• Published 18th Jun 2014
  • 5,299 Views, 297 Comments

A Bhaalspawn in Equestria - Thadius0



When you're turned into your character from Baldur's Gate and shoved across the Multiverse, I can tell you one thing that happens: Nothing Good.

  • ...
23
 297
 5,299

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 10 - Chaos shall be sown...

I looked up from my mock complex alchemical equation to see Luna land near me, torn and bloody. With not even a flash, she was whole again and growled almost like a predator. "Foul beast...."

"You know," I pitched in, "That's fifteen straight wins to him. You should just give up and ask the question that's sitting in your head."

She turned to me and glared quite impressively. If looks could kill, that one would have at least seriously wounded me. "Fine. Pray tell, how doth this beast keep defeating Us in Our own realm?"

I waved my hands and dismissed the floating equation, conjuring up a chair to recline in at the same time. "It's quite simple," I said, sipping on a glass of wine that had appeared from nowhere. "One of the things I took to heart when I was younger was a simple saying. Know Thyself. And I do. I know not only my Self, but my Mind. My control over my own dreams is something I've honed...when I've gotten a chance to sleep, that is."

"And I have helped him hone it, by being a foe he had to WORK to defeat. I am, after all, only the dark little voice in his head that tells him, constantly, that 'all this trouble could be avoided with a swift slice to the jugular.'"

The Slayer had walked up to my side during my explanation, and Luna immediately stiffened, preparing herself for a strike that didn't come.

"Slayer, play nice." As he growled I turned back to Luna and smiled. "Wanna know something fun, Luna?"

She nodded once, jerkily, not quite paying attention. I jerked a thumb at the Slayer, and my next words caught her attention. "Even though I've resisted him for nigh a thousand years, that's not even his final form."

Her eyes widened and her jaw dropped. "But...a thousand years...not his true form...if that be true, then...what manner of monster ART thou?!"

I grinned wildly, this had all the makings of an exceptional set-up, she just needed a bit of bait. "Mine mother was an elf," I started, mimicking a bit of her tone, "While father was a shape-changer, a skin-walker, one who could be many. When he met mine mother, he was in the form of an ordinary man, though that did not diminish his nature...or the nature of the curse he passed on to me, like he passed on to so many of my half-siblings."

Luna considered for a moment, and then opened her mouth to ask a question. "Elf...man? What is a...man?"

It could not be more perfect. I smashed the wineglass on the imaginary floor of the dream realm and bellowed at her. "A MISERABLE LITTLE PILE OF SECRETS!"

The Slayer pitched in then. "But enough talk...HAVE AT YOU!"

And with that, round sixteen started, but did not end before I woke up...

-----
(Let's quickly look at Canterlot Gardens...)

"Girls! Now this is a really interesting statue. What do you notice about it?"

"It's got an eagle claw!" Capable of rending asunder any rules or laws...

"And a lion paw!" That which brings all things to heel under its weight...

"And a snake tail!" To show that even in his honor, he is dishonorable...

"This creature is called a draconequus. He has the head of a pony and a body made up of all sorts of things. What do you suppose that represents?"

"Confusion!" He DOES leave it in his wake...

"Evil!" Nay, merely...misunderstood...

"Chaos!" He IS its Lord and Master...

"It's not chaos, you dodo!" Oooh, such infighting already? Brother Mayhem, how very nice...

"Don't call me things I don't know the meaning of! And it is too chaos!" Why thank you, Sister Anarchy...

"Is not!" What say you, Brother Madness? Is this enough yet?

"You're both wrong!" It should be, by now. He should have enough to draw on to break his prison, what with the re-alignment of the Elements...

"Actually, in a way, you're all right. This statue represents 'Discord,' which means a lack of harmony between ponies. In fact, you three have demonstrated discord so well that you're each going to write me an essay explaining it."

The class laughed, oblivious to the looming doom...

"Now let's go, and I don't want anymore fighting."

-----
(Wuh-oh...)

I knew the day was going to be interesting when I walked out the door to see a pink cloud zoom by. Even moreso when I saw it dribble some sort of brown fluid behind it. I raised an eyebrow as nearby forest animals started to mutate and head into town, to do...I dunno. Probably monstrous things.

I looked again at the insanity that was encompassing the area around me and pulled out one of the books I'd snagged from the library during my late-night visit. I flipped through the pages until I reached 'D' and stopped. "Huh. Brought chaos to the landscape, caused strife and disharmony amongst pony kind, nothing made any sense from one day to the next..."

I looked up from the book to see that things had only gotten worse, looked back down, sighed, and snapped it shut. Then I softly sang the prophecy that had been seared into my memory upon my first arriving in Equestria.

"The Lord of Murder shall perish, but in his doom he shall spawn a score of mortal progeny." I paused for effect, to make sure the spirit in question was listening. "Chaos shall be sown from their passing."

"Well," said a disembodied voice, "I'm not certain how related you are to those three fillies, but I did break out after they passed me by, so I suppose your little statement is correct."

I shook my head and responded to the voice. "It is not just a statement. It was a prophecy. The Sword Coast was embroiled in a war like no other when the Bhaalspawn there learned of it. Afraid of his fellow man, each one attempted to strike first. At times, it seemed that the sky rained blood."

There was a flash and a popping noise from behind me, and I refused to look. "How gruesome. What does that have to do with the here and now?"

I looked up to the sky, which had begun to take on an interesting hue. "I heard it again when I first came here, nigh a thousand years ago. I suppose, if the three fillies that passed in front of you are related to me by father's blood, then the prophecy can technically be fulfilled here, without the need for bloodshed."

I turned to regard the chimera that stood before me and smiled. "Of course, that does leave the problem of you..."

Discord raised his claw and smirked at me. "And who do you think you are that you can stop ME, the Lord of Chaos and Disharmony?"

"Stop you?" I quirked an eyebrow. "Heavens no. If there's one thing this place needs, it's a dose of Chaos."

Discord paused mid-snap, his mouth agape as he heard my words. "You...what?"

I shrugged my shoulders and explained myself. "I've always seen it like this: four physical, four metaphysical, two divine. All are required in balance, in harmony, for each and every world, lest it stagnate and wither."

The spirit of chaos held his lion paw up to his beard and stroked it. "I think I can guess some of it, but you're doing such a good job of explaining it. Do continue."

I nodded and gathered my thoughts. "Four physical. Air, Water, Earth, Fire. They form the base. Four metaphysical. Creation, Destruction, Order, Chaos. Properly moderated, they motivate the life that arises. Two divine. Heaven, Hell. They safeguard the souls of they that pass on. A world without a proper dose of all ten such planes...is not a true world at all."

I waved a hand at the scenery around us. "Before you came about, there was hardly any Chaos here at all. Perhaps residue from your last jaunt, or maybe some leakage from your prison. Just enough to keep the world limping on, but not enough for a true world at all. I've yet to find any avatars of Creation or Destruction, but methinks the sisters Celestial would do well for avatars of Order. And they've done too good a job these past eons."

Discord summoned up an armchair and drank a glass of chocolate milk as he heard my explanation. "So you think I'm necessary?"

I nodded. "In moderation, yes. Just as too much Order would end with ponies marching through the streets in perfect order, curfews being in effect, Big Celestia watching you, and us always being at war with Griffonia...or is it Zanzebra? Or perhaps the Dragons? Too much Chaos will result in something nobody wants to deal with."

I shook my head as the scenery around us began to turn worse and worse. "Chaos may be change, the creation of new ideas, but Order is needed to incorporate those ideas into already existing systems. Destruction may help break things down, but Creation can remake the useful portions. Disharmony is always needed, because without a differing viewpoint, how would you know where you went wrong in making a Harmonious empire?"

I glared at the spirit and stated, quite firmly, "You need to be stopped and shown the values in moderating your power."

He glared back. "And who are you to think, no, demand, that I do so?"

I moved to answer him, but he tapped me on the head before I could. "Never mind, don't bother. Let's see who you aren't instead. I'm sure it'll be more entertaining than your doom and gloom personality."

I began to twitch as I felt his magic go to work, rearranging my mind...cracking seals...hearing the Slayer exalt in the depths as all the doors were flung open...

I had time for one phrase, and I looked the spirit in the eyes as he began to notice my shift. "You shouldn't have done that."

Then I felt it. My skin began to crawl, my bones began to shift, my muscles quivered with anticipation, and my blood began to boil and sing.

The Slayer was about to truly be unleashed...

PreviousChapters Next