• Published 15th Jun 2014
  • 6,817 Views, 395 Comments

117 The Eternal Guardian - Nanofield



Somewhat op Master Chief in pre NMM Equis.

  • ...
25
 395
 6,817

Chapter 5: An Old Friend, And A New Journey

^Earth^
{2561AD}
10:00
9 days 2 hours after John's disappearance
[3rd]

She walked through the halls to the science lab where the 'Eggheads' responsible for Project Omega worked. When she found out about his 'accident', she was livid, not just mad, but absolutely livid. Well, maybe that's taking it a bit too far. Maybe. Anyway, as soon as she found out about his 'death', she stopped what she was doing and went straight after them wanting answers. She walked through the halls and made it to where they were. Opening the door, she walked in and found only one scientist there.

“What happened to him?!”

Startled, the scientist turned around to see who was there to yell at him this time.

“What? Oh, it's you. I'm not surprised you're here. You were rather attached to him after all.”

“Tell me what happened to him.”

“When testing the experimental teleportation system, something went wrong and he disappeared.”

“Where is he?”

“We don't know. There is a tracking system to help us find the suit when this happens but we can't pick up the signal. We were sure we had fixed it this time too.”

“What do you mean this time?”

“When we test it, sometimes the suit ends up on another planet. Sometimes it is across the room. When originally testing teleporter technology, sometimes the system causes what ever is being teleported to just vanish or kill the test subject. We fixed the fatality problem with the teleporter but we still find it ending up in the wrong spot. We once found it on Mars in a trench, took weeks before anyone found it. That's why we added a homing beacon. We can't find him though and there are no reports of his beacon on any of the other planets.”

“And you are just going to give up? Just like that?”

“Yes, nothing we can do about it. He is gone. The suit with him.”

“Well, I'm not giving up. I am going to find him if it's the last thing I do.”

“How will you find him? He could be anywhere. How are you even going to travel? ONI won't fund an expedition to find him.”

“Simple, all I have to do is look for something that we haven't found before and, most likely, forerunner." 'It's always forerunner with John.' She mused to herself. "As to by what means, I'm taking the UNSC Midnight Dawn to find him.”

“What!? You can't take the Midnight Dawn! It's top secret, nearly as secret as the Spartan program. How did you even find out about that? There is no way they are going to let you go on a wild goose chase looking for a bag of bones in a suit of armor with an Infinity-Class Warship!"

“I know about every single project you all are working on, and I'm not going to ask them. I'll just take it and if you tell anyone or try to stop me, well, you can just use your imagination. He is out there, I know it.”

With her talk finished, and an objective found, she started for the door but heard him speak up one last time before she left.

“Good luck Cortana. You’ll need it.”

“He's all the luck I need.”