• Published 1st Jan 2015
  • 1,936 Views, 72 Comments

Crimson Mare - Sphinx_Herald



After years of self exile, Nova Hearthfire decides that it's time to pay off a few debts. Though it involves going back to Equestria

  • ...
9
 72
 1,936

Nightmares

Nova opens her eyes slowly. The hallway is dark, the only light coming from a few torches on the walls. Iron bars are built into the walls on either side giving her an oddly comforting feeling. She can hear whispers and screams coming from the cells. Looking behind her, a staircase leads upward toward a sturdy looking door, light shines through the seams between the door and it’s frame.

Turning back, she is greeted with the same darkness from before. Actually, it is even darker if anything, the torches seem to have faded a little in the few seconds she turned her back. Sighing she decides to head down the hall, not wanting to know what’s making the light from upstairs.

As she goes further down into what is becoming more apparent as a dungeon the air begins to grow dry and hot. The screams from the prisoners grow louder and more aggressive.

“We’re all going to die!”

“Let me out, I don’t want to die in this place. I have a family, kids. Please don’t let me die!”

“Why did this happen to me?!” they shout, and more of the sort. Nova eventually decides to try and ignore them, to a very little degree of success. She folds her ears back in a mix of annoyance and anger, all the while she keeps telling herself, I’m not a monster.

Further down the screams and shouts are punctuated by coughs and the occasional sound of someone vomiting. A cloud of smoke forms on the ceiling of the hallway and even pours into the cells. Furthermore, the shouts are now directed fully at her.

“Why are we in these cells? You should be locked in here, not us!”

“Just kill us, stop tormenting us. Just end us!”

“How could you do this? What kind of demon are you?” The voice is so familiar.

She stops abruptly and turns to the cell to voice came from. There is nothing but darkness, but that doesn’t stop her from shouting back. “Shut up! Shut up already! I’m didn’t do any of this, and I never will!”

A light green unicorn steps out of the darkness, burns and scars cover the parts of her face that can be seen. Her horn is cracked and her mane is fully burnt away. But, Nova still recognizes the pony, her childhood friend, the friend she killed, Aura. “Didn’t do any of this?” the unicorn questions. “How could you have forgotten about me?”

Nova jumps back and closes her eyes hoping when they open again her ‘friend’ will be gone. Opening them again, she meets the gaze from Aura, an accusing glare from the eye she still has left.

Nova backs away and continues down the hall, now avoiding the cells as they all have faces. Faceless voices are so much nicer, she thinks glancing at another cell to her left, a stallion glares back. It’s when there’s a face that you can remember it.

Further down, is nothing. Silence, completely no sounds save for that of her hooves clopping against the stone floor. The smoke here is thicker than before, coming down to the floor. The smoke doesn’t suffocate her, though that is little relief given the smoke smells like burning flesh. And then a realization dawns on her, she can recognize the smell of burning bodies, and that the smell only makes her angry.

After minutes of silent walking she comes to a final door. This one is different from all the others, instead of iron bars it is made of a massive sheet of steel, magic wards can be seen shining on the door. A vicious red glow comes from the seams between the door and the frame, much like the door upstairs, but even the door itself glows red. The sounds of a raging fire can be heard coming from the other side, the door doing little to muffle it.

I’m impressed, says the voice. It comes from the other side of the door.

“Go buck yourself, asshole!” Nova shouts at the door.

You actually know them… that’s a lot of faces to remember… a lot of blood on your hooves.

“Yeah, well I can’t take all the credit. I’m not the real monster after all.”

The voice laughs, with each laugh the volume of the fire grows louder. We have yet to see about that, but it looks like you forgot one very important face. Wonder who is behind the door?

Nova glares at the door. Who could I have forgotten? She places a hoof on the door, the heat shoots up through her forelegs and into her shoulder. With a little push the door opens and a torrent of flame comes flooding out. She hears one thing before the flames engulf her, nothing more than a whisper, but is still heard painfully clear.

“I’m not a monster.”


Nova screams as reality reasserts itself, the darkness of her cave already reminding her far too much of the nightmare. She coughs a few times, the scent of smoke still lingering in the air. After a few more fits of coughing she calms down a little, at least enough to catch her breath. Images of the tunnel come back every time she looks at the walls of her cave. Every so often she thinks she hears a voice begging for mercy or cursing her name.

After a few minutes she lets out a frustrated scream and flies out of the cave, not wanting to see the image of her old friend. She slams into the wall as she tries to leave, blinking a few times to regain her vision and starts running out not bothering to get into the air again. Once outside she slumps down against a tree in the dark of night. However, the images still haunt her while outside.

She tries find something to focus on, she finds the moon in the sky. A feeling of tired despair washes through her when she see that it still has a third of the way to go on it’s journey across the sky. How long has it been since I've had a good night of sleep?

Not my problem.

It is your problem if you don’t want me to die from exhaustion, she grumpily thinks to the voice.

“Who,” comes a cry from nearby.

Nova jumps to her hooves and starts frantically looking around. It take her a looks and a couple of minutes of staring at a branch to eventually see the owl sitting on it. She sits back down to rub her eyes with her foreleg. “Who,” cries the owl again.

“Me,” Nova says with a little chuckle. Scared of owls now… perfect.

The owl flaps it’s wings and starts preening. It stops for a moment and looks at her again. “Who, who!”

Nova sighs and leans back against the tree. She looks at her own wings, some of her feathers are bent or dirty. Haven’t been looking after myself too well have I? Pulling her legs closer to her she looks up at the night sky again. Great paths of light, made of star and nebulas, streak the sky, painting it shades of black and purple. The night sure has been more beautiful since Luna-- “Why?” Her thoughts are cut off by the single word. She looks up at the owl, which stares back at her with it’s unblinking eyes.

“What did you say?”

“Why?” The owl repeats itself. Nova flicks her ears back as though it’s the worst word she ever heard, but the cry still brings back the memories of the prisoners begging for their lives. She tries to shake it out of her head, but it doesn’t leave. Finding a rock on the ground she grabs it and throws it at the owl, it completely misses but it still scares the owl away.

With a frustrated groan she gets off the ground and starts walking toward the nearby creek. She neary trips several times while walking there, but she manages to find her way there. Her reflection stares back at her as she sits at the water’s edge putting one of her hindlegs into the water. Dark bags hang under her eyes making it look like she hasn’t slept in weeks, which isn’t too far from the truth. Her mane is a tangle mess, more so than usual, in a few spots her mane clings face from the sweat. Mess is a bit of an understatement.

Taking a few deep breaths she rolls into the water. The cold water shocks her nerves giving her a quick jolt of awareness. The coolness of the water leaves her feeling refreshed. Only when her lungs start demanding air does she surface taking a deep breath. She climbs back on the edge where she had been sitting and looks back down at the running water. The reflection that stares back looks no better than before, the dark bags are still there, and her mane clings to her face and neck, but at least she feels better.

She closes her eyes letting the coolness of the autumn night and the water seep into her. A shiver runs down her body, hate the cold, hate fire, I really should have waited till summer before coming. No, I have to do this. She opens her eyes and suddenly the night become much colder. Instead of her reflection the image of a broken and mangled Aura glares back at her. Nova simply stares back for what feels like hours. Eventually Nova closes her eyes again and slam her hoof into the creek dispersing the image.

“I’m sorry! I’m so sorry! I never meant to hurt you, I didn’t mean for any of that to happen to you. You never deserved any of this… you were only trying to be nice…” She breaks down into tears.

Nova stands fixed in one spot trying to figure out what happened to the town. Pumpkins line the street. Pumpkin shaped lights hang from cords spanning from one roof to another. Spider webs hang on walls, in the corners of the windows, and from the branches of trees. She takes a few steps forward and stares down at one of the pumpkins, a rough face carved into it’s side. Her mind slowly starts trying to put the pieces together. What’s all this?

Idiot.

“Hey, I haven’t--” she stops herself when she realizes she’s talking out loud. I haven’t had a good night’s sleep in a week. Give me a break. She goes back to focusing on the pumpkin. Uh… harvest?

No.

Oh, Nightmare Night, geez I’m stupid.

Then a voice brings her out of her thoughts. “Nova?” The mare in question blinks a few times then turns to her right and it doesn’t take her a second to recognize Twilight. One of her eyebrows are raised and there is a tone of concern in her voice.

“Yeah?” The word comes out slurred slightly.

“Are you okay? I called your name twice and you didn’t react, you just stared at that pumpkin.”

Nova slowly blinks at her. Then she yawns and stretches her back resulting in a few snaps. “Yeah, I’m fine. I just haven’t been sleeping well for the past… few days.”

“Looks like it too,” Twilight says pointing at the bags under Nova’s eyes.

“I don’t look so good, do I?”

“Looks like you might fall over at any moment,” Twilight says more concern creeping into her voice. “I think you should try to get some sleep.”

Nova shakes her head partly to to show she disagrees and partly to clear her head. “I’m one of those ponies who can’t sleep during the day no matter how hard I try. Also, I might very well pass out any moment… though I might actually get some sleep if that happens.” She looks back at Twilight and notices the saddlebags on her sides. “Going somewhere?”

“Huh?”

Nova blinks a few times then shakes her head again. “Sorry, I shouldn’t pry.”

“Oh, it’s not that, it was just a little hard to understand you. I’m going off to Rarity’s, she said she’d have my Nightmare Night costume ready. Do you have any plans for tonight?”

“No,” she quickly replies. I would like to go trick-or-treating though.

Good news, you’re already wearing a disguise.

It’s not a disguise… I’m just not telling them everything… or anything.

If it’s wasn’t, everyone would be running from you.

“Shut up,” she hisses. She immediately covers her mouth with a hoof realizing she had said it out loud to a princess. Twilight is standing back a bit staring at her with shock. Nova sighs and scratches the back of her head. “Sorry, just a bad memory… a bully I used to know.”

“Okay... Are you sure you’re alright?”

“Yeah, I’m fine… my mind tends to wander when I’m--” her sentence trails off into another yawn and a stretch. “Yeah…”

Twilight raises an eyebrow at her, but doesn’t question it. Instead she tries a different approach. “Would you want to come with me? Maybe Rarity might have something that can help.”

“Sure, don’t have much to do anyways,” Nova replies with a shrug. With that they start towards the Boutique.

“Any idea why you can’t sleep?” Twilight asks

I have more than just an idea… “Been having nightmares lately,” Nova says hoping to pass the subject quickly.

“Nightmares? Of what?”

“I can’t remember, they’re always blurry and dark,” Nova says. A fresh wave of those memories flash through her mind. “General stuff, talking trees, mammoths, weird hairless apes…”

“Hm… I think I might know one way to help, but you’ll have to stay up for quite a while.”

“I probably wasn’t going to sleep anyways.” They walk the rest of the way in silence.

“You look wonderful, dear,” Rarity says to Twilight. They are standing in one of Rarity’s showrooms while Twilight is wearing her new costume. A dark purple, almost black dress wraps around her body, the edges are worn and ragged or, at least, made to look that way. A pointed hat, the same color as the dress, tops her head hiding her horn beneath. The brim of the hat is as ragged as the edges of the dress.

Nova simply looks ahead lost somewhere between the world of dreams and the world of the living. Her mind keeps going back to the image of her broken friend in the prison cell. I really am a mess, aren’t I? And here I thought returning would be a little easier than this. She drifts back to what Aura had said in the nightmare. “How could you have forgotten me?” I haven’t… and I never want to.

“Now for you!” Rarity exclaims snapping Nova out of her stupor. Twilight is gone, probably back to the changing room to take the witch’s costume off.

“Wha?” is all Nova manages.

“Well, we have to get you cleaned up before I try to find you a costume.”

Nova lets out an agitated sigh. “I know, I look horrible, I hav-- Wait, what was that about a costume?”

“Well, that’s why you’re here, correct? To get a costume for Nightmare Night?”

“Actually…” Why am I here again… Come on think, Nova! You’re here because you… uh. She narrows her eyes at nothing in particular. I think I’m here for help, but with what? Debts? I’m not that stupid even when I’m tired. Job? Think I already have one. Food? Not hungry. Well, a little hungry, but not enough to ask someone for food. Right, it was something about… gone again.

“Nova, are you okay?” Once again Rarity’s voice brings her back to reality, although slowly.

“Yeah, I’m fine, I just… What were we talking about?”

“About getting you a costume.”

Nova quickly shakes her head trying to jumble her thoughts apart from each other. But, it does little more than make her light-headed. She press a forehoof against her head, trying to dull the throbbing. “I need to step out for a moment,” she says heading for the door.

Rarity silently watches her leaves and lets out a shiver once the door closes. “Where is she going?” Twilight asks from behind her. She is now carrying a bag in her magical grasp.

“I think she needs some fresh air, thankfully. I don’t wish to sound rude, but there is simply something about her I do not like. Although it might have something to do with when we first met…”

“I know what you mean,” Twilight says. “I get that feeling around her too, I’m just not sure what it is though. The only way I can describe it is that she just feels like she’s bad news.”

“She certainly seems a little off.”

“Oh right, that’s one of the reason I brought her. She says she’s been having trouble sleeping. She’s been having nightmares and hasn’t been able to have a good night of sleep in a week. I was wondering if you knew of anything that could help.”

Rarity blinks a few times but quickly shakes her head. “I’m afraid I don’t. Maybe if you were to ask Zecora or Luna, they would have something.”

“I was planning on asking them tonight.” The bell over the door rings signaling the arrival of another costumer. “Well, thanks for the help. I should get going, still have a bit to do before tonight.”

“Alright then,” Rarity says. She gives her friend a smile. “Good luck helping her.”

Twilight nods and heads out the door, walking past a pink earth pony. Outside she finds Nova sitting under a tree looking up at the sky. She follows the gaze of the pegasus trying to see what she’s focusing on. A few clouds dot the sky, a few pegasi are playing on a cloud that she seems to be looking at.

Twilight ignores the uneasy feeling she has and starts walking toward her. As Twilight gets closer to Nova she thinks she hears Nova say something like ‘I wonder what it’s like.’ She walks right up next to Nova without so much as a reaction. “Are you okay?” Twilight asks concern clear in her voice.

Nova blinks a few times and her eyes seem to refocus. “Huh? Oh, uh, I’m fine…”

“Right, I have a few things to set up at the library if you want to help.”

“No thanks, I think I should just go home and try to get some rest.” She gets off the ground, staggers a bit but manages to stay up.

“Oh, well I hope you have a nice sleep. If you still can’t sleep how about you come see me tonight?”

“Sure,” she replies as she walks away not bothering to look back.


Nova walks down a hall. All is silent save for the clopping of her hooves against the hardwood floor. She pauses for moment and looks around. A picture of an aged stallion hangs on the dull orange wall, his coat is an orange that almost matches the wall and his wavy grey mane drop down the back of his neck and stops just before the shoulder.

Whispering further down the hall catches her attention. Turning toward the sound she finds a door in her way. She wastes no time and pushes it open with a quick shove. The door gives way to a dark room, brightly colored streamers hang from the ceiling and walls. A few balloons bounce lightly along the floor.

“Surprise!” someone shouts from inside the room. Nova jumps back as the lights flash on and ponies spring out from their hiding spots. A familiar light green unicorn come trotting out of the group of ponies and comes up to Nova. “Happy birthday!”

Nova relaxes at her friend’s touch. She looks back into the room, the same orange stallion as in the picture is standing among the group. Taking a step into the room she spots a table at the far end against the wall that holds a birthday cake, eight lit candles top the cake. “Thanks Aura,” Nova says smiling at her friend. She looks back at the group. “You really didn’t have to do this, I was kinda hoping for a quiet evening.”

“But, that’s so boring!” Aura exclaims walking toward the table. “I want to see you smile, not have you mope about all day.”

“The real surprise is that the street rat has a home,” someone whispers in the group. A wave of snickers passes through the room.

Nova ignores it. “I wouldn’t have been moping. I probably would have slept.”

“In a cardboard box somewhere,” says someone, another wave of giggles and snickers.

Nova shoots a quick glare at the group trying to find the offender. “Well, that’s no fun either,” Aura says stopping in front of the cake. “Now, make a wish and blow out the candles.”

“Probably going to wish that her mother didn’t abandon her,” the pony whispers.

Nova whips her head around and glares into the group again, no ponies stand out. With a growl she turns back to the cake and closes her eyes. She takes a few deep breaths to calm herself and nearly panics at the smell of smoke. It’s only the candles, she tells herself. I wish… I wish for no more fires. Opening her eyes she blows out the candles.

That’s cute.

A something snaps behind her followed by the crackle of fire. Slowly she turns around, dreading what has happened. Flames climb the walls catching on the streamer and turning it ash almost instantly. The balloons are gone having popped from the heat. A pile of bodies lie where the group stood. Her eyes go down to the floor next to her, the flaming broken body of a unicorn lies at her hooves.

The birthday mare always gets her wish.

“I-I didn’t wish for this!” she screams at the fire, but it only laughs back. A memory burns its way to the front of her mind.

-She’s standing in a classroom, the students are laughing and she is crying. A then she screams at the, “I wish you would just die!” And then, nothing-

I see you remembered this is exactly what you wished for.


She jolts awake. The air in her cave is warm and dry. The sun is starting to reach the horizon painting the sky outside a fiery orange. Nova quickly looks away. “I didn’t mean for any of this…”

Nova walks down the street toward the library, lacking the energy for anything else. Even with the sun hidden behind the horizon ponies walk through the streets. Stalls of games are set up near the buildings. A stage stands in the town center with a band preparing their instruments. All-in-all Ponyville seems more alive than it did that day.

A group of laughing foals run by her the last one being dressed as a monster. They each carry a bag to carry their candy in. Looks like fun, she idly thinks.

A few minutes later she is standing in front of the large oak tree again. With the dark sky and the dying leaves the looks like it belongs in the front yard of a haunted mansion. Wonder if anyone is in there.... wonder if anyone is alive in there… Can’t really imagine a tree being a very good home. Well, neither is a cave to anything asides from a bear, wolves, manticores probably. Guess that doesn’t place me much higher than them. Wonderful now I’m comparing myself with a bear... not the worst--

“Hello?” She blinks her eyes a few times as she comes out of her thoughts. “You okay?”

“Maybe we should go get some help…” says someone else. The voice is gentle and quiet, a familiar voice. She turns to two pegasi standing next to her. One she recognizes as Fluttershy, though it takes her a moment to realize it because of her bat costume. The other pegasus, a sky blue pegasus with a rainbow mane, is dressed as a griffon.

“Uh… hello?”

Fluttershy yelps and hides behind the other one whom simply stands there. “Hey, are you okay? You’ve been standing there for like three minutes.”

“I’m fine,” she grumbles. She walks up to the door and gives it a quick knock. Really got to get this issue solved or I might get stuck staring at a tree for an entire bucking day. A pink aura surrounds the door and it swings open, Twilight is once again dressed in her witch costume.

“Hey there girls.” Her eyes settle on Nova. “Oh, hey Nova. How was your rest?”

“Same as every other this past week.”

“Oh…”

“Hey Twi, so this is the Nova I’ve been hearing about?” the rainbow-maned one asks. Nova lets out a frustrated groan. Word certainly does spread fast in this town, don’t it?

“Guess I must be. I’m Nova Hearthfire, it’s a pleasure to meet you.” Nova gives a little bow, but stands up as she starts to lose balance.

“Yeah cool, I’m Rainbow Dash, best young flier in all of Equestria, Element of Loyalty, maybe you’ve heard of me.”

Not in the slightest… She nods but turns back to Twilight. “You said you had an idea?”

“Oh, yeah, but I don’t think they’re here quite yet.”

“Oh…” Well, buck you too! I really hope princesses can’t read minds.

“But, you can hang out with us for a while.”

“No thanks, no offence and all. I just don’t think I’ll be much fun to be around. But, I’ll be at the square watching the shows if you happen to find whoever you’re waiting for.”

“Alright then, see you later,” Twilight says waving to Nova as she stumbles out the door. Once the door closes Rainbow raises an eyebrow at her.

“What was that about?” she asks.

“She says she’s been having trouble sleeping lately. I figured we’d talk to Luna after.”

“And she wants you to find her?”

“I don’t think she’s in the mood to do much of anything. I just really hope it’s not like the time we all had nightmares.”

Fluttershy gasps and talks a step back. “Do you think the Nightmare forces are back, but after her?”

“No, I doubt it. I think she’s just having bad dreams. But, there something about her that’s not right.”

The festivities have well and truly begun once she reaches the stage again. With the moon hanging over the town and all the ponies still running around Nova could swear she would have mistaken it for a thestral city. The square in front of the stage is filled with foals and adults, all waiting for the show to begin. Nova picks an out-of-the-way spot near one of the restaurants. She knows she won’t hear much over the sound of the sounds of the crowd.

A yellow mare is standing on the stage, a violin cradled in her forehooves. Nova thinks about getting closer to listen, but doesn’t move prefering to stay away from crowds.

A crack of thunder booms through the air followed by screams. Looking over Nova watches as some lighting arches through the dark clouds overhead. A few shadows fly across the clouds.

Twilight comes trotting into the town square, her back to the lighting and dark figures. She looks around the square, even flying a few hooves in the air to see into the crowd. Eventually she spots Nova and flies over to her.

“Hey,” Nova says as Twilight’s hooves touch the ground. “Solve the nightmare issue yet?”

“Well, I think I know somepony who can help. She arrived not too long ago.”

Nova gets back onto her hooves with a groan. “Alright then. I hope she can help…”

Twilight raises an eyebrow at her. “You can rest here if you want, I’m sure she wouldn’t mind coming here.”

“Bah, I’m fine with walking. Beside, I’m already up, it’ll take too much effort to lie down again.”

Twilight chuckles a little and starts leading the way out of the square toward a more forested area. Nova sidesteps a group of foals as they run by screaming in delighted terror. Looking up she spots a few more of the figures flying around. “So, you don’t come from Equestria?” Twilight asks after a moment.

“Hm?” Nova looks back at the alicorn who had paused for a moment to let Nova catch up. “Uh… kinda… I guess. I left Equestria a few years ago, first time back since.”

“Really? Where did you go?”

“Nowhere in particular.”

Another crack of thunder followed by screams further ahead. Three fillies come bolting out of a nearby bush and run past them. Before Nova has time to question it Twilight walks through the same bush the fillies ran through. Nova follows behind.

They come to a clearing where a same circular platform stands in the middle. Nova spots a few ponies moving between the trees. They have dark coats and bat-like wings. “So… where’s your--”

Lightning arches overhead and a taller pony crashes down from the sky. She has a jet black coat with a flowing mane of purple essence that resemble the night sky. She stands at least a head taller than Nova. Nova rears back with a scream from the midnight alicorn. She falls down onto her back. The alicorn starts laughing as Nova flails to get up.

“I don’t think you’re going to get rid of her nightmares that way.” Twilight says. Purple energy surrounds the alicorn hiding her from sight, but does nothing to cover the laughing.

“Sorry, I couldn’t resist,” say the alicorn once the sphere of energy dies down. Her coat is now a dark purple, with a spot that’s pitch black where her cutie mark is. Her mane still resembles the night sky, blue with white dots.

Twilight sighs and rolls her eyes. She reaches down and helps Nova up. “Nova, this is Luna.”

Nova stares at the new alicorn for a while. Luna… Luna… who is Luna? Okay, a cutie mark of a moon, mane that looks like night, an alicorn…. Oh shit. She takes a few steps back from Luna. What is a princess doing here? Well, Twilight’s here, but she doesn’t count since she doesn’t know me. Luna was banished when Celestia knew me maybe she doesn’t know.

“It’s a pleasure to meet you, Princess,” Nova says with a bow and nervous smile.

“Luna, this is Nova, my friend that’s been having the problems with nightmares.”

Luna smiles at Nova, still quite content with her prank. Her smile dies when their eyes meet, her eyes narrow at the pegasus. They stand in silence for a few long moments before Luna speaks again. “So, you’re the one who has been having the dreams of fire and death.”

Yeah, nope, not doing this. Can’t deal with a princess yet! Nova backs up again and spreads her wings. “Uh… I honestly think I don’t rate high enough for the help from a goddess.”

“I believe it is the matter of a princess when your dreams involve the fall of Canterlot,” Luna says.

“Wait, what?!” Twilight exclaims taken aback by the statement.

Yeah, buck this. Nova bows to her again. “Sorry, but I have to go, I have… a thing that I have to do.” Without waiting for a reply she shoots straight into the air. Once she’s above the trees she bolts toward the town.

Shit! She saw my nightmares! Well, now I can’t lay low. And, this is your fault!

As I said, not my fault.

Whatever! I can’t waste anymore time. I have to start getting rid of these debts.

Author's Note:

Sorry the updates are so few and far in between. I'm just having a few issues getting some writing in with school and such. Anyways, hope you enjoyed. Until next time,
-Sphinx