• Published 8th Jun 2014
  • 3,897 Views, 125 Comments

The Old Dragonslayer - HeWhoFollows



You know those stories of a guy going in costume to one place or another and having an essential missing piece to their outfit discovered? Yeah, well, this isn't exactly the norm. Follow the Dragonslayer as he grapples with his memory and royalt

  • ...
45
 125
 3,897

01: Dragonslayer's Return

Chapter 1 – Dragonslayer's Return

Crumbling stone...crumbling? Why was it crumbling? I can't breathe...crumbling stone...where am I? Let me out...I can't breathe...I can't...light? Why is there light? Why...can I feel again? I can feel myself falling...falling. That...is that ground? Yes...ground...I am free...ouch!

The form amongst the pile of rubble shifted, revealing the source of its discomfort. A long, finely crafted spear, partially obscured by the stone, shone in the light of the sun. The figure stood, claiming its weapon, and looked itself over. It wore finely crafted armor of an origin known only to itself in this world. The golden sheen had been reduced to a dull grey, but if one looked closely, the armor still had that elegant tint in the light. As it confirmed the truth of the fact, it began to chuckle, remembering how it all began. It was so stereotypical, after all. Going to a costume party in a homemade outfit, getting offered that one essential piece that was missing. But it hadn't had a missing piece. Indeed, if one had looked it over, they would have been hard-pressed to deny that the legendary warrior of the Souls series, Dragonslayer Ornstein, was in the area. So the being in the costume had no idea what the stranger had been talking about, but had been nonetheless intrigued...hadn't it? There was something about a box...wasn't there? It was just so hard to remember...

The Dragonslayer heard a sound. It took a moment to place in its mind...no, HIS mind! That's right, his! He took the necessary moment, and so placed the noise. Hooves and clacking armor. Guards! With a great leap, Ornstein ascended, landing on a balcony with practiced ease. With a glance backward to confirm his suspicions, he leapt once again, exiting the grounds of the castle, the one place he remembered clearly. The place where he had been accused...where he had been defeated. Refusing to confront that memory for now, he used his inhuman athletic capabilities to spring far, leaping from building to building, seeking to leave the...the...city! The city, of course! One giant leap, and the Dragonslayer was racing across countryside, away from the city of his disgrace.

Princess Luna soared across the sky, searching, seeking. She did not know the turmoil at the castle, nor would she care. She had sensed a ripple in reality, a pulse of powerful magic. It was foreign, yet somehow familiar, and highly unpleasant. For the life of her, she could not remember. Nor would she be able to. Though she didn't realize it, the very same magical pulse had occurred during her exile to the moon. Her sister, laying in her bed, knew what it meant, though.

Princess Celestia lay very still, wide-eyed and praying that she was dreaming, that she had not sensed it. Her instincts would not let her. The very fiber of her being screamed for her to flee, to escape the coming darkness. But she could not. What would her subjects do without her, for in that darkness, the sun's light was bright indeed! With a sigh, she rose and prepared to enact the contingencies she had prepared for this moment. However, she knew they would not be enough. She had barely been enough to stop him. And judging by the power of the pulse, he was stronger than before. If it came to blows, she would fail.

Dragonslayer Ornstein would destroy her alone.

Several of the Lunar Guard piled into the Royal Garden, weapons ready and eyes sweeping the area, scanning for the one they had heard. Even though there was no sign of the screamer, they remained on guard, slowly entering the garden and looking every which way with the practiced discipline one would expect for the guardians of the night. As they searched, they worked their way toward the rubble that had caught their eyes. With no sign of the intruder, the leader of the group sent one of his fellows to report the disturbance as the rest scanned the rubble. Turning his attention to the pedestal, he began to search for text, seeking the name of the sculpture that currently lay in pieces. What he found was certainly not what he expected.

Dragonslayer Ornstein
Cursed to imprisonment in stone
for one thousand years
for crimes against the Equestrian populace

Barking out orders, the leader sent one other of the group to report this finding to the captain of the guard, sending the others back to their posts as he stood guard over the scene. He had no doubt that this could mean nothing but trouble.

He was right, but far from understanding the depth of the coming turmoil. The coming of the Dragonslayer's crime. The curse of undeath and hollowing.

The Darksign.

The Dragonslayer lay at the base of a lone tree, resting. He knew that there would be pursuit, that the princesses wouldn't let him go that easily, but he also knew that he couldn't run forever. Besides, the canvas that was the night sky was simply too beautiful to ignore. It was certainly more beautiful than...than...wherever he came from...wasn't it? Or was it simply that it was different...or was it? Ornstein sighed and gazed into the cosmos, seeking to both lose himself in the night and find what was lost. All at once, he saw, as if from memory, the box...so there was a box. He saw the world bending into that box, past his hand. He saw space and time flying by. He again felt the searing agony. He again felt the crushing pain at the landing. And then, it was gone. He tried to recall it, to snatch back the fragment, but it slipped through his grasp like mist.

With a frustrated shout, he jumped to his feet and raced off, his blood boiling, his mind screaming. Screaming for blood. Hot blood running down the shaft of the spear as the victim writhed and bellowed in a death throes. There was only one type of blood that would satisfy him. He leapt over rivers and chasms, dove cliffs and raced across plains, toward the mountains he knew they would dwell.

Drakes, beware! The Dragonslayer has returned!

Author's Note:

Yep, jumped onto the bandwagon. Hopefully I'll somewhat defeat expectations. Either way, this is my second story on here. Hopefully won't get a year-long writer's block like with the last one!