• Published 9th Jun 2014
  • 2,339 Views, 39 Comments

Dreams of Loss - KalenNighteyes



Twilight Sparkle is having a recurring nightmare in which Rainbow Dash perishes attempting to save the alicorn's life.

  • ...
6
 39
 2,339

Chapter Four

**Four Hours Before Luna Speaks With Twilight**


Rainbow paced back and forth across Twilight's room, quietly fuming. It had been two hours since the doctor had left to contact Princess Celestia and the hospital in Canterlot. What's taking so long? This is seriously starting to annoy me. I can't stand all this waiting around.

“Hey, Rainbow. Sorry we didn't get here sooner. We were gathering a few things to bring here. You know, flowers and such,” came Applejack's voice.

Rainbow turned to see her four friends, and Spike, standing in the doorway bearing balloons, flowers, and even a basket of apples. “Hey, everypony,” she said, continuing her pacing.

“Oh my. Are you doing okay with this, Rainbow?” Fluttershy asked, placing her boquet of flowers on the nightstand beside Twilight's bed.

Rainbow looked incredulously at Fluttershy. “Well, let's see. I've been here for two hours having the worst thoughts imaginable and realizing I have feelings I didn't even know I had! How do you think I'm doing, Fluttershy?”

Fluttershy cowered down slightly. “I-I- I'm sorry. It was a stupid question. I shouldn't have asked.”

Dash looked down at the floor. “I'm sorry Fluttershy. I didn't mean to snap at you. I'm just so worried for Twilight, and feeling confused about some other stuff.”

“What kind of stuff? You know you can talk to us about whatever's botherin' ya,” Applejack said, giving Rainbow a smile.

“I know, but I don't think I want to talk about it. It's confusing enough to me already. I think it would be just as confusing to you,” Dash explained.

“Oh! I know! Since you've been spending so much time with Twilight, you've grown to care for her on a deeper level and you didn't realize it until now and you're afraid that she's going to die and you won't get to tell her how you really feel about her! Is that right?” blurted out Pinkie Pie, all in one breath, before ending with a big grin.

Rainbow's jaw dropped. “How did you know?”

Pinkie giggled. “Just a hunch!”

“Is what Pinkie just said true? You've come to care for Twilight much more than just as a friend?” Rarity asked.

Rainbow nodded her head slowly, her cheeks turning a light shade of red. For a moment, the other ponies just stared at her, which made her begin to feel like she had made a mistake in confirming what Pinkie Pie had said was true.

“That's marvelous!” Rarity exclaimed suddenly. “Why, that is simply the most wonderful thing I've heard today!”

“Uh, Rarity? Ya mind sharing with the rest of us why yer so excited by this?” Applejack asked.

“Well, earlier today I received a letter from Spike. He explained to me what has been going on with Twilight these last few weeks. I'm sure you've all noticed that she has not been herself,” Rarity said.

The others nodded in agreement.

“She's been having a horrible, recurring nightmare. That's why she's looked so tired and hasn't exactly been Miss Social lately,” Rarity explained.

“Wait, what kind of nightmare? She never mentioned it to me, and we've been spending loads of time together!” Rainbow said.

“Of course she didn't mention it to you. The dream is about you and...” Rarity trailed off, not really wanting to finish the sentence.

“Yeah? About me and what?” Dash asked impatiently.

“In her dream, you die,” Rarity said, giving Rainbow a sympathetic look.

“What!” the ponies exclaimed in unison.

“I know! It was simply shocking when I read that part of Spike's letter,” Rarity said.

“That still doesn't explain why you were so excited to hear that I had these feelings for Twilight. Care to tell me why you were?” Rainbow asked.

“It's really not my place to mention it. I'm not sure Twilight would want me to,” Rarity said.

“But Rarity, it could be important! We need to know everything!” Dash said.

“Rarity, go ahead. As much as we'd like to respect Twilight's wishes, I think getting this out there will help. Especially if Princess Celestia comes here. The doctor said he was writing her, didn't he?” Spike asked.

“Yeah. That was two hours ago, though. I haven't seen him since,” Rainbow said, looking back at Twilight, and placing a hoof on hers.

“Oh, alright,” Rarity said finally. “The rest of Spike's letter went on to explain that she had feelings for you too, Rainbow. Apparently it's something she's been keeping hidden for even longer than the dream she's been having.”

Rainbow's jaw dropped, then she turned and looked at Spike. “Why didn't you come to me? I could have helped!” she said angrily. “I can't believe you'd let Twilight keep something like this a secret. I mean, look at what it's done to her!”

“Rainbow, you have to believe me. I wanted her to tell you. I knew that if she did, it might help this dream stop! She made me Pinkie Promise, but when I saw just how much it had begun affecting her, I knew I had to do something!” Spike said.

Pinkie's eyes widened. “You broke a Pinkie Promise?”

“Really, Pinkie, I don't think this is the time to worry about that,” Applejack said, placing a hoof on the party pony's shoulder.

Pinkie narrowed her eyes at Spike. “We'll talk about this later, Spike.”

“Rainbow, I'm really sorry. Please don't be mad at me. I really did try and make this all go away by at least letting Rarity know,” Spike said.

“Whatever. Just leave me alone,” Rainbow said, turning her attention back to Twilight.

“Rainbow Dash, really. You shouldn't be so angry with him,” Rarity said, trying to ease her friend's anger. “I was coming to find you earlier when I saw you catch Twilight after she passed out. I was going to speak with you, and find out how you felt about her first. Once I did that, I had planned to speak to Twilight. You mustn't be mad at Spike.”

“He should have done something about this when he saw that Twilight was starting to lose sleep,” Rainbow said bitterly.

“Fine! You're right!” yelled Spike. “It is all my fault. It's my fault she's in here. I should have seen the signs. Blame me all you want, Rainbow Dash. It couldn't possibly be your fault, or Twilight's for that matter!” Spike said.

Dash looked angrily at Spike. “Get out, Spike. You don't get to blame me or her for this. Just go.”

“Hold on now. Spike has just as much right to be here as any of us. You can't just send him away,” Applejack said.

“No, A.J. It's okay, if that's what Rainbow wants, I'll leave,” Spike said, making for the door, tears in his eyes.

“Good. Go,” Rainbow said, looking back to Twilight.

“Oh, Spike. Please don't go!” Fluttershy said, following the dragon as he left the room.

“I can't believe you did that,” Rarity said.

“Not only did he let this get out of hand, he blamed Twilight and I for all of this,” the pegasus said, her eyes burning with the threat of new tears.

Applejack walked over to Dash and placed a foreleg around her. “It's nobody's fault. Twilight didn't know this would happen and neither did you. Sometimes things just happen and there ain't nuthin' anypony can do about it.”

Rainbow sighed. “I know. This has just been harder to deal with since I realized my feelings for her. It's gotten confusing and I've been close to completely breaking down in tears. I don't want to lose Twilight,” she said, tears welling in her eyes finally.

“Rainbow, it's alright. Let the tears come,” Applejack said, pulling her friend closer.

Dash looked at her and saw the deep compassion and concern in Applejack's eyes. She couldn't hold back anymore. The tears just came.

Author's Note:

I really hope you all are enjoying the story! Thank you, as always, for reading!