• Published 18th Jun 2014
  • 773 Views, 15 Comments

A Fire for Tomorrow - maxxxxxx



The sun has extinguished and death and darkness are left in it's wake.

  • ...
2
 15
 773

The Burning: Part Four

“I just don't know what could have done all of this...” Twilight tread slowly past the med tent, resting her weight on Rainbow Dash as they walked. The flames from Ponyville illuminated an intense look of grief and pain in her eyes that was well beyond the reach of tears.

“We'll figure it out. For right now we just have to make sure our friends are okay. Once we put our heads together, we'll figure it out.” Rainbow couldn't tell who she was trying to comfort more. The ring of the heart monitor, blaring throughout the med tent as the colt's life was snuffed out was still fresh in her mind, endlessly screaming at her. It could have been Scootaloo, it could still be Fluttershy... No, she'll be fine, Fluttershy is strong, she wont let... she won't let a little lightening keep her down. But, why? Why did it have to be her!? What did she do wrong!? She's the kindest pony anypony could know, she didn't deserve this!

“She didn't deserve it...” Rainbow whispered, the growl under her breath lost in the white noise of cracking wood. She could still smell it, Fluttershy's seared flesh, the scent sunk deep into her fur, staining her with it. If she looked, she'd probably be able to Fluttershy's blood in her fur as well. It sickened her, she fought back the inevitable nausea that came with the smell. It wasn't just Fluttershy's scent, the smell hung in the air like the smoke and ash, but knowing that the blood of her closest friend was soaked into her own fur made her want to crawl out of her own skin.

“I think that's it, the evacuation tent...” Scootaloo said, breaking Rainbow Dash of her circle of thought. Scootaloo, looking up at her with big, worried eyes.

“I- I think your right Scoots, thanks...” Rainbow turned her gaze back to Twilight who's head was hung low. She hadn't even looked up at the large white tent. “Twilight, we're here...”

“What?” Twilight said weakly, slowly lifting her head. Indeed, it was a tent, even bigger than the med tent, but the way it looked, Twilight felt as though she were going right back into that place. It was nightmare, the sick tent, a little glimpse of hell itself. She could feel it, she didn't know how, but she could feel the life draining from that place. I can still feel it, that sensation, it was almost like I was the one dying and, when he was gone, I could feel it, like a vacuum, like... Oh Celestia, I- I can't do it again, I can't feel that again. Thirty-three dead, in that tent alone... how many did I know? How many friends and family are they leaving behind? E-even one as young as that colt... and Fluttershy.

“Are any of you injured?” A rushed voice called as a stallion greeted us at the entrance. “If you have any injuries the med tent is back over there. You're friend doesn't look well and we don't have the resources to provide medical attention.” He spoke as he glanced at Twilight. “You should turn around and go back to the med-”

“No!” Twilight shouted, her head snapping up to meet the eyes of the stallion. “I won't go back there...”

“P-Princess Twilight?” The stallion said, bemused and unsure.

“I'm sorry,” Rainbow interceded. “She's fine, we all are, we're just looking for our friends.”

“O-okay, we have water but we're low on food and out of blankets and beds. We sent someone out to get anything they could from the hospital, but they likely wont be back for over an hour and-”

“Thanks, we'll be okay, come one Twilight, Scootaloo...” Wishing to avoid any further conversation, Rainbow led them around the stallion and into the tent, leading Twilight with her strong wing wrapped around her, ushering her forward, into the tent. It was dark inside, despite holding at least eighty ponies, it only had for main lanterns providing light, while several smaller lights dotted the tent, mostly personal lights and unicorns horns. The small lights painted the tent with soft but eery shadows. It was desolate, it was a sight Twilight had never seen before from the faces of Ponyville. All around her, faces she recognized sat, some heartbroken, some scared, and some searching, but not a face shone with any light. Every once in a while, she saw somepony turn their head towards the smoldering town. They weren't that far from it and the only things standing between them and the blaze was fire-ponies and luck.

Aside from soft mumbling, Rainbow Dash couldn't discern any words nor voices in the weary group. Many seemed just like Twilight, shell shocked and exhausted. Some dim silhouettes wandered like ghosts through the tent, their heads turning back and forth, scanning the dull and frail ponies for the familiar face of a loved one. Others cried, some with a shoulder and some alone, the crying ones stayed to the walls of the tent. The bleak sight was close to dragging out the tears that Rainbow had been holding in for the sake of Twilight and Scootaloo. This is... this is sickening. Nopony deserves this. Looking around, she saw that things were worse than the pony that greeted them has said. Nearly the entirety of the front of the tent was resigned to resting on the ground, in the dirt. Most those in shock had no blankets. A light, darting back and forth caught Dash's attention, this one was not one of the lost apparitions, wandering weakly, the light was moving fervently and with intent. It was the light of a unicorn's horn, and it was barely illuminating a pale face. Is that... Rainbow squinted at the figure as she tried to confirm their identity.

“Rarity?”Rainbow asked out loud.

“You're right, it's Rarity,” Twilight confirmed. To Dash's relief, Twilight's voice had a note of happiness, knowing at least one of their friends was alive and well, eased her mind, she could imagine it was even more so for her marefriend. A lively spark ignited in Twilight's eyes as she took a deep breath and shouted: “Rarity!”

The mare stopped, her glowing horn revealing tired and distraught eyes. Held within her her magic grasp was a large bundle of exquisite clothes. As though she had seen a ghost, Rarity stared at them before the pile of clothes fell to the floor as she bounded towards them, weaving between resting ponies that dotted the floor.

“Twilight! Rainbow Dash!” Rarity cried out in relief, quickly closing the distance between them.

“Rarity what-” Before Twilight could get another word out, Rarity reared up, wrapping her hooves around the couple, pulling them into a tight embrace. They could feel her body trembling as she gripped them and, the could smell something else: Her fur and mane were singed. Twilight and Rainbow Dash glanced wearily at each other before Rarity released them, dropping back to her hooves.

“Thank Celestia you're both okay! I thought you might be since the two of you had gone out this morning, but I was still so worried! I-” She came to an abrupt stop as her gaze drifted from her friends to a young filly beside them.

“S-Scootaloo?” Rarity whispered in disbelief.

“Yeah?” Scootaloo replied bemused.

“Scootaloo! Oh Scootaloo, you made it out? Oh thank goodness, with what happened at the school we- That's not important right now, where is Sweetie Belle and Apple Bloom?” Rarity smiled and stared at Scootaloo expectantly. Twilight watched the relief fade from her eyes as horror filled Scootaloo's expression.

“I wasn't at the school... I was Fluttershy. What happened? What happened to the school?” Scootaloo's voice began to crack as tears forced their way to her eyes and a lump swelled in her throat.

“I- I see...” Rarity fell to the dirt, her eyes foggy with tears. “You weren't there... you didn't make it out of the school...”

“What do you mean!” Scootaloo screamed. “What happened!? What happened to Sweetie Belle and Apple Bloom!?”

“Scootaloo calm down.” Rainbow spoke softly, doing her best to reassure her de facto sister before returning her attention to Rarity.

“Rarity, please, what's happened?” Twilight gently prodded. It was plain to see that Rarity was in a lot of distress, what ever happened, it wouldn't be good news. Rainbow had to stop herself from holding her breath, with the state her marefriend was just in, she didn't know what more bad news could do to her. With everything that was happening, they needed her now more than ever.

“The fires broke out all at once you see, there was nothing we could do. The school, it was right in the middle of it all, but by the time the firefighters had gotten organized, it was too late. I- I saw it, the entire building was in flames. Sweetie Belle, she- she was going out with Apple Bloom to the school, just before this all started. I've looked everywhere, so has Applejack, we couldn't find them, we couldn't find them anywhere...”

“No! They- they can't be gone! You just missed them! They must be at the club house! Did you check there? Did you check the club house!?”

“Scootaloo, Sweet Apple Acres... it's gone.”

“No! That can't be true! Th- they can't be-” A strong hoof pulled her, nearly knocking her off balance. It pulled her tight against tone muscles and soft fur. As she looked up, she saw her big sister, Rainbow Dash, holding her close.

“Scootaloo, I'm sure their okay, but we just can't do anything right now. You need to stay strong for me okay. Everything's going to be okay.”

“Rarity, do you have any idea what caused all of this?” Twilight asked, pulling everyone's attention from the unpleasant possibilities.

“No, I was hoping you would... After the fire started I grabbed as many things as I could and left my boutique. I've been doing what I could, nopony was prepared for anything like this, I've been giving my clothes out as blankets and helping with the water, of course, I brought blankets too, but those ran out very fast.”

“Where are the others?” Twilight's voice became more lively, more filled with strength like it used to be as she glanced around the room.

“Applejack is here with Big Mac and...” She trailed off, her eyes wandering to the tent entrance.

“And?” Twilight prompted. “Where's Pinkie Pie?” She surveyed the room once more. “We're going to need all the-” A quick nudge to her side silenced her. Twilight whipped her head back towards her marefriend with a less than pleased look, but her visage became somber as she looked into Dash's eyes, locked onto Rarity and filling with dread. Slowly, reluctantly, Twilight turned to face her friend. She didn't want to, she didn't want to know what she suspected, somehow she felt like if she didn't look, time would stop, everything would stop, but she knew, she couldn't stop the truth. When she finally met Rarity's eyes, she knew for sure, something terrible had happened.

“Pinkie Pie... Pinkie Pie was here. She had gotten to safety, with me but then, she left. She ran out, back into town, she said that Pound Cake and Pumpkin Cake were still in there...”

“No... she couldn't- she couldn't be...” Twilight stuttered as she turned, looking behind her, she knew what Rarity was looking at... 'The med tent.'

“I tried to follow her, but she ran straight into Sugar Cube Corner... it was completely covered in flames. I tried, I did everything I could to stop her, but she ran in. When the firefighters ran in after her, they carried her out, with Pumpkin and Pound Cake in her hooves. Mr and Mrs. Cake, we don't know where they are... Pinkie, she's in the Med Tent with the babies. I- Twilight... Twilight are you alright?"

Why is this happening?! First Fluttershy, the Pinkie Pie! The thirty-three others, that colt... What the hell is going on!? Why is this happening now? Who's responsible: Queen Chrysalis, Sombra, Tirek? No, none of them have the power to do this! Who could it be? Who's dong this? Why would anyone want to kill so many ponies! This- this can't be happening. This can't be happening. What can I do?! Their dying, ponies are dying right now! I- I have to do something. Twilight spiraled as her mind reeled. It felt like the room was spinning. She felt sick and weak, she was crying and she couldn't stop, her jaw was clenched so tight her teeth ached and her breathing was rapid and shallow. This was no accident or natural disaster, whoever is responsible... they have to be stopped!

Rainbow Dash again draped her wing over Twilight and held her close, all the while not letting go of Scootaloo. Rarity came to Twilight's side and placed her hoof over hers. Rainbow felt a boiling anger, a rage well up inside of her. Two of her friends, her best friends, were on the verge of death, and for what? She didn't know why any of this happened, she could smell it in the smoke filled air, and she could feel it in her trembling marefriend, this was only the beginning.