• Published 4th Jun 2014
  • 815 Views, 41 Comments

Fate's a Funny Thing - Honest Wisdom



Wisdom loves her Family, Even if they're ponies... And a Dragon... And A Draconequus. This is what happens in her New Life as Princess Twilight's Ambassador and Royal explorer.

  • ...
3
 41
 815

New faces

When I arrived at Twilight's palace She was speaking with a light pink Alicorn and a white Unicorn. "Hey Twi!"

She beamed at me. "Hey Wisdom! Cadence, Shining Armour, This is Wisdom."

The Unicorn's eye's widen in fear once I take a step towards Twilight. Before I know it I'm surrounded by guards pointing their spears at me.* My eyes narrow and I snap open my wings. The Earth rumbles under my claws as I rise to my hindlegs and take a fighting stance, my magic sparks up inside my heart and spreads through out my entire soul. "Try it, bub."

"Wisdom!" Twilight's voice cuts through my mind. She looks at Shining Armour. "Call them off!"

He shrinks back like a scolded foal. "But... Twily.."

"Don't 'Twily' me!" I observe with an amused expression. Twi just bitched her older brother. This day couldn't get any better if it was raining bits! "Wisdom is my friend and she's done nothing rude or mean or attacked anyone in the four months she's been staying with me. Except for an incident with Discord a few months ago... but they made up!"

The Alicorn placed a hoof on Shining's shoulder. "Sweetie, give her a chance to talk. Besides, doubting Twilight never leads to anything good."

He grunted and the Guards stepped away, a bit eagerly. I walked up to the unicorn. We watch each other for a while. I grin. "I like him. He's tiny*, but amusing."

He spluttered. "Wha... I'm not... You're... I am not tiny!"

"Of course not," I whisper so Twilight can't hear. "You're married to an Alicorn, Can't think of any other reason to that." There are a few snorts from the guards. The married couple blushes fiercely. "Ha! Let's go in, I'm starved."


The two princesses make Shining and I sit next to each other. Spike comes in carrying a platter of dishes. Mine is covered in a dome so the delicious little beasties don't crawl into other people's lunch. The minute I remove the dome I hear the sound of retaching. "Ha!" I pick up a centipede as it tries to scurry away. "Weak." I crunch the bug in my beak.

"Isn't it facinating! It turns out that Gryphons are Omnivorous, not Carnivores like they claim." Twilight exclaimed.

"I still need Protein, so I eat bugs so I don't have to go hunting all the time."

"Really," Cadence asks, looking a little sick. "Why aren't you eating any fruit?"

"Fruit is Breakfast, Bugs are lunch, Seeds are snacks, veggies and fish are dinner." Spike sets down a bowl of gems and picks out a sapphire. "Twilight insisted on a schedule. It works fairly well, still don't like the fish though**." He muttered the last part.

Shining places a magic dome on his food as a few beetles try to get close to it. I snatch them up happily. "Most Gryphons act all big and tough in public. They pretend that they'll only eat fish or wildlife. Bugs are actually considered a delicacy in the higher classes."

"Urk... That's umm... very interesting." Shining says.

"I have an entire wing of my library dedicated to Gryphon Magic." I cough. Twilight grins like a mad mare. "It's fascinating."

Cadence and Shining look at me, intrigued. "Gryphon... Magic?" Shining asks.

I laugh nervously. Spike bolts out of the room and the Guards shift nervously. "Twi, I think you shouldn't have mentioned that." I looked down at my lunch. I sigh and use a gust of wind to clean up the bugs and cover them with the dome.

Shining freaked out. "Guards!"

I laugh. "My specialty is Fire magic and I'm twice the size of anyone here, if I was going to hurt someone I would've done it already." He blushes and gestures for them to relent. "Besides, mages are fairly uncommon. we're considered freaks and normally banished from our Flocks." I ruffled my feathers and let out a bit of fire magic through my crest. "I have a new Flock, Here in Ponyville." I look him in the eyes. "When I was just a hatchling, my father trained me to kill ponies, he thought that I could be a valuable asset. but he forgot that mages are naturally non-violent, We have problems killing bunnies for Celestia's sake!"

"She teaches the foals how to control their inner magic and use it in useful ways, she even started giving Discord fighting styles. She's really good too." Twilight blurted. "He's been forgoing magic to do things on his own."

As if on que he appeared and whooped loudly, "She said yes!" He disappears again in a flash of light.

I grin. "Hey, Spike? How much does Twilight owe me?"

He burped up a scroll and checked it. "200 bits."

Twi grumbled and levitated a pouch over to me. "Twily!" Shining exclaimed.

I chuckle. "Go big or go home."


I guide the couple through the castle, their guards following on either side. "If you need anything during the night, pull one of those ropes, it'll alert spike and me. Are your guards gonna stick with you the entire trip?"

Shining nodded. "That's the idea."

"Well, looks like we'll finally have some use for the barracks. Here you two go, and the rest of you follow me." I start off toward the barracks and feel someone tug on my tail. I look back around and met Shining's eyes.

"I don't think so. Their staying close to us." He growled.

"Shining," Cadence started.

"Don't you dare try to pull rank on me." I snarl and step forward. "I'm tired, I'm late for training and I've been nothing but kind to you. You have a problem with me fine, but you let me do things my way and you're in the clear. Piss me off," I snap out my wings and summon a gust of wind. "And there'll be Tartarus to pay."

I look at the guards, "Come on. Princess Twilight would like you to stay in the barracks." I flip around and storm off, the Guards trying to make as little noise as possible.

Author's Note:

*That's what she said.
**The books I retrieved included a fairly large tome on Dragon physiology. After reading that Twilight made eating schedules for both of us.

----------

Do NOT mess with a PO'd Gryphon Mage. They will burn you. Shining Armor meets Wisdom. I figured that since he was in the military he might have some reservations about a Gryphon living at his sisters place. He might view her as a threat to her safety and not like her.