• Published 1st Jan 2015
  • 1,943 Views, 72 Comments

Crimson Mare - Sphinx_Herald



After years of self exile, Nova Hearthfire decides that it's time to pay off a few debts. Though it involves going back to Equestria

  • ...
9
 72
 1,943

Job Hunt

Nova lets out a yawn, crosses her forelegs on the desk and lays her head on them. She looks up at the teacher at the front of the class talking about something or other. She picks up the words ‘Crystal Empire’ and ‘Sombra’, most likely talking about history. She yawns again and closes her eyes, trying to keep her ears focused on the teacher. She groans when she feels something poke her in the side. A light green unicorn smiles at her from the desk beside her.

“Not going to fall asleep, are you?” she asks.

“Don’t worry, Aura; I’m just a little tired.”

“I figured you’d be a little more excited than this, it is your birthday after all.”

“Yes, every filly’s dream is to be in school on their birthday,” Nova grumbles.

“You got me there, but still you should smile more, I like your smile.”

“Yeah, you’re right as usual. It’s just that… nevermind.”

“Then, where’s the smile?”

“When this class is done, kinda hard to be happy when--”

“Is there anything you two want to share with the class?” The two fillies look up at their teacher, they offer her a sheepish smile. The teacher gives them a stern glare, but walks back to the front of the class. Nova lets out a sigh and lays her head on the desk again. She feels another poke at her side. She looks over at her friend.

Aura holds out a hoof with a pendant wrapped around it. Nova looks down at the small blue rock in the middle. “I know this isn’t the right time, but I really want to see you smile on your birthday. Birthdays are supposed to be happy. It’s a mood necklace, it’ll let you know when you’re being too grumpy.”

Nova smiles at her. “Guess I could use something like that.” She reaches out to grab the necklace. As her hoof gets closer the stone in the middle begins to turn red. By the time her hoof is an inch the stone is a deep red. She grabs the necklace and examines it in her hooves. A crack shoots across the red stone, she frowns and looks at Aura. She jumps back in horror as flames race up Aura’s foreleg.

A blood curdling scream rips through the air. Aura jumps up from the desk and waves her hoof around trying to put out the flames. The flames catch on a nearby curtain and lights into a blaze in moments. All the while the fire continues up Arua’s leg and onto her back.

Nova rolls onto her stomach and lifts herself off the ground. Her eyes go wide as fires burn where her hooves touch the ground. She jumps back from the flames landing a few hooves away, more fire springs up from where she lands. Soon the room is filled with fire.

Screams penetrate through the roar of the fire. Nova crawls under a burning desk and rolls into a ball. She yelps as a body falls in front of her. She closes her eyes and puts hooves over her ears in a fruitless attempt to block out the pain. The screams warp into a terrifying impression of laughter and cheering and the flames begin to sing.

“Happy birthday to you,

Happy birthday to you.”


Nova jolts awake in a cold sweat. She puts her hoof over her chest in an attempt to calm herself, but that plan goes up in flames as her ears pick up the all-too-familiar crackling of fire. The cave is ablaze, fires burn across the ground and up the walls. She jams her eyes shut and curls into a ball.

“No, no, make it all stop!” she shouts. The fire only roars louder in response.

“Please, go away, leave me alone!” The sounds of the flames begin to fade, but she stays curled in a ball. The fires die and the cave is plunged into silence. Tears sting at the corner of her eyes, but she dares not cry. “I’m sorry, Aura. I’m so, so sorry.”

Nova yawns while she duly looks over the noticeboard in the town hall. She slowly looks over the job demands. Another yawn escapes her lips and she rubs the sleep from her eyes. Might as well find something before I pass out. Her eyes drift along the papers looking for something to catch them. Weather team, help needed--

She rips the paper off the board and throws it into a nearby bin. Next, Post office… Carousel Boutique… Animal care giver… With a sigh she walks to the door and spreads her wings. Her wings flap a little trying to loosen the sore muscles instead all she gets is a loud snap. “Mental note to self: rocks aren’t as comfy as they look, make your best attempt at a bed tonight,” she mumbles to herself.

With a flap of her wings she takes to the air. She decides to stay well under the clouds and flies just a few meters above the houses. As she heads for the one furthest out. I really should try and get some rest.

And we know how well that’ll turn out.

I really bucking hate you. She lands on a small path leading out of Ponyville and toward a nearby forest. Lacking the energy to do any flying really she starts slowly walking down the path.

Soon a small building comes into view, the roof of the building is covered with grass and plants. Several birdhouses hang in the trees surrounding the house. Nova trots over the small bridge that spans and creek that runs in front of the house. She stops in front of the house and takes a quick look around, she spots a couple of animals running into nearby dens.

Nice place. She gives the door a quick knock and idly looks around. The sun still hangs low in the sky, barely poking over the horizon. Right… I woke up a little early… they’re probably not awake yet. The sounds of the creek calms her as she lies down at the base of a nearby tree. Pretty nice here…

She sighs, but it turns to a yawn halfway through. With a quick check she confirms that the door is still closed. I wouldn’t mind working here, this is a nice place, it’s just so relaxing. She yawns again and pulls her forehooves under her head. Her eyelids droop down a little, but she shakes her head and focuses again. Can’t fall asleep, I’ve had enough nightmares for today. Another yawn and her eyes slide down to the creek. But, I guess I can take a cat nap for a few minutes, I do need some rest. Her eyes close and she drifts off to sleep.

Fluttershy flutters around her kitchen as she prepares bowls of food for the many various animals that live in her house. She hums a happy tune as she chops some carrots into a bowl of lettuce and other vegetables. When she’s done she puts the bowl on the floor next to a white rabbit. “Now Angel, I want you to eat everything, not just the carrots like last time.” The rabbit raises an eyebrow at her then reaches into the bowl and pulls out a slice of carrot. He then starts slowly munching on it.

Fluttershy sighs and shakes her head. “I would like to see that bowl empty when I come back in.” She trots over to the door, she looks back at Angel as he takes another carrot out of the bowl. She steps outside and quietly closes the door behind her. With a few flaps of her wings she flies up to the bird feeder. She carefully fills it with seeds. When she turns to check the birdhouses she spots something red lying at the base of the tree.

She quietly makes her way down to, what soon becomes clear is, the sleeping form of a pegasus. She curiously looks down at the mare. “Um… hello?” she asks. Nova lets out a snort, she rolls onto her other side. “Hello? Are you… uh… okay?” Fluttershy asks. When Nova doesn’t answer she inches closer, she pokes Nova on the shoulder then quickly backs up. Nova stirs, but remains asleep. Fluttershy takes a step closer. “Are you hurt?”

Nova opens one of her eyes just a sliver. The first thing she sees is the yellow legs of the mare standing in front of her. Her eyes shoot open and she tries to roll onto her hooves, but she rolls too far and falls into the creek. Fluttershy yelps and jumps back when Nova shoots out of the water straight into the sky. A second later, Nova comes to a rough landing next to her.

“That’s one way to wake up,” Nova mumbles. She looks up at the sun which is almost at it’s peak in the sky. How long was I asleep for?

“Oh, sorry for waking you.”

“I should be the one saying sorry after splashing you. My name is Nova by the way.”

“I’m… Fluttershy,” she practically whispers.

“I, uh, I heard you’re looking for someone to look after your animals.”

“Oh, you’re here for the job?”

“Yeah.” Fluttershy looks back at the spot where Nova was sleeping a minute ago. “I’ve been having some, uh, bad nights lately.”

“Is everything alright?”

“Yeah, I’m fine. I do need to find a job though.”

“Right, well come inside.”

Fluttershy walks over to the door with Nova in close step behind. She opens the door and walks inside, Nova closes the door as she comes in. All the animals look up from their meals, after a moment of pause they all run into their various dens and holes. “That’s unusual, they’re probably just not used to you, don’t worry about it,” Fluttershy says.

Fluttershy walks over to the couch, Nova stands by the door looking at the inside of the cottage. She looks over at the stairs, several animals look down at her from the upper floor. Looks like they know what I am… She turns to leave. “Oh, you’re going to leave? I thought you wanted to help,” Fluttershy says.

“Yeah, sorry. Looks like they don’t like me very much anyways,” Nova says nudging her head toward the stairs. “It’d be a little hard to look after them when they’re running away from me.”

“I’m sure it’s just because they’re not used to you, they’ll warm up to you soon, I’m sure.” She looks over towards the kitchen. “Angel, could you come here please?” A moment later the rabbit pokes his head around the wall. He hops up to Fluttershy. “Angel, this is Nova, say hello.” He simply glances at the red pegasus then runs back into the kitchen. A moment later her comes back with a carrot and gets between Nova and Fluttershy. He points the carrot at Nova as though he’s holding a small sword.

“I get the sense that she doesn’t like me,” Nova says as Angel jabs at her leg with the carrot. She pushes him away with a forehoof, but he throws the carrot at her head landing the shot squarely on her forehead. “Ow.”

“Angel! That’s not very nice. I’m so sorry, he doesn’t usually act like this.”

“It’s fine, seems like they just don’t like me. Well, I should get going if I hope to find something by the end of the day,” Nova says heading back to the door. “Bye, and good luck with finding someone look after that little angel.” She gives her a smile and leaves.

Well then, that didn’t work. Mental note to self, animals still hate me. She spreads her wings and takes to the air. She flies just over the tree tops. She looks back up at the sun now at it’s peak in the sky. Slept for quite a bit of time, didn’t you?

You really like to talk to yourself, don’t you?

Shut up. She flaps her wings a few times to be sure that she’d clear the roofs of the first few houses. She lines herself up with one of the roads to the town square. She goes into a fairly steep descent as she flies over the edge of the square and comes to a rough landing next to the fountain. She looks around at the square is filled with ponies unlike when she was there earlier in the day.

She walks into the town hall again and back to the bulletin board. She quickly looks at the address on the next ad. After a few seconds she walks out the double door. She looks at the street signs around the square, but doesn’t find the street name she’s looking for. She sighs and turns to the nearest pony, a yellowish earth pony with an orange mane and a couple of carrots for a cutie mark. “Uh, hello, sorry to bother you but do you know where the Carousel Boutique is?”

“Oh, it’s just over that way,” she says pointing southward. “It’s shouldn’t be hard to find, just look for the building with the pink roof, blue walls and two pony figures near the top.”

Nova gives her a nod and a smile. “Thank you.” She flaps her wings a few times to hover above the roofs of the surrounding buildings. Even from where she is she can see the pointed roof the pony described. With a few more flaps she soars through the air toward the boutique. Her stomach lets out a growl.

Wonderful, hunger now. She stops at a hover for a second and looks over at the mountains in the distance. Should I go and scavenge something? She looks back at the boutique. I only have two stops, I’ve went longer without food. With that in mind she continues her flight. It takes her only a few more seconds before she lands out front the boutique. She stumbles a little as her hooves hit the ground, but she manages to stop herself from face-planting into the ground.

Saying the the roof was pink and that the walls were blue was a simplistic way of putting it. The roof has a checkerboard design of pink and a lighter pink. The wall has white paint curving off of the window and the six columns around the building. She gives the door a few knocks then stands back and waits.

“Coming!” she hears somepony say from inside. She sees some movement from the window on the door. A blue aura surround the doorknob and the door swings open. “Oh, it’s you.” On the other side of the door stands the white unicorn with the purple mane from yesterday. Once again her coat and mane are brushed to perfection. It looks almost as though her coat itself is shining.

Nova gives a nervous laugh. “Hi, uh, sorry about yesterday, I was just having a really bad… week.”

She studies Nova for a few moments. Eventually she looks away, but scans the horizon. “Well, we did give Discord a second chance. So, I suppose you deserve one as well,” she says with a smile when she looks back at her.

No, no I don’t. I don’t deserve anything of the sort for most of what I’ve done.

“I don’t believe we were properly introduced last time, my name is Rarity.”

“Nova Firehearth, pleasure to meet you,” Nova says holding out a hoof.

Rarity looks at it for a moment, but then takes it in her own and gives it a shake. “I’m guessing you’re not here to yell at me again.”

Nova gives her another nervous laugh. “No, I heard you were looking for help.”

“Oh, where did you hear that?”

“Town hall bulletin board.”

“Ah, those. I completely forgot about those.” She shakes her head. “I’m terribly sorry, but I’m not looking for help anymore. Sapphire Shores had asked for a request, but that’s long gone now.”

Nova takes a deep breath and lets out a long sigh. “Well, thank you for your time anyways.”

“Well, wait one moment, I might be able to find something for you to do.” She brings her hoof to her chin as she thinks. It doesn't take long before her eyes light up and she gasps. “That’s a wonderful idea. I could use a model to show off a couple of my designs. I’m sure I have plenty of dresses that would go fabulously with your coat.”

“No thanks, I would prefer to, uh, lay low for a while. I don’t like crowds too much and becoming a model kinda contradicts that.”

“Oh, well that’s too bad. I don’t think there is anything else in that case. I’m terribly sorry I couldn’t help you more than that.”

“It’s fine, thanks anyways.” She turns to go when her stomach groans again.

“Are you alright, dear? You sound a little hungry. How about you come inside and I give you something to eat?” Rarity asks.

“No thanks, don’t worry about me, I’ll be fine.”

“I must insist. It is the least I can do after you came here for a job and got nothing.”

“It’s not that bad, honestly. You don’t have to.”

“Are you sure? I wouldn’t mind to have someone to talk with over lunch.”

“Yeah, thanks for the offer though.” Nova goes to leave stops when she thinks of something. “Do you know where the post office is?”

“Certainly, it’s in the town square, just opposite to the town hall.”

With a nod Nova flaps her wings and flies into the sky. Moments later she lands just outside a brick building. A sign sits out front with the image of an envelope with wings. She trots into the building and looks around the inside. The walls are painted a faded blue, something similar to an overcast day. A line of chairs sits along one wall leading up to a counter, one other pony sits in the lobby, a cream colored earth-mare with a curly blue and pink mane.

Nova trots up to the pony at the counter, a grey pegasus with blond mane. “Hello,” Nova greets. She takes a steps back when the pegasus looks up at her. One of her eyes is focused on Nova herself but the other is looking somewhere or to the right. Even with her crossed eyes she seems happy and nice.

“Oh, hello,” she says with a warm smile. “How can I help you?”

Nova takes a moment to to compose herself before replying. “Hello, my name’s Nova, I’m looking for a job.”

“Okay, come by tomorrow and we’ll see if you have what it takes.”

“Wait, I’m hired just like that?”

“Not quite, but you have a fairly good chance. We could always use more pegasi and most pegasi are currently working in the weather team.”

Finally, some stray luck has come my way. Nova sighs with relief, she leans against the counter a little. “When should I be here?”

“About eight in the morning.”

Not a problem. She gives a quick nod. “Okay then, I guess I’ll be seeing you tomorrow?”

“Yep,” replies the pegasus with a smile.

“Thank you.” Nova turns for the door. Now, to find some food. Too bad I don’t actually have any money left I would like to get something from that restaurant. She starts playing over the events of yesterday in her head. The encounter with the pink pony and with Twilight. Well, I am here to pay my dues, shouldn’t be hard to find the princess. I’ll apologize to the pink one if I find her.

“Do you know where I can find Twilight?”

“Yeah, she should be at the Golden Oaks Library.”

She gives a polite smile. With a quick flap of her wings she flies out into the cool autumn air. It doesn’t take her long to spot the large tree sitting in the middle of the town. She quickly angles herself toward the tree, being sure to follow the road.

A simple sign stands out front by the door with the image of a book. The ‘building’ itself has small outcroppings where the windows stick out slightly from the trunk. A balcony pokes out of the large clump of leaves. A thick branch stands above the leaves with another balcony on it.

Nova begins to glide down to the road skidding to a stop a few hooves away from the door. She walks up to the door and gives a quick knock. “I’ll get it.” She hears someone say. Doesn’t sound like Twilight, too young. Soon the door swings open and a small purple and green dragon stand on the other side. She takes a step back, but remains otherwise composed.

“Hey,” says the dragon.

“Uh, hello, is Twilight here?”

“Yeah, come in,” he says. He steps to the side to let her pass. She gives a polite smile and follows him in. “Twilight, it’s for you.”

“Coming,” says the alicorn from somewhere upstairs. She comes walking down the stairs carrying a few books in her magical grasp. “Oh, hey Nova, feeling better today?”

“Yeah, I wanted to say sorry about yesterday.”

“It’s fine, I shouldn’t have bothered you.”

“No, no it’s not. I had no reason to talk to you like that. So, I’m sorry.”

“Well, thank you. It wasn’t that big of a thing though.”

“Yeah, but I felt bad just leaving like that. Bad habit of mine really,” Nova says the last part in a more sorrowful tone. She takes a deep breath and looks back at Twilight. “Well, I hope to see you around, cause it looks like I’m gonna be here for a while.”

Author's Note:

Yay, I actually have a cover image for the story! Not exactly perfect but it works. If anyone wants to hazard a guess as to what's up with Nova go ahead. I would love to know what some of you think so far, though it is only the second chapter... Anyways, hope you all enjoy. Until next time,
-Sphinx