• Published 15th Jun 2014
  • 6,823 Views, 395 Comments

117 The Eternal Guardian - Nanofield



Somewhat op Master Chief in pre NMM Equis.

  • ...
25
 395
 6,823

Chapter 14: Nasty Little Buggers

^Equis^
{350}
9:00
[John]

“I'm getting old; no use in questioning it. What am I now, 300 something?”

“350. John, you're not that old; just look at me. I'm almost 700.”

“I am aware Celestia, but you are an Alicorn. You are supposed to live that long. Humans aren't meant to live longer than 100 or so. Most are lucky to hit 80.”

“You told me that already; there isn't much you haven't.” She reaches over to me from where she is sitting and taps me on the nose with her hoof. “Boop.”

I turn to look at her; my lack of amusement rather clear on my face. “Must you do that?”

She gives me an almost defiant smile. “Yes, as a matter of fact.”

It doesn’t take more than a few seconds for a smile to form on my face. I've had my armor retracted so we can see each other better. I long since learned to speak Equestrian so I don't need the translator; though I still use it to refresh my English every so often. You never know. My armor can also scan magic and magic echoes, differentiate some effects of different spells and such, detect magic signatures, and detect inherent magic in objects and creatures. It isn't flawless but they are all very useful features that the ONI techs didn't even know they added and I repurposed.

The last three hundred years have actually been rather well spent. I wouldn't go back to Earth at this point; it would be like if George Washington or Archimedes showed up one day. Long gone heroes shouldn't come back after hundreds of years.

I spoke to Luna and finally got her to listen to reason; we get along now. Celestia and I might be in a relationship but I'm not sure and have no intention of asking. She has become more attached to me lately; I don't know, maybe it is a relationship. Her habit of tapping me on the nose and going 'boop' might be a good indication but she hasn't shown any other signs. Or am I just that oblivious “So, anything new?”

“Not really. The trade route with the United Republic of Griffindor is providing a good income. Most ponies have forgotten about Discord as anything other than a story. The sun and moon still revolve around the planet. And Everfree city is doing well. Anything on your end?”

“Well, I have heard reports of an unknown race of creatures moving in towards us from the desert nearby. I plan to look for myself later on. Supposedly they are some sort of large bug things that fly around in large numbers.”

“Any idea what they could be?”

“Well, there is that race of alien bugs in the Covenant. Based on the information given, they fit the description. I hope it isn't them though; if the Covenant are here... well, let's hope it isn't them. If you need me, I'll be preparing.” I stand up and head for the door.

“John?”

I turn to face her, she looks worried. “Yea?”

“If it is the Covenant, you can beat them. Right?”

“Don't worry, the description was rather vague. It probably isn't them.” At that I leave the room to prepare. “I'll be leaving in about 3 hours.” Really hope it isn't Covenant; don't know if I still can fight them off. It's not like I have slowed down due to my age or something; it's just that their tech level has probably expanded far past what I could handle with what I have.

*****
12:00

All ready to head out, I leave the same way I always do; with a flying leap. Of course Celestia was there to see me off as always; so I find myself making a show of it. What can I say; I like jumping off the castle balcony.

I head on my way towards the desert at a relaxed pace, which amounts to only a few hundred miles an hour. I try not to go too fast, breaking the sound barrier here has some... odd results.

I reach the desert itself with no problem; it's what I see that worries me. The insect like creatures that were reported, they're not Yanme'e; it's something else entirely. Small, black, deformed, ponyish things. I land unnoticed on a hill of sand and activate my camo to stay undetected. There are hundreds of them all in a pile; and many more around it. Upon zooming in my vision, I see a large thing under the pile; a dead elephant. It looks as if it hadn’t eaten in weeks; skin and bones is all that is left. No visible surface injuries though.

Wanting to know what I'm up against before heading out there; I run a few scans to see how powerful they are. Let's see, they are less powerful than a unicorn yet something is off about them. Continuing my scans, I find out just what. Dark magic runs through their entire being. It is the only source of energy in their bodies and it seems to be what powers them. Do they even eat? I haven't encountered much dark magic in my time here, but I know enough. It doesn't carry as much physical power as regular magic but it hits harder on my shields. Not only that, but its effects are rather unpredictable. My armor can sometimes tell what the effect of a spell could be before it is fired, but not dark magic. If they all fired a strong blast at once, they would break my shields easily. I really don't want to walk out there, but I have to make contact to learn of their intentions.

I activate my Promethean vision to see all of them at once so I can find the biggest. With insects, the largest bug usually leads them in some form. It only takes me a few seconds to find the big bug so I head towards it. I see its stature is almost as tall as Celestia. I deactivate my Promethean vision and activate my armor lock just to be safe before deactivating my camo. Needless to say, they were quite surprised at my sudden appearance; I even got a few blasts of magic shot at me. Thank you near indestructible armor lock.

I increase the volume on my speakers before addressing the things around me. “Attention insect like creatures. I am not here to harm you, so long as you will extend the same courtesy to me. I am Master Chief, The Guardian of Equestria. I have received reports that you have been advancing towards the capital city of Everfree; I hope for peace between our lands. As such, I request that you provide me with knowledge of your intentions and the name of your species so that we may better understand one another and move towards an extended prosperity between our people.”

I am quite surprised when the entire crowd of insects burst into laughter. The largest of them only looks at me like I am insane. “What is it that you find so amusing?”

“Ha; foolish creature. You truly expect peace from the Changeling Empire? I am Carapace, King of the Changelings. We march onwards to Equestria to take over the land you call home. Leave now and you shall be spared till our arrival.”

“Well, King Carapace, I will not let you do that. If you continue in your attempts, you will fail. I will, in the hopes that our nations can one day be allies, leave you as you are. I greatly suggest that you turn back or continue exclusively for peace, for if you do try to attack us; you will fall. I have protected this land for over 300 years, you will NOT take over. Not now, not ever.” I start to walk away so I can take off but when I feel a blast of magic strike me in the back, I come to a halt. Lucky me that I kept my armor lock on.

“Why you insolent fool! You have no power, no magic. How can you possibly fight against an army with thousands of Changelings?”

I turn around while de-polarizing my visor so the Changeling king can see the glare I have on my face. “YOU are the fool! I give you a chance to turn back or to make peace so you do not have to suffer combat with us. If you did attack, you would splatter at our walls like bugs on a windshield! I give you the chance to survive yet you try to shoot me in the back! You think me powerless? Compared to me, you are an insignificant worm I could crush under my boot. Count yourself lucky that I do not extinguish your short life now and end my troubles. Instead I shall simply show you a small example of my power!” The king looks quite mortified at my outburst. I extend my blade, deactivate my armor lock and use my thruster pack to charge with a forward slash all in less than a second. Turning around, I see the king on the ground, clutching his head with his hooves; having just lost his horn to my blade. “Let this serve as a warning to all of you. Stay away from Equestria; for if you venture forth with your desire to conquer, you will be destroyed.” At that, I turn back towards my home and take off at sonic speed. Rainbow Ring be damned. I have a strong feeling this is not over; stupid bugs.

*****
14:00

Back at the castle I head to the kitchen for some food; they figured out how to make fake meat that actually tastes like meat; I am hoping to try that. Along the way, I run into Luna and Celestia. “Hey, I'm back. How were things here?”

“Hey John, everything went fine. How was the scouting mission?”

“Scouting? When was this?”

“I left about two hours ago, just got back. Everything went well; I figured out what the insect things were.”

“Really. What was it?”

“Something called Changelings.” Luna and Tia both freeze up and look at me with no small amount of fear. Both open their mouths and say the same thing at the same time like all siblings do.

“Changelings?”

“Yes. Are you familiar with the things?”

Tia speaks up at that. “Yes; only through study though. I had once stumbled upon a book detailing the 'lesser species of the land' as it was put. Changelings were among the many that were mentioned.”

Interesting. “Do you still know where the book is?”

“Yes, it is in the library. I will have Dr. Whooves retrieve it after lunch.”

Still a bit unnerved about that. Dr. Whooves was one of the first ponies I met here. He is not the same one I first met here as he had died a long time ago. For some reason the lineage of Dr. Whooves always has a son and daughter. Then the son takes the name Dr. Whooves when the father gets too old. The son's original name is Time Turner. The mother is named Melody Song but started as Rose Luck. They always look the same as the parent and have the same personality. Don't have a clue why they can do that successfully; but as long as there are no laws about it, I don't really care or have a reason to stop them.

“That is fine. When we get to that, I need to discuss things of importance with you both. Till then, let's eat. So Luna, how is your day?”

“It is fine. Court was just as well; not much happening since you joined us as our military leader. Equestria has not seen this much peace in a long time.”

“Yea, about that... the thing I need to talk to you both about; the meeting will have to be held in the war room.”

“What!?”

Yea, not surprised at the synced response this time.