• Published 20th Jun 2014
  • 7,334 Views, 108 Comments

Good Morning, Beautiful - scoots2



Cheese Sandwich keeps a lot of his thoughts to himself when he's around Pinkie Pie. For a party pony, he’s still awfully shy. But today he slips up, thinks out loud when he’s barely awake, and says much more than he ever meant to.

  • ...
10
 108
 7,334

Rubber Chickens and Party Pony Tag

“Remember the library? That’s where the library was,” Pinkie said, waving a hoof at the ugly ruin. Some cinders glowed deep in the interior, and a page or two from one of its charred books wafted by them, some of Twilight’s notes in her thin, neat writing still visible in between the lines. Weeks after suffering Tirek’s attack, the tree and the library it had once housed was still dying a prolonged and very public death. Cheese winced.

“Yep,” said Pinkie. “We had some nice parties there. And Twilight had all kinds of books. She was even trying to trade some away, and I guess it was my fault she didn’t. She keeps thinking that maybe if she had given those books to somepony, they’d still be out there somewhere.”

She and the rest of their friends had walked in on Twilight, after all the fuss had died down. She’d been on the floor, sobbing. “My poor books,” she mourned. “So many ponies in those books. Thousands of ponies, generations and generations of ponies, all gone forever.”

“Well, at least they weren’t real ponies,” Rainbow Dash had pointed out. “I mean, who’s gonna die fighting for a couple of books?”

They’d all tried to point out the bright side. Applejack had suggested that it wasn’t an old library, and she hadn’t lost any family, and Fluttershy had mentioned that Owlowiscious was safe, thank goodness, and Rarity had added that at least many of the books weren’t expensive and didn’t have artistic covers. She personally had tried some of her very best balloons twisted into funny animal shapes. But nothing seemed to work, and finally Spike shooed them all away, because when it came to things like this, Spike really knew her best.

“She’s still really sad about it,” Pinkie continued, thinking as she did so that “sad” hardly covered it. “And she lost her home, too, so it would be like if a great big rock came out of the sky, nnnneow, and landed on Sugarcube Corner and the rock farm, poom! and all the cupcakes and little rocks were smooshed into frosting and even littler itty-bitty rocks and I didn’t have anywhere to live or the Cakes or my family, except Maud would still be interested in the rocks, I guess, but anyway, you can imagine!”

Cheese shook his head. “No,” he said, “I really can’t imagine. It makes me feel almost embarrassed about—”

“About Boneless, you mean?” He nodded. “Well, I don’t know,” she said. “I mean, Boneless was almost all you had.”

Cheese shrugged. “He was a rubber chicken. I’ve got Boneless 2 now. They’re both rubber chickens. They’re practically identical.”

Oh, come on, she thought. Even Cheesie can’t think I’d really believe that!

“Well, okay,” he admitted, shifting from hoof to hoof and trying not to meet her gaze, “I did feel a little bad about it, but I knew you must have had a good reason for throwing him away.”

“Throwing him away?” she squeaked. “I would never have thrown Boneless away!”

“‘Dear Cheesie,’” he said, quoting her letter, “‘I’m sorry. I lost Boneless. I threw him at a box, and the box exploded.’”

“Ohhh,” said Pinkie. “It wasn’t really like that. Let’s go to Twilight’s castle now, okay? We have to tell Twilight about the party anyway, and I think it’ll explain a lot.”


~~


“Princess Twilight is not available,” said the small purple dragon seated on Twilight’s desk. He barely looked up as he checked off lines of a very long list, a quill gripped in his claws. “She’s been called to Canterlot by Princess Celestia, but she left me in charge while she was gone. May I be of assistance?”

Cheese shot a glance at Pinkie, but Pinkie just said, “Wow, Spike, you look great! Are you like a Lord Watchamadoodle now?”

Spike looked up and dropped his quill. “Oh, hi, Pinkie!” he said, in a much less formal tone, as he scooted towards the front of the desk. “Yeah, Twilight made me Lord High Chancellor and Lord High Chamberlain, too!”

Actually, the conversation had been something like, “Hey, Twilight! Can I be a Lord Chancellor or a Lord Chamberlain now?” to which Twilight had responded, “sure, Spike. Go ahead. Be both.” It was perfectly fair, though, since as Twilight’s longtime number one assistant, he really was in charge of arranging all her royal appearances and her political duties, too, so he might as well have the titles to go with the job. The new titles clearly made Spike very, very happy, as did the jewel-encrusted sash he was wearing, and Pinkie liked seeing Spike being happy.

“Do you like the sash?” he asked eagerly, thrusting out his chest so Pinkie could admire it better. “There wasn’t any official design yet, so Rarity designed it herself!”

“Ooooo!” Pinkie said, bringing her eyes so close to the sash that they practically touched it. “Sparkly! What happened to that one?” she said, pointing to a purple gem in the center that had been rubbed and polished until it was almost gone.

“That one? Oh, yeah,” said Spike, glancing down. “I keep licking that one. I’m trying to kick the habit, but it’s really tasty. So,” he went on, scooping up some gems from a bowl on the desk and crunching on them, “Cheese Sandwich, huh? Are you going to throw a party, or are you just here to see Pinkie?”

Turning pink under a coat as orange as Cheesie’s really made him look like a sunset, Pinkie noticed. “Both!” she said. “Everypony wants a party tomorrow, and I remembered Twilight said she thought there should be a castle-warming or something, so we wanted to tell her the party is tomorrow.”

“Oh,” said Spike, scooping up some more gems. “The thing is, Twilight’s not going to be home tomorrow. She’s not going to be home until the day after that.”

“Aw,” said Pinkie.

“You could still have the party tomorrow,” said Spike, dangling his short legs over the desk edge. “I’m sure Twilight wouldn’t mind. I could make sure you have everything you need. Can I help?”

“Thanks, Spike, but I don’t think the party would be the same without Twilight. I mean, warming a castle when the owner isn’t in it doesn’t sound very warm. Funny, though,” she said, tapping her chin with her hoof, “‘cause we were sure it was tomorrow.”

“Are . . . are you sure?” said Cheese, and Pinkie knew he was still worried that something was wrong with his Cheesy Sense again. Maybe it wasn’t really his Cheesy Sense telling him to stay. Maybe it was just because he wanted to be here instead. Maybe he was kidding himself and blocking out another party he was really supposed to plan. Maybe he was supposed to be on his way to Vanhoover right now. Maybe—

Spike’s cheeks began to bulge, his eyes crossed, and he belched an enormous jet of green flame. He unrolled the scroll that had dropped to the desk, and said, “huh. What do you know? She’s coming back earlier than she thought. She’ll be back tonight, and I bet she’ll want to go to bed early, after having to get up at all hours for emergencies and then travel to Canterlot. But I’m sure she’ll say yes to a party tomorrow.”

“See?” exclaimed Pinkie. “Pinkie Sense never lies. And neither does Cheesy Sense,” she added, glancing at Cheese. “We knew the party was tomorrow. Come on, Cheesie. I want to show you something.”


~~


“Twilight’s still really sad about the library,” she said, as she led him through the castle, “and she’s been busy doing princess-y things, so she hasn’t been around much, but I’ve been everywhere exploring, and I keep finding new stuff. Slides, a bubble maker, doors that lead right into brick walls—I mean, it’s even got a really truly dungeon! Who knew? And when Twilight moved in, there was hardly anything here. Know what I think? I think the castle is building itself. It’s making new stuff all the time. Especially stuff that’s funny.” She pushed open a wide set of double doors. Beyond it, there was a grand corridor, and beyond that, the Circle of Friendship.

Cheese was looking all around as they trotted through the Great Hall: at the great, arching ceiling; at the strange, crystalline columns; at the Gothic windows, now all plain glass, but which would slowly be filled with stained glass honoring those who had done something wise or good; and she knew that what he really wanted to see were those trick doors. “You mean the castle has a sense of humor?”

“Of course, silly,” she said, leaning on him with both front hooves. “It’s got me! The hall’s great for sliding in, too. Woohoo!” she squealed, skidding down the polished stone floor, and ending with a quick, dizzying spin. “See? Almost as good as ice if you’ve got your iron horseshoes on!” She noticed the long scratches that marked Cheese’s and her progress down the hall, shrugged, and pushed open a second set of doors, revealing a perfectly round room with a deep royal purple floor.

Cheese trotted around the thrones arranged in a circle at the center of the hall: one for her; five more for Twilight, Rarity, Applejack, Fluttershy, and Rainbow Dash; and a smaller one for Spike to Twilight’s right. He paused in front of the one with three balloons: two blue ones and a yellow one. “That’s yours?”

“Yep. Toldja I had an amazing new chair. I was kind of disappointed in it at first. It’s hard, and it’s too big, and it doesn’t vroom around or do anything cool. Twilight’s the bestest, though. She let me fix it up a little. See?”

She pointed to the seat cushion, which was made of shiny satin, almost as puffy and pink as Pinkie herself. “They put these fancy stitched-up pillows on after the seats got cold. Rarity loves hers, but I like mine better. This way my hind end doesn’t go to sleep. Go ahead and give it a try!”

She boosted Cheese into her chair. He tossed his black hat high into the air, caught the fez that floated back down, and put it on. “Huh,” he said, crossing his hind legs and leaning on one arm, “not bad.” His front leg slipped off the arm and he slid down onto his back, all four legs in the air. “The satin’s a little slippery, Pinkie,” he called from within the depths of the seat cushions.

Pinkie giggled. “Yeah. I wanted it to be made of marshmallows, but it kept sticking in my tail, and you know how hard it is to get sticky stuff out of curly tails.”

Cheese crawled up out of the cushions so that his head and front legs were visible, and made a face. “Candy apple coating. It’s the worst.”

“I know!” exclaimed Pinkie, bouncing a little to be able to keep eye contact. “It takes forever to eat it all off!”

Cheese disappeared again. “What’s down here?” he said, his voice muffled.

“I think I left some chocolate caramels in there,” she called back. “Are they melted?”

He popped back up again, chewing something. “Mostly no. Nice chair, Pinkie. Kind of squishy, it’s got snacks, but I wouldn’t want to have to sit here all day.”

“Me neither!” exclaimed Pinkie. “And that’s how I found it out. Twilight had us all sitting here and she was explaining stuff about what we were all supposed to do, and it didn’t sound like anything different from what I do now. Anyway, it went on for forty-five minutes and Rainbow Dash was already asleep and drooling, and I was so bored and I just started poking stuff. See my cutie mark back there?” she said, pointing, and Cheese turned and looked at it.

“This one?”

“Yep. Jab it right there, with your hoof. Right in the middle, a nice sharp jab.”

Cheese jabbed at the cutie mark, and a small drawer popped out with a clicking noise. Inside, on a rose pink lining, lay a small golden key, with the end shaped like Pinkie Pie’s three balloon cutie mark.

“Turn it over.”

Cheese carefully picked it up with his mouth and dropped it back on the lining so its reverse could be seen. There, nestled in the center, was a golden topaz, cut unmistakably in the shape of a small rubber chicken. “Boneless,” he murmured.

“Yep,” said Pinkie, leaning her front legs on the chair. “That’s him.”

Cheese looked at it wordlessly for a while, and then looked back down at her, his eyes glittering. “Do all the keys have things on the back?”

Pinkie thought about this for a moment. “I don’t know,” she said at last. “Boneless was different. He was a gift. I gave him to you and you gave him back to me. He was pretty special. And besides, Boneless wasn’t a thing. Boneless was a friend.” She looked up at Cheese, but he was staring at the contents of the drawer again. “Here, Cheesie,” she said. “Scootch over.”

She scrambled up beside Cheese. It was sort of a tight fit, but not too tight if you liked the pony you were sitting next to. “Did I ever tell you about my Granny Pie? Anyway, one time when I was a filly, I was really afraid that some day she would go away and I’d never see her again, and she said your real friends don’t ever really leave you. They always leave something, even if you don’t see them anymore. I always hoped she was right later on, because it was so hard when she really did go away.”

She leaned against Cheese and felt him relax. “Granny Pie was right. She was a pretty smart cookie. She left me laughter. If Granny Pie hadn’t showed me, I don’t know if I would ever have laughed at all, and if it weren’t for Rainbow Dash, I might not ever have laughed again, and I wouldn’t have been in Ponyville or given you Boneless or anything.”

“Things were bad, Cheesie. They were really bad, and we knew we had to open this box thing, and Twilight kept trying to solve everything with books, and she always looks in all the wrong books when she does that, and finally we had our things lined up and Twilight was all out of ideas and I screamed at Boneless because I just knew he could solve it for us. And he did.”

“I don’t have this chair because I’m smart or anything; I just like to bake cupcakes and make friends and make other ponies smile. I’m here because I’m Twilight’s friend, and you’re here because you’re my friend, and Boneless is here because he was both of our friends, and that’s how I knew Boneless wasn’t really gone, and I was right. And you need a hug.” She gave him one.

Cheese pushed the door shut. He seemed to be thinking very hard. “So Boneless is here—permanently?”

“Guess so! Don’t ask me what it means, ‘cause I have no idea and it took me a long time to figure even this bit out and now my brain is tired. All you have to know is that he’s safe here right near me and he’s not going anywhere.”

Cheese nodded. “Thanks for showing me, Pinkie. I wanted to know what happened, but I really didn’t want to ask.” He slid out of the chair, Pinkie jumped down beside him, and they trotted through the castle entrance and out the door. “So what’s next? Some party planning?”

“Nope,” she said. “TAG!” and she barreled off down one of the roads leading out of Ponyville, giggling madly. As she looked back, she could see Cheese shifting into top speed, which was party pony top speed and pretty speedy, though of course not anything like what she could do if she really wanted to lose him. She slowed down just a little—not enough so he could catch her, but just enough to make him think that he might, and to keep the chase interesting. Meanwhile, she was leading him towards a nice meadow she knew far on the outskirts of town, where two party ponies could really play a good game of tag and not be interrupted by a lot of other ponies who wouldn’t be able to keep up, and besides, today, she really wanted him all to herself.

The high meadow grass and tall meadow flowers were perfect for party pony tag. It rippled against their shoulders as they tore by, and quivered as one of them hid in its depths, crawling closer and closer towards the other before rocketing upwards, screaming “surprise!” and then taking off again.

Over at Sweet Apple Acres, Granny Smith rubbed her eyes. She could have sworn she saw sheet lightning up near the high grasslands: yellow and pink rippling flashes, accompanied by crashing noises. She’d seen it all in her time, but still she muttered, “mighty strange weather for midsummer,” before dozing off for another nap.

Even party ponies couldn’t play tag at that speed all afternoon, however, and finally they flung themselves down in the high grass, caught their breath, laughing, and chewed a few fresh mouthfuls. Cheese’s eyes began to droop, and Pinkie remembered that he hadn’t had any sleep the night before, so she simply kept chewing quietly and let him fall asleep where he was.

She wasn’t sleepy at all, of course, even though she’d lost most of her sleep, too, and it was such a nice warm day that maybe she’d close her eyes a bit after all.

When she opened them next, the sun was quite a bit further down in the sky. It wasn’t quite so warm, and she was practically nose-to-nose with Cheese, who still seemed to be asleep, and she didn’t want to wake him up. Cheese’s eyes half-opened, he smiled sleepily, said “good morning, beautiful,” and kissed her on the nose.

She was a little startled, but not nearly as much as Cheese was. He gasped in horror, “Pinkie, I’m so sorry!” and backpedaled so fast that he left a long trail of flattened grass in his wake. And then he truly began to panic.

He was right on the edge of the sort of panic that makes ponies run straight into dangerous places, and she knew she had to stop him. She moved in front of him so quickly that she didn’t exactly run at all—she simply was there. This would have been enough to stop almost any pony, but unfortunately, Cheese was a party pony, and he somersaulted over her back and kept going. She had to dart in front of him over and over, blocking his path and herding him back towards the center of the meadow, but even though he was no longer running, he was still panicking. He said, “Pinkie, I’m so sorry. I am so, so sorry, Pinkie,” over and over, and couldn’t seem to stop.

Pinkie could feel his panic almost as well as if it were her own, mixed with at least a dozen other emotions: guilt, embarrassment, relief, and soaring happiness. Underneath them all, of course, was love, but then, that was always there, like the bottom note of an accordion chord. That never went away. It was clear, deep, and steady, and it was why it was so easy for her to hear him.

The noise from his clashing thoughts and emotions, mixed in with his anxious babbling of “I am so sorry, Pinkie,” was so confusing that after the 67th and a half time, she finally put her hoof over his mouth and snapped, “quiet, Cheesie! I can’t hear you think!”

His eyes widened in shock. “It’s ok!” she added quickly. “I liked it.” She took her hoof off his mouth.

Cheese opened and closed his mouth a few times without any noise coming out before finally saying, “You did?”

“Sure!” she said. “My friends and I boop each other on the nose all the time!”

“Oh,” said Cheese, and let out a long, deep breath.

She thought for a moment. “That was different, though,” she said. “Do it again.”

“Wait, what?” Cheese stammered, backing up. Pinkie hoped he wouldn’t go into flight mode again. “You mean . . . kiss you? Here? As in, now?”

“Yep!”

Cheese ran his hoof through his mane until it stood straight up, like a brush. “I’m not sure I can do that,” he said, looking down at the grass.

“You just did,” Pinkie pointed out.

His head came up. “Yeah, but I wasn’t thinking about it! I can’t just kiss you in . . . in cold blood like that!”

Pinkie was beginning to feel very annoyed. “Oh, for crying out loud, Cheese Sandwich, you just shut up and kiss me right now!”

Cheese swallowed, but she wasn’t prepared for what happened next. He laughed.

“What am I missing here, Pinkie?” he wheezed. “The cheese wheels? Balloon animals? An alpenhorn? An audience? Because you have got to be pulling my leg.”

She simply stood there, glowering at him. If he kept laughing at her like that, though, he was really going to hurt her feelings. He stopped laughing.

“You’re really not kidding me, are you,” he said, and it wasn’t a question. He sighed. “Oh, all right. You’re probably just going to change your mind, but that’s okay.” He looked up at the sky. “Sunset’s in a few hours, and I’d like to go for a walk. Meet me in about an hour in front of Sugarcube Corner, ok?”

“I don’t see what sunset and walking and Sugarcube Corner have to do with anything when you could just kiss me now.”

Cheese rolled his eyes. “Just humor me, Pinkie.”

Well, if it involved something funny, she was so there!

Author's Note:

So the first chapter was in the Feature Box. That's kind of amazing! I hope you all like the new chapter.

Twilight’s channeling John Milton here. From Areopagitica:

For Books are not absolutely dead things, but doe contain a potencie of life in them to be as active as that soule was whose progeny they are; nay they do preserve as in a violl the purest efficacie and extraction of that living intellect that bred them.... as good almost kill a Man as kill a good Book; who kills a Man kills a reasonable creature, Gods Image; but hee who destroyes a good Booke, kills reason it selfe, kills the Image of God, as it were in the eye. Many a man lives a burden to the Earth; but a good Booke is the pretious life-blood of a master spirit, imbalm'd and treasur'd up on purpose to a life beyond life.

--or to put it more simply, Twilight thinks of those books as the ponies who wrote them and the ponies they’re about. She thinks they’re gone forever. She should really talk to Pinkie about that, or maybe try wandering around her own castle and opening up a few closets.

Yes, I know the chairs don’t look that big when they’re sitting in them, but c’mon: the scale is way off.

Also: party pony tag > vampire baseball, any day.