• Published 6th Jun 2014
  • 3,115 Views, 108 Comments

Burning Day Reckoning - Cerulean Voice



Philomena, Fawkes, and Ho-Oh must come together once more, this time to halt the destruction of all phoenix-kind across the multiverse. A sequel to Burning Day Brethren.

  • ...
8
 108
 3,115

Comet Burst / Chapter Two: Dragon-speak

On what was supposed to be a normal and quiet morning in the mountains far to the south of Canterlot, things were not as they should be. In a place where the most common sounds were either leaves rustling in a gentle breeze or a cheerful greeting between ponies, an ear-splitting shriek rang out across the rolling hills, heralding the presence of quite possibly the most angry dragon in recorded Equestrian history.

Far above the ground, a black shape flew, its eyes sharing the angry red glow that adorned its wingtips. A hint of gold sparkled next to the harsh red, along with a most unusual red-and-black-striped pattern on the beast’s belly.

The monstrous dragon roared as the ground below its immense shadow exploded in various places. Irregular blobs of concentrated darkness slammed into the grassy expanse at incredible velocities, causing small eruptions from the dirt below to reach up ten metres into the air as it flew by. Enraged beyond the ability to form a cohesive thought, it approached a large forest stretching on to the east. On a whim, it opened its maw and let loose a stream of pink fire, setting the proud trees ablaze.

Quick as it began, the jet of fire was cut off by another shriek, this one of pain. Giratina faltered in her flight as she retracted her shadowy wings. Without any further support, she plummeted down, splitting the burning trees like they were twigs. As the ground approached, she spread six stumpy, gold-capped appendages and slammed down with enough force to cause tremors throughout the surrounding area.

A cloud of dirt and dust whipped up, cloaking her entirely within two seconds before settling. From inside the brown air, Giratina’s glowing red eyes and wings—along with the shadow silhouette of her body—slowly made themselves visible as she stomped out of the dirt. After a few strides, the regal golden crest upon her head emerged from the cloud. She threw her head back and shrieked again, louder than any prior roar.

Ho-Oh! I will tear you and your friend feather from feather when we meet again!

As the vibrating ground stilled in the echo’s wake, Giratina looked down at her chest and eyed the stripes that ran along it. At the fifth stripe, a large scorch mark had singed her scales, glowing slightly at the edges. Snorting, she lowered her head to try and lick the wound. When her tongue touched its mark, her scales seared even hotter than before. Another agonised roar escaped her as she reflexively moved her head away.

Once the pain had subsided, she cast her glowing eyes back to the angry welt. Burning me? Ho-Oh is indeed a fool to think this would work. Bah! Were it not for that other bird, I would have defeated him with ease.

Casting her eyes away from the burn, Giratina glanced out at the world around her as if only truly realizing it was there for the first time. It was definitely an alien world, something like the one she was banished from long ago. Instead of blue husks, brown trees with green leaves rose around her, almost of equal height. The ground beneath her was not the angry red clay color of home, but instead was awash with various shades of green, brown, and gray. Looking up, she saw a clear sky of palest blue—a perfect summer day.

I hate this place, she thought bitterly. This is unnatural. All these colors and sounds, the way the sun heats my scales, the gravity... everything is wrong. What kind of nightmarish place is this?

Giratina marched forward through the columns of trees, brushing them aside with little resistance. She scanned all directions around, noting where the treeline ended in the distance and where there appeared to be buildings beyond. Deciding it was best not to provoke retaliation in her weakened state, Giratina ignored the town and pressed on through the forest. This will do fine. For now, she grumbled as she approached a steep cliff leading up to a nearby mountain summit.

Turning around, she eyed the wake of destruction she had left. The once-proud forest had been shoved aside; a splintered pathway ran through it, riddled with pointy stumps and snapped trunks that made it resemble a spike trap. In the distance, clouds of black smoke rose into the air as the blaze continued to burn.

A fitting herald for the cataclysm to come, she thought. And soon, every Pokémon in this world, including Ho-Oh, will come to fear my name. They will speak it with fear to one another as they cower in their dens, wishing for me to overlook them.

Giratina relaxed, letting her huge bulk fall freely to the ground. Several stones shattered beneath her sheer bulk. An amused snort escaped her.

Once I heal myself of this accursed burn, Ho-Oh will learn the meaning of pain. He will come to rue the name Giratina, just as my dear egg-mates do.

Confidence swelling her ego, Giratina let loose another cry, this time one of triumph. Arceus had been wrong when he thought the Distortion World could contain his greatest creation forever. He had banished her there as punishment for the fire she had rained down upon those who should grovel at her and her “brothers” for protection. His seal was not permanent, though, as she had clearly demonstrated.

Laying her head down, thoughts of her greatest accomplishment—her escape from the Distortion World—flooded her mind and clouded out the unnatural world. It was not as hard to escape from there as she had initially thought, especially when she could glimpse into the world of Sinnoh anytime she wanted. Mostly, she had used it to spy on her “brothers”: the egg-mates and traitors known as Dialga and Palkia.

It had started in a rather mundane way with her spying on Dialga as she had uncountable times, trying to figure out a way to escape from the blasted prison she was confined to. As she had watched him, an odd quivering in the broken space of the Distortion World caused her to lose focus. She was wary, to be sure, but when nothing appeared to be there, she had felt the space quake again from another direction. Following the path of the vibration, she eventually stopped at a random point in the “sky” of the world with no answer as to what the quivering was. Deciding it was best to see what was going on in the “real” world, she had opened a glimpse into an unfamiliar forest, followed by the sight of a large phoenix flying overhead, a rainbow trailing it.

Curious, she had looked away from the scene, back down to where she felt the first shiver. Following the path in reverse, she had eventually stopped not too far from where the tremors started and reached out with her ghostly powers, feeling for anything that could have caused them. What she found almost made her cry out in sheer joy: there was a weak spot in the world that she could see through to with her mental powers. An expanse of swirling blue mist surrounded what looked to be a gigantic circular dish of ethereal water, surrounded by several perches, seemingly suited for birds.

With a yawn, Giratina succumbed to sleep, her thoughts melting away. As the ambient sound of dragon snores filled the air, her body began to shimmer. Her hulking form slowly faded away, revealing with crystal clarity the cliffside behind her.


“Dude, I swear something has to be there. I mean, look at the forest!”

Giratina twitched as a faint voice disturbed her sleep.

“Yeah, but do you see anything? All I see is the cliff.”

“The cliff is completely fine! That means whatever did this either thought, ‘Hey, I’ve caused enough destruction to the trees, so cliff, you get a break’ or is still here!”

“Why do you want to find what did this? What if it’s big enough to squash you or, judging from what it did, eat you?”

Giratina groaned as her mind began to wake up, still fatigued from earlier in the day. She was registering the words, and they were not making her happy.

“You honestly think something would try to eat a bona fide dragon? We live in a world where we are the biggest threat, and not even the ponies could stop us if we banded together!”

“Ponies have magic.”

“So do we!”

“They have allies.”

“We have our own kind as allies!”

“There is no reasoning with you, is there?”

“Dude, shut up. I know whatever did this is still here, and I want to find out what it is, even if you’re too scared. Like a pony.”

“I’m not scared! I’m older than you and mature enough to know this is a bad idea!”

“We hatched on the same day! Stop lying!”

“I hatched first, so I’m the eldest, and you should listen to me.”

“You hatched seven minutes earlier!”

Giratina let out a low growl as she forced an eye open against its will. A bright light immediately flooded her vision. She hissed and squeezed the eye shut, stinging from the unwelcome intensity.

“Okay, what was that?”

“Something… big.”

“I told you it was still here!”

“All the more reason for us to leave it alone!”

Exactly, Giratina thought.

“Go running back to the nest, then. I’m going to find out what did this.”

“Garble, don’t!”

Giratina had just finally forced herself to wake up when she felt a smaller dragon’s claws press up against the underside of her tail. Her eyes snapped open in response as the claws stopped and searched her tail, moving towards a very uncomfortable place.

“There’s something here! Something big and… warm?”

Giratina let out the loudest shriek she had ever cried and whipped her tail over the claws, hurting her own ears as she lifted her head. Although her vision remained blurred, she could see a blot of red flying towards the trees.

Aaaaaaahhhhhh!” the red blot screamed, accompanied by the sound of several trees snapping.

Blinking away the blurriness, Giratina looked around for the other voice that had awoken her. Sure enough, the blueish blot ran toward the red one, its claws clutched over its ears.

“Garble!” it shouted as it entered the mess of broken trees.

Giratina forced herself up onto her legs and winced as the lingering burn stung her chest. She hadn’t fully healed yet, something that caused her temper to flare beyond her already-stretched patience. Those pesky little whelps not only woke her and violated her, but she was still injured from that blasted Ho-Oh. Someone was going to pay for all of this, and it wasn’t going to be a random forest this time. Just as the red and blue whelps emerged from the forest, Giratina decided it was time to reveal herself in the most terrifying way she could think of.

“Dude, what the heck was that?”

“I told you this was a bad idea! Some giant, invisible thing destroyed half of the forest, and you had to go and poke it!”

“It felt weird too. Like, it was all tough and solid when I first touched it, then it got all squishy and warm.”

Giratina had heard enough. The red one was going to die.

Wasting no time, she shimmered into view, and the tiny dragons froze in their tracks. As she stared down at them, her eyes felt like they were going to burst into flames; if she were a fire-type, she was fairly sure they would have. For a few moments, the smaller dragons did nothing while she heaved, restraining the urge to go berserk.

“Garble,” the blue one whispered. “I think it’s looking at you.”

“Don’t move,” Garble whispered back. “Maybe it can’t see us if we don’t move.”

“That is the dumbest thing you’ve ever said. We’re bright blue and red!”

“It’s not moving, is it?”

“That doesn’t mean it won’t!

Giratina stifled a throaty growl. Did the whelp known as Garble just assume she was blind? She was sure now that when he died, she would grind whatever was left of him into the ground to make sure he died twice.

“Garble, back away from it slowly.”

And the blue one too. With rejuvenated energy beginning to course through her body, Giratina felt the wind pick up around her. She let loose another obnoxiously loud roar, lowering her head to their level for added effect. A blast of wind hit them and toppled them over, legs scrambling as they struggled to escape.

With all the force she could muster, Giratina stomped after them, roaring again. Filled with an unquenchable rage, she followed the two of them, destroying more of the forest as she went. They were agile little worms, but her sheer size made it easy for her to track both of them at once. It also helped that they stayed close to each other, but she was more focused on Garble than the blue one.

Garble looked behind at her only to shout in fear and redouble his efforts to flee; it seemed to Giratina that he was making the chase seem more like a game. Playing along with her new pawn, Giratina opened her maw and breathed out a mass of shadows. It coalesced into a blob-like orb in front of her and shot toward Garble; it smashed the ground in front of him and caused a small explosion.

“Garble!” the blue one shouted as it tried to make its way over to its friend while avoiding Giratina.

“It can shoot things!” Garble shouted back, leaping over the crater Giratina had left.

Roaring again, Giratina tried to launch another Shadow Ball at Garble, but it seemed that fate had other plans for him besides becoming a pulpy mess for Giratina’s amusement. As she followed, a single broken and splintered tree trunk she had formerly smashed protruded into her path, aimed directly at the lingering burn. Once she closed the distance, the shaft stuck itself into the burn. The Shadow Ball she had made fell straight down and snapped the tree trunk in half, embedding the pointed end even further into her burn.

A shriek that could wake the dead erupted from her as she toppled over, flailing about while she tried to deal with the extreme pain. More and more trees fell as her tail and legs swung about, but it seemed each involuntary movement only made the pain worse. Pain escalating, she kept on wailing and flailing, even as Garble and his buddy watched from a distance, still shaking in terror.

“What the heck is going on?”

“I don’t know, but there is only one sensible thing to do at this point.”

“Oh yeah? What’s that?”

“Run away while we have the chance!”

Slowly, the blue dragon backed away into the mass of splintered wood, eyes fixed on the hulking terror the whole time. Garble began to edge back himself, but paused about halfway between the monstrous dragon and the safety of the still-standing forest. He watched her with a confused expression as her flailing slowed and more pained cries came from her, a small pit filling his stomach.

“Garble! Let’s go!”

“Hold on,” he shouted back. “It sounds like it’s hurt!”

“Good! It tried to kill us!”

“So?”

“So? You wouldn’t be saying so if it ate you!”

“But it didn’t!”

“Ack! You know what? Fine! Go help the monster! I’m going home!”

“Fine!”

Fine!

Shut up! screamed a voice that rattled their skulls. Shut up, both of you! I swear I will—Gah!

As if the scream in their minds wasn’t enough, the beast gave another ear-splitting shriek. Its massive golden head whipped down at the large tree trunk jammed into its chest, but the girth of its neck stopped the head short.

Watching it snap its jaws in frustration, Garble felt a twinge of pity for it. Deciding to ignore caution yet again, he began to approach the wounded monster. He moved slowly, taking careful steps and pausing when one of the glowing red eyes looked at him. Eventually, just as he came within possible devouring distance, he froze and stared up at the beast.

“If I help you, please don’t eat me!” he shouted.

Lunging forward, Garble darted to the tree trunk and dug in his claws, carving fresh marks into the splintered wood. He pulled down as hard as he could, causing the trunk to shift a bit and the beast to wail in pain again.

Ouch! Be more careful, whelp!

The voice rang in his skull again. Using what little courage he had left, Garble braced himself and gave another tug, making it shout even louder. The trunk slid more, slipping between the scaly hide of the beast and the soft flesh underneath. The wood seemed to be stuck, but after a sudden lurch by the beast, it slipped free. Garble let go, flaring his wings and hovering as the trunk crashed to the ground.

Smiling to himself, Garble’s confidence drained as he looked back at the beast, its red eyes lowered to his level. For a few seconds, neither one of them moved. Just as he was sure it was about to lunge, the beast blinked, and the intensity in its eyes lessened.

As thanks for your help, I have decided to not kill you just yet, the voice spoke again, this time less loud but more smooth, and still laced with venom. I will give you this one chance to escape. When I reawaken, I had better not see you again.

“Uh, thanks?” Garble said, his brow wrinkled in confusion. “You can, er, talk?”

The glowing gaze of the beast locked onto him again. I can speak, think, and feel, whelp. Remember that next time you go poking around my body.

Garble blinked at the statement, but suddenly began to blush as the tail of the beast moved; evidently, this thing was female. To compose himself, he cleared his throat and stood up straight. “Um. What are you? I’ve never seen anything like you before.”

A snort came from the beast as it settled onto the ground and smashed the remaining trunk beneath its leg. I am a dragon, fool. You should be able to recognize your own kind. Now get moving before I change my mind.

Garble gulped and considered flying off for a second, but his curiosity of this new dragon overruled his common sense yet again. “Do you have a name?”

The dragon remained silent for a few moments before it spoke again. Giratina is my name, whelp. Woe betide you if you ever forget it.

Garble grinned to himself. “If you want, I know of a place you can go where no-one will pester you out of fear. It’s where all the other dragons in Equestria stay.”

Giratina glanced back to Garble and narrowed her eyes. She didn’t like other dragons: in fact, she downright hated them. They were monsters and always wanted to pick a fight with her, most times under the commands of some puny Trainer. Still, despite the stupid, clearly Trainer-given name, Garble did seem to be a wild Pokémon. Perhaps he was released? In any event, she did need a safe place to rest up where Ho-Oh wouldn’t be able to track her, and these other dragons would make it hard for him to locate any trail she would leave.

Grunting, Giratina rose to her legs and winced as her burn flared up again. Very well. Take me there, and I may not kill you for a week.

“Sure, but what’s wrong with your scales? Were you burned by something?”

Giratina looked down at herself, eyeing the blackened spot on her otherwise pristine scales.

“Dragons are supposed to be heatproof,” Garble stated, staring with awe at the same spot.

A throaty growl escaped Giratina. You must be a dual fire-type dragon. The same cannot be said about myself. In any case, a phoenix gave me this. I will devour him and his entire wretched species for the insult.

“You hate phoenixes?”

Giratina snapped her head up to look at Garble, who was starting to smile stupidly again. I hate all things, but this phoenix especially will pay for what he did to me.

“Then I have some friends you’ll want to meet.” Garble pointed over the remaining forest toward another outcrop of mountains. “I think you’ll find we have more in common than we thought.”

Author's Note:

Here's Comet's first chapter! Woo! He really brought a lot of unique, previously unconsidered ideas to the table.
Hope you enjoy!