• Published 10th Jun 2014
  • 28,417 Views, 1,487 Comments

Revenge is a Dish Best Served Cold - Dropbear



After being banished by Celestia for his misdeeds, the alien Emperor of the Crystal Empire is back... and out for revenge.

  • ...
82
 1,487
 28,417

All Work And No Play...

“This cannot be allowed to progress any further! We must take action against the Crystal Empire and punish the creatures responsible for these heinous crimes!”

Celestia maintained a strong face while the assembled nobility voiced their support for Hard Line’s call to arms, the vast majority of the court supporting the motion.

“First they take over the Crystal Empire and subjugate the helpless citizens, they fight wars and then riot and injure our guards. Then, they directly attack Equestria itself, robbing our treasury like simple bandits and then abducting Princess Luna! The creatures controlling the Crystal Empire need to be dealt with severely, so I move to mobilise our armies and gather our allies! If the Crystal Empire won’t listen, then we’ll make them listen!”

More shouts of agreement filled the halls, Celestia glancing towards the few loyal supporters by her side before focusing back on Hard Line.

‘Naïve fool,’ she thought while the nobility began to discuss the exact nature of their decree. ‘Does he really think that the Crystal Empire will just give up if we threaten them?’

“That’s not good.” She looked down to her left, Captain Bastion frowning at the ongoing proceedings. “Ten bits says he calls for draft to be initiated, and another ten that they’ll all agree to it without question.” Celestia didn’t take the bet, she knew the chances.

“I can still order them not too, it would cause an immense uproar but it would prevent any rash military actions.”

“You could,” agreed Bastion with a nod. “But I know for a fact that Hard Line won’t back down and will hammer you for the next year about it. This is why politicians should not be able to decide on matters such as this. All they do is try and increase their own power and wealth.”

Celestia sighed. “I know, but that’s the price I pay to keep them happy. Still, there is one thing we can do.”

“Oh?”

“We give them what they want,” she whispered with a sly smile. “But we… take the proper time to ensure that we’re ready for any possible confrontation.”

“I can probably stall them for a few weeks if I ‘double-check’ the draft laws to make sure they’re still up to date,” Bastion offered. “Then, of course, I’ll need a month to organise the appropriate amount of guards to oversee the recruitment and training progress. There is still the issue of what we’re actually going to do about this mess, however.”

“I’m working on one plan,” she replied softly. “First we need to ensure that Luna and her guards are safe from any retaliation. I’ve found a spell that should do what we need, but it carries a massive risk.”

“Do you need anything from me?”

She thought for a few moments, making up her mind with a frown. “Yes, actually. I need Twilight Sparkle to be escorted to the old castle in the Everfree forest tomorrow morning, I shall require her assistance in securing an artefact. Then, we will need a chariot and an escort of guards to fly us to the edge of the Crystal Empire.”

Her loyal Captain nodded, getting up to leave his seat. “Very well, Princess. I’ll organise everything immediately.”

“Thank you.”

She watched Bastion leave the meeting hall before turning back to observe Hard Line once again take the centre podium.

Compared to this, a mission to the hostile Crystal Empire was actually welcome.


“Here you go, Your Highness.”

Chrysalis frowned but still took the goblet of water from the drone serving her, the changeling remaining still with the tray of drinks balancing on his back. She leaned back in her chair and took a sip, continuing to grimace despite the refreshing taste of the crystal-clear liquid.

Currently staying in a large tent, she had declined the Emperor’s offer of a house and instead rested with her loyal subjects out in the fields. After the conversation with Reflection, she wasn’t going to tolerate even being within twenty body lengths from the self-righteous upstart. To think that her own daughter would turn on her!

She glared down at the cup held in her magic, the gem-encrusted gift just another mockery in her eyes. The Emperor had acted like it was a small gift, waving off her protests that it seemed much too extravagant for a simple drinking cup.

‘They’re doing it on purpose,’ she glowered while taking another sip. ‘Chalmers and Reflection, working together to undermine my rule.’ Her glare increased when she thought of the changelings that had disappeared from the camp over the night, certain that already there were deserters lulled by the promise of life in the Crystal Empire. In the future they would be dealt with, but for now there was not much that she was able to do.

“Thank you,” she murmured, placing the empty cup back on the tray. “I am no longer thirsty. Fetch Commander Clicks for me.”

“Yes, Your Highness.” The drone retreated out of the tent, Chrysalis going over her words with another glare.

‘Did I just thank a drone, for the chance to serve me no less? All of this love must be getting to me.’

Hoping that there’d be no further slip-ups, she had to be content with awaiting the arrival of her military commander. Clicks had interacted with the alien ruler the most, as well as having been treated to a view of the Crystal Empire’s military practices and equipment. In her mind, that had been a very misguided move on the part of her opponents, but since it benefited her she supposed that she could let it go.

The approaching trotting of hooves approached her tent, then stopped outside the flaps. “Your Highness, you wished to speak to me?”

“Enter,” she allowed, Commander Clicks trotting in to stand in front of her makeshift throne. He saluted and then bowed, Chrysalis rolling her eyes. She was not in the mood for the usual protocols at the current time, waving her hoof as a signal for him to rise back up. “Commander, I desire some more detailed information from you.” She raised an eye, unable to resist a chance for some fun. “That is, if you have recovered from the embarrassing circumstances you found yourself in two nights ago?”

Clicks blushed green, stammering as he tried to answer. “I-I had a rough morning, My Queen, but I assure you that I am fit for service once more.” He tried to smile, rubbing the back of his head with a foreleg. “You must understand, I was merely trying to blend in to extract more information from the-“

“Clicks,” she interrupted. “You got drunk and had to be removed by guards of a rival nation, do not attempt to lie to me.” Still, she couldn’t resist a small smile. “It was a decent try, anyway. However, I did not call you here to discuss your wellbeing.”

He bowed again. “Thank you for your forgiveness.”

“Yes, yes,” Chrysalis muttered before tapping her hoof on the chair’s armrest. “Now, given the… issues over the last two days, now is the time that I want you to tell me about the Crystal Empire. You can start with their military strength.” She didn’t like the sombre look that appeared on Click’s face at her request.

“It’s powerful, my Queen. While they have a lesser amount of dedicated troops, all are equipped and trained exceedingly well. Their Captain told me of their previous battles, and a number of their soldiers showed me their battle scars. They are ponies, but they are far from soft-hearted.” He took a breath before continuing. “As you likely have already noticed, they are primarily armed with the spear-axes and swords, with a number of powerful crossbows also. In addition, they have constructed deadly war-machines that fire bolts tipped with magical munitions. All of these have been tested in the heat of battle, and they train daily.”

“I see,” Chrysalis nodded, frowning at the information. It was worse than she had estimated. “And the more pressing matter, the traitors?”

“Numerous. Apparently after the Equestrians occupied the city, the amount of changelings seeking to enter the Crystal Guard doubled. The ratio is about one third, the traitors serving mostly as scouts, ranged attack, and light forces. They showed me a tactic where a group of ponies would form a wall with their weapons and some traitors would fire from within.” Clicks narrowed his eyes. “It has apparently proved deadly, and I do not doubt it. In addition, the armour made for changeling troops is strong and light, the traitors are a great threat indeed.”

He was waiting for an answer, but she didn’t give him one. It was clear that attempting to compete with military strength wasn’t an option, but luckily she had plenty of others. Manipulation was key, and with a growing grin she figured out a way to get her spies into the inner circles of the rival leadership. Her smile wide, she looked back down at Clicks and stopped tapping her hoof.

“The crystal ponies, and traitors, they are loyal to the Emperor are they not?”

“Extremely,” Click tilted his head. “And that’s another problem. It’ll be incredibly difficult to convince any to work for us, crystal pony or changeling.”

“That’s not what I’m thinking. Tell me, Click, the Emperor seems rather fond of you, doesn’t he?”

“Well, I would say fond, but he doesn’t appear to be threatened by me.” He seemed to catch on, shaking his head at the idea. “But Ma’am, I’m afraid that I’m still carefully watched while around him-“

“I wasn’t talking about you, I was suggesting that we have some… ‘deserters’ break off to join the Empire, deserters who’ll have skills related to research and governance.”

“You’re suggesting that we plant scholars into their government as spies?”

She smiled at him. “Yes, I am. The Emperor has already displayed his fondness for changelings, and it’s just ripe for exploitation.”

Click shuffled on his hooves, her smile dropping when she sensed doubt from him. “Click? I can tell that you’re hiding something.”

Immediately he froze, before wincing. “Forgive me for asking this, but why are you so intent on spying on the Crystal Empire? If we get caught, then we’re going to be thrown out for sure, or worse.”

Chrysalis laughed, waving a hoof in dismissal. “Caught? Please, with all of the changelings in the city already, how are we going to get caught? You worry far too much, Click. I have this matter under total control and this Chalmers is too trusting for his own good.”

“And what of the other humans? That one in black seems to always be watching everyone closely, and the one in white is just plain creepy.”

“I know,” she agreed with a low voice. “They are both a concern, the one named ‘Elijah’ especially. There is the reek of something around him, although I am unable to put a name to it.”

Click shivered. “You noticed it as well?”

“Of course I did,” Chrysalis snapped, before glaring again. “And of course he is the one that is going to be keeping an eye on us while we are away in the Griffon lands.”

“We could always arrange an… ‘accident’?”

“Possibly, although I doubt it will be easy.” She raised a hoof to her chin in thought, leaning back and nodding. “But your idea has merit, continue to think of ways in case we need to be rid of him. Now, be gone, I wish to rest.”

Click bowed before retreating from the tent, leaving Chrysalis to sit and brood.

“Yes,” she muttered to herself. “I may have need of a number of ‘accidents’…”


“That’s looking a little better.”

Reflection took a second to re-ink the quill she was using, before returning to the binder of parchment she was working on. A few final strokes finished off her plan for the decorations, her promised and upcoming hatchday party at the forefront of her mind. She had been sitting alone in their bedroom since the morning court had ended, Nigel having gone off to examine the construction of the city wall. He had been a little disappointed that she wanted to stay behind, but it had been her only option.

After all, her project was a secret even to him.

In truth, the binder full of decoration ideas, entertainment plans, guest lists, and carefully drawn layouts wasn’t for the hatchday party that Nigel was planning to throw for her in a week and a half’s time.

It was for the wedding that she had insisted they didn’t need.

It had pained her to have lied to him, but she was still unsure as to whether the ‘W’ word would put him off his promise to wed her. So she had resorted to planning it in secret, keeping it to herself and hoping that she would have it all ready by the time he planned to announce their marriage plans. If she presented it to him all ready to go, then it could only increase the chances of him agreeing to it.

If all else fails, she was confident that she could pull off a sorrowful gaze and guilt trip him into it, but that wasn’t the preferred option. Her dream was for it to be a wonderful day for both of them, preferably a day without Orthodox and Elijah.

“Knock knock!” Reflection scrambled to close her binder, Sparkling Scroll entering through the door and trotting over to peer over her shoulder. “Hey, what are you working on?”

“Nothing,” she quickly explained. “Just… stuff.”

“Ah,” Sparkling said with raised eyes, her tone and smile showing that she wasn’t convinced in the slightest. “So, why are you up here and not with the Emperor?”

Reflection shrugged, forelegs still protectively around her binder. “I just wanted some time alone, you know, to think and relax without having everyone’s eyes on me.” Sparkling nodded, taking a seat on the end of the bed. When she took her saddlebag filled with parchments off, it was a sign that she was intending to stay a while.

“So, Reflection, we haven’t really been talking as much as we used to so I’d thought I’d say hello.”

“I know,” she replied, swinging around on the chair to face Sparkling with a smile. “I’ve just been caught up with everything that’s been going on. Griffon Emperors and Empresses, Chrysalis showing up-“

“The usual?” Reflection couldn’t help but laugh at that one, admittedly it was quite on the money. Sparkling grinned like a fool, before looking behind her at the still unmade bed. “Rough night?”

“In a way,” Reflection kept it coy. “Although the maids did have some interesting stories to tell me about the fact that you haven’t slept in your own bed for a week, and there were some very strange sounds coming down the hallway the other night. From Strategy’s room, no less.” Sparkling’s wide eyes prompted her to push on. “Strange too, those rumours that you and him being in the laundry early in the mornings with piles of sheets and-“

“Okay, okay!” Sparkling hushed, her eyes going towards the still open door. Reflection smirked, her horn lighting up and a flash of green shutting the door. A sigh came from Sparkling, the Emperor’s personal assistant tapping her hind legs against the end of the bed. “Yes, so we may be closer than we try to show.”

“Pfft,” Reflection dismissed. “Really? You’re both all over each other constantly.”

“We try to show,” Sparkling repeated before fixing her with a stare. “Also, you’re one to talk.”

“Fine, okay I admit it, we’re both guilty. You started it.”

Sparkling placed a hoof over her heart and raised her snout into the air. “I never, all I did was make one teeny-tiny comment about your messy bed and that was it.” The crystal pony then stopped joking, raising a hoof in the air as if she had just remembered. “Oh, so enough of this teasing each other, I was actually here for a reason.”

“Go on.”

“As you probably know, Strategy is spending the whole day with Agent James and the soldiers. We haven’t really had the chance to talk with all of the drama going on, so I thought we could get some lunch at a city café and have some ‘mare-time’. I know you don’t like eating food, but there’s this place next to the markets that does all kinds of juice.”

Reflection brightened at the suggestion, nodding her head with a smile. “Sure, I’d love to!”

“Great,” Sparkling replied, placing her saddlebag back on. “I’ll head down and put this away, meet you at the main entrance in ten minutes?”

“Works for me, just remember that if we’re going to talk then we can’t exactly share this sort of stuff in public.”

Sparkling, already trotting for the door, shot her a grin. “Why, Reflection, I’d never even consider doing such a thing. See you downstairs!”

Reflection shook her head once Sparkling had gone, leaving the desk to try and find a place to hide the binder.

Those plans had taken a backseat at the current time.


“So, as you can see we’re making good progress.”

Nigel nodded, Strategy pointing out different spots around the half-built wall. Around them toiled crystal guards and civilians alike, great stone blocks cut from a quarry in the nearby mountains being hauled up via wooden cranes. Occasionally a team of four crystal unicorns would fuse a number of differing gems into the stone blocks, the exact nature of the enchanted gems unknown to him.

“Yes, it’s a shame we’ll be losing all of those workers so soon.” Nigel glanced over towards the changelings as he spoke, honestly unable to tell which ones were citizens and which were loyal to Chrysalis. “They work fast.”

“Just think of what the mines will bring in, Emperor, it will be more than enough to make up for it.”

“I know Strategy, Iron’s been lamenting the metal ration he’s been placed under. The sooner we get more materials the better, I suppose.”

Strategy paused and gestured for him to follow, Nigel obeying and continuing on while Strategy led him around the corner of the stonecutter’s workshop. Strategy was glancing around, and Chalmers got the impression that his captain was aiming to talk away from any changelings. They didn’t stop until they had reached a vacant storage shed, far away from any of the activity. Both waited until a team of six changelings finished flying by overhead, a large block of stone suspended beneath them with ropes.

“Okay Strategy, what’s so important?” Nigel leaned up against the wooden shed wall, waiting while Strategy finished making sure there were no eavesdroppers.

“It’s about the mining business, Emperor.”

“Ah-ah, Strategy, remember the rules?”

The stallion rolled his eyes before continuing. “Nigel, I don’t trust Chrysalis one bit. I’m all for helping out her subjects, but we should really think about the risk of betrayal.” Strategy glanced around again. “I know that others also have their doubts, and Lady Reflection shared some very concerning things regarding the Queen.”

Nigel pinched the bridge of his nose and sighed. “Look, Strategy, I wouldn’t take much of what Reflection says about Chrysalis at face value. Those two have been constantly at each other’s throats, I’ve seen both of them act unreasonable, and Reflection hasn’t exactly helped to foster good relations if you get my drift. Chrysalis is, understandably, pissed at losing what she sees as power to us. However, I know that we currently hold the high ground over her, we’ve already had another twenty-three leave her group to join us.”

Strategy nodded, but wasn’t giving up that easily. Nigel could see that he was genuinely worried, the stallion shifting anxiously on his hooves. “I realise that we have her cornered, especially with the threat of enticing more of her subjects away from her, but a cornered enemy is one that knows they have few options. Chrysalis just oozes malice, and I personally wouldn’t trust her to manage a store let alone her own mini–country.” Finishing voicing his concerns, Strategy sat down and looked up to him for an answer.

“You make good points,” Nigel granted. “I can understand your concerns, I have the exact same feelings about her.”

“You do?”

“Absolutely, which is why I have put certain measures in place in case of… issues that may arise.”

“I take it that you mean Researcher Elijah?” Strategy guessed, correctly. “If so, then I don’t doubt his loyalty, I’m just curious as to how capable he’ll be if something does happen.” Nigel raised an eye at that, a smile growing on his face. Strategy must have taken it as a sign to justify his answer, the stallion raising a placating hoof. “I’ve realised that he must have some ability, but he does appear to be incredibly bookish and, forgive me for putting it bluntly, unbalanced.”

Nigel sighed and searched around for a clean spot to sit down, before giving up and just sliding down against the wall to sit on the grass. Patting a spot beside him, he waited for Strategy to also sit, the captain eyeing him curiously. “So, I guess I probably should let you in on some information,” he admitted. “Information which I want to stay confidential, understand?”

“As always.”

“Good.” This time, it was he that checked to make sure they were alone. “Now, this may come as a shock to you, so don’t say I didn’t warn you. Out of all of us; Elijah, me, Orthodox, and James, Elijah is hands down the most dangerous.” Immediately, doubt showed itself on Strategy’s face. “I know, he seems mostly harmless, but perhaps you need to know a little about the department he works in for it to sink in. Tell me, Strategy, how much do you know about the forces commonly called ‘magic’?”

“Not a lot,” Strategy admitted. “I’m not a unicorn, so it’s never been a big focus for me. I do know that it can be used for incredibly amazing feats, good or evil.”

Nigel chuckled at that, reaching out to pat his captain on the armoured shoulder. “Ha! You and me both. You know, I think it’s easy to ignore or scoff at magic when you’re surrounded by technology which is seen as magical. But you ponies and changelings are surrounded by magic every day, just look at the city itself. Hell, I’ve even seen Reflection use it like it was nothing.” Focusing back on topic, his good mood fell. “However, you’re right in saying that there’s ‘evil’ magic as well. Normally I’d scoff at calling something evil, but there’s some stuff that man should never have discovered.”

Strategy remained silent, however Nigel could see the silent agreement in his eyes. He guessed that personal experience with magic used for evil purposes was not something that the stallion lacked.

“All of this leads to our main point, and that is Elijah.” Nigel drummed his fingers on his leg, wondering just how much he should let slip. “Now, you’ve no doubt heard him bang on about how he’s ‘Lead Researcher’ at a place called ‘OEMAD’.”

“I have,” Strategy nodded. “Not that I really know what it means.”

“Well, ‘OEMAD’ stands for ‘Occult Experimentation and Military Application Division’, and don’t ask me much more about it because I myself don’t even know what they do.” He gave Strategy a pointed look. “And considering that my job is to know things, that should highlight how serious those OEMAD guys are. I’m talking enough political clout that an OEMAD researcher can commandeer entire military fleets and armies without any prior approval, and that they’ve got their own little slice of deep-space somewhere unknown to anyone not in OEMAD.

It’s known that whenever there’s something arcane discovered or captured, an OEMAD agent won’t be far behind to snatch it up and carry it away. They’ve even been known to raid immense enemy and even allied fortresses to get their mitts on a magical artefact. There’s also rumours of OEMAD consorting with things such as demons and devils, trading captives for knowledge or other dark goods and services.”

“That’s… horrible,” Strategy shuddered, Nigel not liking the idea either. “It’s only rumours, though. Those things don’t exist do they?”

“No,” Nigel answered, before muttering to himself. “Although I have seen some strange stuff around him.”

“Emperor?”

“Ah, nothing,” he covered, before continuing. “Anyway, long story short, OEMAD are people you don’t want to get involved with. We’re talking assassins that can leave you as a mindless husk, strike teams that can turn entire continents into desolate wastelands without a weapon, and scientists that wear all manner of unscientific symbols while being swathed in a foul presence. Elijah is one of them, hence why I don’t want this repeated to anyone else.”

Strategy shook his head, a frown on his face. “I’m sorry, but we’re talking about the same Elijah?”

“Yes, yes we are. He’s ex-ISA, a great sharpshooter, but he is indeed OEMAD. Trust me, Strategy, I’ve seen some of the stuff he can do. It’s bad ju-ju, that’s for sure." He left it there, both he and Strategy sitting and thinking about what had been said.

“Is he a threat?”

Nigel laughed, although it was really more of an attempt to relax Strategy than a result of actual humour. “A threat to you? Well, I’ll be honest. Elijah could kick my arse without breaking a sweat, but out of all of us he’s the least likely to resort to violence. He’s incredibly hard to irritate, and I can assure you that he’s got no malice for changelings or ponies.”

“That’s a relief,” Strategy admitted, turning his head briefly to glance back at the wall construction. “I’m sorry for taking up all of your time with these questions.”

“It’s no problem. After all, you are my guard Captain so you deserve to know this sort of information. Really, I should have told you sooner.” Chalmers shrugged, making up his mind. “So, do you want me to tell you about James and Orthodox? I’ll try to keep it short.”

Strategy nodded intently, so he continued.

“First off is James. He’s with the Psionic Division and also ex-ISA, but our departments are pretty tight-knit. I mean, most of their agents transferred after a few years with us, so that’s understandable. Out of us four, he’s probably the more reasonable.” He cracked a smile, turning to Strategy with a grin. “Also, he’s the one true gentleman amidst sea of rabble.”

“I have noticed that he seems, well, more…”

“Sophisticated?” Nigel finished for him.

“Yes, not that you’re not, of course.”

“Forget about that, Strategy,” Chalmers countered. “Don’t feel the need to sugar-coat it, I know I’m a scummy bastard.” Strategy grinned, Nigel leaning back and continuing on. “Anyway, James is pretty much the watching, waiting, ‘can bend spoons with his mind’ guy. He’s also kind of a stick in the mud, but don’t tell him that.”

“I wasn’t planning to.”

“Good man… or rather stallion.” Strategy seemed to wait for him to finish, but soon realised that he was done.

“Nigel, what about,” Strategy grit his teeth. “Orthodox?”

“You make his name sound like a curse,” Nigel chuckled, before waving a hand. “Orthodox is nothing special, just your standard short-guy with short-guy problems. I’m sorry for the way he’s been carrying on, but he’s like an attack dog. He has to be pointed towards a target and unleashed; otherwise he turns around and bites you. Just let me know if he causes you issues, and I’ll sort him out.”

“I’m surprised you're friends with him, given how he treats you and everyone else.”

“I’m his old squad leader, and I’m ranked above him. Despite his attitude, he’ll listen if I order him to, but it’s usually not needed. He’s an arsehole, but he does do what he’s supposed to when needed.” He remembered the numerous charges for looting on the battlefield. “Even if he does have a few issues regarding the hording of shiny things.”

“So, he’s like a dragon-alien then?” Strategy supplied. “Luckily we haven’t had to deal with many dragons thanks to the cold, but from what I heard they look a little like him and also hoard.”

“That’s pretty accurate, but a word of advice.” Nigel grew serious. “Never, ever, call him either ‘short’ or a ‘dragon’, or any words similar. Orthodox is a powder keg, lots of issues floating around in that noggin of his.”

“So what is he?”

“I don’t honestly know,” he shrugged. “Dragon-alien?”

“You’ve never asked?”

“Nope, I don’t even think he knows. ISA found him when he was young, apparently, and thought that it was a good idea to raise him.”

There was no more said after that, both resting for a few minutes. Eventually Nigel got bored, and stood up while brushing himself down. “Late lunch?”

Strategy joined him, getting to his hooves and shaking some blades of grass off of his armour. “Sure, where were you thinking?”

“Eh, I don’t really know. You pick.”

“Okay, there’s this pretty decent place near the barracks, apparently the soldiers love it.”

The two walked and trotted off back towards the city, all other subjects apart from lunch being pushed to the backs of their minds.


“So, Princess, what are we here for again?” Twilight inquired, stepping carefully over a mossy stone brick. She was following Princess Celestia into the entrance of the crumbling Everfree castle, the four guards attached to their chariot waiting in the forest clearing behind them. It was not Twilight’s idea of a fun time, whipping her head to look backwards as a lone timberwolf howl rang out in the creepy forest.

“We, my dear student, are searching for an artefact that my sister and I left in our old castle.” Celestia wasn’t the least concerned about their position in the forest, trotting into the foreboding entranceway without a single shred of worry.

Twilight was perplexed. Surely leaving something important, like a magical artefact, unguarded in a run-down castle wasn’t the best way to keep it secure?

“I know what you are thinking, Twilight,” Celestia explained, glancing around before heading to a stairway on the left. “But I assure you, this castle is still the safest place in the entire forest. It was warded to keep away creatures with evil intent, so there is no need to fear timberwolf or cockatrice within its walls.” Shoed hooves clacked on the stone steps, Twilight gulping before following Celestia down into the darkness. A twinkle of magic later and a golden glow from Celestia’s horn lit up the surrounding area.

“I was wondering why it is so steeped in magic,” she said, trying to keep her mind off of her memories of the castle. “Are the wards to do with this artefact we’re after?”

“Not exactly,” Celestia answered, reaching the bottom of the stairs. “They were set up as a general precaution. This artefact isn’t a massive danger or a weapon, so I and Luna deemed it safe enough to leave hidden in our old castle.” She entered the first room on the left, Twilight following with hushed anticipation.

Laying eyes upon the dusty study, her excitement fell. “In here?” She looked around. “But the desk is missing three legs, and the bookshelf is completely empty!”

Celestia smiled knowingly, approaching the empty bookshelf and scouring the shelves. “Twilight, often all is not what it seems.”

It was then, while browsing the third empty shelf, that Celestia’s muzzle stopped with a dull thud. Smiling, the sun princess reached in with a hoof and felt around, before the same empty hoof was withdrawn from the bookshelf. Twilight’s eyes widened, an object becoming visable when Celestia pulled her hoof out.

Shimmering into view, it was a small crystal cylinder, hewn from what seemed to be a combination of emeralds and diamonds. Celestia held it out towards her, the smile gone from her face.

“It’s sad in a way, considering that this was once a gift from the very same city that we seek to use it against.” Twilight could see that, the artefact obviously originating from the Crystal Empire. Streaks of diamond broke up the green surface, giving the simple shape an air of beauty. “Now Twilight, watch closely.” Celestia’s horn glowed softly, before a stream of the golden magic flowed into the crystal held in the hoof. The diamond streaks shined brightly, Celestia continuing for ten seconds before her glow died out.

“Princess?” Twilight asked, Celestia huffing lightly. “Are you okay?”

“I’m fine,” Celestia waved off. “This item is a magic storage device, of sorts. A unicorn, or in my place an alicorn, can transfer their magic into it and keep that portion for later use. As you can see, the process is exhausting.” Taking a moment to catch her breath, Celestia resumed with a nod. “They were intended to be used by magic-users in battles, long before our lands knew peace. A spell caster could prepare for a fight or duel by sinking in magic, so they could draw on it later when needed.” Celestia held it out. “We intend to use it the same way, except we will be powering our teleportation instead of battle spells.”

“Teleportation?” Twilight asked, taking the cue and pouring in her own magic, managing to last the same time as Celestia before she had to stop. Taking a few breaths, she looked back up. “Why do we need this to teleport?”

“We will be not just teleporting ourselves, but others as well. It will be two trips over a considerable distance to a very specific point, so the amount of energy needed is more than even you and I can normally hold.” Celestia levitated the magical crystal out of her hoof. “Our magic will rejuvenate during our trip to the destination, meaning we will have a greatly increased reserve in case something goes wrong.”

It was then that Twilight figured out the plan, her eyes widening. “Princess, are we planning to teleport into the Crystal Empire, find Princess Luna and her guards, and then teleport out?” At the answering nod, she began to panic. “But that carries so much risk! One miscalculation and we could end up in the middle of a group of guards, or…” she shuddered. “Right in front of their Emperor and his friends.”

Her mind going over the previous experiences in the Empire, she was oblivious to Celestia’s approach until a hoof rested upon her withers.

“Twilight,” Celestia began with a reassuring smile. “I know that there are risks involved, and I know that it will be difficult to do correctly.” The smile widened. “It’s why I asked you to help me, after all. In truth, I do not trust myself to accomplish such a task by myself.”

“Really?” Twilight replied, amazed. “You trust me to help you teleport?” At Celestia’s nod she filled with pride, nodding her head immediately and vigorously. “You can count on me, Princess!”

“I know I can,” Celestia laughed warmly, before trotting out of the room and heading back up the stairs. “We must act quickly though, the sooner we rescue my sister, the better.”

Twilight couldn’t help but agree while she followed her mentor, knowing full well that Luna’s predicament was very dangerous indeed.


“Really, Nigel?”

He sighed standing still while Reflection fussily brushed grass off of his clothing, Strategy and Sparkling watching with embarrassment as the surrounding crowd whispered amongst themselves.

“It’s just some grass,” he explained with rolled eyes. “Coming from someone who’s not even wearing clothes, I question just why you have a problem with it.”

“I have a problem with it because you look more like a slob than the ruler you are supposed to be.”

Her hooves continued to get rid of the offending vegetation, Nigel giving up on arguing the point. The plan to have a calming work-lunch with his captain had been torpedoed when they had run into Sparkling Scroll and Reflection. The two had been sitting down at their own chosen venue, Sparkling snacking on a plate of sandwiches while Reflection had been nursing a colourful fruit smoothie. The result exchanging of surprised greetings had devolved into a public lecturing over the state of his clothing.

Wonderful.

Things only got more awkward when she noticed the grass stains from where he had sat down.

“And look at these stains!” she lamented, grabbing a napkin with her hoof and rubbing the offending area. He froze in place, Strategy shaking his head while Sparkling fought to hold in her laughter. “You really need to be more careful.”

“I know, I know,” he sighed, before focusing on the gathering crowd. He inwardly winced when he remembered that it was a market day, throngs of ponies and changelings staring while Reflection cleaned him down. Slowly, he raised a hand and waved at them. “Hi, everyone… nice weather we’re having?”

He was met with a few distracted answers, but unfortunately the feeble attempt did nothing to remove that attention from him.

‘If I didn’t know better, I’d bet that she’s enjoying this,’ he suspected, glancing around behind him. The smug smile that Reflection was giving him only lent credence to his theory, but it was only another few moments before the napkin was removed and discarded into a nearby bin.

“There,” she grinned. “All better now.” Obviously enjoying his unamused look, she turned to the watching crowd. “Okay everyone, show’s over.”

The observers quickly dispersed, Reflection using her magic to pull out a chair for him while Strategy chose one next to Sparkling. Sitting down, Nigel sighed while Strategy remained quiet.

“And here I was, hoping for a quiet lunch,” Chalmers muttered.

“Oh, cheer up,” Reflection urged, before taking a victorious sip of her drink. “You would have done the same and gloated about it. Besides, me and Sparkling were having a quiet lunch before you two walked in.” She glanced over to her café-ally. “Right, Sparkling?”

“I don’t mind,” Sparkling murmured back, her eyes locked firmly on the still-uncomfortable Strategy. Reflection rolled her eyes in response and turned her attention back to Nigel, smiling while a waitress scrambled to serve them.

“So, how’s the wall going?”

“Pretty good,” he replied, before glancing to the puffing waitress. “Just a cheese and tomato sandwich, thanks. Anyway, Reflection, it’s going along well. We’ll of course be losing a lot of workers at the end of the week so-“

“It’ll be so worth it,” she interrupted, tapping her fore hooves on the table. “Both Elijah and Chrysalis gone for months.”

“Hey,” he stopped her, levelling a glare. “… Chrysalis isn’t that bad.”

It took her a second to process the joke at Elijah’s expense, but when she did all tension disappeared. Sparkling giggled and even Strategy cracked a grin.

‘Speaking of Elijah,’ Nigel wondered. ‘I hope James and Orthodox are getting along…’


“Orthodox, put down the gun.”

“No! Never!”

James sighed while Orthodox waved around the weapon, the group of ten changeling scouts watching on with complete confusion at the standoff.

Each of the changelings held small crossbows in their magical grips, the three bolt-ridden targets down the end of the range a testament to their accuracy. The morning’s training had been going well, until the arrival of Orthodox had heralded a storm of overcompensation and unwarranted violence.

“Look, I’m sorry,” James tried, holding out his hands with his armoured palms facing out. “You can shoot better than they can, okay?” He risked a glance towards his trainees, the changelings nodding their heads with knowing looks in their eyes. James was thankful that they got what he was trying to do. “There’s no need to demonstrate it.”

“Sure there is,” Orthodox countered, swinging the energy rifle around to point at the hapless targets. “You’re just lying so I won’t go ahead and shoot, proving you wrong!”

“Orthodox, don’t you dare destroy another targe-“

It went unheeded, Orthodox depressing the trigger with a snarl. Looking back, James realised that giving the order to stop wasn’t the best idea, Orthodox’s eyes narrowed in a hateful glare. The changelings wisely retreated behind a cart loaded with spare bolts, the very air sizzling with the sound of the rifle’s discharge.

The targets didn’t stand a chance.

Bright-blue bolts of condensed plasma destroyed wall, target, and snow bank alike. Orthodox sprayed the entire end of the range with super-heated fire, evaporating snow and hitting almost everything in his sights. James shook his head and looked away, hoping that no pony or changeling had been stupid enough to venture into the arc of fire. He doubted that there was any real danger, and when the sound of Orthodox’s weapon died down to a dull whine he looked back to assess the damage done.

Pockets of melted snow and scorched ground were everywhere, Orthodox living up to his reputation for terrible accuracy. Great clouds of steam obscured the targets, James watching and waiting while Orthodox turned around and eyes the hiding changelings with a grin.

“See? That’s how you shoot things! Kill everything and that’s one mission accomplished with maximum efficiency!”

Orthodox continued to brag, James ignoring him while he stared at the dispersing steam.

He couldn’t believe it.

“Orthodox,” he called out.

“Yeah?” came the reply, Orthodox not even turning around to see what the issue was.

“You missed… well, all of them.”

There was silence, before a barely-tempered, rage-filled growl broke it.

“…What!?”

James had to hold in his laughter while Orthodox stomped up to see that, yes, all of the targets were still standing and scorch-mark free. The armour-clad tail flicked dangerously, Orthodox visibly fuming as he glared at the objects that had dared to defy him.

“So much for ‘mission accomplished’,” one of the changelings whispered to another.

Unfortunately, Orthodox heard it as well.

“Stop mocking me!” he yelled, once again levelling his rifle at the targets.

James’ eyes widened under his helmet when he saw the claw go for the second trigger, taking a step back when he realised that Orthodox was going to use the weapon’s grenade launcher.

‘This is going to cause a few problems,’ he concluded, Orthodox jamming the trigger down and launching the deadly plasma grenade towards the end of the range.


Reflection looked up, ceasing her cuddling of the Emperor’s arm when a booming thud echoed around the city. Ponies and changelings ceased what they were doing to look up in worry, Strategy and Sparkling pulling apart with their lunch forgotten.

Curiously, Nigel was completely unaffected and merely continued to munch on his sandwich.

“What was that?” Sparkling murmured with concern, Reflection focusing on Nigel.

“Is it an attack?”

“Emperor,” Strategy joined in. “I suggest that we assemble three squads to investigate-“

“No need,” Chalmers replied in-between bites. “I’ll deal with it after lunch.” They all continued to stare at him, Nigel stopping when he noticed. “What?”

“Shouldn’t we,” she began with some force. “Be slightly concerned about an explosion loud enough to be heard around the entire city?”

A hand reached out, patting her on the shoulder. “Reflection, it’s fine, trust me. I know what made it, did you hear the slight fizzle sound at the end? It’s just a standard E-54 plasma grenade, and it came from the south-east.”

“The firing range,” Strategy realised with a nod. “Where Agent James is teaching the new infiltrator squad. How were you able to distinguish the sound?”

“Experience,” Nigel explained, gesturing for them all to sit back down. “When you spend enough time around Orthodox, you tend to be able to learn the ins and outs of explosive devices.” He finished his sandwich with a happy smile and a pat on the belly. “That was a damn good lunch. Anyway, speaking of Orthodox it was probably him that fired it, James despises having to resort to such ‘messy’ devices.”

Reflection shuddered. “That doesn’t make me feel any better.”

“Oh, it’s nothing,” Nigel reassured, rubbing her head to help calm her nerves. “I’m sure James is tearing out Orthodox as we speak.”


“What is wrong with you, you utter imbecile!?”

“Nothing except for you yelling your head off! No harm was done so what’s the issue!?”

“The issue!? You’ve blown up half of the range!”

Shill poked her head out from around the side of the cart they were sheltering behind, watching the two argue back and forth while what was left of the range smouldered.

“It’s funny, isn’t it?” Buzz murmured to her from his spot. “How they stress that ‘proper teamwork is the way to succeed.”

Looking at the scene, Shill found it hard to disagree with him.

Her agreement only strengthened when Orthodox took a swing at their instructor.


"So, you doing anything tonight?"

Private Sheen turned to Private Mirror, the changeling female cricking her neck after asking the question. "Not really, I'm assigned to the wall construction tomorrow so I can't really do anything too fun."

"A shame," Mirror returned. "Me and another group of privates were going to hit the bars," a smirk was sent her way. "Browse the night-life. Hey, speaking of night-life, maybe we can ask the Emperor if we can take those two bat-ponies with us. They're kinda cute."

Sheen rolled her eyes at her fellow's teasing, Mirror already having a reputation around the ranks for being a massive flirt. Glancing back at the door they were guarding, she snorted. "What, you can't just ask one of the others to change into one for you?"

"It's just not the same as the real thing, Sheen. Besides, one is good, but those two in there..."

"You're such a perv," Sheen chuckled with a shake of her head. "I half expect you to try and get that Equestrian Princess to come along as well."

At that, Mirror winced.

"No thanks, far too tall. Now, not to knock Lady Reflection-"

"Don't even start on that again," Sheen cut her off. "That's her business, and I don't want to hear about it any more."

"Fine." Mirror huffed and returned to looking forwards at the wall. They stood in silence, Sheen tapping her forehoof against the hilt of her sword absent-mindedly. Guarding the hostages was possibly the most boring duty she had been placed on. Luckily it was only her second time, but secretly she wished that something would happen to break up the dullness. Not even the creepy science guy had been by, and that was unusual.

All of a sudden, Mirror shifted beside her and her horn lit up. Green magic pulled out the sword sheathed at Mirror's side, the changeling's armour clinking when she turned to face the door.

"Something wrong?" Sheen asked, placing an armoured hoof on her own sword. The enchantment in the shoe locked with the grip, enabling her to pull it out and join her comrade. "Mirror?"

"I heard something," Mirror replied, placing an ear against the wood. Sheen leaned forwards, trying to pick anything up. All she heard was silence.

"I don't hear anything."

"Not any more."

Both shared a look, before Sheen nodded and turned around. Lining up a kick, she waited until Mirror was standing at the ready with her sword raised.

A mighty crack echoed around the corridor, the door flinging open to reveal the worrying sight.

Nothing.

The room was completely clear, no hostages in sight.

"Oh no," Sheen murmured, quickly moving in to check the bathroom. It was also empty, and upon turning back around she saw Mirror staring out of the window.

"We're so screwed," Mirror told her. "There's magic all over this room, and the hostages are gone."

"They can't have gotten far," Sheen tried to reason. "Maybe they're just..."

The sight of a shape outside the window, half hidden by snow, caused her to trail off. A single blur moved up into the air, before disappearing completely. Evidently Mirror had seen it too, the changeling looking towards her with clenched teeth.

"So... you're all good to tell the Emperor about this then?"


Author's Note:

So, a fairly slow chapter that sets up the next one.

How will the rescue of Luna affect the uneasy stalemate between Equestria and the Crystal Empire? Will the Equestrian nobles be able to implement their attack plans, despite Celestia's best efforts to not resort to violent matters? Will Luna take her side, or will she push for a more direct action?

All this and more, next chapter.