• Published 10th Jun 2014
  • 458 Views, 1 Comments

(Commission)- Keys to the Missing - DuskShadowBrony



(Commission)- Ponies all around Equestria go missing. It's up to June and the Mane Six to bring them back.

  • ...
 1
 458

Chapter 2- Lock 1: Zecora

Author's Note:

Sorry for this taking so long. My schedule is really, really packed.

Chapter 2- Lock 1: Zecora

“And that pretty much sums it up.” Twilight finished, to a stunned-looking Mayor.

“Well then…” she said weakly, adjusting her glasses. “Where are we headed again?”

“Zecora’s home.” June answered, turning to look over at them. “She should have good knowledge on strange things. She always seems to understand these weird kinds of spells. I’m sure if we bring her back, we can get a lot of things done.”

“We’ll have to find her key, though.” Twilight said as the group entered the darkened forest, her horn lighting the way. “Remember? Timeline said not all would be as easy.”

“Stay together, everypony.” Mayor Mare said, her normal commanding personality surfacing. She looked around nervously. “If one of us were to get separated…”

“Oh, relax.” Rainbow rolled her eyes. “We’ve been in here dozens of times.”

“It… It still creeps me out sometimes.” Fluttershy answered softly, almost screaming as a bug dropped down in front of her.

“Eek! A bug!” Rarity jumped away from it. “That’s what I hate about this place! It could use a good cleaning!”

“Focus on the task, girls.” Twilight reminded them. “We’ve got to get to Zecora’s.”

The group moved in silence through the dark, damp forest, eventually reaching the odd little hut fashioned from a dead tree. “If it wasn’t creepy already, it is now.” Rarity muttered, pushing the door open with a hoof. The interior was still lit with various glowing objects as the ponies walked inside.

“See anything that stands out?” Twilight asked, looking over at June.

The Earth Pony took some time to scan the area, her sharp eyes roving over every item in there. She eventually pointed at the Poison Joke.

“The Poison Joke? That darn plant?” Applejack frowned. “Why that?”

“Isn’t it obvious?” Twilight answered. “This is what defined her. When she cured us, she was accepted by everypony. This is how she made her friends. Timeline said not everypony would be easy, but this-” She tried to pick it up with her magic, but the blue flowers crackled with some sort of black lightning, dissipating her magic. “Wh-what?”

“Didn’t I say?” Timeline was in the doorway again, watching them with his mysterious eyes. “Not everypony is so easy. This one in particular has a lock on her key.”

“How does that even make sense?” Twilight asked desperately.

Timeline ignored her question. “You found her primary key. But you must find a secondary key to break the lock on the primary key. Some ponies, depending on how they are, could have many more locks. You must find all the locks and keys for the one you are trying to save.”

“But we can’t possibly find them all!” Twilight looked back at him.

“Never said you could.” he answered, shrugging.

“So- so what are you saying? We just forget some ponies?” June asked. “Just pretend they never existed?”

“Technically, that’s how it is now, but I know what you’re asking.” Timeline answered. “But… no. There are other ponies with the Seeker ability. That’s what you have, June. You are a Seeker. Find other Seekers, and spread over the land, to rescue those who were lost.”

“So it’s not just us then?” Twilight asked with a note of hope. “There are others out there?”

“Of course.” Timeline answered with a small smile. “You just have to find them. Good luck.” He ignored the additional questions they shouted after him as he turned and vanished into the darkness of the Everfree Forest.

“Then we should split up.” Twilight looked at the assembled group. “Two to three a group?”

“That sounds like a plan, sugarcube.” Applejack agreed.

“All right. I’ll stay with June and the Mayor. Applejack, could you go with Rarity? Rainbow, mind teaming up with Fluttershy? You two can cover the skies. We’ll meet up at sunset at Town Hall.”

The mares mumbled in assent, breaking off into their respective groups.

“What could the secondary key be?” June asked, trying to think. She looked around the hut but nothing else stood out to her.

“Then it has to do with when before she came here.” Twilight answered. “But nopony knows anything about her past. Nopony really even asked.”

“Didn’t little Applebloom come over here on a regular basis?” the Mayor spoke up. “I’m sure Zecora’s shared stories with her.”

Twilight thought for a while, then nodded. “Yeah. That would make sense. We should probably find Applebloom first, then. Too bad we can’t ask Applejack to look for Applebloom’s key. She’s not a Seeker.”

“Then let’s head to Sweet Apple Acres.” June headed to the door. “Come on, no time to waste.”

* * *

“So this is Applebloom’s room, if I remember right.” Twilight looked around. “See anything, June?”

“No.” she answered simply, after taking her time to search, opening the cabinets and looking under every crevice. “I don’t think it’s in this room.”

“Well, it’s going to take a while to search the entire farm.” Twilight sighed. “I was HOPING it would be her bow or something but…” she gestured to the massive pile of bows in the closet. “That’s not exactly helping.”

“Agreed.” June stepped out of the room. The Mayor closed the door behind them.

“What now?” the Mayor asked. “We can’t just sweep the entire farm.”

“I don’t know.” June answered with a sigh. “Give me some time to think.”

The group moved down the stairs, walking through the groves while they thought. At least half an hour passed before June kicked a tree in frustration. “I’ve got NOTHING!” she snapped bitterly, wincing as a few apples hit her on the head. She looked up and saw an old ribbon tied to an upper branch. It looked like one Applebloom would wear, just worn down from the weather. Her eyes lit up. “I’ve got it! Applejack was talking to me about this one time when I was working on the farm! Applebloom loved to climb trees. This must be the very first tree Applebloom climbed! Applejack was saying how Applebloom made her way up the tree, and tied her hair bow on it to mark her accomplishment!”

Twilight smiled. “I was there when that happened. Applebloom bragged for days on end how she even beat Granny Smith’s record!” She took the ribbon down with her magic, passing it to June. “Is that it?”

Her question was answered by a loud ‘Hey!’. They turned around to see the little filly staring at them. “What’s the big idea, untying my ribbon like that?”

Comments ( 0 )
Login or register to comment