• Published 19th Jun 2014
  • 3,137 Views, 78 Comments

Even Changlings Wear Masks - watermane2000



Chrysalis, now queen of an extinct race, must go to the nearest town, Ponyville, to gather love and rebuild her race. But she never expected the Element of Magic to take her in voluntary. What will come out of this friendship and need to feed?

  • ...
11
 78
 3,137

Prologue

Chrysalis walked through her hive’s cave. It’s been about three months since her failed attempt to take Canterlot. Since then, things got even worse than before the Canterlot invasion. Thousands of her subjects are dead and food reserves are low, very low. There were only fifty Changelings remaining, thirty of them guards, nineteen, nobles and her sister, Cavatica.

If there was one thing similar about her and Celestia, it was they loved their little sisters very much and have failed their duty as older sisters. Cavatica suggested that they should ask the ponies for help instead of attacking them, but Chrysalis was too impatient to wait for politics to help her. Her subjects needed food now so she choose to ignore her sister. And now Cavatica is paying the price for her failure.

Chrysalis approached the main cave chamber, where all of the surviving changelings reside. The sound of coughing and groaning from fifty changelings filled the chamber. The only reason they were alive at all at this point is because of the life support spell she casted upon them. She walked towards her sister, doing her best to look strong for the subjects that surrounded Cavatica. Cavatica slowly opened her eyes, as she saw Chrysalis, she gave a small smile upon see her sister.

“Hello Chrysy.” She said weakly. Chrysalis lied down beside her sister.

“Hello Cava, how are you doing today?” She asked, her eyes starting to tear up a little from the sight of pain her sister and subjects are in. The pain caused by her.

Cavatica coughed very loudly before replying, “Aside from the coughing and pain, pretty good.” Cavatica was still smiling. How can she still be smiling in a time like this, while in so much pain?, Chrysalis thought.

“I’m so sorry this all happened, Cava. I should’ve just listened to you from the beginning.” At this point, tears were going down Chrysalis face. So much for looking strong for the others., she thought.

“Hey, you have nothing to be sorry about…..ok maybe a little. But you were doing what you thought was right for our subjects. Nothing more, no-” her loud coughing cutted her sentence off, “nothing less. Sides, you were always stubborn like that.”

“And look where that got us.” Chrysalis looked away from her sister. Cavatica slowly brought her hoof up and gently moved Chrysalis face back towards her.

“You are a great leader Chrysy, the only reasons those mistakes happened was because you were under stress.”

“Thanks but it still doesn’t make me feel better.”

Cavatica coughed loudly once more, “Well, if that doesn’t then I hope what I’m about to tell you will. I just remembered a way to get our race back on their hooves.”

Chrysalis was nothing if not surprised by this. “You do?” she asked.

Cavatica’s smile grew a little larger. “Knew that would make you better. But yes, I do. Are you willing to listen this time big sis?”

“Of course. I’d do anything if it meant the survival of our race.”

“Good. Now it’s pretty simple. All you need to do is gather a bunch of love-” She was cut off once again by her coughing, “and then lay eggs.”

“Of course. The fail safe plan established by our ancestors. How could’ve I forgot?” Chrysalis remembered learning about the fail safe when she was in her teens.

“Because, it required the queen to find true love in order to be completed with no spells, potions, ect. and you didn’t exactly like that part of the fail safe.” Cava answered her.

So that’s why I forgot. Damn you ancestors. Damn you. Chrysalis thought. But if it’s a chance to redeem myself for my mistakes and save my people then…….

“I’ll do it.” Chrysalis said strongly.

Cava coughed again. It wasn’t as loud, but it was still loud enough. “Good. The nearest town from here is Ponyville. I think you should start there.”

“Alright, Cava. I promise you that you will see the light from outside and see our race rise again. I will not let you down.” Chrysalis said, with full on waterworks coming from her eyes.

“Thanks sis. Now get going, will ya?”

Chrysalis nodded, got up and galloped out of the room. She galloped all the way to the entrance of the cave where at that point she flew the rest of the way to Ponyville.

Author's Note:

And so it begins.