• Published 5th Jun 2014
  • 3,920 Views, 197 Comments

Summertime Romance - Nightlock106



Vinyl and Octavia meet at summer camp. They can't stand each other at first, but as time passes on, they soon realize that there is more to summer than having fun on the beach.

  • ...
32
 197
 3,920

Not So Happy Camper Pt.1

I looked out the window of my room, thinking about all the fun I was going to miss with my friends this summer. All of them were going to DJ Fest XIV and I was going to be stuck at some stupid camp for the next three months. I sighed softly and got out of bed. I looked around my still darkened room - sunlight doesn't start shining in my room for another two hours - trying to find a place to hide from all of this. But sadly, it was no use trying to fight it, if I didn't go to this camp, mom would keep me in solitary for the whole summer. I flipped on the light on my nightstand, cringing a bit as the light hit my eyes full blast. I looked around the room again, not really knowing why in the first place.

There was a knock at my door, "Vinyl, sweetheart, are you up yet?"

"Yeah mom, I just got up."

"Well hurry up and get dressed and come downstairs for breakfast."

I walked over to the dresser and opened it up. I pulled out a dark blue sleeveless shirt and a tight black miniskirt. I took off my pajamas and looked at my naked body in the mirror. I cupped my breasts for a second and then let them go. "I swear these things keep getting bigger every week." I got dressed quickly and ran downstairs where I was greeted by my little brother.

"Good morning sis."

"Good morning snot breath," I said playfully.

He giggled and went back to playing with his toy cars.

I walked into the kitchen where I was greeted with the smell of freshly made pancakes drizzled in honey and maple syrup, vegetarian sausages, and lightly buttered toast. My mouth began watering as I walked over to the stove.

"Have a seat Vinyl, it'll be ready in a moment."

I sat down at the small dining table in the living room and turned on the TV. Of course the first thing that was on was my little brother's Saturday morning cartoons. I sighed to myself and put the remote down. If I tried to change the channel now, Tex would start throwing a fit. I sat there in extreme boredom for what felt like hours before mom finally came in and set our breakfast on the table.

"Tex, come on son before it gets cold."

"Awwwwww but the show is just getting to the best part," he whined.

"You know you're not allowed to eat food on the couch."

He rolled his eyes and walked over to the table. He climbed up into his booster seat and looked down at his plate, "Looks good mom."

"We better hurry up, we don't want Vinyl to be late for her first day at camp."

I looked at her, "But mom, do I really have to go to this camp? I mean, it seems kind of pointless if you ask me."

"Vinyl, this camp is not just something I'm making you do to get you out of the house for three months. I'm sending you there so that you can learn to be an independent woman. You're eighteen now, and pretty soon you'll need to know how to live on your own. That's what this camp is for."

Tex seemed confused, "But I thought camp was all about having fun and having adventures in the woods."

"Not all the time, though it may seem that way at first, many camps will use what they do to teach kids skills they would need in real life."

"How does that work?" he asked, stabbing one of his sausages with his fork.

"I'm not sure to be perfectly honest. But it seems to work most of the time."

I continued to eat in silence while my mom and my brother continued to talk about what camp life was supposed to be like. I couldn't stand it to be honest, it only made me hate the idea of going to camp even more. How I wished I was with my friends on their way to DJ Fest.

Mom turned and looked at me with concern, "Vinyl, are you alright?"

"I'm fine, I just really don't see the point of me going."

"I already told you why I'm sending you to camp."

"I know, but I don't see why I can't just learn all that stuff from you."

"I'm doing this for your own good."

"But all my other friends are going to DJ Fest, and I really wanted to go with them."

"You're too young for that kind of thing Vinyl."

"I'm eighteen, I can take care of myself."

"No you can't, you're too young to be going to parties like that."

"Nothing like that goes on at DJ Fest."

"How do you know?" my brother asked.

"I just do okay."

"Look Vinyl, you're going to camp and that's final. Life isn't all about music and DJs."

I groaned in annoyance, and left the table and went back up to my room, slamming the door behind me. Why can't parents just be more understanding? I heard a knock on my door and my mom walked in. She walked over to my bed and sat down next to me.

"Vinyl, I'm only doing what's best for you. When you're older you can go out and do whatever you want to. But for now, you have to listen to what I say. Understand?" she asked comfortingly.

"I understand."

"Good, now hurry up and get packed, we need to be there in a couple of hours," she said as she got up and left my room.

I got up from my bed and began to pack everything I could fit into my suitcase, filling it to the point that it can barely close. I picked it up and lugged it downstairs, setting it down with a heavy thud.

"What's in that thing, bricks?" Tex asked.

"It's only the essentials."

He shrugged it off and mom walked into the room, "Are you two ready to go?"

"As ready as I'll ever be."

"You'll be okay Vinyl, trust me."

I rolled my eyes as we headed out the door. I walked up to the car and put my suitcase in the truck, slamming it shut. Mom was adjusting Tex in his car seat by the time I got into the car. I closed the door, and put in my earphones and shut myself off from the world around me. Mom got into the car and tapped me on the shoulder. I took off one of my earphones and looked at her, "What?"

"There's something that I want to talk to you about later when Tex falls asleep."

"Alright," I said, putting my earphone back in as we drove off towards camp.

About thirty minutes into the drive, Tex finally fell asleep and mom tapped me on the shoulder again.

"Vinyl, you know I love you a lot right?"

"Yeah."

"And you know that nothing will ever change that?"

"Yeah," I said, kind of wondering why she was asking me these questions.

"I read your journal Vinyl, I know."

I turned and looked at her with shock, "Y-You read my...journal?"

"It was only that one time. Vinyl, I don't hate you for who you are."

"Y-You know that I..." tears began to fill my eyes.

"Vinyl, it's okay. I don't hate you because of that. You are who you are and nobody can change who you are."

"But I thought you'd hate me over it."

"Vinyl, I'm your mother, no matter what happens, I will always love you. It doesn't matter that you're a lesbian or not."

"Why didn't you say anything about it before?"

"Because I wanted to wait until the time was right to talk about it."

"Why did it have to be now?"

"Because there's another reason I'm sending you to this camp. I want you to find love."

"You mean...you want me to get a girlfriend?"

"Of course, you're old enough to know when you're in love with someone."

"But how do I..."

"That's up to you. I can't help you with love, you have to figure it out on your own."

My mind went completely blank and I just sat there in silence. I wasn't sure how to process any of this. She's sending me to camp to find love? I thought it was for me to become an independent woman. Maybe finding love is part of it. Or maybe it's the final step to all of it. I wasn't even sure if my thoughts were making any sense anymore.

After about another hour of driving, we finally made it to Camp Crystal Lake. I looked around at all the people there, and was surprised by how excited they seemed to be. I figured that most kids would hate be shoved off to camp for the summer, but I guess I was wrong. We found a place to park and got out of the car. I grabbed my suitcase out of the trunk and set it on the ground. Mom walked around to the back and greeted me with a warm smile.

"Have fun while you're here. And don't forget about what we talked about."

"I won't."

She gave me a quick hug, "I love you Vinyl."

"I love you too mom."

"Promise me you'll stay safe while you're here."

"I promise."

She gave me another smile and got back into the car. I waved goodbye as she backed out of her parking spot and left the camp. I picked my suitcase back up and made my way to the center of the camp where everyone else had gathered. There must have been about two hundred kids here, chattering, giggling, or just awkwardly waiting for something to happen. After a few moments we all heard a loud screeching sound that caused us all to jump.

"Good afternoon everyone," said the woman standing behind a podium. "My name is Mrs. Melody, welcome to Camp Crystal Lake. I run this camp along with my husband, Mr. Melody. Before we go over the rules, I would like to talk to all of you about what this camp is about. This camp is about teaching young men and women how to become better people and teaching the skills necessary for you all to become independent. While you are here, you will all learn the most important skills you will need in order to live on your own, such as making important life decisions and things of that nature. Though it may seem boring, we also love to take time to have fun and relax for a couple of days. Which is why for the first three days, you can all do whatever you like. But then, we get serious and begin our work on making you all into wonderful and respectable adults. Now, I would like to turn it over to Mr. Melody who will go over the rules."

She walked away from the podium and Mr. Melody took his place, "Thank you, and I would also like to say, welcome. Over the next three months, you will embark on a journey that will change your lives. But, this journey isn't without its rules. The first rule of CCL is no harassment of any of your fellow campers. If we get a report about you harassing, or catch you harassing another camper, you will be sent home immediately. The second rule is, no inappropriate relationships with fellow campers. Now, I'm not saying that you cannot start dating another camper, all I'm saying is keep it PG. The third rule is..."

Ugh how long is this going to go on, I thought to myself. I began to look around at everyone here to see who they were, hoping that one of my friends was also sent here. But to my dismay, none of them were here. As I continued to look around the crowd, I found a few girls that I might try to get to know and maybe ask out, though I doubt they'd go for a girl like me. I looked back at the podium as Mr. Melody was finally getting done telling us the rules.

"And the final rule here at CCL is maintain a positive outlook as best you can. Now that we've gotten the rules out of the way, lets get you all assigned to your cabins. Boys' cabins are located on the eastern side of the camp, and girls' are on the western side of the camp. All of you head to your sides of the camp and then me and Mrs.Melody will assign you your cabins."

Everyone picked up their bags and headed straight for the cabins. They weren't too big when you looked at them, maybe only a couple hundred square feet at the most, which to me felt a little too small. Finally everyone arrived at their sides of the camps and began to get cabins assigned to them. I was the last one called on the list and was sent to cabin 213-G. Mrs. Melody handed me the key to the cabin and I hauled my suitcase over to it. The odd thing about this cabin was that it was the largest out of all of them, though not by too much, but still enough to be noticeable. As I made my way to the cabin, I began to think I was going to be the only one staying in it, seeing as how I was the only one called for it. I made it to the cabin and opened the door and was greeted by an unexpected roommate.