• Published 12th Jun 2014
  • 3,063 Views, 31 Comments

The Twidash Playlist - ssjgokillo



A interconnected story about Rainbow Dash and Twilight's blossoming relationship, where each chapter is based off of a song.

  • ...
14
 31
 3,063

Chapter 1

Rainbow Dash was upset. Well, maybe not upset. Annoyed? Peevish? She wasn’t sure, all she knew was that something was bothering her. And the worst thing was she couldn’t figure out what exactly it was that was bothering her! Everything just seemed so boring lately. Even flying, her favorite thing in the world, seemed to lack that spark that used to make it so exciting. She just couldn’t get into it...

Her day-to-day activities weren’t the cause. She would wake up every day and quickly get her weather duties done, before doing her morning flight practice. Then she’d find some place to take a nap, resting until sometime in the afternoon, unless one of her friends found her first. Then the rest of the day would be spent hanging out with Applejack, or more recently Pinkie Pie, after discovering Pinkie’s penchant for pranks.

The only thing that had changed for Rainbow Dash was the events that seemed to surround her newest friend, Twilight Sparkle. After Twilight had moved to Ponyville, it seemed like Rainbow was always finding herself dragged into some new adventure. Fighting over tickets to the Grand Galloping Gala, getting a dragon to find someplace else to take a nap, oh, and of course that one time they totally beat Nightmare Moon and stopped Equestria from being plunged into eternal darkness.

But everything that happened always turned out to be cool! So obviously it couldn’t be Twilight’s fault. Not that Rainbow would ever blame her newest friend even if their misadventures had been the cause of her restlessness. Twilight may have been a little overbearing at times, but she was still pretty cool, in a nerdy sort of way.

Still, that left Rainbow Dash with the annoying problem of not knowing what exactly was bothering her. Worst of all, the more she thought about it, the more she became annoyed. If there was no reason for her to feel down, then why the hay did she still feel down?

Maybe it was time to get a second opinion. While Rainbow Dash did not like showing weakness to anypony, she really wanted to get over this. Besides, there was one pony Rainbow Dash knew she could always go to without having to fear being judged.

Unless she was mean to an animal. Then even Fluttershy’s patience might run out.

It was a better option than just sitting there moping at least. Worst case scenario, she spends some time chatting with her oldest friend. Not really a way to lose in that situation.

With that thought in mind Rainbow Dash spread her wings and leapt off the cloud she’d been resting on. She decided to just lock her wings, and glide her way to Fluttershy’s place. For once she wasn’t in a hurry, and it was a little soothing to just relax in the air, compared to her normal high speed aerobatics.

Her flight ended all too soon for her tastes. She soon found herself landing just before the bridge that lead to Fluttershy’s cottage. She could see various critters running this way and that all around the cottage.

She trotted up to the door, and knocked just loud enough to be heard, but not with enough force to scare the shy mare into hiding for five minutes. It was a knock she had perfected after her many years of associating with Fluttershy.

When the door opened, Rainbow Dash was surprised to see Rarity. The white unicorn smiled pleasantly at Rainbow Dash.

“Oh! Rainbow Dash, do come in!” She said, stepping to the side.

Rainbow Dash always expected the inside of Fluttershy’s house to smell like a kennel. She was always pleasantly surprised to find that wasn’t the case. It seemed that Fluttershy and the animals had an understanding, and they did their business elsewhere. The smell of animals was still in the air, but it was not the overpowering smell one would expect.

Fluttershy walked out of her kitchen, balancing a tray with teacups and assorted snacks on one of her wings. “Rainbow! Oh no! I didn’t know you were coming over, I haven’t made enough snacks and I don’t have a teacup for you. I’m sorry, I’ll go make some more right away!”

Rainbow Dash shook her head, knowing how frazzled Fluttershy could get, even amongst her closest friends. “Nah, it’s cool Fluttershy, I didn’t know I was interrupting anything. I can just come back another time.”

“Well that simply won’t do, darling. You came all this way after all, you should join us for some afternoon tea.” Rarity said. She used her magic to levitate the tray off of Fluttershy’s wing, setting it on the table. She carefully poured two cups of tea, while Fluttershy hurried back into the kitchen to get a cup for her new guest.

“Eh, I guess I could. I was coming over to talk to Fluttershy anyways.” Rainbow Dash took a seat on one of the chairs near the table. Tea wasn’t really her thing, despite how much Rarity raved about it. She prefered fruit juice, or cider if it was available, which it normally wasn’t, sadly.

Fluttershy quickly returned with another cup, which Rarity then filled with tea. With the tea taken care of, the two mares joined Rainbow Dash at the table.

“So what brings you by, Rainbow? I mean, not that I’m not happy that you’ve come to visit or anything.” That was classic Fluttershy, always quick to worry over how she may have offended somepony.

Rainbow Dash hesitated for a moment. While she was comfortable talking about this to Fluttershy, Rarity was a whole different story. Still, Rarity was her friend, and having somepony who might have a different perspective might help.

“Well, I kinda have a problem. Nothing major, just something that’s been bugging me lately.

The three mares sat silently, Fluttershy and Rarity sipping at their tea while they waited for Rainbow Dash to continue. Rainbow for her part simply stared down into the brown liquid in her cup. It didn’t smell too bad, by why did ponies actually drink this stuff? It was like drinking watery grass.

“So what exactly seems to be the problem, Rainbow Dash?”

Rainbow Dash grimaced. It figured that Rarity would cut right to the chase. Part of the reason Rainbow Dash had come to Fluttershy was that the shy pegasus would never be as blunt, giving Rainbow enough time to ease herself into the topic. With Rarity though, there was no chance of that.

“I dunno,” Rainbow Dash’s voice sounded alien to her own ears, is that what being nervous sounded like? “I guess I’ve just been in some kinda funk lately.”

“Oh my!” Fluttershy immediately flew to her friend’s side, placing a hoof to her forehead to while looking her over. “Are you sick? You don’t seem to have a fever.”

Rainbow pushed Fluttershy’s hoof away, giving her an annoyed look. “Nah, I feel fine, I just… I dunno! That’s what’s so annoying!” Rainbow Dash began pacing back and forth, filled with a nervous energy. “It just seems like nothing is as cool anymore. Like... like there’s an overcast sky even on a sunny day! Like, I can’t even enjoy flying that much anymore, and I don’t know why!”

“Oh my! This sounds serious.” Fluttershy looked worried. Of course, hearing Rainbow Dash say she wasn’t enjoy flying would be like Fluttershy saying she didn’t like being surrounded by cute critters.

“Well, why don’t you tell us a bit more? Perhaps when you first started feeling this way?”

Rarity’s question made sense. Rainbow Dash tried to think, looking back on when exactly she had started to feel down for no apparent reason. “I guess, sometime after we got that dragon to find a different place to take a nap.”

Rarity tapped her muzzle in thought. “Hmmm, do you perhaps feel guilty for making the dragon move?”

“Nah. I mean, I get the need for a good nap, but that guy needed to find somewhere else to sleep. Not like it was that big of a deal.”

“I see. Well, have you done anything recently that hasn’t made you feel ‘down in the dumps’, as it were?”

“Just whenever we’re doing whatever crazy thing happens. Like when that Trixie chick came to town. I mean, did you see the way Twilight handled that Ursa Minor? There’s no way that could’ve been anything less than awesome! Or when Twi was getting us to realize Zecora wasn’t an evil enchantress? I mean, we were all too scared to even talk to her, but Twi came right out and told us we were being silly, and she was right!”

Rarity and Fluttershy exchanged a look, the meaning of which was completely lost on Rainbow Dash. “Why yes, Twilight has certainly caused a buzz since she came to Ponyville.”

“Right! I mean, I always thought Ponyville was kinda boring after I moved here, but it seems like there’s always something interesting happen since she moved here.” Rainbow Dash smiled fondly at the memories. Even if it hadn’t been that long, it felt like there was always something new and exciting to do since Twilight had come to town.

“Let me just make sure that I’m understanding the situation correctly. You feel like things you typically enjoy aren’t as enjoyable. You are in ‘a funk’, as you say, and the only time you don’t feel this way is whenever one of we’re joining Twilight on some misadventure?”

“Uh, yeah. That sounds about right.”

Rarity smiled. “Well then darling, I believe the answer is obvious: You have developed a crush on Twilight Sparkle.”

There were many ways Rainbow Dash could have handled such news. A quick declaration, a blushful admittance, or even a cold ‘what the hay have you been putting in your tea?’ stare.

So it made sense that both Rarity and Fluttershy were surprised when, without warning, Rainbow Dash began to laugh. Not just a chuckle or a giggle, but a full-blown ‘clutching your sides’ laugh. Rarity looked at Fluttershy, wondering if her diagnosis had somehow caused their friend to ‘snap’.

“So...hahah… so you think… pffft,” Rainbow shakily stood back on her hooves, still laughing as she tried to speak, “that this….*snort* is all because I have a crush on...Twilight?” It seemed that just saying it herself was too much, as Rainbow collapsed back into a fit of laughter.

Rarity quirked an eyebrow at the amused pegasus. “I really don’t see what’s so funny about this, Rainbow Dash. You have clearly become enamored with our new friend.”

Rainbow’s laughter slowed to a couple of separate chuckles as she returned Rarity’s questioning gaze. “What the hay does armor have to do with anything?”

“Enamored, Rainbow Dash.” Rarity exaggerated each sound of the word, making sure Rainbow Dash wasn’t able to confuse it. “It means infatuated, captivated, or just plain attracted to.”

The lecture on words she didn’t care about seemed to kill the rest of Rainbow Dash’s laughter. She rolled her eyes as she stood back up. “That’s exactly what’s so funny! You think that I’ve been feeling down lately because I have a ‘crush’ on Twilight!”

“And why exactly is that funny?”

Rainbow Dash shook her head. “Cause that’s not how I work. Trust me, I’ve tried the whole dating scene, but being in a relationship just slows me down. No mare, or stallion, is worth the headache.” Rainbow Dash looked over to Fluttershy, who seemed to be trying to make herself as unnoticeable as possible. She knew, of course. Fluttershy had seen Rainbow Dash’s disastrous attempts at relationships back when they were both living in Cloudsdale, but that was ancient history. Rainbow Dash flew solo now.

“Really darling? Who do you think you’re kidding? You’re showing all the signs of a mare pining for the attentions of her beloved.”

Rainbow shook her head. “Oh come on! Seriously, I've known Twilight for like a month! How could I even have a crush on her?”

“The heart wants what the heart wants, Rainbow Dash. Perhaps there is simply something special about Twilight? Something that draws you to her?”
“Ugh, this is stupid! There’s no way that I have a crush on Twilight!”

“I beg to differ, Rainbow Dash. And I’m sure if you put some thought into it, you’d see that it makes sense. You said yourself that it started shortly after the incident with that beastly dragon. You can’t seem to enjoy the things you normally like to do, and you feel like there’s something missing. That something is Twilight.”

Annoyance began to creep into Rainbow Dash’s features. It seemed the fashionista just did not get it. “Rarity! I’m not in love anypony.” Rainbow’s tone came out harsher than she meant it to, but she really wanted to put this ridiculous issue to rest.

It seemed like she may have been a bit too harsh however. Fluttershy had ducked behind the couch, peeking over the edge. Rarity had flinched at Rainbow’s declaration, but still seemed ready to retort.

So it was surprising to both Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy, when Rarity simply sighed, and nodded her head. “Of course, I apologize for making any assumptions, Rainbow Dash.”

Glad that topic was dealt with, Rainbow Dash relaxed. She hadn’t realized how tense she had been during that conversation until her body sagged under the relief of it being over. “S’cool, Rarity.”

“I mean whatever was I thinking? How could a mare like Twilight ever attract your attention?”

That threw Rainbow Dash for a loop. She looked at Rarity, who seemed almost disappointed with herself. “Uh, come again?”

“Well I mean, isn’t it obvious darling? You are, what’s the term… ah! You are out of her league. Why, the very thought that a plain and boring mare like Twilight could ever gain your affection! It’s almost laughable!”

“Err… that’s not really what I meant when I was-”

“No, Rainbow Dash, you are absolutely right! I mean, what exactly does Twilight Sparkle have to offer? Her manestyle is completely unflattering. Her body isn’t much to look at honestly, very plain. And her attitude? I mean, all she does is talk about her studies or how she’s running some errand for the Princess!” Rarity shook her head, seemingly annoyed with the pony she was describing.

Rainbow was quick to jump to her friend’s defense. “Hey! That’s not fair. Twilight looks amazing, and she has a body a ton of mares would kill for! And she doesn’t even have to try, it’s all natural for her. And who cares if she likes to talk about her studies, that’s like me talking about the Wonderbolts or you talking about fashion!”

“Oh Rainbow, you are being far too kind. Besides, what could a mare like her possibly offer as a special somepony? She would only ever drag whoever she was with down, with her constant need for checklists and schedules. I can’t imagine it would be any fun to date her.”

“Twilight would make a great special somepony! Anypony would be lucky to date her! She’s cute, she’s a hard worker, she's like the smartest pony ever! And she’s always looking out for ponies, even if she doesn't know them. And have you ever seen the way her eyes sparkle whenever she gets excited about something? Or that cute little way her breath catches whenever she find a book she hasn't read before? Or…”

Rainbow Dash found the words dying on her lips, as she saw the grin Rarity was giving her. She recognized that grin, she’d seen it on Applejack’s face anytime the mare had won at whatever contest they had come up with.

“My apologies, Rainbow Dash. I didn't realize that you had paid that much attention to Ponyville’s newest librarian. I must say, it almost sounds like you-”

“That’s enough, Rarity.”

Both mares turned to see Fluttershy, who had apparently given up hiding behind the couch, giving Rarity a stern glare. It wasn’t the full “stare” that Fluttershy was rumored to have, but the change in the normally nervous pegasus’ attitude was enough to silence both Rarity and Rainbow Dash.

“I know that you were only trying to help Rainbow Dash, but that was a very mean thing you did, Rarity.”

Rarity sunk in on herself, and had the good grace to look ashamed. “I-I’m very sorry Fluttershy. I was simply trying to help Rainbow Dash see-”

“Rainbow Dash is a big pony, she doesn’t need one of her friends to browbeat her into something like this. Besides, those were some very mean things you said about Twilight.” Rainbow Dash was very glad at that moment not to be on the receiving end of the disappointed look Fluttershy currently had direct at Rarity, she wasn’t sure her heart could take it.

“I… You’re quite right, Fluttershy. I didn’t mean any of what I said, but it still was horrible of me to say those things, or to try and trick Rainbow Dash like that.”

Fluttershy nodded, and Rarity gave a relieved sigh when Fluttershy turned her attention from her. Now, the look was leveled at Rainbow Dash, who could feel a cold sweat breaking out from being scrutinized by her longtime friend.

“And Rainbow Dash, you need to stop being so stubborn. I know your relationships in Cloudsdale didn't end well, but that doesn't mean there isn't a special somepony out there somewhere for you.” Fluttershy’s eyes softened, and she gave her friend a small smile. “You deserve to have somepony who makes you happy.”

Rainbow Dash just nodded dumbly, trying very hard not to think about the ponies she had dated in Cloudsdale. She had always been devoted to whoever she was dating, but it seemed they could never offer the same in return. Each disastrous breakup had shattered the pegasus’ heart, until she had sworn that the whole thing just wasn’t worth the trouble.

But maybe Fluttershy was right.

“Now, I think we should probably stop talking about this, and be nice and civil to each other.” Then, almost as if a Fluttershy had used up her daily supply of assertiveness, she shrunk back in on herself, hiding behind the long pink locks of her mane. “Um, that is, if that’s okay with the two of you.”

Rarity nodded. “I think that would be for the best. And Rainbow Dash, I’m sorry. I should not have acted so unladylike.”

“Nah, you were just trying to help, I get it.” Rainbow Dash’s voice sounded hollow, even to her own ears. “Um, I think I’m gonna take off now. I have a lot to think about.”

“Of course, darling. And if you need anypony to talk to… well, I promise I’ll be much better behaved next time.”

Rainbow Dash nodded, and quickly made her way out the door. Once outside, she launched herself into the sky, hoping that a brisk flight would help clear her mind. Yet her thoughts instantly went back to her conversation with Rarity. While she could argue that she had defended Twilight simply because they were friends, that didn't explain some of the things she had said. Like the thing about Twilight’s eyes, she wouldn't have said anything like that about Applejack.

So she had to ask herself, did she have a crush on Twilight?

She felt torn. Her mind was screaming at her to come to her senses, that she knew where this would lead, that she’d just be hurt again. The dull ache that she still felt when she thought of her past relationships was all the evidence that was needed.

But now that she realized it, thinking about Twilight seemed to make that ache go away. It was like having the sun poke through the clouds on a rainy day. Was it worth it to take a chance again? Would Twilight even be interested in a mare like her?

She settled down on a cloud, noticing that while she had been thinking, she had automatically flown just outside Twilight’s library.

A glimpse of purple through the window made Rainbow Dash’s breath catch. Her heart was thundering in her chest like a stampede of cows.

And strangely enough, she smiled. She may not be sure yet, but it wasn’t like she had to decide right at that moment. She didn’t have to say it out loud, but in her heart she knew.

She was in love with Twilight Sparkle.

Author's Note:

Song: I Won't Say (I'm in Love)

So here's the start of something new!

Next update: 6/18/14
Just how far is Rainbow Dash willing to go to win Twilight's affections?