• Published 15th Jun 2014
  • 2,229 Views, 60 Comments

Internal struggle - lunaisbestpony1



Twilight wakes up in a hospital near the border of Changeling country, but something about her is...off. She remembers nothing of her adult life, and she seems to be juggling a bit of an alter ego. An evil alter ego.

  • ...
5
 60
 2,229

The Depths Of Her Trouble

Twilight lied on her back in the back of the carriage and stared at the slowly passing clouds above. “So you’re a…what are you called?”

“A changeling.” The driver responded, pulling a hard left on the rocky mountain paths.

“Changeling.” Twilight clicked her tongue committing the strange word to memory. “Do you have any magic?”

The changeling turned and stared at the mare before changing shape. He took the form of a familiar sun goddess.

Twilights jaw dropped, her eyes bulging in pure amazement. “CELESTIA? YOU’RE A CAB DRIVER? AND A MAN?”

The Celestia clone raised her brow and changed back into the strange creature. His eyes darted to the road as he responded, “No that IS my magic. I can change my shape. Morphing magic I suppose.”

Twilight nodded at this. “Oh. That’s cool, I should be taking notes on this.” She said.

A silence fell between the two before it was broken by the curious cab driver. “Uh huh. So Miss…”

“Twilight,” The alicorn supplied.

“That’s what I thought.” He muttered. “Can I ask you why you’re here? I mean, a princess visiting changeling country is exceedingly rare. You’re lucky you didn’t run into any of those coffee grinders.”

Twilight pouted at the guard, “It’s cute that ponies are calling me ‘princess,’ but I’m no princess! Or least, I don’t think I am. I do have wings, but I don’t know why. I think I would remember getting wings. But I don’t. Besides, my mom says I’m not allowed to have coffee.”

“No, you have it wrong,” The changeling said, deciding not to mention the princess’s strange behavior in fear of the ‘death of fire and shadows’ he was promised before. “The Coffee Grinders are a political party here. They pretty much rally behind the old queen and despise all ponies.”

Twilight scowled, “What do you mean ‘the old queen’?” she asked innocently.

“You really don’t know? I figured you of all ponies”

“WHY DOES EVERYPONY KEEP SAYING THAT? ME OF ALL PONIES LIKE I HAVE SOME HISTORY WITH CHANGELING STUF?!?” The mare said in a spark of anger.

The cab driver whipped his head back, only to see that in her rage, the mare’s eyes had changed to those ghastly slits he had looked into before. Pure terror ran through him and the driver began to have a panic attack. But his mental breakdown was stopped when he heard sobbing from the back seat.

“Are you okay miss?” The changeling squeaked.

“My side hurts! I want my mom!” Twilight said, twisting on the seat and holding her side.

“Okay, okay, don’t cry!” The driver said wordily, both confused and fearing for his life. That mare earlier…she had promised him a death of fire and shadows. Now she was near to the point of tears. He knew little of pony magic, but he knew enough to tell that something dark was at foot. Or at least abnormal. His passenger was a well-known princess from the pony lands after all. Yet she had appeared outside the hospital and hopped into HIS cab. Why? “Please, please stop crying miss!” He exclaimed, “We can get ice cream if you want.”

Twilight sniffed. “R-really?”

“Uh, y-ya sure. Anything you want princess. We can hit a drive through once we get into Equestria lines. I guess.”

Twilight gave a very small smile. “O-okay Mr. Changeling. Thank you. What kind of ice cream will we get? Mama always gets me it in cone form, and,” She twitched, her eyes turning to shadowy slits before turning back. The driver winced, still staring at the mare, but Twilight didn’t notice. “Sometimes she gets me ice cream in a bowl. But my favorite is ice cream in a waffle cone bowl, did you know they make that? It’s like combining the two best ways to serve ice cream. It’s awesome.” She smiled.

The driver nodded. Suddenly becoming even more nervous, he was nearing the edge of the border. A huge marble checkpoint guarded by two armed stallions loomed in the distance.

“Alright Princess,” He spoke in a relaxed tone, but he was sweating,

Twilight looked worriedly on, “You okay mister?”

“Y-yes. But please, I need you to grant me passage. As a pri-pony you can do that. Just tell the guards that I can go through. They may ask you some questions, or they may do some spells on you. Just answer to the best of your ability and they’ll let us in.”

“Then we can get ice cream?”

The driver sighed, “Yes, then we can get ice cream.”

It wasn’t long before the cab pulled up to the checkpoint. A stallion stepped forth.

“Identify yourself and state your business.” He boomed.

Twilight poked her head out of the cab and stared at the stallion, who didn’t notice her as he was still staring at the cab driver.

The driver gulped, “My name is Hubert Pent. I am a changeling cab driver in the Doodle political party. I’m here to escort Miss Twilight Sparkle across country lines. Sir.” He added the last part respectfully, trying and failing not to trip over his words.

“We’re also here to get ice cream!” Twilight put in leaning out the window.

The guard turned to twilight and rolled his eyes, “Right, out of the cab miss.”

“Why?” She asked.

“Just do so. By order of the royal guard.”

Confused, Twilight stumbled out of the cab and stood before the stallion. “I’m required to tell you,” The guard said, “that if you’re a changeling, this spell will reveal your true form and you will be arrested on site. If you are a changeling, you can admit it and turn back now.”

Twilight whimpered and took a step back, looking to the cab driver who gave her a reassuring smile. “Just accept it, you’ll be fine.” The driver choked to the Princess.

Twilight stared back at the guard and nodded, “O-okay.” She squeaked.

The guard’s horn lit with magic and a magical aura enveloped Twilight. But, nothing happened.

The guard blinked. “But…” he tried the spell again. Nothing happened. “You…” He turned to his buddy, who was sleeping in the booth, and yelled, “Send word to the princess! Twilight has been found!”

Twilight backed up at the sudden yelling of the stallion. “Well, then, okay, I’ll just be going…”

The guard turned frantically to twilight and grabbed her hoof before pulling handcuffs from his belt. “NO! PLEASE! You’ve been missing for so long! Stay here where it’s safe” He threw the handcuffs over the cab drivers hoofs with his magic than he turned to him, “You are under arrest for foalnapping a princess.” He said marching up to the cab.

The other guard sprung to his feet and ran over to Twilight, checking the princess for any sign of harm and coaxing her to come sit with him well this was sorted out.

Twilight backed away, her body beginning to twitch, her breathing becoming rapid breaths of fear.

“No. NO! YOU HAVE IT WRONG! STOP!” The last word echoed around the outpost, causing rumblings from the top of the mountain. She began to hover, causing everyone present to stare on in fear. A bright blue light flashed from within the princess and foul winds of chaos whipped around her. When the dust cleared, she stood with her flaming mane and shadow armor, a portrait of fear and despair. She glared at the guards who both had stopped what they were doing to stare at the alicorn.

The dark twilight gave a gleeful smile and hovered in the air to better address her subjects. “You dare stop our passage peasants?” She spat with all the terror and beauty of a tyrannical queen. “We shall send thee both away.” She smiled at the two, her horn lighting with shadowy energy.

The guards backed away, speechless and scared as cold shadows wrapped tightly around their bodies. The shadows pulled the two in the same direction, bumping them together with rather painful force. They would have groaned, I the dark alicorn hadn’t been holding their voices.

The evil Twilight got closer to the two, looking into their eyes with her own. She breathed the next words, and the aura of terror further gripped the stallions, “Far. Far. Away.”

She let sound an evil laugh as the guards began to spin in the shadows, slowly fading from existence until there was nothing left. Just two empty spaces in the fading darkness.

The evil alicorn turned to the stunned changeling, who was backed up against his cab and freaking out. ‘He’s scared.’ She thought with delight, ‘Good. But, we may have exhausted too much energy. we shall have to take it easy.’ Her internal uncertainty didn’t show through her regal posture. She strut to the cab and sat high and mighty in the back seat, as if it were her own regal carriage.

“Come driver, take us to Canterlot.” She said as the driver hurried to his seat and took off.

Author's Note:

So did you like it? Tell me what you think please! ^.^