• Published 17th Oct 2014
  • 5,579 Views, 142 Comments

The Color of Royalty - Darkryt Orbinautz



Spike has a crush on Rarity. But when Rarity claims she's found her true love, Spike is left devastated. In a surprising twist, the one to mend his broken heart may be ... Princess Celestia. Of course, Twilight's not okay with this.

  • ...
42
 142
 5,579

Date Night

Neither Spike nor Celestia noticed Twilight Sparkle standing in the door with her jaw dropped.

“What?”

Celestia looked to her. “I've agreed to go on a date with Spike. Simple as that, Twilight.”

“You can't go on a date with Spike!” Twilight waved her hoof. “He's like, one one-thousandth of your age!”

Celestia rolled her eyes. “Twilight Sparkle, when you get to be as long-lived as I have, certain things about your potential romantic partners no longer matter to you … you know, petty things like their social standing and class, like their physical gender … mental gender … species … age.”

“No. No, stop.” Twilight held a hoof out for her to stop, thinking Celestia's list was creepy.. “I don't want to hear whatever excuse you have. You cannot date Spike!”

“I can and I will.” Celestia said. “Besides, it's just one tiny date out of curiosity and courtesy to Spike. What harm could it do?”

“N-no! I forbid it!” Twilight insisted, stomping her hoof.

“Twilight Sparkle, you do not have the authority to tell me what I can and cannot do.”

“True. But Princess, can't you see what's happening? He's using you! He's trying to rebound from Rarity after she's gotten with Hayseed!”
“Enough. I am going on a date with Spike, Twilight Sparkle, and that is final. Relax. It's just one date.”

“Thank you.” Spike smiled, though Twilight's objections embarrassed him.

“So, does later tonight work for you, Spike?” Celestia asked.

“Later tonight?” Spike was taken aback. He didn't expect Celestia to ask for a time so … soon. “Uh, yeah, sure! I can make that work.”

“It's a date! I know a great restaurant in Ponyville. I'll take you there.” Celestia said.

“He was the one that asked you.” Twilight said. Twilight said. If she couldn't stop the date, she might as well as least remind them of proper dating convention. “Don't the rules of dating say he should be the one to take you to a restaurant?”

“Oh, hush, Twilight Sparkle.” Celestia said. “A little role reversal never hurt anypony. Well, unless that pony's name was “Star Swirl” and he's trading places with the Princess of the Sun for a bet. Boy, was that was ever a mess! Let me you tell about it sometime.” Celestia cast her gaze toward Canterlot. “Well, I'd best be getting back to Canterlot. I asked Luna to cover for me while I came over for this visit, but I can't expect her to hold on forever. I'll see you later tonight?” She turned to Spike.

Spike nodded.

Celestia smiled, spread her wings, and took to the air.

Spike smiled and blushed. He couldn't believe it. He was going on a date with the Princess - tonight! He'd had better get ready.

He put a good foot forward and turned to enter the library to shower and pretty himself up, but he froze when he saw Twilight Sparkle standing the doorway, glaring at him with her front legs crossed.

“Hrmm.” Twilight let out a frustrated grunt before turning and going inside.

Spike rubbed the back of his head. He could tell he had touched a nerve. He realized now, as long as he was committed to this date with Celestia, he would have to walk with a careful tread around Twilight.


At the Carousel Boutique, Rarity and Hayseed were dancing in the afternoon, enjoying each others' company. They spun around in circles around the room, their front hooves on the others' shoulders to keep them steady and hold them close.

“Isn't this nice?” Rarity asked. “Just the two of us together … alone with no pony but each other.”

“Uh, yeah.” Hayseed grimaced and looked at the floor.

“Hayseed, what's wrong? You don't seem to be enjoying yourself.”

“It's nothing. Just… have you, uh, have you talked to Spike lately? You know, since you made the big announcement about us being together?”

“Spike?” Rarity was surprised. “No, I don't think I have. Why?”

“Well, it's just … I know you two were close before I came along.” Hayseed said. “I wouldn't want my presence here to get in the way of that.”

“Why would you think your presence would get in the way of me being friends with Spike?” Rarity asked.

Hayseed turned away. He could tell Rarity about Spike – about his crush. About the lying and deception. But he wouldn't. He liked to think of himself as a nice guy. When Spike was ready to face his reckoning, Hayseed would be there to see it. But he wasn't going to force the issue early. The last thing he wanted to do was to tarnish Spike in Rarity's eyes. Even if he might have been a little deserving of it, but Hayseed still thought of himself as a relative stranger, and he wouldn't appreciate a stranger telling him about the less moral side of a close friend of his.

“No reason.” Hayseed's voice slipped into a country drawl. “No reason at all.” Hayseed's eyes widened when he heard his voice and realized his slip.

Rarity giggled, covering her mouth. “That's funny. For a moment there, I thought you sounded like … like Applejack.”

“I ...” Hayseed stammered. “That's because I did. When I was in Canterlot, buildin' up my business, I learned how to speak like all those fancy folks. You know, so I could … get y'all to love me, what with you bein' a fancy pony and all ...”

“Oh ... Hayseed.”

Rarity wrapped a leg around Hayseed and bent him over her leg. Hayseed was unprepared as Rarity turned their dance from a slow waltz to a sudden tango.

“How shallow do you think I am?” Rarity asked. “I'm more than just a pretty face. Did you think you having a country accent would make me unable to love you? I mean, I do know you grew up in Ponyville, after all. Just like me.”

“Well, I ...”

“Besides, do you think if I was willing to let a little thing like accents dictate who I choose to spend my company with, I could be such good friends with Applejack? If I can look past that for her, I'm sure I can do the same for you.”

“I just … I just wanted to be the stallion you were looking for.” Hayseed said, managing to recover back into his Canterlot voice.

“Hayseed … I want there to be no secrets between us. No masks. No lies.”

Rarity ran her hoof across Hayseed's chins.

“Speak to me in your country accent, Hayseed. Let me hear your real voice.”

Hayseed was about to speak up when there was a knock at the door.

“Oh, honestly!” Rarity complained. “Doesn't whoever is out there realize we're in the middle of a private moment?”

“Rarity?” came from the other side of the door. “Are ya there? It's Applejack. I want to talk.”

“Oh my.” Rarity said. “Well, that changes things. Do you mind if I ...” Looking to Hayseed, Rarity pointed at the door.

Hayseed shook his head. “Not at all.”

“Come in, Applejack!”

Applejack inched open the door. “Thanks, Rarity. I really appreciate y'all … am I interruptin' something?” She noticed Hayseed thrown back across Rarity's grasp.

“No, no, it's fine.” Rarity told Applejack as she helped Hayseed get to his hooves. “We can always pick up where we left off later. What did you want to talk about, Applejack?”

“The same thing as the last time.” Applejack looked at the ground, disheartened. “The same thing as every other time. The same thing it will continue to be, for the next few days, and the few days after that, and the next few days after that, until we do it the whole year round ...”

“Oh, don't speak like that, Applejack.” Rarity approached Applejack and put a hoof on Applejack's shoulder. “We'll figure something out.”

“Figure what out?” Hayseed asked.

Rarity looked to Applejack. “Do you mind if I tell him?”

“Eh, I doubt I'll be seeing you two separately from now on, so might as well.”

“Applejack has got just the worst crush on Twilight Sparkle.” Rarity explained. “Twilight Sparkle being one of her best friends, not to mention a Princess, you can see how she might have some … issues about it.”

Hayseed nodded. “Indeed. Don't worry, Applejack, I know what your goin' through.” Hayseed placed a hoof on Rarity. “I used to think Rarity was completely out of my league. But then I went for it, and now we're both happy.” To prove his point, Hayseed engaged Rarity in a nose-to-nose nuzzle.

“I see what your sayin', Hayseed, but this is still different. Rarity didn't have the authority to legally order y'all to be executed if she didn't like what y'all had to say ...”

“Oh, come now, Applejack. Do you really believe Twilight would do something like that?”

“Probably not.” Applejack admitted, rubbing the back of her neck. “But still, there's always the fear of something like that happening, ya know?”

“Well, Hayseed and I are perfectly happy with each other.” Rarity said, pulling Hayseed close and embracing him. “I can't imagine why you and Twilight couldn't be the same way. In fact, later tonight, he and I are going to go this fancy restaurant on the south end of town ...”

Rarity paused. Her eyes shrunk. With a slow crawl, a smile crept upon her face.

“Uh, Rarity? Are y'all okay? Y'all got this … look on your face like Rainbow Dash gets when she's about to do something stupid.”

“I … have just had a brilliant idea!” Rarity exclaimed. “You and Twilight Sparkle should come with us!”

Hayseed and Applejack both raised eyebrows.

“Beg your pardon?” Applejack asked.

“Hayseed and I will take you and Twilight to the restaurant with us! And while there, you can open your heart out to Twilight and woo her to both your hearts' content! It'll be just like a double date!”

Hayseed was willing to go along with it, thinking it was a good idea – he might never have found Rarity if he wasn't in the right place for it.

Applejack felt otherwise. “Rarity, I'm not so sure that's such a good idea ...”

“Oh, nonsense.” Rarity said. “I won't take no for an answer. It'll be great, you'll see. Just you wait. I promise you, Applejack, it will be magical.”


Later, long after night had fallen on Ponyville, Rarity and Hayseed stood outside the entrance to the restaurant of their choosing.

Rarity tapped her hooves on the ground. She looked around for Applejack. “Where is she? She should have been here by now ...”

“Now, now.” Hayseed said in a gentle voice. “She did seem a little uncomfortable with this whole thing, Rarity. She could very well not show up.”

“But she has to!”

“Rarity, you should know you can't control what Applejack or any other pony decides to do. Are you so sure you know what's best for Applejack?”

Rarity gave him a disbelieving look, offended he would even consider asking such a question.

“It's for her own good, Hayseed. Trust me, she needs this.” Rarity looked off into the distance. “You haven't seen her wasting away like I have, trying to drown out her problems with a bottle, rotting and pining for somepony so close, and yet so far away ...”

Hayseed looked to the ground. He wanted to comfort Rarity, console her, but he wasn't sure what to say.

“Ah, look … maybe Twilight's just being difficult, okay?” Hayseed raised his head up. “Look.” He pointed. “There they are.”

Applejack and Twilight walked on to the scene. Twilight Sparkle seemed to be enjoying herself, giving a pleasant smile, while Applejack grimaced and turned her visage away so Twilight couldn't see the worry on her face.

“Hello, darlings!” Rarity waved at them, inviting them in a smile. “We were beginning to worry you weren't going to make it.”

“Oh, no worries, Rarity!” Twilight said. “It did take Applejack a while to convince me to come. After all, it seems a little odd to me that you would invite Applejack and I to hang with you on your date and not Rainbow Dash or Fluttershy or Pinkie Pie. But if this is the company you want to keep, who am I to judge?”

Rarity and Hayseed gave each other a grimacing, worried look.

“Yes, well, quite right, darling. It's not like there's something else going on here, is it?” Rarity asked through a forced smile, nodding towards Applejack, who continued to look away from either her or Twilight.

Twilight cocked an eyebrow. “That's an … interesting choice of words. Is something wrong?”

“I can assure you there is nothing wrong with me.” Rarity brought her hoof to the door. “Shall we go inside?”

Rarity began to apply pressure to the door, but Hayseed intercepted her, removing her hoof from the handle.

“Ah.” Hayseed opened the door for them. “A lady should not have to open doors herself while on a date.”

Rarity cooed. “Oh. Such a gentleman!”

“Indeed.” Twilight said. “I can see why you like him.”

The three mares went in, with Hayseed holding the door open until they were all inside. Applejack dragged her hooves, though, which displeased Hayseed. He didn't want to stand holding the door open all night. Hayseed went in after Applejack, letting the door close behind them.

Rarity walked up to the waiter at the counter of the front entrance. “Table for Rarity, please. Party of four. It was going to be two, but plans changed.”

The waiter nodded. He pulled out menus for them and guided them to a table at the far back of the restaurant. As they sat down, Applejack began to feel out of place. There were all these other ponies present, chatting and eating at the tables, dressed in suits for the stallions and sequin dresses for the mares. And here she was, a simple country farmer with a princess in Twilight, a successful business owner in Hayseed, and a proper lady in effect, if not in blood, in Rarity.

“Here are your menus.” The waiter said. “Our special tonight is the mock turtle soup.” He whipped out a notebook and a pencil. “Is there anything I can get for you?”

“Lemonade would be lovely, darling.” Rarity said.

“I'll have what the lady's having.” Hayseed draped a leg around Rarity.

Rarity giggled. “Oh, you.”

“Just some water will be fine, thank you.” Twilight told him.

“Y'all got any sprizters?” Applejack asked.

Rarity gave a disapproving glare which made Applejack feel both small and guilty.

“Ah … just water for me, too.” Applejack told him while glancing at Twilight. The waiter nodded, acknowledging her order, and left to go get their drinks.

Rarity was satisfied and nodded to let Applejack know she approved before sitting back in her chair and relaxing. “There. Two lemonades. Two waters. Creates a nice symmetry, doesn't it?”

Applejack rubbed the back of her head. “If you say so.”

“You know, they say two ponies who order the same drink are destined to wind up together.” Rarity said.

“What?” Twilight blinked. “I've never heard of that. That doesn't make any sense. Statistics show a large portion of ponies prefer water as their choice of drink when going out. If Rainbow Dash and Pinkie Pie were here with Applejack and I, and we all ordered waters, would we all be destined to get together in a polygamist union?”

“It would be nice if you would get together with one of those ponies you mentioned ...” Rarity muttered under her breath.

“You're making this up.” Twilight concluded, not hearing Rarity's muttering.

“Fine. So what if I am?” Rarity crossed her hooves. “I just want to try to add something special to the evening that all four us could enjoy, that's all. I'm a romantic, Twilight. You know this.”

“Yes, I do. But could you at least try to stick with baseless romantic tricks that make some amount of sense?”

“Baseless?” Hayseed ask.

“Yes. Studies show that a significant percentage of things used to determine 'couple compatibility' don't actually result in any happy unions. You know, things like personality quizzes, sharing common likes and dislikes … horoscopes. That sort of thing.”

“Funny.” Hayseed said. “You would think, with all the magic we have in Equestria, ponies would be able to come up with better methods than that.”

“You would, wouldn't you?” Twilight gave an amused smile. “But magic just doesn't work that way. It's not that simple.”

“Your drinks, madams and one gent.” The waiter said, returning with a tray of glasses filled with either clear of yellow liquids, decked with lemon wedges wedged onto the brim of the cups. He distributed the drinks among them, took their orders for food, and left.

“So, Rarity … what made you invite me and Applejack over the rest of our friends?” Twilight asked. “Oh, not that I'm trying to make you feel bad! Just curious. You know, for comparison.”

“Well, I figured of all our friends, you two were the best to come appreciate the finer qualities of the restaurant with Hayseed and I.” Rarity gave Hayseed a romantic nuzzle.

“Really?” Twilight said. “Are you sure? Because I think Fluttershy might like it here more than Applejack … not that I mean anything by that!” Twilight tried to assure Applejack. “It's just … it's very quiet in here. Fluttershy would like it.”

“Mmm. I'll have to keep that in mind the next time I send out invites ...” Rarity pursed her lips. “After all, it's not like I meant for this to be more than just a get-together between friends.”

Rarity's hint not only flew over Twilight's head, it kept going until it crashed into the wall. “What do you mean by that, Rarity?”

Rarity glared at Twilight. Sulking, Rarity sunk into her chair. “Nothing.”

“Rarity?”

“Yes?”

“You've been very confusing this evening.”

And you've been oblivious. Rarity thought, though she was kind enough to keep the thought to herself. She glared at Applejack, who was staring into her cup of water. Not that you've been any help to your own cause, Applejack. I'm doing this for you, you know.

The waiter arrived with their food. Plates of fresh food waved trails of steam through the air, enticing Rarity and company with the scent of their deliciousness.

“Mmm, that smells lovely, darling.”

“Wait until you actually eat it.” The waiter gave his smug reply before setting the plates down on the table. “Bon appetit.

“My compliments to the chef.” Rarity said.

The waiter left them to eat their meal in peace.

Applejack got ready to dig in, picking up a fork and preparing to stab her food ...

“Applejack, no! That's the salad fork!” Rarity yelped.

Applejack observed the fork in her hoof. “I don't understand y'all fancy system for this nonsense. A fork's a fork.”

“I know, right?” Hayseed agreed, letting his country origin show. “I still can't keep it all straight in my head myself ...”

“Exactly!” Applejack pointed the fork at him. “Honestly, why don't they just make one big … I don't know, super-fork that covers every use?”

“One size fits all!” Hayseed joked.

“Because.” Rarity hissed. “The organization of fine dinner silverware is an important part and tradition of the fine dining experience. It's what separates us from the animals.”

“Rarity, I hate it to break to you, but we're animals.” Applejack and Hayseed chuckled while Rarity blushed and fell silent.

“Hey … ” Applejack turned to Twilight, who was spinning her fork through her food in circles without lifting it up and eating it. “Are you all right, Twilight? You haven't said a word since the food got here.”

“Funny. You hadn't said a word until the food got here, Applejack.” Rarity said.

“I'm … fine, Applejack. Really.” Twilight answered. She went back to drawing circles.

“Yeah, all right. Hey, uh … listen.” Applejack looked away from Twilight, rubbing the back of her head. “I've got something I've been meaning to tell ya, Twilight ...”

Rarity stopped dead in her movements. She put her hooves on the table and leaned forward, her chair scooting out from underneath her. It was unladylike, but she didn't care.

Twilight's ears flicked in response to Applejack. She turned towards Applejack while still rotating her fork with one hoof.

“I, uh …” Applejack's attention was brought to the fork scraping around on Twilight's plate, making Applejack grit her teeth. “Consarn it, Twilight, you're driving me crazy with that thing! What's wrong?”

Rarity groaned and fell back into her chair, disappointed at Applejack for dodging the issue again. Though she would be lying if she said Twilight's perpetual dragging of the fork wasn't beginning to annoy her too.

“It's nothing.” Twilight said. “It's just … ugh.” Twilight dropped the fork and pushed herself away from the table. “Spike asked Princess Celestia out on a date.”

Applejack, Hayseed, and Rarity all reacted with a stunned silence. Hayseed, in particular, raised an eyebrow with a curious interest in this.

“Um … all right. That's a little unusual.” Applejack said.

“It wouldn't be so bad, except … she said yes.” Twilight said. “And I'm just … I'm having a hard time accepting it. Spike is a vulnerable place right now, and I don't want him to get hurt.”

“Oh, come now, Twilight!” Rarity said. “You don't honestly believe the Princess would do anything to hurt little Spike, do you?”

“On purpose? No. By accident ...” Twilight let them fill in the rest. “Besides, it's not really the Princess I'm worried about.”

“I … see.” Rarity's words came out strained, as she and Hayseed both took on worried expressions, their teeth gritting and eyes going wide.

“Rarity?” Twilight asked. “What's wrong?”

“Oh. Nothing. Nothing is wrong!” Rarity waved her hoof and tried to laugh it off. “But, um, Applejack, do try to keep Twilight from looking behind her, would you?”

“What? Why?” Twilight asked.

“Yeah, I'm curious about that myself. Why?” Applejack asked.

“Oh, no reason. Just do it. Please, darling. This is night is going to go sour if you don't.”

“What could possibly be so bad that it will ruin the whole night?” Applejack asked and turned around. She put on the same wide-eyed expression as Rarity and Hayseed when she saw the same thing they were seeing.

“I'm quite curious about that myself ...” Twilight said.

“Uh, yep. I agree with Rarity.” Applejack said, staring transfixed. “Don't turn around, Twilight.”

This only stoked the fire of Twilight's curiosity. “What is going on over there?” Twilight turned her head around before Applejack could stop her.

Twilight's jaw hung agape.

The same waiter who had greeted them at the door and led them to a table was now performing the same service for Spike and Princess Celestia.

What?” Twilight mouthed, unable to even speak. She supposed she couldn't blame the waiter for bringing Spike and Princess Celestia to a table. After all, it was his job. But given how serious was she taking the issue, and Celestia's flippant dismissal of her concerns earlier, Twilight still felt as though it was some kind of betrayal, even though the waiter owed no loyalty to her.

“Um …” The waiter stuttered as he pulled out his notepad. He was overwhelmed to see Princess Celestia sitting in the restaurant where he worked. “We have a wide variety of dishes available for your enjoyment, Princess. You just tell us everything you want and we'll-”

Celestia held out a hoof, asking for his silence. “Please. Today, I want no special treatment due to my status as a princess. I just want a nice romantic evening like anypony else. As far as you are concerned, I am just another pony. Understand?”

“Understood, Princess.”

Celestia glared at him, not amused. “What did I just say?”

“My apologies, Prin-” The waiter caught himself in time. He took in a deep breath, which helped. “My apologies, ma'am. What can I get for you?”

“That's better. Do you have anything romantic?” Celestia asked.

“Er, yes. We have the Couple's Special dinner, as well as ...” The waiter looked at Spike. “Well, I do not think the dragon here is mature enough for those specials yet.”

“Hey ...” Spike was offended. “What do you mean by that?”

Celestia giggled. “He means they're alcoholic, Spike.”

“Oh.”

“We'll have the Couple's Special.” Celestia handed her menu back to the waiter, who took it and left.

“I can't believe this.” Twilight said, turning back to her own table.

“Aw. Hey, come on, Twilight.” Applejack wrapped her leg around Twilight's shoulders. “Just ignore it.”

Twilight shook her head. “How can I just ignore it, Applejack? My mentor is, against my wishes, going on a date with my assistant!”

“I understand, Twilight, but they're not doing anything to us. Just leave 'em be.”

“You don't understand, Applejack.” Twilight massaged her temples. “The Princess … she was so … flippant earlier! Do you have any idea what it's like to be trying to tell somepony something that they need to hear, only for them to ignore you and make it seem like your feelings don't even matter to them?”

Rarity cringed.

Applejack rolled her eyes away from Twilight. She rested her knee on the table, leaning her head into her hoof. “Yeah. Sure sounds unpleasant …”

Twilight closed her eyes and sighed. “I'm sorry, Applejack. You were trying to say something a moment ago. What was it you wanted to tell me?”

Applejack's eyes widened. She didn't expect Twilight to be able to steer the conversation back after seeing Celestia in the building. “I, uh ...”

“Yes, Applejack.” Rarity said. “What was it you wanted to tell Twilight?”

Applejack could feel sweat drip down the back of her neck, which spoke volumes about how nervous she was; the air in the restaurant was maintained a comfortable chill temperature.

“I … I've been meanin' to ask y'all if the library has any good books on pest control.” Applejack said.

Rarity took in a deep, frustrated breath while Twilight gave Applejack an odd look.

“Applejack, you know the library has books on pest control. You've rented all of them in the past. If I get any new ones, I'll tell you.”

“Now, Applejack … I think we both know that's not what you really wanted to tell Twilight, is it?” Rarity asked.

“No.” Applejack ran a hoof across her sweating face. “Look, Twilight, the real thing I wanted to tell y'all was ...”

“Yes?” Twilight said. She wrapped her hooves Applejack's hoof. “Applejack, I'm here for you.”

Applejack took her free hoof and ran it through Twilight's hair. “I just wanted to say that I like the way you style your mane. The pink stripe y'all have really makes it stand out.” Applejack flashed a nervous grin.

Better.” Rarity whispered.

“Um, okay. Thanks.” Twilight said. “I'm not sure why just complimenting my hair was such a hard thing for you to say, Applejack. But it's all out now, right? You feel better now?”

“Yeah ...” Applejack muttered and looked away.

“Good. And if there's anything else you need, don't be afraid to ask.” Twilight cupped Applejack's cheek.

Applejack smiled, though it went away at the sound of laughter coming from Celestia and Spike's table. Not so much because Applejack had a problem with it, but because Twilight cringed at the sound and took her hoof away from Applejack to plug into her own ears until the awful sound reminding Twilight of the Princess's irresponsibility in this matter died away.

“What are they even doing over there?” Twilight asked, turning around and putting her hooves on the chair, raising up to spy on Spike and Celestia. Spike and Celestia clinked their glasses together in a toast before they both took a drink.

“Hmm.” Applejack rested on the table again. She felt something bump into her hind leg and looked across the table. Rarity gestured for Applejack to go under the table.

Applejack lifted the tablecloth up and looked under the table, where a napkin was held afloat in the blue glow of Rarity's magic. Applejack grabbed it and unfolded it. There was writing on it.

Dear Applejack,

What you're doing isn't working. Please, just abandon all subtlety, grab Twilight by the cheeks, and give her a big and wet kiss.

Sincerely, Rarity.

Applejack looked up to Rarity, who had a smug grin.

Applejack smacked her forehead with her hoof, using her leg to cover her eyes and try to make the reality of the situation go away. Though she did enough sense to crumple the napkin up before Twilight could get a peek at the writing. It would raise several uncomfortable questions if Twilight saw it.

Applejack laid the napkin in her lap and sighed. She supposed there was nothing for it. “Twilight -”

Across the restaurant, Spike and Celestia began laughing again. Watching them, it was obvious they were laughing at something Spike had said.

“That's it. I can't take it anymore.” Twilight pushed her chair away from the table and got out from her seat. “I'm going to give her a piece of my mind.”

“Twilight, wait!” Applejack and Rarity tried to get Twilight not to go, but their pleas fell on deaf ears.

Twilight marched up to the table where Spike and Celestia. Celestia saw her coming and was exasperated. Spike blushed, embarrassed, and curled up in his seat, trying to hide behind his cup.

When Twilight Sparkle was about a meter away from their table, she raised her hoof, ready to let Celestia have it and tear into her.

Right as Twilight opened her mouth to speak, Celestia pointed her horn at Twilight. Celestia's horn glowed, and Twilight Sparkle disappeared from the restaurant in a flash of light.

Well, Rarity did say this evening was going to be magical, though this wasn't quite what she had in mind ... Applejack might have made a sarcastic quip if she didn't have more pressing concerns.

Applejack and Rarity were shocked. They bounded out of their seats and ran towards Celestia. They got on their knees and begged.

“Princess, no!”

“She didn't mean it!” Rarity said.

“She was just upset!” Applejack said.

“Please, don't send Twilight into an alternate dimension, or – or to a jail, or banish her and then put her in a dungeon in the place you banished her to!”

Celestia gave them both a blank stare before bursting into laughter.

“Oh, my little ponies! You have such active imaginations! Relax. Twilight Sparkle is fine. I merely teleported her outside of the restaurant. I'm pretty sure I know what she wanted to say, and I wanted to hear none of it. I have been her mentor for several years. I will not be lectured by her.” Celestia took a calm sip from her glass. “Honestly. Banishment, alternate dimensions, dungeons in foreign lands. Where do you ponies come up with all these strange ideas?” Celestia gave them an amused smile.

Rarity chuckled. “Well … some of us have nightmares about this sort of thing happening to us, and you are the pony with the highest authority in the land, so ...”

“Excuse me.” Applejack said. “I have to go. I'm gonna go make sure Twilight is okay.”

“You do that.” Celestia said.

The conflict averted, Spike dared to raise his head up. “Hi, Rarity.”

“Hello, Spike. Well, I'll leave you two to your date.” Rarity bowed and made her exit.

Spike averted his gaze.

“What's wrong, Spike?” Celestia asked.

“Oh ... nothing.” Spike said.

On the outside of the restaurant, Applejack swung the door open. “Twilight? Twilight!” Twilight was standing a few feet away from the restaurant, in the exact pose she was when Celestia's magic activated. Unhurt, but staring at the distance in shock while she tried to process what just happened.

“Twilight, are you okay?” Applejack ran up to Twilight and placed a hoof on Twilight's shoulder.

“I can't believe she did that.” Twilight put her raised hoof on the ground. “I can't believe she did that!”

“I know, I know.” Applejack said. “Come here. It'll be okay. You want to talk about it?”

“Yes, yes I do. At length. Are you sure you want to hear it?”

“I got all the time in the world, Twilight.”

“I'm her student!” Twilight said. “I lived under her for several years! Does what I have to say mean NOTHING to her anymore? And Spike! He didn't even raise an objection! Can you believe him? And another thing ...” As Twilight continued ranting, Applejack's thoughts began to drift.

Maybe she could take advantage of this. Maybe she could capitalize on Twilight's emotional state for a bonding moment between them and plant the seeds for a relationship between the two of them …

No. No. Applejack shook her head, dismissing the thought. This was the sort of tactic used by ladies' men and pick-up artists, and Applejack did not want to sink herself to their level.

So she sat down on the grass, listening to Twilight in silence, taking in dozens of words without ever uttering one herself.

Rarity, sticking her head out the door of the restaurant with Hayseed, had a different opinion on the matter.

“Come on, Applejack!” Rarity muttered. “You have the perfect opportunity to make a move! Come on! Make a move. Make a move.

“Now, Rarity, think about that. Are y'all sure that's the best idea?” Hayseed ask. “Twilight is a little emotional distraught right now. If Applejack were to try and take advantage of that for her own romantic gain … well, that would be kind of scummy, wouldn't it?”

Rarity sighed. “I suppose so, yes. But still … anything would be an improvement over what she's been doing.”

As Twilight concluded her rant, she fell to her haunches. She was reeling from a whirlwind of different emotions, ranging from anger and betrayal to sadness and depression. Tears began to trickle down her cheeks as she was overwhelmed by the realization of how much Celestia's dismissals of her and her concerns, her voice, had hurt her. “I can't … I can't believe she would treat me this way! I mean, do I still mean anything to her anymore?”

“There, there.” Applejack patted Twilight on the back. “It'll be all right. You'll make up with the Princess. You always do, remember? That's one thing I can say for sure, is that no matter what happens, you and the Princess will find ways to make up eventually.”

Twilight sniffed. Though she was still crying, she wore a smile. “Thanks, Applejack. You're right. This is just … a rocky phase, right? Not even the best of relationships are perfect, are they?”

Twilight reached around and gave Applejack a hug. Applejack returned it, resting her chin on Twilight's shoulder.

“Thanks, Applejack. You're a good friend.”

“Yeah.” Applejack muttered into Twilight's ear. “A friend. And nothing more ...”

“Hmm? Did you say something, Applejack?”

Applejack paused, having to give careful thought about how she wanted to answer.

“No, Twilight. I didn't say anything ...”

Author's Note:

Not a lot of Spike in this chapter, huh?

I know Celestia probably seems kind of like a jerk in this chapter, but I have plans to address that. This story will not just be Celestia being a jerk while the other characters passively take it.

I also meant for the whole "teleporting Twilight Sparkle" thing to be more an act of passive annoyance than overt aggression. If your much younger-than-you student tried to give you a lecture, wouldn't you get upset?

So … you know that waiter in there, who gets all flustered about having to serve Princess Celestia? It wasn't until I had gotten to writing that part did I remember that TWILIGHT was a Princess, so why wasn't he awkward around her? OH WELL.