• Published 18th Jun 2014
  • 778 Views, 15 Comments

A Fire for Tomorrow - maxxxxxx



The sun has extinguished and death and darkness are left in it's wake.

  • ...
2
 15
 778

The Burning: Part Two

“Fluttershy!” Rainbow Dash ran to the battered pegasus’ side, over the crackle of the near by fire she and her own racing heart she could hear Scootaloo sobbing and sniffling uncontrollably. In the low light provided by the hot embers, Rainbow saw grotesque burns seared across Fluttershy's flanks following the pattern of a lightning bolt. Carefully minding her wounds, Rainbow brought her ear to rest on Fluttershy. Closing her eyes, she could feel the weak rise and fall in her chest and a tepid heart beat.

“Rainbow you have to help her!” Scootaloo cried, her voice trembling with fear and confusion. “O-one minute I was helping her, with some baby birds then, everything went dark an- and now…”

Scootaloo came to an abrupt stop as Twilight draped her wing over the filly and pulled her to her side, holding her against her flank. Twilight didn’t say a word as she watched Rainbow Dash listen to their friends heartbeat. The tension was heavy in the air as she awaited Rainbow’s word, if Fluttershy was alive, or not.

This shouldn’t have happened, Pegasi bodies should be able to handle some lightening without getting… without getting like this. Why is this happening?! Rainbow gritted her teeth and her tears made hazy the dim light of the embers as she sat by her friend’s side, she slowly lifter her head.

“She’s alive… but we need to get her to a doctor, she- she’s not in good shape. Twilight, take Scootaloo, we can’t be far from Ponyville now. Do you have enough magic left to left her on to my back?” Rainbow's tone was grave, there was a hushed urgency in her voice. Twilight knew she was holding back to ease Scootaloo's fears, but deep down, she could almost feel her panic. Twilight closed her eyes and felt within herself, grasping at her dwindled pool of magic. The immense feedback from the lightening and the radiation sapped her of much her power, but she was recovering.

“Yeah, I think so.” She opened her eyes. Taking a deep breath she summoned her strength and Fluttershy's body was enveloped in her violet aura.

“Be careful Twilight, keep her in that position as best you can, we don't know how bad... we just need to be careful.” Rainbow didn't expect an answer as Twilight focused on pooling her magic. Without another word, Dash splayed her wings and straightened her back as much as she could, making room for her injured friend. She was thankful now for the training she got in emergency rescue flying. Though I haven't exactly got my certificate updated, it's been a couple years. I really hope I'm doing this right.

She felt the dead weight of her friend ease on to her back, she locked her leg joints to keep her body as stable as possible while Twilight released Fluttershy on to Rainbow.

“Will you be able to fly like that?” Twilight asked concerned.

“Yeah, I should be okay. You go first, give me some light, just keep flying straight the way we were going. I'll be right behind you.” With the assurance from her marefriend, Twilight nodded, even though she knew it was unlikely that Rainbow could distinguish her nod in the low light, she didn't want to risk breaking her focus any further.

“Alright Scootaloo, hold on tight.” With a beat of her wings, Twilight took to the air and hovered over the filly before wrapping her hooves around her small body. With a few strong flaps, Twilight turned around in the air, trying to get a baring on her position, the only thing to give her any idea of direction was the small burning tree that laid by Scootaloo and Fluttershy. 'So Ponyville should be that way...' With her mind made up, her horn began to glow and she flew towards home, pleading with fate that their town was spared the chaos and the flames.

“Twilight, what’s happening?” Scootaloo asked, her mind still reeling from the shock. A million theories ran through her mind but in the end, with a heavy heart, she knew, she had to tell the truth, not just to Scootaloo, but to herself. She could hear the labored wing beats of Rainbow Dash as she caught up. Knowing that her love would be beside her, gave her the courage she needed, to say it.

“I don’t know Scootaloo, I just don’t know.”

“Don't you worry squirt, Fluttershy's going to be fine. Once we get back home, me and Twilight and the girls will take care of what ever crazy thing is causing all this and be back in time for dinner.” Rainbow said. Despite the darkness making it impossible for Twilight to see her face, she could only picture that cocksure grin spread across Dash's face. She couldn't tell if her acting had gotten better or if she really meant it, but either way, Twilight felt more confident now than she had since the darkness swallowed the world. She's right, there's nothing that we can't solve together, this will be no exception.

“Twilight, keep an eye out, Ponyville should be just up ahead.” Rainbow Dash yelled and they flew over the hills and trees, most of whom seemed to be spared the fire, giving more hope to the safety of their home. Not even a minute later, a warm light glowed from behind a string of hills. Twilight's heart raced and she accelerated upwards, climbing over the hills with Rainbow in toe. Time seemed to slow down as they came closer and closer to their town, all three of them, with one question in their mind: Was their town spared the burning? In less than a second, they would have their answer.

Twilight came to a dead stop, hovering in the air, a flickering light reflected from her eyes, the awestruck air about her told Rainbow what lay ahead, even before she caught up. The moment she ascended the hills, fear and apprehension crumbled away, leaving horror in their place as they looked down upon Ponyville, engulfed in fire.