• Published 18th Jun 2014
  • 776 Views, 15 Comments

A Fire for Tomorrow - maxxxxxx



The sun has extinguished and death and darkness are left in it's wake.

  • ...
2
 15
 776

Deicide: Part 1

Twilight felt weak, her body was quickly going numb as she collapsed to the ground. Everything felt cold, every muscle in her body was shivering, but this chill was beyond the help of warmth, the cold seeped out from her bones and froze her blood. Rarity knelt in front of her, bringing her head level with Twilight's. Rainbow Dash lay beside her, pressing against her and pulling her close with her wing. Despite their reassuring gestures, her eyes were fix on the dry dirt floor. She had lost control of her thoughts as images of fire and lightening flashed by with dizzying speed. Every time she closed her eyes, even to blink, she felt like she was pulled straight into hell. The moment her eyes closed, she was taken back to the med tent, the roar of fire and the smell of burnt hair and flesh filled her mind, but none of that compared to the feeling she felt as she watched the colt die, as she watched the life being sucked out of him.

“Twilight...” Rainbow Dash said softly, rubbing Twilight's back with her wing.

“I- I'm sorry, I'm sorry. I just, I just-”

“It's alright Twilight, we're here for you.” Twilight looked up to the source of the familiar voice. Applejack stood beside Rarity, smiling at her. She didn't know why, she knew none of this was her fault, but, she felt it, an almost unbearable guilt, a guilt so strong she had to avert her eyes, she couldn't face Applejack's eyes, knowing what she's lost, what she might have lost. How... how can she be smiling...

“Applejack is right,” Rarity began, swallowing back her grief and fear. “Whatever is responsible for this, if we give up in despair, well, we've already lost.”

“We're gonna need you Twilight, Apple Bloom and Sweetie Bell, all of Ponyville is gonna need you. Ah know it's a lot to ask, but... you need to be strong Twilight.”

The numbness that had overtaken her body was broken by the sharp sting from Applejack's words, and it only made the guilt worse. She's right... I'm responsible for this, for all of this. I'm a princess, it's my duty to protect everyone, and on my watch... I let this happen.

“Back off Applejack!” Rainbow snapped, drawing all eyes to her as she stepped between her friend and her marefriend. “Can't you see she's shaken up!? She's in no shape to be taking the burden for this, so back off!”

“What did you say!?” Applejack growled, stomping forward. “How dare you! How dare you talk to me like that! I've lost my home, Sweet Apple Acres is nothing but ashes! M- my sister... she could be hurt, she's scared and alone... and Granny Smith...” Tears glistened in her mournful eyes, the flickering sickly fluorescent lights painted her pale and ghostly. Suddenly, rage flooded back into her eyes.

“And you're going to tell me to back off!? What have you lost!? What gives you the right to talk to me like that when you still have everyone you love!” Her hoof trembled as she lifted it off the ground glaring at Rainbow Dash.

“Applejack, that's enough!” Rarity's horn lit up, engulfing Applejack in her aura and yanking her back. Rainbow's head hung low and her gaze fell to the floor.

“Please... all of you stop this.” Twilight stood, shakily and weakly.

“Twilight is right, if there were ever a time to not be fighting, it would be now.” Rarity affirmed. She turned to Applejack. “I know how you feel, but more innocent ponies will be hurt if we don't stop this.”

Without a word, Applejack huffed, sitting down on the ground, refusing to look at Rainbow Dash who took her place beside Twilight. A long moment of tense silence stretched between them, nopony knowing what to say, knowing what should be said.

“I don't know of any kind of spell that could cause anything like this. If this is magic, it's not anything I've seen before.” Twilight began, tentatively trying to bring the tension down.

“Do you think Princess Celestia would know anything about what's going on?” Rarity posed.

“Maybe, or Discord, but either way, it's pitch black out, it's a miracle we made it back here and the lightning and the r-” Twilight stopped abruptly, holding her tongue. “and.. and the smoke, short circuited my magic, I'm not back to full strength so teleporting there is out of the question.” Twilight glanced to her side at Rainbow who at the same time glanced at her. I can't tell them about the radiation, it would just cause panic right now. Her guilt only grew worse, knowing she was lying to her friends, but the truth would only make things worse now.

“It's the only way to find out what's going on!” Applejack blurted.

“I know, but-” Twilight was brought to an abrupt stop as her body began to shake, but it wasn't her trembling muscles, the earth beneath her was shaking up through her hooves and a low pitch rumble slowly overtook the sound of the crackling fire as the quaking grew more intense. Twilight's head bolted up looking to her friends. Rainbow head was darting back and forth while Rarity and Applejack stared at the ground.

“A- an earthquake...” Twilight said hushed. Then just as suddenly as it came, the shaking subsided, tapering off to a soft quiver before fading away.

“What the hell is going on!” Rainbow Dash yelled. Twilight looked around, the dull faces in the tent fear stricken, not one moved, all frozen in place as they seemed to collectively hold their breath and a terrible sense of foreboding overcame Twilight. Just as she whipped around to face the entrance the air went dead still, sending a chill down her spine as everything went silent and time seemed to slow.

Booooom!

A deafening roar tore through the air, followed by a massive gust of wind. The tent was stretched back as it's thin metal frame began to buckle from the shock wave. Everypony fell to the ground, covering their heads as debris and ash rushed into the tent. Twilight fell to her belly, squinting as the ash blew against her face, looking in the direction of the concussive blast. Dust stung her eyes but through the torrent of ash she could see a blinding light shining through the dust storm. Just as soon as it began, the explosion past. Twilight's ears were ringing painfully, the blast was almost as loud as the thunder when all of this started. Her head ached and she struggled to get up, the sudden, massive change in pressure threw off her balance.

“Twilight! Twi are you okay!? What was that!?” Rainbow ran to her, but Twilight could only barely make out her marefriend's words over her stinging ears.

“I- I don't know. I don't know anything...”

“Is everypony alright!?” Applejack yelled to the frightened evacuees. Soft grumbles and weak nods followed. Everypony was shaken, but no one was hurt. Twilight turned back to the entrance, a bright white light shined from the direction of the blast. Gathering her strength, she trotted outside with Rainbow right behind her.

Dash looked at their town, the explosion had done nothing but fan the flames, spreading smoldering embers and feeding the fires, destabilizing the charred structures. Dash's heart sunk at she saw firefighters running away from a collapsing building. For solace, she turned to her Twilight, but the her marefriend's eyes were firmly fixed on the horizon in font of her. As Rainbow followed her eyes, she fell into the same awestruck stare as she looked upon the source of the light. It was Canterlot, surrounded by a bright white light, with streaks of blue lightning arcing around it.

“What in the name of Celestia is that!?” Applejack exclaimed, her jaw dropped in astonishment.

“Whatever it is, it has something to do with all of this.” Twilight said calmly, as though she were pondering a difficult question. Abruptly, she snapped out of it and turned to Dash with determined eyes. “Rainbow we need to go!”

“Wait, we can't just leave Ponyville like this!”

“Go Rainbow, we'll take care of things here.” Applejack said, a hint of bitterness still lingering in her voice.

“But Applejack...” Rainbow began in protest.

“No, you both need to stop whoever is responsible for all of this.” Rarity chimed in. “We have to stay here, our families need us, Ponyville needs us here. We need you to put an end to this.” Rainbow looked back and forth between Twilight who's wings were unfurled and ready to fly and her friends.

I- I don't want to leave them. We don't know what's going on, we don't know what could happen next. Fluttershy and Pinkie Pie are both... they haven't woken up yet. I want to be here for them... but Twilight needs me too. Rainbow gritted her teeth. Damn it! I can't do anything. I couldn't help Pinkie, Fluttershy's in bad shape, I hurt Applejack and now, I have to leave them alone while their homes burn and our friends fight for their lives? No, I'm the fastest flier in Ponyville, I should be helping look for Apple Bloom and Sweetie Belle, but... Twilight!

“You should go, we'll be alright here.” Applejack stepped forward, her voice soft and gentle, the spite far removed from her voice. “She's gonna need you, you know how she has a habit of getting into trouble.”

“Applejack...” Dash said, dumbfounded.

“Get going, we'll be alright.” She smiled. She smiled, despite everything, a smile that reassured Rainbow Dash. She didn't know why, but she felt that AJ was right, they would be alright. Twilight needs me more right now.

“Alright, but stay safe. Good luck.” Without another word, Rainbow turned to Twilight. “Come on, the faster we get there the faster we get back to help. Are you able to fly?”

“Yes, I should be alright, don't worry, I'll keep up.”

“Okay, let's go.” She turned back once more to Rarity and Applejack. “Keep Scootaloo safe.” With that, her wings flung out and with a mighty flap, she took to the air with Twilight in toe to Canterlot. The hot updrafts singed her feathers as they soared over Ponyville. The sight of the smoldering town fell behind them and the echo of dwindling screams faded as they flew.