• Published 15th Aug 2014
  • 4,637 Views, 210 Comments

Sonic: Battle for Equestria - Snicket



Something is not right in the land of Equestria. Things sit on a razors edge as tensions run high. As an unknown threat gains strength. The heroes of Equestria are about to face there greatest challenge.

  • ...
33
 210
 4,637

Birds of Prey



The rays of the rising sun begin to peak over the horizon; marking the start of another day. Ponies emerge from their homes and begin their day. Either setting up their stands or opening up one of the many stores that dot the small country town. As young fillies and colts groan in annoyance as they leave their homes and begin their venture to the local school house.

Despite it only being the early hours of the morning, Ponyville is already buzzing with activity.

Except for one specific pony.

Even as the birds begin to sing merrily a certain cyan mare continues snooze comfortably within the confines of her soft fluffy bed. Resting in a very unlady like fashion, Ponyville’s fastest flyer, lays sprawled across the bed on her back. Her head sitting where hooves should be, while her hooves are where most would rest their head. A powder blue blanket drapes over the Pegasus form; doing little to conceal the sleeping pony.

Rainbow Dash continues to sleep blissfully ignorant of world around her; snoring loudly due to her current position. However, a particular smell seems to catch the mare’s attention. Causing her to crinkle her muzzle and lick her lips in response; though it does little to disturb the sleeping pony. It’s the clanking of dishes and hissing of something frying that awaken the mare from her slumber.

Rubbing the sleep from her eyes and smacking her lips. Rainbow Dash rises from her bed and immediately shields her eyes from the accursed sun that shines in from the open window.

“Gah, it’s way too early for you to be out.” The mare says to no one in particular as she turns to her alarm clock. “Huh, I guess not. Still, it’s too early for me,” She mutters as her head makes contact with the pillow. “I have a few more hours.”

A loud hiss followed by the sound of clanking dishes, jostles the mare awake once more.

“What was,” Dash begins, but it trails off as the muffled sound of a familiar voice is heard nearby. “Buck!”

With the grace of an oversized rhino. The cyan mare falls out of bed and smashes into her nightstand as she jumps to her hooves; causing her to hiss in pain as she rubs one of her rear legs with her wing.

“Dash, is that you?” A voice in the distance asks as the clanking suddenly ceases.

“Uh, yeah it’s me.” The mare instantly replies as she continues to run her leg. “What’cha making?”

“Breakfast,” The clanking and hissing resume. “…you hungry?”

Rainbow Dash’s ear twitch at the question as her mouth begins to water at the thought of having something else other than wheat flakes for once.

“Y-yeah sure, I could eat.” The mare shudders out as she starts to process the situation.

“Well then, get down here before it gets cold.” The voice says with a playful stern tone. “Or Tank eats it, whatever comes first.”

The mention of the possibility of missing her breakfast, snaps the mare awaken and causes her mouth to water once more and distracted the mare just enough to crash into a wooden table on the opposite side of her door.

Rainbow Dash lets out another hiss and she hits the same spot on her leg.
“Oh c’mon!” She grumbles turning to the injured appendence.

“You alright up there, Skittles?”

“Yeah, yeah, just uh….” Dash trails off as she glances at the small table she ran into. “…ran into that table in the hallway.”

“You too?” The voice asks as the hissing sound continues. “Someone should move that thing.”

The mare forces a laugh and starts towards the bathroom. “Anyway, I-I’ll be come in a minute. Just got to uh…f-freshen up…yeah.”

“Well don’t take too long. Tank’s been eyeing your food since I set it down.”

Dash says nothing and prompting leaps into the restroom and shuts the door.

“Get a hold of yourself, your making a bigger deal out of this than it really is.” Dash grumbles as she flicks the door shut with her wing. “It’s not like there’s a hidden meaning behind it or something.” She glances at the closed door. “But, still…”

After relieving herself and washing her hooves the mare turns the mirror and glances as her reflection. Her ‘tomboy’ hair cut is looking a bit shaggier than usual, thanks mostly to the wicked bed head she’s got going. Dash attempts to tame the wild mane she’s got going, but any swipe of a brush or a matting of a hoof seems to only make it worse.

“Stupid Dash, now look what you did.”

Groaning at her even more disheveled appearance, the mare turns to the small stand up shower in the corner. “I wonder if he’ll mind if…”
A loud crash breaks the mare away from her pondering and towards the door.

“Damn it! “ A familiar voice shouts from the kitchen. “Skittles, if you want any breakfast, get your butt down here! Tank’s going nuts, and is about to eat all your food!”

Rainbow Dash lets out a small chuckle as she exiting the bathroom. “He must have given the little guy too much sugar.”

***

A certain blue hedgehog, frantically holds back a hyperactive tortoise; barely at arm’s length. With one arm, while the other holds back a plate of food. The miniature helicopter blade spins rapidly as the normally docile pet attempts to bury itself into the mixing bowl.

“Back flying turtle, back!” Sonic exclaims as he continues the crazed shelled creature. “You already had some!”

“It’s actually a tortoise.” A familiar voice says as a certain mare enters the kitchen. “But a lot of ponies make that mistake.”

Sonic sets the plate down and turns to the newly arrived cyan Pegasus. “Well whatever it’s called, it has been bouncing off the walls like Pinkie on a sugar rush!”

Rainbow Dash cringes as the comparison as she begins to trot towards her crazed pet. “Yeesh, that bad?” The blue hedgehog nods. “Why didn’t you say so sooner?”

The blue hedgehog opens his mouth to respond, but is silenced by a blue wing. “Relax bud,
I got this.”

Using her other wing, Dash flicks a piece of toast from the table towards the flying tortoise. Tank catches the piece in its mouth and buzzes away happily to another room. Sonic seems a bit shaken by the act and gives the mare an odd look; who only smirks in response.

“Fluttershy taught me that trick.” Dash boasts as she continues her cocky expression.

“Whatever you say, Dash.” Sonic responds as he shakes his head. “I don’t think I’ve seen him react like that before.”

The mare shrugs as she takes a seat near the table. “Just don’t give him sugar and you won’t have to worry about it.” Rainbow Dash begins drooling again as she eyes the spread laid out on the table. “You made all this?”

“Yep, since it was my turn to cook.” Sonic boasts as he tosses a spatula into the air and catches it. “I figured, I’d try something different.”

Before the mare sits several plates of food on her kitchen table; a massive stack of pancakes take up most of it as they tower over the rest, while a sizable plate of scrambled eggs sits next to it, with a small one of toast is next to that. With a small one of what appears to hay bacon sits off to the side; as if placed on the table as an afterthought.

“That is so cool….I mean it’s alright.” Dash mutters out as she snubs her nose at the spread and turns away. “I guess.”

Sonic frowns as the mare’s response. “Don’t tell me you’re still mad about that.” He takes a seat at the table and begins to dish himself up a plate. “You’re blowing this way out of proportion, Dash.”

“Am I?”

***

-Earlier that evening

Sonic and Luna awaken while both in the confines of the hedgehog’s cloud bed. The lunar princess lets out a small yawn as she turns to her bed mate still within her grasp. The blue hedgehog returns the gesture as he cranks his neck upwards and looks at the moon goddess; who currently has him in a warm embrace.

“I didn’t take you for a cuddler, Lulu.” Sonic jokes as he gives the princess a cocky smirk. “I guess you really can’t judge a book by its cover.”

Luna nods as she gives the hedgehog a smirk of her own. “Neither did we, we’ve only shared a bed with sister till now. She’s never alluded to this particular habit. Though we also agree, one shouldn’t unless they wish to be void of a new experience. For example,” The princess begins as she runs a wing across the blue hedgehog’s back. “One would think these would be sharp and ridged, but it turns out they’re rather soft.”

The hedgehog scoffs as the comment. “Only when not going high speeds, Lulu.”

The moon princess’s playful expression suddenly turns serious. “But on to more pressing matters. We’ve both come to the same conclusion regarding the recent turn of events; regarding the current state of the dreamscape.”

“I was just taking a shot in the dark.” Sonic says with a shrug. “Honestly, I don’t know the rules of that place. So I was just kind of taking a guess.”

“Still, it was more than what sister came up with. She tried to pass it off as a-”

Luna is cut off as a bright flash of light suddenly appearing; consuming the entire room in a blinding light. Sonic ducks behind the alicorn; in an attempt to avoid being blinded. While Luna shields her eyes with an out stretched wing.

As the two turns towards the new arrival, a very distraught sun princess stands in the place the light once was. Void of any of her royal regatta. Celestia flairs out her wings as she turns her gaze the two before her.

“So, this is where you-OH MY FAUST! WHAT IN THE NAME ARE TARTARUS ARE YOU DOING?!”

The sun princess stares as the younger alicorn with a gaped expression. Her sister, the co-ruler of Equestria is currently in a very compromising position with her newest friend and ally; Sonic.

“Sister, it’s not what it looks like,” Luna begins as she gives the elder alicorn a sheepish grin. “There’s actually a logical explanation.”

Celestia raises an eyebrow at the younger alicorn’s plea. “Then enlighten me, dear sister.”

As Luna opens he mouth to explain, the bedroom door burst open; revealing a very annoyed Dash.

“What the buck is going…on!” The mare gulps. “…ah crap.”

Before the mare are the two rules of Equestria, one of which is currently hugging a certain blue hedgehog in fright. As the elder of the two is standing over her. Realizing the position she’s in, Dash instantly drops her harsh tone and bows before the alicorns.

“Rise Miss Dash,” The sun princess begins with a warm smile. “This is your home and we are guests. You don’t have to bow to us.”

The cyan mare reluctantly returns to a standing position and turns her attention back to the princesses. “Ok, as uh as I was saying. What’s going on here?” The Pegasus turns away and scratches the back of her head with a hoof. “I mean if it’s cool that I ask that is.”

Celestia smiles warmly at the nervous Rainbow Dash. “I was just about to learn of that myself.” She turns to her younger sister; still maintaining her calm expression. “You were about to tell me, why you and Sonic are currently sharing a bed at this hour.”

Luna gulps at the ‘request.’ As she knew full well that is was anything but. As her sister was trying to save face by acting calm and was actually ready to snap at any given moment.

“Well you see…” The moon princess begins.

“I was having a nightmare.” A familiar voice jumps in; much to everyone’s surprise. “Lulu was just trying to help.” Sonic adds as he looks up at the two shocked mares.

The solar goddess frowns. “Well that still doesn’t explain why she’s here in the physical form, rather than…”

“It helps to have someone nearby as I ride them out.” The hedgehog turns away in mock embarrassment. “Just ask Twilight.”

Celestia sighs as she places a hoof on her forehead and massages the bridge of her muzzle. “I respect you’re admirable attempts, Sonic. But I know for a fact, that’s not why my sister is here.”

Sonic holds up his hands in defeat. “Alright Sunny, you caught me.” He turns to Luna, who nods for him to continue. “The real reason is…”


***


“I can’t believe you tried to say the princess was your big life-like fluffy pillow.” Rainbow Dash mocks as she takes a bite of her pancake. “I mean, seriously. You couldn’t think of anything else.”

Sonic shrugs in response and takes a drink from his glass of juice. “Hey give me a break; it was all I could think of at the time.” He grins at the mare. “Besides, if I didn’t know better, I’d say your jealous.”

Rainbow Dash starts to cough as she almost chokes on her food. “Pfft me jealous,” She gives the hedgehog a dismissive wave. “As if,”

A serious of loud knocks cuts the two off and stops all further debate on the matter. Sonic wipes his hands on a napkin as he rises to his feet.

“Whatever you say, Skittles.” Sonic says with a chuckle. “It’s as plain as the nose on your face.”

“Yeah, whatever,” Rainbow Dash turns away in an attempt to hide her blushing face. “You gonna just stand there or you gonna get the door?”

Sonic just throws his hands into the air and walks way.


***


Standing atop a massive cloud sits a creature that despite its scary appearance is rather laid back. Even though they possesses several appendages that many would consider dangerous, this individual would rather not resort to using them; unless left with no other choice.

Despite being a well know species, few would take the time to get to know this individual resting on the mass of water vapor. Not out of disrespect, but out of ignorance. Since many ‘think’ they already know who this is; believing that they are same individual that they’ve always been; With even fewer even knowing their name and instead refer to them as ‘them’ or ‘her’.

Had they take the time to asked, they’d know that…

“Gilda, what are you doing here?” A surprised Sonic asks as he opens the brightly colored door.

The griffin chuckles at the question and cranks her head downwards. “I should be asking you the same thing. When did you two shack up?”

“Shack up? What are you-”

A set of frantic hoof steps cuts the two off and prompt them to turn towards the source; standing at the bottom of the stairs is a certain cyan mare.

“Hey Sonic whose at the,” Dash winces in pain as she rubs her injured leg with a wing and then look up at the new arrival. “G-Gilda!”

The griffin let out an amused snort at the mare’s appearance. “A disheveled mane, with a noticeable limp,” Gilda grins and crosses her arms. “Somepony had a fun night.”


***

“C’ mon.”

“No.”

“Please.”

“No!”

“Won’t ya at least…”

A certain apple bucking mare slams her hooves on the kitchen table in an act of frustration; silencing the young filly and rattling the dishes that sit upon it.

“Dang it Apple Bloom, ah already said no!” Applejack closes her eyes and takes a few deeps breaths before continuing. “Ah don’t know why yer so set on this. It’ ain’t gonna happen.”

“Well ah don’t know about that,” An elderly voice pipes in as the young filly silently picks at the food on her plate. “There’s still a chance that it could.”

Applejack grimaces as the elderly mare. “Not you too, granny. Don’t tell me yer the one puttin’ those ideas in her head.”

Granny Smith shakes her head and takes a bite of her food before continuing. “That’s all young Apple Bloom’s. Ah merely just listened to what she hada’ say and ah’d have to agree.”

The wheat colored mare gowns as she places her hat over her face. “And why is that?”

“Well, from what I’ve seen and heard from Apple Bloom here.” She motions to the young filly; who perk up at the mention of her name. “He’s a strappin’ young stallion whose been nothin’ but kind to ya. He’s helped us out of the farm more times than ah can count, and it’s thanks to him that we’ll be havin’ a record turn over this year.”

“Yes but…”

“Let me finish.” The elder mare demands before continuing. “Plus ah’ve seen the way you look at him. The way yer face lights up when ya talk to him or how ya act when he’s around.” Granny Smiths expression goes serious. “Plus, yer not getting any younger, Applejack. Before you know it ya’ll be as old as me and wonder why ya didn’t find yourself somepony. Don’t let this one slip way like ya did with that one from Manehatten.”

Applejack lets out another groan before flipping her hat back on to her head. “Ah can’t believe ah’m having his conversation. “

The young filly springs up to comment, but cuts herself off as a certain red stallion steps into the kitchen.

“Mornin’” Big Macintosh mutters out as he pours himself a cup of coffee.

The elder mare and filly returns the greeting, while Applejack turns towards her older brother.

“Mac back me up on this,” The mare motions towards the other two at the table. “Those two are tryin’ to play match maker with me and…”

“Eeenope!”

Applejack’s ears fold back at the quick rejection. “C’ mon Big Mac, those two have been at it all mornin’ and could really use some support on this.”

The stallion lets out heavy sigh and slams his cup of coffee. “Fine,” He refills his cup and turns to the three mares. “As much as ah don’t agree with your methods, Ah’d have to agree with Granny and Apple Bloom.”

“What?”

Big Mac takes a long drink from his cup and turns to his sister. “Now ah’m not saying ya have to go to some fancy restaurant or anything. Just spend a little time with him and see if anything clicks.” The stallion turns to the elder mare and his youngest sister. “Just do somethin’, or else these two won’t quit.”

Applejack raises an eyebrow at the last part of her brother’s comment. “Were ya listen’ to us?”

“All bucking morning,” The stallion grumbles as he finishes his cup of coffee. “Ah’ve had to listen to you three go at it since before the sun came up.”

The three mares slouch in their chairs as the red stallion’s outburst. Apple Bloom opens her mouth to apologize, but it cut off by a sudden tapping from the other side of the screen door.

“Yo AB, you ready? We gotta go.” A familiar voice calls from the door.

Apple Bloom glances at the clock and leaps out if her chair. “Yeah, just let me grab my bag.” She turns to her older sister and gives her a big grin. ”Don’t forget to ask next time you see him.”

The mare’s grin vanishes as she dodges a piece of incoming toast.

“Go on, git!”




***



“It’s not what it looks like, I swear!” A cyan mare shouts as she waves her forelegs in front of her face. “I just woke up…a-and ran into the table on the way down.”

Gilda rolls her eyes. “Whatever you say, Dash.” She then turns to Sonic. “So tell me, did you guys get any sleep last night?”

The blue hedgehog lets an amused chuckle and crosses his arms behind his head. “Get your mind out of the gutter, Gilda.” He turns around and begins making his way towards the stairs. “If you can do that; Come on up, I just made breakfast.”

Rainbow Dash watches Sonic as he disappears from sight, before turning back to the griffin and giving her a glare. “Really Gilda, that’s what you thought?” She ruffled her wings a bit. “C’mon girl.”

With a dismissive shrug, Gilda glances around the room. “What did you expect? I swing by to see what’s up and…” She points to the empty staircase. “’He’ answers the door.”

“I dunno, but did you really have to say all that?” The mare frowns. “It’s hard enough as it is without you adding your two bits.”

Gilda holds up her talons before responding. “So hold on, you two aren’t…”

Rainbow Dash shakes her head. “Nope,”

“Nor have you two...”

“Gah, buck no!”

“How long has he been saying here?”

“Almost a month now.”

Gilda crosses her he arms. “You like him don’t you?”

“Yeah…I do.” Rainbow Dash looks away, in an attempt to avoid eye contact.

The griffin let out a low growl and flairs out her wings in response. “Then what is the buckin’ problem?”


***


As the rays of the morning sun shine down upon the world below, one small beam passes by the thick foliage and right into a certain dragons face.

Spike lets out a groan as he turns away from the invader of his slumber; only to snap awake when he hears the bustling town around him. With a heavy sigh the dragon flings off his covers and rises from his bed. As Spike makes his way down stairs, he spots a certain lilac cat sitting in one of a bean bag chair; reading a book in one hand and channeling a green flame in the next.

As the stairs creek under the dragon’s weight, Blaze looks up from her book and gives Spike a smirk.

“The day has already begun and you are only just getting up now?”

Spike turns away and scratches the back of his head. “Yeah, I got to sleep in for once. Guess I overdid it a bit.”
“Indeed.” The cat replies as he turns back to her book. “Twilight may go back to waking you up when she does, if you keep sleeping this late.”

The dragon shudders at the thought. “No way, I only just got used to waking up without having to be shaken every morning.”

Blaze says nothing a she turns a page in her book. Spike glances at the green flame the cat is casting with a perplexed look.

“Wha’cha doing?”

“Summoning dragon fire-” The guardian says flatly as she frowns at something in the book. “-or at least trying to.”

Spike looks down at his hands and twiddles with his claws. “Anything I can do to help. I mean I’m the expert on this.”

“Explain how to use the transportation flame.” Blaze looks up from her book. “I can’t seem to make heads or tails of this.”

The dragon gives the cat a smug look. “Oh, that’s easy. Just picture where you want the item to go and it will…”

Spike is cut off as Blaze ignites something with her pyro kinesis and watches as it turns into ash and blows away.

“Who’d you send that-”A loud yelp from the other room cuts the dragon off. “Never mind,”

Blaze ceases casting the green flame as she sets the book down. Letting out a sigh, she scowls in the direction the sound came from.

“It would appear Miss Sparkle is still in her study.” She rubs the bridge of her nose. “How many days has it been?”

Spike lets out a heavy sigh. “More like weeks, she’s only come out to use the restroom or maybe get something to eat.” The dragon motions to a stack of empty plates and cuts sitting by the door. “But that’s only once in a while.”

The lilac cat marks her page and closes her book. And then rises from her chair. “I’ll go talk to her. “

“I doubt she’ll let you in.” The purple dragon states as he begins to gather the discarded dishes and plates. “She’s been like that since…”

Blaze lets out a sigh. “I am aware of that.”

Stepping past Spike as he carries the dishes to the sink; the sol guardian stops before the door of the lavender mare’s study and gives it a few hard knocks.

“I’m busy, can it wait till later.” A voice replies from the other side of the door.

The cat frowns at dismissive comment. “Open the door, Twilight. I need to speak with you.”

“About what?” The voice asks, with a hint of concern.

“Just let me in.”



<b>Next Chapter Preview:</b>
<i>
Twilight: “Well this was unexpected.”

Pinkie: “Oh boy this is going to be so much, fun, fun, fun!”

Rainbow Dash: “Wha’cha talking about Gilda?”

Sonic: “Do I want to know what this is about?”
</i>
<b>Next time:

<i>Sparkle, Sparkle</i></b>