• Published 14th Jun 2014
  • 3,719 Views, 199 Comments

Misadventures in Manehattan - The Princess Rarity



A day in the life of Coco Pommel and Grace Manewitz. They're friends, coworkers and... flatmates. Oh, boy. This should be entertaining.

  • ...
2
 199
 3,719

“If I wanted to hear that kind of crap, I’d be watching porn!”

EVENT NINE: Home Sweet Home


“Ok, marshmellow, lie down and chill out,” Grace said, as she carried her friend back into their flat. “I’ll make some dinner. You can watch tv or whatever until you feel better.” She placed Coco down onto the couch and ruffled her roommate’s mane. “No more subway, I promise.”

“I thought you stopped with the marshmellow jokes,” Coco mumbled.

“I helped you walk for three city blocks, and that’s all you can say?” Grace scoffed. She rolled her eyes, and shook her head. “The things I do for friendship.”

“Now you know how I feel,” Coco replied, with a slight smirk.

Grace stammered and stuttered in hopes for an equally smart remark back, but instead, she just let out a sigh, dropped her saddlebags, and shuffled into the kitchen. She frowned at the dirty dishes, and ignored them. Just because Coco was sick didn’t mean she was allowed to skimp out on her chores. Instead, Grace decided they could use paper plates… if they had any more, that is. She pried open the fridge, and looked for something, anything, to eat. She pulled out an old box of Japonese takeout, and gagged at the disgusting smell when she opened it. She tossed it into the nearby trashcan, then continued sifting through the things in the fridge…

...and all that was in there was a few condiments and half a gallon of milk.

“Do ya want a ketchup, mayo, mustard sandwich for dinner?” Grace hollered.

A loud groan from the living room made her realize that was most likely a no.

Grace headed over to the cupboards, and found nothing inside, except a bag of paper plates and a box of stale Saltine crackers. Nothing at all to eat for dinner.

“We got plates, but nothing to eat on ‘em,” she grumbled. “Guess we’ll order out.”

She pulled open a drawer, and grabbed a hoofful of takeout menus she had both collected during her time of living in Manehattan, when days like this would pop up.

“Coco! I’m calling for dinner, whatdya want?”

“Don’t care,” Coco muttered.

“So… how does Draconian Fried Fish sound to you?” Grace teased.

“Order pizza,” Coco deadpanned, in her sick, groggy tone.

Grace rolled her eyes at her friend’s inability to take a joke, and grabbed the phone. She dialed the number of the first pizza place she found, and was greeted by a mare with a very loud voice.

“Uptown Pizzeria, where it’s at your house in thirty minutes or it’s free.”

“Hey, can I get a--” Grace hesitated. “Yo! Coco, what kinda pizza do you want?” No reply came from the living room, leaving Grace to choose all on her own. She skimmed over the menu, only before finally replying. “I’ll take an extra large stuffed crust four cheese with mushrooms on top,” she said. “Ooh, and onion rings! Plus, a side of cheese fries, and bring a 2 liter of ginger ale while you’re at it.”

“Address?”

“The Cityview Apartments, downtown Manehattan,” Grace responded. “Tenth floor, room 56.”

“And any other specifications?”

“Huh?” Grace asked. “Whatdya mean?”

“Don’t ask me, I just take orders, it’s apparently all I’m good for in this department,” the mare on the other line grumbled. “You can have your pizza delivered in a special manner, I suppose?” A huff escaped her. “Trixie has so much more potential than this…”

“Uh, ok, um,” Grace stammered. “Send us your cutest delivery pony, I guess?”

A snort was heard. “Good luck on that one,” she muttered. With that, the line went dead.

Grace hung up the phone, and shook her head. One of the worst possible things about living in the city: everypony was so rude. Then again, she should know -- she was one of them from time to time…

She shuffled into the living room, and noticed her roommate half-asleep.

“Hey, c’mon, marshmellow, stay awake,” Grace spoke up, as she sat down on the couch and nudged her friend. “I got pizza, and we’ll watch some movies. That’ll cheer you up, yeah?” She twirled the DVD rack next to the sofa, and looked through the discs. “Let’s see, how ‘bout Filly Bueller's Day Off? Harry Trotter & The Half-Blood Princess? Nightmare Moon on Elm Street?” She pulled out a case wedged under the bottom of the rack and smiled. “Hey, isn’t The Sun Princess one of your favorites?”

Coco wearily opened her eyes, looked at the cover of the case and nodded.

Grace got up, adjusted the tv on the kitchen counter to face the living room, and popped open the DVD player, sliding the disc in as she started up the movie. She looked at the back of the case, and snorted. “Man, this description is a lie,” she said. “I mean, I’m no nerd, but ya think they would just be honest and say, ‘This movie is Disneigh’s historically inaccurate version of Princess Celestia’s rise to the throne where we switched around some names.’ or somethin’ like that.”

Coco was indifferent, and was too busy already watching the opening sequence with the traditional blue and white Disneigh castle.

Grace sat down next to her friend, about to enjoy the film as well, when … it had begun.

Screaming and banging from all sides of their flat started up. On the left, the two crazy musicians were arguing (or doing ‘other’ things, judging from the slight moans heard), and on the right, in the halfway house where somepony different always lived, the television was too loud, while upstairs, the crazy cat lady was chasing after her dozens of pets…

“We can’t catch a frickin’ break around here!” Grace said exasperatedly. She stumbled out of her seat, marched over to the left wall, and banged on the ridiculously thin walls. “Knock it off, you two! If I wanted to hear that kind of crap, I’d be watching porn!” she yelled.

Suddenly, that side went quiet, but one of them yelled back, “I wish we were doing it!”

Grace snorted, and crossed the room, knocking on the other wall. “Turn it off or I call the cops!”

Then finally, she opened the nearby closet, grabbed a broom and smacked it against the ceiling.

“Get rid of the cats, you crazy witch!” she shrieked.

Frustrated, Grace threw down the broom, plopped back onto the couch and tried her hardest to focus on the animated classic, despite the chaos going on around her.

“Uncle Metamorphosis, when I’m Princess, what will that make you?”

“A griffon’s uncle, my dear Aurora.”

“Heh, you’re so weird.”

“...you have no idea.”

“Meh, I’ve seen this a dozen times,” Grace muttered. “I’m gonna go get cleaned off. Call me in when they start singing or it gets good.” She rolled out of her seat one last time, and made her way into the bathroom to wash whatever muck had gotten onto her from the disgusting incident on the subway.

She loosened her tie, and threw it onto the floor as she pushed aside the shower curtain. She frowned as she noticed the rust forming near the spigot, and hesitantly reached out, turning the knob to get the water started…

...yet nothing came out.

Grace raised an eyebrow, and put both of the faucets on full-blast, but no water was flowing.

“Oh, come on!” she shrieked.

She stomped out of the bathroom, and tried turning on the sink in the kitchen, but nothing. A loud exasperated groan slipped out of her mouth.

“What’s wrong?” Coco asked, looking away from the movie.

“The water isn’t on!” Grace said. “What kind of bullshit is that?”

“Was it working this morning?” Coco inquired.

“Yeah, it was working!” Grace replied. She kicked the side of the sink, and opened the cupboard underneath, looking around. “There’s nothin’ wrong with the pipes, and we just paid the bill.”

“Maybe it’s something with the landlord?” Coco suggested.

Grace snorted. “Old man Lurch probably would pull that kinda stunt,” she growled. “Now what?”

Coco got up from her seat -- obviously now feeling a lot better, with her motion sickness now subsided -- and she crouched down, glancing at the pipes underneath the sink. “Well, I don’t see any sort of problem, and I’m not really a plumber,” she stammered. “Maybe you should call and ask?”

Grace let out a groan. “Man, it’s late, I don’t wanna hear that creep!” she whined.

Coco sighed. “Well… I guess all we can do is wait until it comes back on,” she said.

Grace frowned. “Damn,” she muttered.

A knock on the door was heard, alerting the two of them from their momentary dilemma. Grace headed over, and swung open the door, surprised to see a pizza delivery pony already there.

“Wow, that was fast, “ she complimented.

“That’ll be twenty-five bits, ma’am,” the delivery pony replied, as she held out the box and folded her wings back under her work outfit.

Grace took the box, and lugged it over to the kitchen counter. She rummaged through her saddlebags and found her purse. She was literally scraping for money, only before she let out a frustrated sigh. She looked back, giving Coco a beckoning look. With a small roll of her eyes, Coco went over to her own bag, and took out a hoofful of bits.

“Here ya go,” Grace said, shoving exactly twenty-five bits into the other pony’s hoof.

The delivery pony blew her bright yellow bangs out of her face and hesitated. “Um, miss?”

Grace pushed her glasses up further and raised an eyebrow. “You ain’t getting a tip, seeing how they didn’t follow my special instructions,” she retorted. “Sorry, but you’re not my type.”

“Wait… what?”

“You heard me.”

“Uh, ok,” the delivery pony muttered, as she flew off down the hall and left.

Grace let out a light snort, and softly chuckled. She noticed Coco’s slight glare, and put her hooves up in defense. “What? She wasn’t that cute. Maybe if she dyed her mane or somethin’,” she mumbled. Out of the corner of her eye, she saw something taped on the door, and she ripped it off.

Dear Residents of the Cityview Apartments,

Due to the water main break Uptown, the pipes have been turned off for your safety. They should be turned back on sometime tomorrow evening.

Sincerely,

Founder / Manager / Landlord Lurch

“Great,” Grace muttered sarcastically. “Just great.”

“At least we have dinner,” Coco piped up, as she opened up the box and took out the pizza and other appetizers, making a plate for herself.

Grace gave a half-hearted shrug. “I guess so,” she said as she walked over, and popped open the soda.

Coco brought over the bag of plastic cups, and Grace poured each of them a glass.

“A toast to surviving another day in the city,” she joked, holding up her drink.

“To surviving in the city,” Coco laughed.

The two of them tapped their cups, drinking to friendship, the typical chaos of life, and whatever else came their way in this crazy city. Especially now that loud sirens were heard down below on the streets…

“Now if only I had some vodka to put in this,” Grace grumbled as she sipped her soda.

~ la fin ~

Author's Note:

Aaaand we come to a close, ladies and gents! The day is over for Grace and Coco, and I hope you all enjoyed reading their crazy life. I know I had fun writing it! :) I appreciate each and every favorite, upvote and comment! Thanks for making this featured, too! It means the world to me.

I'll probably write more with this wacky duo sometime in the future, but for now, who knows?!

--The Princess Rarity

Also, yes, I mentioned Ferris Bueller's Day Off on purpose, teehee.