• Published 8th Jun 2014
  • 2,148 Views, 54 Comments

Are We Alone?: A Spore Story - Heat Horn



The ponies of Equus have long since stopped their search for other life in the universe, but when Twilight Sparkle stumbles upon the archives of the long lost research how will she react?

  • ...
6
 54
 2,148

Project First Contact

Author's Note:

Hi guys thanks for the support in this story and points to the guys who can guys what project d is. Anyway here is your chapter and as always please leave a comment and suggestion and a like if you feel that the story deserves it

It was a regular day in Ponyville for Twilight Sparkle except that she and her friends were invited to the Grand Galloping Gala...again. With memories of the first one beginning to resurface, she did not want to go but alas the princess herself had deemed her presence mandatory thus requiring her to go. Two of her friends agreed to go with her as moral support but the rest had stayed behind for fear of what may happen to them should they go to the Gala once more. Twilight along with Rarity and Applejack, the two daring souls who had agreed to go with Twilight on her trip, were currently being wished a farewell and good luck by the rest of their friends, Pinkie Pie, Rainbow Dash, and Fluttershy as they boarded the train to Canterlot.

"Thanks for coming with me girls, it really means alot to me especially after what happened last time" Twilight said to Applejack and Rarity as they all took their seats. all of them slightly cringing at memories form last years Gala.

"Oh t'aint nothin' Twi, after all what're friends for?" Applejack said as she attempted to brighten the mood

"Applejack is absolutely right Twilight it is our obligation as friends to accompany you to where ever you go, even if that means going back to that dreadful Gala." Rarity stated backing up Applejack

"If that is true then why did the others stay behind?" Twilight said in a slightly depressed manner as she put her bag below her seat "I mean I would understand if Fluttershy wouldn't want to go but Pinkie Pie and Rainbow Dash were who I thought would want to go again. I mean I know that Rainbow Dash would love to see the Wonder Bolts again and Pinkie did have fun last year so what so different now? is it because i'm a princess?

"Well dear I think that Pinkie is still a bit traumatized by last years Gala, you know being so embarrassed and all, so i'm not really surprised that she didn't come but rainbow is the real mystery" Rarity said trying to think about how Pinkie could be feeling right now it is quite odd that she would miss a party, even if it was the Gala Rarity thought to herself.

"I bet Dash just chickened out" Applejack mumbled under her breath

Rarity catching the comment Applejack had made felt the need to defend her friends honour "Applejack! how could you say such things about our friend, and behind her back no less!" Rarity bemused

"I didn't mean nothin' Rare it's just that it ain't like Dash to just leave us like that, I mean she is the Element of Loyalty" Applejack said trying to redeem herself from the snide comment she had just made about her friend

"Girls can we not have an argument here, were not even in Canterlot yet" Twilight said while pointing to the looming city of Canterlot off in the near distance

"Ok" Applejack and Rarity said almost at the same time. An awkward silence ensued shortly after

"So what're ya gonna do at the Gala Twi, I mean i'm sure that you can find something to do other than greeting the nobles an' all" Applejack stated after about 30 seconds of silence

"Yes Twilight do tell, and if you do have plans could I possibly join you?" Rarity said hoping to at least get some excitement out of the Gala that didn't involve wrecking the event.

"Well the princess didn't really say what I was supposed to there other than to be there so..." Twilight suddenly paused to think of what she could do there

"I guess we could go to the library, if you're up for it" Twilight said with a weak but visible smile on her face

"I suppose it's better than just sitting around with a bunch of stuck up, rich, and snobby nobles" Rarity said with a hint of doubt but it was enough to convince Twilight that Rarity wanted to go. Applejack slightly snickered at the comment that Rarity made but she sure not let Twilight or Rarity hear her.

The rest of the train ride went by without incident mostly due to the fact that they were seated in the royalty section of the train and no other royalty was riding with them. As they got of the train however, they were surprised to be greeted by an entourage of royal guardsponies.

"Hey Twili, over here!" Shining Armor said running over to Twilight with a big grin on his face. As he ran by each of the eight guards saluted him.

"Shining Armor?! your here?" Twilight said in shock just before Shining Armor wrapped both of his hooves around her in a tight hug, which she returned half in shock and half in gratefulness that her brother had been sent to meet her.

"Yeah Twi, the princess said for me to bring you strait to Canterlot Castle because she wants you to help with the preparations for the Gala tonight" Shining Armor said with a crisp tone in his voice almost as if he was giving orders but Twilight elected to ignore it

"Princess Luna also told me that she wanted to see you after the ball was over but she didn't mention why" Shining stated quite blankly while bringing a hoof to the bottom of his chin in a thinking manner.

"I will be sure to attend both meetings and also attend the main event, though may I ask why Celestia would want me to help her with preparations?" Twilight asked snapping her brother out of his trance.

"Oh yes... well Princess Celestia said that the ball could use a younger generations touch and seeing as last years ball was very boring I think she's right." Shining Armor said remembering last years Gala.

"Sir we have to move" one of the Guardsponies stated looking at Shining Armor

"Oh yes well lets go" Shining Armor said in reply. He then turned to Twilight and her group "Twilight, Rarity and Applejack please board the carriage" he said pointing to the near by royal carriage which was silver and looked like it had been polished five times before they got to use it, it also bore the mark of the sun indicating that it belonged to Celstia's devision of the guard. It was hooked up to two earth pony guards which looked quite buff, the first had a white coat, brown mane, and a barely visible cutie mark of a wheel. The second of the two stallions was a bit less buff than the other, he had a light brown coat, a white mane and the cutie mark of a lance.

The trio of mares trotted up to the carriage and quickly sat themselves down on the soft cushions of the royal carriage while the guards closed the door and assumed their positions around the carriage.

"Move out!" Shining Armor said with force behind his voice as he took the lead, and with that command they were on their way to the castle.

"What do you have planned for the preparations Twilight?" Rarity asked in an attempt to make conversation

Twilight suddenly felt a surge of shock course through very being, suddenly remembering that she had done no planning what so ever in terms of the preparations.

"Oh no..." Twilight said with a squeaky and barely audible voice

"Hmm? What was that darling I didn't quite hear you?" Rarity said thinking she heard Twilight say something

Twilight, who was now in shock said simply "[size=1.5em}"THIS CAN'T BE HAPPENING!!!!" her shout reached the outside carriage causing the two earth ponies to lose their balance a bit before quickly regaining it and slowing their pace so one of the guards outside could check on their passengers.

Rarity's reaction was not so grateful, she had been covering her ears with her hooves and was curled up in the corner of the seat up until the sudden lurch in the carriage caused by the two ponies pulling it. Rarity was now lying on the floor with outstretched hooves and her face planted on the ground

Applejack on the other hoof was handling the situation quite well and was currently laughing at Rarities position. "Hahahaha oh Celestia you should see your self right now! Hahahahah" Applejack said with no remorse.

Suddenly the door burst open to reveal a white unicorn guard who quickly asked "Is everything alright here your highness?" the guard asked with genuine concern. He was slightly amused by the situation the mares were in but he didn't show it.

"Oh it's nothin' ta be concerned about sir" Applejack said to the guards pony barely able to contain her laughter. The guards pony then closed the door and gave the all clear signal for the rest of the team to move out

"Well I never thought that, in my state, one of my friends would opt to laugh instead of helping me" Rarity said as she attempted to get back onto her seat while pouting towards Applejack. Applejack had already resumed her bout of laughter knowing that the guards pony was gone and completely ignoring Rarities remark

While the other mares bickered Twilight had begun too write her preparation plans on a scroll that she had packed along with quills, ink, a few snacks, and about 9 more scrolls.

"We are approaching the castle, please remain seated and try not write." a guard said through an open window looking at Twilight.

The carriage ride from then on was filled with argument after argument by Rarity and Applejack due to Twilights lack of intervention. For the rest of the carriage ride Twilight had been so focused on her planning to even care about what was happening around her, that is until she felt someone tapping her shoulder.

"We have arrived your highness" the guard said to Twilight after getting her attention " Very well then" Twilight replied before proceeding to separate Applejack and Rarity.

The trio walked into the castle and began thier trek towards the central ball room where the Gala was to be held, and once they had entered the room they were greeted by a familiar face.

"Hello my little ponies, I trust you had a great ride?" Celestia asked the three ponies who had already begun to bow.

"Well ta be honest yer' majesty we didn't really see eye to eye the whole trip so it was kinda uncomfortable" Applejack said gesturing to herself and then at Rarity "I have to agree with Applejack on this one we didn't really have the best ride going here..."

"I-it's nothing really Princess the ride was alright" Twilight said trying not to give Celestia a hard time. The ride was kinda unsatisfactory Twilight thought to herself debating whether she should say what she fealt

"Oh come now it can't be all bad right?" Celestia said to Rarity and Applejack as she motioned for them to sit at one of the many table that had already been brought out for tonight's celebration.

After a brief explanation of what had transpired on the train and the carriage they started talking about Twilights preparation plans which she had hastily prepared during the carriage ride. The whole talk went by smoothly despite the argument that Applejack and Rarity had about who was feeling more uncomfortable but overall it didn't take more than a quarter of an hour, afterwards the trio went up to their respective room and spent most of the afternoon there. While Celestia and Luna along with most of the castle staff were downstairs making Twilights plans into a reality.

"I wonder if this years gala will be different... I just wish I was also down there with them helping them with the preparations" Twilight said softly to herself whilst lying on her bed. I could always go to the library to wait she thought to herself right before getting up and heading off to the Library.

As Twilight walked towards the Library she began to ponder on what books to read while she waited for the preparations to be completed. As she reached the Library she had made her decision

"I wonder if they have any new books?" she said to herself as she pushed the Library door open and walked over to the Librarians desk

"How can I help you your highness?" the librarian said with a happy tone in her voice looking up from her filing cards

"I was wondering, do you have any new books?" Twilight said hoping that she wouldn't have to go back to lying idle by on her bed.

"Why yes miss Sparkle we do indeed have a new addition to the assortment of books called 'Equestrian Myth's and Legends'
the book is called 'Extraequestrials' and I think that you might enjoy it, I know that you like the more science oriented books" The librarian said as she pointed Twilight in the direction of the 'New Arrivals' section of the library .


"I wonder what Twilight and Applejack are up too" Rarity said to herself as got up from her bed and went to the vanity set in her room and began to brush her mane.

"Maybe Twilight is at the library...I should go check" Rarity stated simply, right before walking out her door and going to the library where she hoped to find Twilight

Rarity began trotting towards the library in hopes of ending her boredom sooner. As she walked to the door she began to question her methods of 'ending her boredom' because for all she knew twilight would be wrapped up in some super advanced science-y book that she couldn't hope to understand.

As she opened the door the Librarian quickly looked up to her and opened her mouth to greet her new customer however she was interrupted even before she could speak

"Umm... excuse me but have you seen Twilight Sparkle anywhere?" Rarity asked the librarian before she had the chance to speak hoping to get a quick answer.

"Yes, in fact she's sitting over there absorbed in a book called the 'Extraequestrials' and it doesn't look like she'll be finished any time soon" the librarian said pointing over to where Twilight was sitting.

"Thank you very much, oh and if I may ask, What is the book about?" Rarity said knowing Twilight would want to talk about her newest interest, and she would most likely talk about it with her so it wouldn't hurt to at least have a little understanding on the subject.

"If I remember correctly it is about the possibilities of other races existing in the universe besides us, It's finest record is that of project First Contact which features an actual alien message. I don't remember when the project was held though... sorry" The librarian said trying to remember every detail from when she had first skimmed the book.

"Thank you so much" Rarity said before walking towards Twilights table awaiting the extreme lecture that would come next


"Oh Rarity so Glad you could make it I was wondering when you would get here?" Twilight said barely looking up from her new book

"You never mentioned to me that you were going to the library?" Rarity replied in slight befuddlement

"Oh sorry I thought you knew, oh wait... sorry for not mentioning it on the carriage ride either." Twilight said in a calm voice suddenly recalling that she had not set a time frame for their activity.

"Oh it's fine dear really" Rarity said looking at the book that Twilight was holding hoping that she could grasp a better understanding of the subject at hand. She immediately regretted that she hadn't grabbed a copy for herself.

"Do you want me to explain it to you?" Twilight said with a huge smile wanting to test her own knowledge on the subject

"Well..." Rarity hesitated silently debating her choices:

1. Reject and say that i'll just grab my own copy

2. Run away

3. Accept my fate

"Ok fine but could you make it simple so I can understand?" Rarity said as she chose her option and silently wished that she had made the right choice.

"Ok then here look at the book we'll read it together" Twilight said as she pulled Rarity in closer and opened the book wide enough so that they could both read comfortably.

"The theory of other races first started with the 'Hoofwell (Roswell) Sightings'" Twlight said pointing towards the blurry picture of what seemed to be a thin blimp. Rarity squinted but she failed to see anything off-putting about the image.

"It then grew stronger after another sighting right here in Canterlot" Twilight said now pointing to a less blurry picture of what seemed to be a ball-like object floating over the Castle"

Twilight elaborated a bit more on the subject but Rarity got bored after the second statement and decided to skim the book instead of actually reading it.

"Umm... Twilight what's that? If you don't mind me asking" Rarity inquired pointing to an odd looking machine that had a big bowl-like things on top

"Hmm... i'm not sure" Twilight said as she began to read the text that was beside the photo. As Twilight was reading she go more and more interested but the first thing that struck her was that it had an audio file included within the page

"Hey look Rarity a pre-recorded sound matrix, lets see if i can power it up with my magic" Twilight said looking at the book and hoping that the matrix wasn't corrupted

The matrix suddenly activated.. and then deactivated again much to Twilights dismay

"I'm going to go ask the librarian what's wrong do you want to come?" Twilight asked Rarity motioning for her to come along

"Of course Twilight, this whole alien thing just got a lot more interesting after all" Rarity said looking at Twilight gleefully before moving out of her char and began to follow suit.

"Can I help you?" The librarian asked shocked to see Twilight there with the white mare that she had seen before. She had expected that the white mare would come alone due to the fact that Twilight never leaves her books.

"Yes umm... The matrix in this book seems to be corrupted do you know how to fix it? I have no experience with sound matrices" Twilight said as she handed the book over to the librarian

"Hmm... yes well I can tell you that the Matrix it not broken it's just that we have a feild in this library preventing any sound related spell so that the building remains as quiet as possible" The librarian said much to Twilights dismay.

"However you can borrow the book and then use the matrix outside the library" The librarian said levitating a stamp next to the book offering to let her borrow it

"Oh yes please!!" Twilight said happily

The librarian then stamped the book and gave it to Twilight who took the stamped book strait out the library intent on getting to her room and listening to the recording

Rarity who wanted to leave politely gave the librarian her name and then asked for hers

"My name is Diamond Gem but you can just call me Diamond" The librarian said before saying good bye to Rarity and resuming her work

While she was waiting for Rarity in her room Twilight read that the recording was an actual translation of an alien message. The two mares met once again in Twilights room, ready to hear the recording on the book.

"Come one play it i can't hold in the suspense any longer Twilight" Rarity said quite impatiently

"Ok, Just give me a second" Twilight then readied herself and then released a bolt of magic strait to the page on the book. The sound Matrix absorbed the magic and began playing it's message.

This is project First Contact audio recording 3

"-DAY MAYDAY!!"

*static*

"-ELP I'M HIT!! GOING DOWN!!! I REPEAT GOING DOWN!!"

*static*

"THIS IS BATTLESHIP FOXTROT 4 CRASH LANDING IN SECTOR 2 4 3 7 6 0 8... If anyone hears thi-"

Twilight and Rarity stood beside each other and looked at each other both with puzzled and scared faces. They could only say one word...

"WHAT?!"