• Published 15th Aug 2014
  • 4,637 Views, 210 Comments

Sonic: Battle for Equestria - Snicket



Something is not right in the land of Equestria. Things sit on a razors edge as tensions run high. As an unknown threat gains strength. The heroes of Equestria are about to face there greatest challenge.

  • ...
33
 210
 4,637

Bark at the Moon

Chapter - 13

Bark at the Moon



“I’m bored,” Pinkie whines from her perch on top of Sonic’s back. “We’ve done everything and now it’s all ‘boring’.” The mare drones as she rests her chin on the former hedgehog’s head.

“You know, if you’re just going to keep complaining. Walking is always an option.” Sonic dead pans as he pushes a puff of the party pony’s mare out of his face.

Pinkie tenses up and begins shifting in place. “N-no you don’t have to do that. I meant the games and attraction are lame. Not being up here, which is like…” The mare begins nuzzling the former hedgehog’s neck. “Like a big adorable fluffy teddy bear that walks.”

Sonic stops dead in his tracks. “Ok, rides over, you just make it weird.” As the werehog kneels down to let the mare off. Pinkie begins pouting and latches onto a large patch of the former hedgehog’s fur.

“I don’t wanna! I’m not going anywhere!”

The former hedgehog lets out a heavy sigh. “C’mon Pinky, I’m not in the mood.”

“I said I don’t…eep” The party mare freezes mid rant as a large hand grabs onto her midsection and lowers her back to the ground. “Aw, no fair.”

As the party pony continues to pout, Sonic pinches the bridge of his nose and lets out a grown. “Pinky you really have to stop with the….”

“Hey you guys coming or what?” A voice shouts in the distance, cutting the former hedgehog off and drawing his attention to the source.

Rainbow Dash looks back at the two with an annoyed look on her face. “I thought we agreed to be civil, Pinky. What gives?”

The party mare covers in mouth in shock. “Cripes, I totally forgot. Now Blaze is going to get mad at me again.”

“Blaze got mad at you?” Sonic inquires as he closes the gap between himself and Rainbow Dash. “About what?”

The speedy pegasus lets out a heavy sigh and leads them towards the others. “I guess we were acting a bit possessive and Blaze explained how ridiculous it was.”

“I’ll say,” Sonic adds with a smirk.

Dash clears her throat. “Anyway, we all agreed to stop acting like that and try to have some fun.”

“Or else what?”

“Fire, lots and lots of fire.” The mare says grimly.

“Fair enough,”

As Rainbow Dash leads Sonic and Pinkie back to the others, they stumble onto rest of the group in varied forms of exhaustion. Fluttershy and Applejack lay curled up on a nearby bench, while a snoozing Rarity leans up against Twilight; who is rubber necking as she looks over a piece or parchment and lazily held in her magic grasp.

Blaze remains the only one still standing as she rolls a small orb of across each one of her fingers, while leaning against an ornate lamp post.

“Hey I found…,” The usually cyan mare begins, but is cut off as both Blaze and Twilight shush her. “I found them.” Dash says in a quieter tone. “So what do we do now?”

“I believe we should call it a night, everyone is exhausted and not much is still open.” Blaze states, still looking down at as the small ball of fire rolls across her hand. “Do we have dwelling for the night or are we supposed to find some of our own?”

Twilight rolls up the scroll she was reading with her magic and levitates it over to Blaze. “I just received this a moment ago, we have a few rooms for the night at the castle. Assuming of course, nopony minds sharing a room.”

“Sharing a room?” Rainbow Dash repeats in an uneasy tone. “How many and why?”

The Sol Ruler unrolls the parchment and looks it over. “It says here that do to the short notice, only four rooms were able to be procured for the evening.” Blaze continues reading. “So that means two per room, unless you guys all want to all stay in one.”

“So somepony gets to stay in a room with Sonic?” Pinkie asks with a joyous expression. “Oh, I so call dibs.”

Everyone still conches face palms/hoofs at the mare’s comment.

“I thought we went over this.” Blaze growls as she removes her hand from her face. “We all agreed to give this nonsenses a rest.”

“Besides, I’m probably not going to have a chance to sleep night.” Sonic states as he looks down at a now distraught Pinkie Pie. “I have to meet up with the princess to make sure they can stop,” He gestures to himself. “This from happening again.”

Pinkie’s eyes widen as if suddenly stricken by some form of realization. “Wait, you guys didn’t think I wanted to do ‘that’ with Spikey? I mean it would be nice if…” The mare cuts herself off. “Not I would try it unless…” She then vigorously shakes her head. “Cripes, I’m just being a silly Pinky today an’t I?”

“That’s one way of putting it.” Rainbow Dash says in a snarky tone.

“Anyways, lets…” A voice in the distance cuts the former hedgehog off mid-sentence.

“I finally found you!” A familiar cream colored female earth pony with a red, orange, and green mane/ tail shouts comes into focus. As the sound of frantic hoof steps comes near. “You wouldn’t believe how long it…” The new comer is cut off as everyone shushes the mare; who screeches to a sudden halt. “You wouldn’t believe how long it took me to find you.” The mare repeats in a hushed tone.

“I’m sorry, but who are you?” Blaze asks as she approaches the now frightened mare. “I don’t believe we’ve met.”

“Not ringing a bell from me either,” Twilight adds a she gives the new comer a flat look.

“Nope, I have nothing. “Pinky Pie, just for the sake of being Pinkie.

The former hedgehog approaching the cowering mare and leans down, so that he’s now eye level with the pony. “Gum Drop?”

The pony now known as gum drop nods and smiles sheepishly. “I’ve been trying to find you for a while. You still owe me for helping you earlier.”

“How the hay did you miss him?” Rainbow Dash asks in annoyance. “I mean look at him,” The mare then gestures to Sonic’s hulking form. “How do you miss that?”

Gum Drop lets out a nervous giggle as shifts in place. “Well you see, I only started looking about an hour ago. Up until a few minutes ago, you were easy to spot in a crown. However, once everything starting closing up, it became harder to find you.”

“Fair enough,” Sonic says with a solemn nod. “Now, that you’ve found me. What did you want in return for helping?”

The mare smiles brightly and pulls out an instant camera. “I’d like a picture and autograph if that’s ok.”

Sonic shrugs and returns to his full height. “Sure no problem, so do want me to kneel down and take it or do you want to…”

“Oh, whatever way feels natural to you works for me.”

“Alright,” With one swift motion the former hedgehog scoops up the mare in his arms (who lets out a little squeak in the process) and holds her at eye level. While Blaze picks up the camera and points it at the two. “Now say ‘cheese’.”

“Cheese,” They both say as the camera flashes and a picture slides out.

Blaze takes the photo and gives it a few good shakes as the image comes into focus. She then passes it off to Gun Drop; who looks it over before hoofing it to Sonic.

“Well that turned out pretty well,” The former hedgehog comments as he looks over the photo. “Now who has a pen?”

“Oh, I do!” Pinkie announces as she removes a rather ordinary looking pen from her mane. “I always keep one in case of emergencies.”

“How did you,” Sonic begins, but cuts himself off and shakes his head. “Never mind, I’m afraid to ask.” He then flips the photo over and begins to write. “To Gum Drop, a radical gal who…” The former hedgehog trails off and looks at the cream colored mare. “Radical doesn’t mean anything bad here does it?” Gum Drop shakes her head. “Alright cool…a radical gal who knows how to party and is willing to help someone in need. Your friend, Sonic.”

As the former hedgehog finishes sighing his name. Gum Drop lets out a happy squeal as she’s passed back the photo. “Oh, thank you. I’ll treasure it always.”

“Glade to hear it, now if you’ll excuse me….” The rest of Sonic’s comment it cut off as he disappears in a puff of blue smoke.

“What the buck!” The cream colored mare exclaims as the pen falls lifelessly to the ground. “What just happened?”

“Luna must have summoned him,” Twilight states with a low grown. “C’mon everypony, let’s pack it up and call it a night.”



~***~


Being part ruler of an entire nation has its benefits. You a say in what occurs within the land you call home. Be it what new laws are passed or what traditions should be continued and which ones should be stopped. Also, let’s not forget the traveling to new lands to strengthen foreign relations. While most other nations will send a dignitary in their place. The sky sisters handle most affairs personally. Be it the ‘all knowing’ Celestia or the newly re-crowned Luna. Who has of late, been handling most matters; in hopes of re familiarizing herself with what has changed since her banishment. However, in recent years, they have been accompanied by the newly crowned Princess of Love; Mi Amore Cadenza, but most just call her Cadance.

However, being in charge doesn’t mean its all fun and games. In fact, to keep everything running smoothly a lot of ‘wrinkles’ have to be ironed out, else they prove to be problematic in the future. Be it stopping a rebellion from a small detached settlement or keeping the trade routes clear between towns and cities. Every once in a great while, a pony or another creature would attempt to pilfer a local caravan in route to a major city. This however, is almost nonexistent today, do an increase in guards patrolling the roads and a series of small settlements; equipped with clusters of watch towers dotting the surrounding area.

And let’s not even start on the ever building ‘mountain’ of paperwork.

Helping rule an entire country has its rewords and challenges. The current session of “Night Court’ being the latter of the two. As the Princess of the Night is forced to keep a natural expression, while a rather snooty bleached while male unicorn noble ‘attempts’ to persuade the alicorn to grant him funding for his ‘next great’ venture…or was it to allow him to build something?

Whatever, the rather pompous stallion was trying to ‘sell’ has been lost to a rather bored princess. Who has long stopped listening and is currently trying to find a repeating pattern on the marble on a nearby wall.

“And as I’ve already stated, necessary funding is needed to ensure that…” The unicorn trails off as he notices the moon princess’s focus is elsewhere. “Uh your highness, what are your thoughts on this matter?”

Luna snaps out of her trancelike state and turns to the now annoyed noble and offers him a small smile. “We apologize, our mind was someplace else. Could you please re-elaborate the details of your proposal?”

The stallion takes a deep breath and mutters something along the line of ‘the alicorn being unworthy of the crown’ to himself and scans over a rather lengthy scroll held in his magic, before continuing, “Ahem, as I was saying do to….” A loud popping noise cuts the unicorn off as something large and ‘furry’ flying past his line of sight and crashing into a stone pillar.

Everyone is seemingly snapped awake by the sudden and abrupt arrival of the mysterious individual. Most begin shuffling around the still present cloud of dust, while others voice there concerns on who the new arrival may be.

With their spears in the ready position, several guards circle ‘disturbance’ and prepare for what possible treat it could be. What occurs next, takes everyone by surprise.

“Wahoo! That was awesome!” A deep voice shouts with in the cloud. “Let’s do it again.”

“Let’s not and say we did.” One of the guards says as he readies his spear. “Who are you and why have disrupted our princess’s night court?”

“Hold on a second,” The voice says again and a massive figure can be seen moving within the now settling cloud. “How’d I do?” Three random pony’s standing nearby each hold up a score card. One reading a perfect ten, another being 9.5, and the last one simply saying ‘call me’ in rather stylized wring as a blue female unicorn holds up the sigh with her magic and waggles her eyebrows suggestively.

“Hun not bad for a first try. I gotta work on that landing.”

“Who are you?” The guard roars as himself and the others pepair to attack.

“I doubt your weapons will have much effect on him.” A new voice says from behind the guards, prompting them to turn around to a rather amused moon princess. ”At most, you’ll just piss him off.”

As the stranger seemingly rises from the floor, an opposing figure towers over the guards and even the princess herself. Most begin to back pedal as the last of the dust clears and a rather imposing werehog stands on the other side of it.

“Yo Lunabell, what’s up?” The former hedgehog ask as he approaches the alicorn. “I usually don’t make house calls, but this time I’ll make an acceptation.”

The guards and spectators part as the moon princess closes the gap between herself and a rather confused Sonic. “We apologize, it was not our intention to summon you here at this time.”

“Then why am I here?”

Luna shakes her head. “We are not sure,” She then looks out a nearby window. “It’s still a few hours before sunrise and the amulet wasn’t designed to teleport anypony so…”

“I’m sure there is a rather riveting explanation of this,” A rather snobbish voice says in a condescending tone. “But we in the middle of a rather important matter before your arrival. So, if you could…go way. That would be great.”

Both Luna and Sonic turn to the rude stallion with mixed expression. The moon princess scowls at the intrusive unicorn, while the former hedgehog merely gives him flat look.

“You’ve got some ball, dude.” Sonic deadpans as he turns to the princess who simply nods and motions him to step aside. “That mouth of yours, is going to get you trouble one of these days.”

The unicorn scoff as the comment and flicks his over stylized mane to the side. “I would never degrade myself and stoop so low, as to take advice from a ‘commoner like you.”

Sonic opens him mouth to resort, but it cut off by an out stretched wing. Turning to its owner, the former hedgehog see a very annoyed alicorn shaking her head.

“Ahem, anyway before I was so ‘rudely’ interrupted,” The stallion begins as he snubs his nose at the werehog. “I was going to layout the thirty crucial steps of my most beneficial plan.”

Everyone present lets out an exasperated grown.

~forty-five minutes later~

“And if you remember what I mentioned in step five, step ten can be….” The unicorn continue to drone on to a rather bored alicorn and an equally annoyed group of others, all waiting for the princess to listen to hear pleas or ideas. “…what leads me to step eleven that…” The stallion trails off he notices Sonic Moon walking along the empty part of the throne room. “What in name of Faust do you think you’re doing?”

“Dancing,” The former hedgehog replies as if the answer was obvious.

“Could you stop?”

“Nope,”

“That wasn’t a request,” The unicorn snaps.

“And this is me not giving a crap.” Sonic replies as he continues to make is way back towards the thrown.

“Obviously a simpleton such as yourself, fails to grasp the importance of this deliberation and….”

The rest of the snooty stallion’s rant is cut off by a loud yawn.

“By the creature, you are boring as hell. Just hearing you talk puts me to sleep.” Sonic then turns to an amused Luna. “I don’t want to step on your toes…hooves…whatever, but do you mind if I help wrap this up? If I have to listen to this pompous wind bag any longer I’m going to lose it.”

Luna gestures to the levitating scroll. “Be our guest,”

As the former hedgehog grabs the scroll out of the unicorn’s magic, said unicorn attempts to refute the decision. But, is stopped by a cold stare from the princess.

“Let’s see here,” Sonic mutters out as he starts reading over the scroll. “Blah, blah, increase wage, yada, yada, yada. For the benefit of…” The former hedgehog looks up from the scroll and scowls at the stallion. “You honestly thing this kind of crap would fly?” However, before the stallion can answer, Sonic tears up the parchment in several pieces and tosses back at him.

“How dare you,”

“Oh I dare, little man.”

Before the noble can continue his berate, the former hedgehog approaches the unicorn and towers over him as he stand at full height. Either through his own delusions or inability to comprehend the situation prior. The once snooty unicorn now cowers at the werehog’s massive height and size. Attempting to save some face and not soil himself in the royal throne room, the stallion attempts to take a regal stance, but fails a low growl escapes the former hedgehog’s lip.

“I-I’m n-not scared of you?” The noble stutters as he tries to put on a brave face. “Y-your parlor tricks won’t work on me.”

Two massive hands slam down on left and right of the floor of the unicorn, causing he entire floor to shake and several others to almost lose their balance.

“You just don’t know when to quit, do you?” Sonic ask with a deep grown. “Get out of my sight you little worm. Before I get angry, you won’t like me when I’m angry.”

The unicorn snubs his nose at the threat and turns to the ebony alicorn. “Princess, could you kindly tell your ‘pet’ to take a step back. He’s going to ruin my suit.”

Just as those words leave the snooty nobles mouth, the ground begins to shake as moon princess spring from her seat. Lighting seems to crackle in this stance as the sound of thunder seems to resonate within the castle itself. Inciting the ones remaining to flea in fright.

“YOU DARE TO SAY SUCH SLANDER ABOUT MY KNIGHT?” Luna roars as she approaches the stallion.

“Oh now you’ve done it, you just couldn’t keep your big mouth shut.” Sonic mutters to the unicorn as he side steps, so that the princess can pass by.

“YOU ARE FOREVER BANNED FROM THIS CASTLE ALONG WITH ANY OF YOUR ROTTEN KIN.”

“B-but, but,” The stallion shudders as he attempts to plead with the princess. “I can’t be banned, what will…”

“SILENCE! YOU HAVE TO THE COUNT OF THREE TO GET OUT OF MY SIGHT, ONE, TWO…”

The stallion lets out a girlish scream and scurries out of the throne room. Leaving the room now empty; save for the moon princess and former hedgehog.

As Luna begins to calm down and regain her composure and takes a few deep breaths.

“Holy shit, that was awesome!” Sonic exclaims as he looks at the surroundings. “How’d you do that? I mean I know your powerful and all, but shouldn’t we be neck in guards about now?”

“It was all an allusion, Sir Sonic. Had we actually unleashed that kind of power, Canterlot may have fallen straight off the mountain.”

“Yeah, building this place on the side of a mountain instead of on top of it, never made much sense to me.” Sonic mutters as he scratches the back of his head. “What holding it up anyway?”

“Magic,” Luna states flatly.

“Riiiiggghhhttt, I’m calling shenanigans on that, but that’s a debate for another day. What I gotta know what set you off like that? I mean, I know the guy was a dick, but I don’t think I’ve seen you that pissed off before.”

Luna approaches the former hedgehog and places a wing on his shoulder. “He insulted a good friend of mine. One that I…” The princess trails off and gives Sonic a light kiss. “…care for very much. To do such a thing is punishable by banishment…from the castle.”

Sonic opens his mouth several times as he tries to form a response to what just happened. “I’m flattered, but what happen to not wanted to start anything?”

“Just because we wish not to pursue anything now, doesn’t mean we don’t want to later.”

The former hedgehog raises an eyebrow at the princess’s statement. “What does that even…”

Whatever was planned next, is cut off as the door to the throne room bursts open and very winded Celestia stands on the other side of it. “Am I too late to witness the transformation?”

“Nope, it’s linked to the sun. So we’re just waiting on you.”

The sun princess frowns at the snarky remark as she motions the two to follow.

“Come along now, the sun won’t raise itself.”

“Not here anyway,” Sonic mutters as he flows the alabaster alicorn



~***~

Stepping forth onto a small platform that dons a browns statue of her cutie mark. The princess of the sun takes a regal stance and addressing a rather sizable crowd that has gathered around the three; most of them still in there costumes from earlier.

Everyone falls silent as Celestia takes a familiar stance, so many have seen before. The princess takes a regal pose, lifts from the platform and into the sky, just as sun rising in the distance. Prompting the crowd to cheer and stamp there hooves. However what comes next, causes everyone to give pause.

With the start of the new day, the curse of the werehog is lifted and the ‘slayer of the evil alicorn’ starts to glow in a blinding light; followed by a massive puff of purple smoke. Clearing for everyone to see a certain blue hedgehog now standing next to the platform.

The crown goes into a frenzy as Sonic works out a few kinks in his neck and then waves to the crowd.

“Ah, it’s good to be back.”


Off near the back end of a crowd, a female regasus, a male unicorn, and a small female earth pony suddenly smile in a way not possible for a normal pony. Rows upon rows of razor sharp teeth protruding from there mouths.

"Target Acquired." The three say in unison.


Next Chapter Preview:


???: "Welcome to are fair city princess, I wish our meeting was a pleasant one."

Luna: "For we are here and were are there."

???: "Well that's something you don't see everyday."

???: KILL IT WITH FIRE!!!


Sanguis Rose