• Published 16th Jun 2014
  • 635 Views, 6 Comments

Life of an Equestrian Engineer - Railroad Brony



Through the amalgamation of many railroads, The Canterlot & North Western spawned a vast network of rails covering the Equestria's Midwest and extending all the way to the northwestern tip of the nation. This is one engineer's story

  • ...
0
 6
 635

Preface

Preface

Throughout the amalagation of many railroads, the Canterlot & North Western spawned a vast network of rails covering the midwest and extending all the way to the nrothwestern tip of the nation. It became the fifth largest railroad in Equestria.

From its very inception, Griffin financiers held controlling interest; consequently, the equipment and its operation have been unique in many ways. The line earned the distinction of being one of the first railroads to voluntarily establish a pension system at no cost to its employees.

At a time when competitive roads were running in the red, the North Western continued to enjoy amazing financial success. The success was due in large part to wise management. The employees were constantly bombarded with reminders of safety and thrift. The purchase of new locomotives would never be considered unless the existing power was either worn beyond repair or proved inadequate for the job. Notwithstanding, the policy of the company was to equal or better the service of its competitors, a fact which resulted in unusual demands on the engine crews.

The Lake Shore division of the Canterlot & North Western cuts through the fertile farmlands and lush green pastures of the Great Plains. Dotted with beautiful lakes, the rolling landscape would seem to be an ideal country in which to railroad. The seasons were so definite that one never tired of the changing scenery; and yet the winters were so severe that only the stoutest could endure their hardships. This vigorous and interesting railroad is the background for this story, which witnesses steam at the height of its glory and sees the coming of the Diesel.

Author's Note:

So, how did I do so far?