• Published 22nd Jun 2014
  • 14,651 Views, 88 Comments

The Play's The Thing - HMXTaylorLee



Sweetie Belle isn't sure how to tell Scootaloo that she likes her. However, an opportunity presents itself when she is tasked with directing a schoolhouse reenactment about one of the first romantic relationships between a unicorn and a pegasus.

  • ...
7
 88
 14,651

Intermission: Learning The Lines

Now that Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo were both cast as Star Bright and Drift Monsoon, the atmosphere was a markedly different one than before. There were rumblings of doubt, laughter, curiosity, and at least from Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon, serious unrest circulating throughout the colts and fillies. Sweetie Belle felt a growing sense of unease now that she was both the director and one of the stars. Though it was purely through happenstance that she wound up being cast as Star Bright, she couldn't help but wonder if the numerous classmates would think badly of her for it — it wasn't like she had planned it!

A tiny, ecstatic voice in her head, however, couldn't be happier that things had worked out the way they did. Now she had a perfect excuse to tell Scootaloo exactly how much she meant to her! However, another voice was wondering if finally telling Scootaloo the truth in this form would be as cathartic as she hoped her confession would be, or if it would just make her longing even worse knowing that pouring her heart out to her crush was going to be seen as nothing but a performance. But then there would be that kiss... maybe Scootaloo would feel the honesty behind it, and know that it was all true? Being that Sweetie Belle had never kissed anypony else before, other than her parents, she was more than a little nervous. What if she was bad at it? What if she missed? What if she got so nervous that she threw up all over Scootaloo?

Sweetie Belle gasped aloud, shaking her head to silence those horrifying thoughts. She knew that there was only one way to find out what would happen, and that was by actually putting on the play. However, even after her mane stopped shifting from the jerking, the voices didn't stop. She looked away from Scootaloo, who had slunk into her desk with a flushed face muttering silently to herself, and looked around the classroom to see the remainder of her classmates talking among themselves, clearly restless.

She began to panic — how long had she been lost in thought? Sweetie Belle both loved and hated that thinking about Scootaloo could do that to her.

"Everypony?" she cried, finding herself once again the target of over a dozen pairs of staring eyes. "I know that the casting so far might be a bit..."

Sweetie Belle heard a shrill voice utter the word "horrendous", but ignored it.

"...Unorthodox," she continued. "But, I think that's one of the things that's going to make Ponyville Elementary's production of "Harmony's Flowers" really stand out!" Sweetie Belle cleared her throat, and stepped out into the circle of desks. "I promise that Scootaloo and I are going to do our best to fit the roles we're playing." Scootaloo offered a smile and an enthusiastic nod. "That said, we still have a lot of really important parts to cast yet, and on top of simply casting the roles well, I want to make sure that the ponies playing them actually want to play them."

Sweetie Belle sighed in relief as she heard murmurs of general agreement sounding around her. She noticed Rumble nodding his head profusely.

"So, we're going to do things just a little bit differently. Instead of simply listing the parts, and straight up assigning them to everypony, we're going to do a really quick run through of the first act."

The aforementioned murmurs of agreement changed back to the familiar rumblings of confusion.

"What does that even mean?"
"Wait, who's playing who?"
"How are we supposed to act without casting?"
"This doesn't make any sense!"

"Wait, wait, wait!" Sweetie Belle waved her script in the air. "Remember how Rumble and Diamond Tiara came up to act as Drift and Star? It was pretty clear from that performance that Rumble didn't want to play Drift, right?" After a bit of laughter, she carried on with a smile. "So instead, we're going to start from the beginning. As the roles are introduced, anypony who wants to can come up to the center to act it out. That way, all of us, and not just me, can help with the casting process. Does that sound good to everypony?"

"And if two ponies want to play the same character?" Unsurprisingly, Silver Spoon was the one to inquire.

"Then..." Sweetie Belle scratched her chin "...then they can both try, and we can all put it to a vote to see who did it best."

After she and one of her best friends inadvertently wound up as the starring roles, Sweetie Belle wanted to make absolutely sure that the class didn't think she was abusing her power as both play director and casting director to unfairly give her friends the best roles. A voting system seemed like the best way to do it, and judging from the nods encircling her, even the reluctant ones from Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon, it looked like the right choice.

Sweetie Belle exhaled deeply, relieved that she seemed to have quelled that notion of corruption for the time being. With a perk in her step, she trotted back to her desk and the grinning faces of Apple Bloom and Scootaloo.

"Nicely handled, director," Apple Bloom whispered as Sweetie Belle climbed into her seat.

"Thanks," Sweetie Belle replied as she picked up her copy of the script, opening it to the first page. She cleared her throat, and addressed the rest of the class as authoritatively as she could muster.

"So, let's get started! Act 1: Scene 1. The narrator is the first one to speak, so whoever wants to be the narrator, start us off!"

***

"It wath a beautiful day in the land of Equethtria. The thun was thining —"

***

"Stop!"

"What is now, Diamond Tiara?" Apple Bloom rolled her eyes.

"Shouldn't we at least have a narrator that can speak properly? I mean, like, no offense, Twist." Diamond Tiara's added rather lamely.

"None taken..." Twist said with a frown.

"Who are you to say who can and can't narrate?" Rumble fired, coming to Twist's aid.

"No, Rumble," Sweetie Belle intervened. "Diamond Tiara's right. It's important that everypony can understand what's going on. Twist, would you mind maybe playing a different role?"

"Not at all!" Twist replied cheerfully, diving back into her script, likely to scour for another role she could try for.

"Great! Does anypony else want to narrate?"

"I'll give it a go," Pipsqueak piped up with his Old Equestrian accent.

Sweetie Belle clapped her hooves together. "Alright, from the top."

***

"It was a beautiful day in Equestria. The sun was shining, the breeze was blowing, and spirits were high. Ponies were enjoying the scenery that their new land provided. However, in the village of Founder's Green, not all was well."

*The lights turn on to reveal the exterior of a flower shop, entitled "Founder's Greenery". Outside, a female earth pony and male unicorn are witnessed standing close to each other.*

***

"Excellent narration, Pipsqueak! Your accent adds such an old timey... sophistication to it!" Sweetie Belle said, the rest of the class agreeing enthusiastically.

Pipsqueak bowed his head. "Why thank you!"

"Narrator... Pipsqueak." Sweetie Belle scribbled on her script. "Alright, these two ponies. A female earth pony and a male unicorn. Both fairly minor, but recurring, roles, but who wants to step up and play them?"

Snips bounded over his desk to the center of the room, practically tripping over his best friend Snails. "I've so got this!"

"Okay. So, the female earth pony? Silver Spoon? Diamond Tiara?" Sweetie Belle asked the two, hoping that suggesting that she wanted their participation would make the duo more cooperative. After all, if the play was to be a success, she'd need everypony involved to be willing to work together.

"Psh! As if," Silver Spoon exclaimed with disgust. "She only has like... three lines."

There was a scraping of a chair against the floor. Twist had stepped to the center of the room alongside Snips. "Thould be good for me, right?"

Sweetie Belle nodded her head, and clapped her hooves to resume the scene.

***

The couple nuzzled with each other, and the unicorn used his magic to present a bouquet of flowers to the earth pony.

"Oooh! They're tho pretty! Thank you!"

The earth pony gave him a swift peck on the cheek.

***

The entire class giggled madly, Twist and Snips both blushing profusely with big, silly smiles on their faces.

***

"They reminded me of you, of course they're pretty!" The unicorn replied bashfully.

"Aww thucks!" The earth pony wrapped him in a hug.

"Suddenly," the narration continued. "The owner of the flower shop, Gardenia, emerges from within. She looks upset."

***

"Now, It says here that Gardenia is the owner of the flower shop. She's an earth pony, Harmony's mother, and is not fond of ponies being affectionate outside of their race. Cold, callous, and stubborn, and also a major character... Any takers?" Sweetie Belle asked the collective.

"Diamond Tiara!" Cried several ponies at once. "This role is perfect for her!"

"What are you talking about?" Diamond Tiara shouted incredulously. "I'm not any of those things!"

"Of course not," Scootaloo agreed with a nearly undetectable trace of sarcasm. "But are you a good enough actress to pull it off?"

"Are you joking? Step aside!" Diamond Tiara pushed backwards to allow herself room to make her way to the center. "Hurry up, let's get on with it." Taking it upon herself, she clapped her hooves together to continue the show.

***

"Get that out of here!" Gardenia cried, waving a bouquet of flowers at the two ponies frantically. "Nopony wants to see that kind of behavior in public, especially between... ponies like you two."

"Excuse me, ma'am," the unicorn stepped in front of his frightened and embarrassed filly friend. "But what we do together is none of your business!"

"It is my business, young man! If I told the noble Baron Brilliance that one of his followers was seen courting a common earth pony, he'd have you exiled! You're lucky I'm in a good mood today!"

"E-Exthiled?" The female earth pony asked timidly.

"Yes, exiled!" Gardenia answered. "Same for you, missy! If Mayor Marigold found out about your relationship, you'd be ousted from Founder's Green in an instant!" She stomped her hoof on the ground to illustrate. "Now get out of here before I change my mind!"

"Fine! Whatever, lady!" The unicorn relented. "Let's just... get out of here..."

*The earth pony and unicorn exit the stage*

***

"Wow... that was actually really good, Diamond." Scootaloo said, genuinely impressed.

"See? Told you I'm great." Diamond Tiara brushed her shoulders casually.

"So, can I mark you for Gardenia, then?" Sweetie Belle asked with the tip of a quill in her mouth, hovering above her personal copy of the script.

Diamond Tiara uttered a sigh. "Fine, whatever. I don't think anypony else would be half as convincing as me anyways."

"Alright, another role down!" Sweetie Belle cried excitedly after she finished writing. It looked like her unusual method of casting was working after all! "Next up, we have Harmony. This is the daughter of Gardenia, a hard working yet inquisitive earth pony who doesn't understand why different races can't be seen together in public showing affection." Sweetie Belle gestured to Apple Bloom. "You said you were interested in this one, right?"

"Ah sure did! Does anypony mind if Ah give this role a try?" Nopony spoke up.

"They probably don't want to be on stage, pretending to be related to Diamond Tiara," Scootaloo whispered into Sweetie Belle's ear, much to her friend's delight.

"Well, let's hop to it!" Apple Bloom bounced next to the seemingly perpetually annoyed looking Diamond Tiara. Snips and Twist had both already retreated to their seats, smiling faces still faintly red.

***

"Mama, mama! You'll never believe it — that flower Ah found is starting to bloom!" A voice from inside the flower shop cried.

"Harmony? What's going on now?" Gardenia called back inside, setting the bouquet of flowers she had waved at the offensively affectionate ponies neatly down on the ground beneath the window.

Harmony burst forth from the door, gently carrying on her back a pot containing a very peculiar looking flower. The flower had a large, bright orange bulb of curled petals like a tiger lily. Yet, the bright white stem bore several thorns, like that of a rose.

"Mah flower! It's blooming!" The young earth pony cried happily.

"That Flankenenstein looking flower?" Gardenia's nose wrinkled in disgust. "It doesn't look like it to me."

Harmony carefully removed the flower from her back, and gazed at it, her enthusiasm quickly fading. "Oh... but it was blooming just a minute ago. It had this beautiful purple floret inside of the orange petals..."

Gardenia continued to arrange the bouquets at the storefront, moving the same one to the left and right mere inches to try and get it just right. "It's probably for the best," she said. "I ain't never seen a flower with those kinda colors on a rose stem. It's not natural."

"Oh well..." Harmony sighed, looking hopefully at the flower on the ground before changing the subject. "What was all that fuss about earlier?"

"That? Oh, I was just doing my part, trying to keep other ponies from getting into trouble." Gardenia answered, finally satisfied with the positioning of the bouquet.

"Trouble? From what?"

"Who, rather. Mayor Marigold, Baron Brilliance, and Captain Cumulus. The leaders of the pony races here in Founder's Green are none too keen on different types of ponies... intermingling as it were."

"Why not? Wasn't Equestria founded because of different ponies becomin' friends?"

"Friends maybe, but not romantically involved. We have to work to preserve our purity!"

"Purity of what?"

"Purity of our earth pony magic! If we had foals that were half earth pony, half unicorn, they wouldn't be half as good at doing either earth pony or unicorn jobs! That's why we have to keep them separate; to preserve our way of life."

"Is that true?"

"So many questions! The tribes leaders don't agree often, but they agreed on this. It has to be true! Besides, can you imagine... ponies with wings and horns? That's just so... unnatural. Blech!" Gardenia shook her head violently as if to exorcise the image from her mind's eye.

"Ah heard from one of the pegasus at school that the new princesses of Equestria have both wings and horns. Least, that's what she told me," Harmony pointed out.

"Don't pay her no mind. She's a pegasus. The air is thinner where they live, causes them to think funny."

"Ah've heard that one before," Harmony sighed quietly.

The lights fade, and the curtain falls.

***

Sweetie Belle clapped her hooves together, jarringly putting the performance to a halt. While the rest of the class was raptly watching the story unfold in front of them, Sweetie Belle was following the script, determining when the next character would be introduced.

"Let me just say, and I think that everypony will agree with me, but I think our casting so far is really good!" She opined, somepony in the class agreeing enough to start a round of applause that everypony joined in on.

Sweetie Belle wasn't surprised that Apple Bloom had done well as Harmony — that was the role she practiced in the clubhouse yesterday. Sweetie Belle was, however, surprised at how well Diamond Tiara was doing. Granted, a bigoted and ignorant character wasn't too much of a stretch, but it made Sweetie Belle all the more anxious about herself playing in a starring role.

Don't forget, a little voice inside her head piped up. You're just playing an extension of yourself too! A unicorn who loves a pegasus.

The applause, and Sweetie Belle's nervousness, died down. With the class seemingly more attentive to her instruction, she continued.

"So next, we have two more characters. One is a somewhat minor character, Princess Celestia's Messenger. The other is Mayor Marigold." She flipped back to the front of the script to locate the character descriptions. "It says that Mayor Marigold is the leader of the earth ponies in Founder's Green. She is a longtime friend of Gardenia, and she also shares the same strong opposition about different pony races being romantically involved."

Three fillies moved to the center of the classroom when Sweetie Belle finished; Silver Spoon, Tornado Bolt, and Sunny Daze.

"Ummm..." Sweetie Belle started slowly. Three ponies for two roles? Or did they all want to play one? "So, which characters did you three want to play?"

Tornado Bolt spoke up first. "I was hoping I could be allowed to play Princess Celestia's Messenger. I know in here it says it's a male, but considering..." Sweetie Belle could see Scootaloo grinning sheepishly out of the corner of her eye.

"Of course, that's not a problem." Sweetie Belle nodded. "Now, Silver Spoon? Sunny Daze?"

"Mayor Marigold," the two earth ponies answered simultaneously. Sweetie Belle gulped. Looks like it would be time to put that voting system to a test.

"I think I should play it, since Diamond Tiara and I are like, the best of friends." Silver Spoon pointed her hoof at Diamond Tiara, who reached out and gave her friend a hoof-bump. "Yeah, just like the mayor and Gardenia."

"Chemistry will only take you so far! My friend and I won for best dramatic performance at the talent show!" Sunny Daze bragged in retaliation.

"Reciting a poem on roller skates isn't like acting like, at all!" Silver Spoon cried.

"That's enough, girls!" Sweetie Belle interrupted. "So what's going to happen is, we're going to run through the scene twice, swapping you two out for Mayor Marigold. After we see you perform, everypony will vote for who they think played the part best. That sounds fair, right?"

Sunny Daze and Silver Spoon both agreed.

"So, Tornado, it looks like you'll be running unopposed for Princess Celestia's Messenger," Sweetie Belle informed the pegasus, receiving an enthusiastic hoof pump in return.

"Next up is the narration," Sweetie Belle motioned to Pipsqueak. "Whenever you're ready, take us away."

***

"In the City Hall, a distressed Mayor Marigold paces back and forth, accompanied by an pony unfamiliar to the denizens of Founder's Green. This pony is adorned in rather ornate armor, and gives an air of importance. The two are engaged in a heated conversation, and the nature of the argument will soon become clear."

"...Who did you say sent you again?" a frazzled Mayor Marigold asked.

"Princesses Celestia and Luna of Equestria," the other pony recited.

"Celestia, there's that name again... Well, listen here, good madam — I don't see why we need to follow this ridiculous decree. Everything is fine in Founder's Green," Mayor Marigold insisted staunchly.

"According to other scouts, merchants, messengers, and former citizens, this village in particular is barely a step up from Equestria prior to it's unification," the messenger pointed out, referencing a hefty roll of parchment.

"I can assure you, nothing is further from the truth!" Mayor Marigold waved her hooves frantically. "Pegasi, unicorns, and earth ponies all live together in perfect harmony in our lovely little hamlet!"

"I've a list of observations that says otherwise..."

"No, no! We earth ponies tend to the fields, providing food for everypony. The pegasi, bless them, they alter the weather so that we can grow our food. And the noble unicorns raise and lower the sun each day to provide the warmth and light that everypony needs! See, perfect harmony!"

"Actually..." the messenger stopped moving. "Princesses Celestia and Luna raise the sun and moon each day. They've been doing so for the past few months."

"BAH! I knew it!" Mayor Marigold exploded, the startled messenger flinching as a result. "Lazy unicorns, taking credit for things they don't even do, I should have known bet—." She froze, her chest wildly heaving in and out. "Ahem, I meant to say, how delightful! I always said those hardworking unicorns could use an extra hoof—"

"Case in point," the messenger said coolly with a click of the tongue. "Not that it matters, being that you live in Equestrian borders, you are obligated to follow this decree set forth by our highness, which states that—"

"No!" Mayor Marigold burst out again. "Oh haha, I'm sorry. I mean to say that I'm quite aware of what it says. It just so happens that I know a perfect place for them to learn. If it pleases you, would you follow me?"

With a wary eye, the messenger lifted her right hoof, crossing it in front of her left, pointing at the the door.

"After you."

*The duo exit the door, and the lights fade once again*

***

Suffice it to say, the ponies in the casting session learned that section of the play very well. Silver Spoon and Sunny Daze performed the scene not just once, but twice, before the rest of the class (Sweetie Belle included) was comfortable in selecting one of them to play the mayor. Tornado Bolt meanwhile, was able to memorize all of her lines as Princess Celestia's Messenger without the script by the fourth take. Once again, Sweetie Belle was ever so grateful that it was down to a vote and not her singular decision, because Sunny Daze looked remarkably disappointed when Silver Spoon barely won out for the role of Mayor Marigold.

When Sweetie Belle looked ahead at the next scene, she decided that Silver Spoon was probably for the best anyways. Despite Sunny Daze's claim to the contrary, chemistry was important in acting.

***

*The curtain raises, revealing the exterior of the flower shop once again. From the left side of the stage, Mayor Marigold and Princess Celestia's Messenger emerge on stage.*


"Yes, yes, here we are! The pride and joy of Founder's Green!" Mayor Marigold laughed with a false cheeriness that she had used many times at town hall meetings.

"Founder's Greenery," read the messenger. "It's... a flower shop?"

"A flower shop? Oh, no, no!" the mayor chuckled as she trotted to the door, knocking on it several times with her hoof. "I would bet that this is the single greatest flower shop in like, all of Equestria!" She reached over to row of flower bouquets beneath the window to the right of the door, and snatched one. "Here, give this a smell. Is it not divine?" Mayor Marigold gave the messenger very little choice in the matter as she stuffed the flora in her muzzle.

The messenger rubbed her muzzle with her hoof. "That's er... that's nice."

"Wonderful!" Mayor Marigold exclaimed. As the door opened behind her, she quickly tossed the bouquet on the ground towards the others.

"Mari!" cried Gardenia from the doorway, Harmony standing by her side. "To what do I owe the pleasure?"

Mayor Marigold grappled Princess Celestia's Messenger, and thrust her towards a surprised Gardenia. "Whom, actually. You owe it to this mare right here. Harmony, could you give her the royal tour while I explain the situation to your mother?" She asked the bewildered youth. "That won't be an issue will it, ma'am?"

"I uh - what?" the confused messenger stammered.

"Fantastic! Off you two go!" The mayor called out as Gardenia shoved both the messenger and Harmony back into the store, slamming the door shut behind them.

"What in Equestria is going on, Mari?" A shocked Gardenia asked.

"We've got trouble, Gardenia," Mayor Marigold explained solemnly. "And it's everything to do with Equestria."

"I don't understand. Who is that mare back there?" Gardenia scratched her head.

"She's a messenger from Princesses Celestia and Luna, the rulers of Equestria."

"I knew I heard that name somewhere before! What do they want?"

"Well, apparently," Mayor Marigold cleared her throat. "They don't believe that we are being friendly and respectful to the other races of ponies."

"WHAT?" Gardenia looked genuinely shocked.

The mayor shook her head. "I know, right? I said the exact same thing."

"We've always treated everypony with respect and digni—" Gardenia stopped short as she looked to the window of her store. "What happened with these flowers? Why is this bouquet thrown about on the ground?"

Mayor Marigold shuffled uncomfortably. "Oh, uh... That, that messenger—"

"Figures. Pegasus brutes," Gardenia said as she set the bouquet back in place. "So why is she even here?"

"Well, the princesses decreed that ponies of different races in Founder's Green must work together, to 'learn to appreciate each other' or some nonsense like that," Mayor Marigold explained.

"And?"

"And... Baron Brilliance insists that all of the unicorn work in Founder's Green requires magic to do. And Captain Cumulus insists that all of the pegasus work requires flight."

"You can't be saying what I think you're saying..." Gardenia's eyes widened.

"I'm sorry!"

"Are you suggesting that I'm going to have a snooty unicorn and a barbaric pegasus working on delicate flowers in my shop? Why would you send them here?"

Mayor Marigold scrambled to explain to her increasingly angry friend. "Now look, Gardenia — we're friends! You know I would never send ponies like... like those to come work in your sacred den of flora if I didn't have a choice! My only other alternative would be to have them work on the farms and orchards in town. Now, think about that!"

"Oh dear," Gardenia covered her mouth with her hoof in shock. "Unicorns and pegasi working on our food supplies? Surely, we would all starve!"

"Or be poisoned. You never know with unicorn magic," Mayor Marigold added.

"Indeed," Gardenia nodded solemnly. "I guess I can make that sacrifice then. I'll have them work with Harmony. I've been meaning to take a break anyways."

"Thank you! Thank you so much!" Mayor Marigold snatched her friend and squeezed her in a tight hug.

Gardenia coughed several times, sucking in as much oxygen as she could. Once she was released, she breathed the question "Okay then... when are they supposed to be coming?"

Mayor Marigold whipped out a small notepad. "It says that they are to start in three days time. And their names are... Star Bright and Drift Monsoon."

***

Cheerilee's reaction to Sweetie Belle's casting choices were much less negative than Sweetie Belle had feared. Rather than focus on the fact that there were two females playing Star Bright and Drift Monsoon, she simply applauded Sweetie Belle for taking on another role within the play. Sweetie Belle had to ask again, just to be sure.

"So, it's not weird or strange or anything that Scootaloo and I are going to be... in love?" the filly asked with trepidation. "I mean, acting like we're in love?"

"If you are happy with the casting choices, Sweetie Belle," Cheerilee replied plainly. "Then I am happy with the casting choices."

All told, it was a very successful first day for the play. Almost all of the roles had been cast, and everypony was having so much fun that they had to be reminded by Cheerilee to stop and eat their lunches. From what Sweetie Belle could see of the backdrops, they were coming across quite nicely, and the flower shop especially was almost exactly how Sweetie Belle had pictured it.

At the end of the day, Sweetie Belle's throat was sore, and Sweetie Belle had barely done any acting as Star Bright yet. Being a director for more than three ponies was hard work, and Sweetie Belle suspected this was just the beginning. Still, it would be worth it. Not only to have a successful play under her belt, but also to finally confess to Scootaloo how she really felt. Sweetie Belle loved how Scootaloo had played Drift so far. Arguing with Captain Cumulus about being sent on a lame peacekeeping mission to work at a flower shop, and the genuine sensitivity about her poor flying ability being the deciding factor. Of course, that wouldn't matter. Star Bright would see Drift Monsoon for the wonderful pony he — or she — was, even if those small, adorable wings couldn't quite—.

"Alright, everypony!" Cheerilee called from the front of the classroom, snapping Sweetie Belle from yet another Scootaloo induced trance. "Tomorrow morning, I want everypony to meet in the auditorium for homeroom, alright?" Dozens of cries of affirmation returned her answer.

"With that, everypony have a great night. You all did a wonderful, wonderful job today!"

There was a rush of colts and fillies that sailed past Sweetie Belle as they dashed to the exit of the classroom. In the hallway, Sweetie Belle meandered at a slow pace, stopping at the water fountain to get a much needed drink. Satisfied, she continued to the double doors when suddenly —

"Sweetie Belle?"

The unicorn turned around, and witnessed Scootaloo jogging towards her from the classroom.

"Hey, Scootaloo! What's up?"

The pegasus stopped in front of Sweetie Belle, taking a moment to catch her breath from the short sprint. "Just wanted to talk. So, how about that today?"

"That what?" Sweetie Belle tilted her head.

"You know..." Scootaloo laughed. "You and me, getting cast as Drift and Star."

"Oh yeah, that! Yeah... that's really... really something."

"I actually wanted to talk to you about it."

"Really?" Sweetie Belle's voice came dangerously close to cracking.

"Yeah... about the kiss."

Sweetie Belle had to remind herself to breathe. Here she was, talking to her crush about their inevitable kiss. And the best part was that it was Scootaloo that brought it up! Sweetie Belle started to quiver.

"Yeah... what about it?"

Scootaloo's face was quickly becoming coated in red again.

"I was just thinking that maybe - maybe we could..."

"Yeah?" Sweetie Belle answered excitedly.

"And this is just like... you don't have to..."

"Uh-huh?" Sweetie Belle's could feel her own face heating up.

"Because I know that the - the k-kiss is like.."

Sweetie Belle could hardly contain herself, and just nodded her head quickly.

"I was thinking that maybe we could—"

"Practice?" Sweetie Belle blurted out, her voice cracking at last.

"What?" Scootaloo exclaimed, her face positively doused in crimson.

"...Prac-tice....?" Sweetie Belle repeated again, concentrating on trying to read Scootaloo's reaction.

"Oh, well," Scootaloo scratched behind her head. "I was actually - I was actually going to suggest that we don't."

"Don't? Don't what?" Sweetie Belle fired rapidly.

"That we don't, you know... kiss."

Though Scootaloo looked as though her face was on fire, Sweetie Belle felt as though someone had thrown her into a vat of icy water.

"I um... I don't understand," Sweetie Belle said, her voice's excitement all but drained.

"It's not that I think you're gross or lame or ugly or anything like that, okay? Because you're totally not!"

"Oh... okay," Sweetie Belle mumbled.

"It's just that," Scootaloo stammered. "Well, you saw the reaction in there with even just the thought of two fillies kissing, right?"

"Mhm."

"I just don't want people to ignore your awesome direction and acting and stuff to focus on a silly kiss, you know? Like Rarity's costumes — it wouldn't be fair to you!"

"Yeah... unfair."

"Besides, it is just a silly kiss, remember?"

"Right," Sweetie Belle grumbled again, fighting with all of her might to keep her eyes from tearing up.

"Are..." Scootaloo asked, her face returning to it's normal color. "Are you alright, Sweetie Belle?"

"Yup," Sweetie Belle answered blankly. "Just tired. It's been a long day."

"I hear that!" Scootaloo laughed in agreement. "Did you maybe want to do some more rehearsal later tonight, maybe after dinner? Apple Bloom and I were thinking about it."

"No thanks," Sweetie Belle answered glumly. "I think I'm just going to get some sleep."

Scootaloo nodded her head. "That's probably not a bad idea. Get some rest, alright?"

Sweetie Belle nodded in return.

"Well, see you tomorrow, Sweetie!" Scootaloo ran towards the doors, waving behind her. Sweetie Belle waved back at her.

The doors closed with Scootaloo on the other side, and Sweetie Belle finally let loose and began to cry. It was the strangest thing, because they weren't exactly tears of sadness. Sure, she was disappointed that she and Scootaloo were probably never ever going to share a passionate kiss. However, it was the reasons Scootaloo presented that further strengthened the resolve of Sweetie Belle's affections.

Scootaloo didn't want Sweetie Belle's play to go from a work of art to a simple showcase of two fillies kissing — just like the costumes from A Tale of Three Fillies, that sort of thing had the potential to distract the audience from everything else that Sweetie Belle had worked hard to accomplish in the play. And then, she and Apple Bloom were going to do some extra rehearsal this evening, all to make her play even better. On top of that, she even took on a role that she knew could be potentially humiliating just for the sake of "making the play a success." How could somepony be so wonderful? She did all of that for her, and Sweetie Belle loved Scootaloo for it so, so, so much!

If only Sweetie Belle could show it properly.

Author's Note:

I am so sorry it took so long to get this one up and running. I had an enormously difficult time outlining the "story within a story" piece that I wanted to do, but I think it came out alright.

I loved making Gardenia and Mayor Marigold ignorant of their ignorance. So much fun!

I'd love to hear what you all thought of this - did the "story within a story" method reveal the plot to the play fairly well?