• Published 15th Jun 2014
  • 6,824 Views, 395 Comments

117 The Eternal Guardian - Nanofield



Somewhat op Master Chief in pre NMM Equis.

  • ...
25
 395
 6,824

Chapter 18: Before

Author's Note:

Sorry for the wait... my editor never got the chapter back to me. This is unedited, so we'll see how good I am raw. The next one should be out when it should be, edited or otherwise.

^Equis^
{5/21/350}
7:00
[John]

I look back at Everfree City from my spot on the outer wall. This place has grown much in my time here. The castle in the center, the inner wall a mile out, four more is the outer wall. The outer city is mostly used for agriculture, small industry and blacksmith work, and housing for the ones who have those jobs; whereas the inner is mostly shops, housing for shopkeepers, some nobility, and the like. Today is the day the Changelings are going to get here. We are ready. I see a black dot in the distance. Pulling up my binary rifle, I scope in. “It's them.” I turn to the pegasus messenger next to me. “Go, tell the captains that the Changelings approach.”

With only a nod and a salute, he flies off. At the distance they are at, I have about an hour. Turning back to the castle, I focus on the balcony to my room. Teleporting five miles is not really what this is meant for, but it isn't really that bad to do; and I feel I should get more practice with it. It's much faster than flying, and no acceleration stress. The same pulling feel is there as I relocate to the balcony. My room is rather simple; a writing desk, bed, storage chest, and a closet.

Walking out of my room, I make my way to the dining room to see Tia and Luna. “Morning Tia, Luna.”

“Good morning John.”

“Did you see the Changelings yet?”

“Yes Luna. They're there; about an hour out. The captains are preparing as we speak.”

“We must make haste. To the wall.”

At that, the three of us head out to the outer wall. Once there, we meet with the captains of the military. Captain Shadow Armor, a unicorn, oversees the Army, Captain Sunspot, a pegasus, runs the Air Force, and Captain Iron Hoof, another unicorn, handles the Marine Corps.

“Captain Hoof, get your Marines on the inner wall. If the Changelings get through the outer wall, I want them ready to defend the inner city. Captain Armor, hold the outer wall. Have unicorns skilled in long range attack spells on the wall firing at the Changelings. The rest of them are to be placed on the inside of the walls at the gate. Have the gate opened but ready to be closed in an emergency. Keep the army within the walls till the Changelings are close up. That way, the unicorns firing at them don't have to worry about hitting our own men till they are close enough for it not to be an issue. Captain Sunspot, have the pegasi in the air armed with crossbows and wrist blades; keep the Changelings on the ground. That is all. Move out!”

“Sir yes Sir!!”

Both of the unicorns teleport away to relay my orders, Sunspot flies off. “Good.” I then turn my attention to the princesses. “Tia, head back to the city and get the ponies into the castle. It is more than big enough to hold them all. Don't cause them to panic, tell them it is just preventative. They've gone through the drill enough times. Once that is handled, put on your headset so I can get a hold of you if I need to. That's all for you for now.”

“Yes John.” She then flies off. Next is Luna. “Luna, you go directly back and get your own headset. Then meet me back here, you'll stay with me. Your ability in combat will be helpful if it is needed.”

“Understood.” She flies off too; leaving me on the wall to myself. A quick check of the time, 7:15. I turn back to the Changelings, they are still about 45 minutes out. I check back to the city, Marines are already gathering on the inner wall, the Air Force is gathering to fly, and the Army is ready. Unicorns make their way up the steps to the top of the wall, Captain Armor leading them. “Captain, you made good time.”

“As always Sir.”

“They are about 10 miles from the city; what's the estimate accurate range for the unicorns' attack?”

“A bit over a mile.”

“And for pot-shots?”

“At most, two miles.”

“Alright.” A small smile forms on my unseen face as I turn to the unicorns stationed on the wall. “Get ready to wait!”