestia gave Luna a wink and left to go packing again.


"Okay Luna, what are the three rules?"

"No war shalt be created. Refrain of punishment in the capital degree..."

Celestia wearing her royal regalia and a scarf, had her five suitcases in tow while in the throne room alone with her sister. She trusted her younger sister to do well while she was gone, but a little quizzing might be able to put the Sun goddess's mind to ease a little more. She knew deep down that she would worry about the kingdom anyways, much like a mother would always worry about her child. However, it worried her even more that her sister had already forgotten the last rule.

Expectantly, Celestia replied "Aaannnnnnnnndddddddddd??"

"And..." Luna dejectedly answered. "And none of the outlawing all things we do not find amusing or acceptable. Ergo, no outlawing asymmetrical apple-fruits."

Satisfaction gleamed off of the white princess. "Right. Luna, I trust you to do right. I know you can do this. I won't be gone too long and I have complete trust in you."

That was a small lie. A white lie. A tiny lie. It wasn't like she didn't really trust her own flesh and blood. She just knew Luna might not be ready for the kingdom yet. She still believed in capital punishment, random outlawing, total monarchy, and she still used that forsaken Olde Canterlot dialect. Still, there was no choice now.

Maybe she wouldn't be that bad after all...

Celestia made her way down out of the throne room and opened the door. She turned around and said, "But if something were to happen, send a scroll through Fire Mail."

Luna was counting the seconds before her sister would shut up and leave. "Of course, Tia. We shalt be fine!"

They waved goodbye and Luna sat in her throne seat. After a few minutes of waiting patiently, she got up and plopped herself onto her sister's bigger throne. She spread her legs out and relaxed by sitting sideways by using the arm-rest and a head-rest. This is going to be great.

She pulled a hoof-file out of her majestic hair and began to file her hooves to perfection. While doing such, a castle guard entered the throne room and bowed.

"Your Majesty," he spoke. "Can I do anything for you?"

"Aye, guardsman" she responded. "Bring forth a cake; variety of which our dear sister has formed an infatuation."

The guard did not allow the smirk to appear on his face. "Of course, Your Majesty. Anything else?"

"There is, guard. What type of apple doth possess thine preference?" she asked with an evil smile.

Slightly taken back by the random question, the guard eased his shoulders to think. A few seconds went by, then he looked at his ruler again. "Honeycrisp, Ma'am."

She waved a hoof to dismiss him. "That is all, guard."

After he closed the door to the throne room behind him, he immediately took a pause to consider what had just happened. After a few moments, he went to the kitchen to place the order.

Comments ( 0 )
Login or register to comment