• Published 19th Jul 2014
  • 3,636 Views, 149 Comments

The Life of Death - Nightmare Darkness



She is death and darkness but to her friends she is simply Vine. Meet the pony grim reaper and her exploits from getting the job to collecting souls.

  • ...
26
 149
 3,636

Spikey Wikey

Discard wiped away a tear as my expression showed that I was less than enthusiastic about dealing with another dragon.

"Know any?" I ask.

"The world dragon, or Henry as he's known." Lucifer said.

"Pass. Anypony else?" I inquired. Lucifer shrugged simply as Discord stood up and walked over.

"She burned that bridge with her last visit with Henry. But I happen to know of another....dragon if you can call him that." Discord smiled mildly.

"Is he a dragon or not." I asked pointedly.

"He is, but he's young one." Discord said. I waited for him to explain more but he was quite finally I asked.

"What is his name. Where do I find him?" Discords smile seemed off but he answered.

"Spikey....Wikey and he lives in ponyville." He said sounding serious for the first time ever.

"Spikey....Wikey." I say as if this was a joke.

"Yes he works in the town library with a unicorn named Sparkler Twig." He said rolling his wrist.

"Ok we will go get this Spikey Wikey from Sparkler Twig place and bring him back to light the furnaces." I said to Lucifer who nodded and looked to Discord who gave him two thumbs up.

"Hurry back." He said as I walked to the door leading to a tower and walked through it and into a library that was grown inside a tree by the looks of it. The smell of ink, wood, old pages of books permeated the air. A purple coated unicorn was walking down the stairs floating books in front of her obscuring Discord. But she must have caught a glimpse of him because she doubled over dropping all of the books.

"That's Sparkler Twig." He said holding back some laughter. My eyes became half lidded.

"That is Twilight Sparkle. I know her from seeing her before...." I corrected. Twilight scrambling to her hooves then looking at the Chaos god she glared.

"Discord, what are you doing here?" She said defensively through clenched teeth.

"I need you dragon." He said simply.

"No." She was quick to reply.

"I don't think you have a choice." He sounded villainous and I looked up to him with disapproval.
Twilight's horn glowed.

"He's not going anywhere with you alone." She said with a hint of anger.

"I'm not alone." He said which gave her pause. At that moment I wondered if I can let ponies see me.

Then the door behind Discord and I burst open and Rarity, Pinkie Pie, and Fluttershy in followed by a walking pile of boxes and bags. They slumped down and a small purple dragon with green scales whipped his scaled forehead.

"Oh Darling Spikey Wikey....thank you for." She stopped mid sentence as they all looked at Discord and the only one happy to see him was Fluttershy who trotted up to him.

"Oh um Hi I didn't know you were going to be in t-town." She said softly.

"Hello Fluttershy, this was a bit spur of the moment on business." He said softer than his usual tone.

"You look tired have you been eating right?" She asked with eyes of concern evaluating him. I looked at them and Pinky had not said a word because she was staring at me. There was no doubt she could see me I don't know how but she could and she was frightened I could taste it like a cold metallic taste.

"I'm simply tire, I've been helping a friend complete tasks Celestia has requested done. But right now I need little Spikey Wikey." He said.

"Like I said you can't have him." Twilight said defensively. I closed my eyes at this moment and took in a deep breath and soon the room became cold as the wisps of warm air became mist in front of the mouths of the living. When I opened my eyes Discord simply crossed his arms.

"You don't have a choice." He said again.

"D-Discord stop m-messing around." Rarity said taking a have step back.

"I'm not here to take Spikey Wikey away for good." I began to explain but their looks gave me an indication that what I said was odd. My cheeks reddened but thank Celestia I had my hood up. Discord was holding his sides and doubling over laughing.

"Discord..." I said angrily.

"I'm sorry I couldn't help it." He said through fits of laughter. The small dragon stepped forward hesitantly.

"I'm Spike...Why do you need my help? Who are you exactly?" He asked.

"I am Death, I require a dragons fire to relight the furnaces of Hades." I said. Rarity fainted, Twilights jaw dropped, Pinky Pie gave a large smile, and Fluttershy let out a soft.

"Oh dear."

"I need him now and I don't have time to waste." I pressed. Twilight was the first to recover and say something.

"N-no even then he's only a baby and he is not going to Hades!" She proclaimed and Discord frowned as he began to argue. Fluttershy was fanning Rarity with her wing as her eye fluttered open. Rarity sat up quickly and joined Twilights side. I disregarded them and focused on Spike who was quiet and looking at the ground. He seemed lost in thought till he looked up at me with eyes of steely resolve.

"I'll do it." He said and only Pinky and myself heard at first. Then Twilight and Rarity looked at him.

"No Spike...it's too dangerous." Twilight began.

"Yes Dear Twilight is right let Discord and....Death find another dragon." Rarity said.

"I'll be fine I'm with death what could go wrong?" He said with a shrug. Both Rarity and Twilight looked at one another uncomfortably.

"It will be dangerous. If you feel up for it follow me Spike." I said as I turned to leave. Discord took that as a que and followed out with me.

"Spike! You can't go!" Twilight burst suddenly and Rarity nodded with a look of worry.

"I agree with Twilight dear...it's too much for you." Spike stopped and looked at them.

"You guys always do amazing things all the time...its my turn to do something amazing that only I can do." He said as he stood beside me. Discord waved as the door began to close.

"Oh! There's a war in Hades going on between Demons and Warped souls." Discord said smiling.

"WHAT!" Twilight and Rarity squeaked out in a high pitched horror as the door closed.

"Was that necessary?" I asked.

"No, but the look on their faces...priceless." He said smiling.

"So what do you want me to do." Spike asked.

"Breath fire." I said simply.

"I can do that." He said and displayed a small burst of emerald green flame. I looked to Discord.

"I did say he was a baby dragon." He said shrugging.

"I'm not a baby!" Spike retorted.

"Only a baby would say he wasn't a baby." Discord said back.

"Enough. Spike you will have to breath more flame if you're going to relight the furnaces." I said as I opened the door back to steps and I frowned.

"Why didn't you take us to the wall?" Discord asked.

"I thought I was." I said unsure. Just then smoke and fire exploded in front of us making Spike scream in terror and find safety behind me.

"Death." Said a smooth voice as the smoke cleared and Fire Pleasure stepped forward greeting them. His body was covered in an insect like armor that interlocked at his joints covering most of his body. His mane was burning brightly as his two horns protruded from his face armor.

"Fire Pleasure." I said just as evenly as I could.

"So this is the dragon? Not much if I may." He began as Spikes cheeks puffed out in anger and he stepped out from behind me.

"I may be small but I'm still a dragon." He said angrily. Fire gave a peeved expression, clearly he didn't like being interrupted.

"Indeed...I'm here to take you to Lucifer." He said as he stepped towards us. Spike stepped back into my chest and looked up at me fearfully.

"It will be ok." I reassured him. Fire Pleasure struck the ground and we were engulfed in flames and soon we stood on the walls overlooking the siege. Spike looked over the wall at the battle on the field. He stepped back in shock.

"This is the dragon you found to relight my furnaces." Lucifer said stepping toward Spike. I stepped forward protectively as Spike's eyes showed fear.

"Yes this is Spike." I introduced placing a reassuring hoof on Spikes shoulder. His shaking lessened.

"He won't do as he is now." Lucifer said matter of factly. Lucifer's blade like horn glowed and a beam of black flame engulfed. I felt anger and surprise, Discord looked on in shock, Spike screamed and shielded himself fruitlessly. Lucifer's magic cease and spike looked at his claws.

"What did you do?" I asked and before he could answer Spikes eyes glowed purpled and he fell forward in a cry of pain clutching the ground as his body began to grow. His small green spikes became sharper as his tail and torso grew in length. He stopped after several intense moments Spike was breathing heavily and his entire body was shuddering. He looked up at Lucifer with now very predatory like face of cut angles as sharp as diamond. He pushed himself up wright and now look at all of us. He had grown up at least two heads taller than me and his originally chubby baby fat was traded for a lean figure of a teenager.

"What?" He said in surprise and confusion.

"Now you should be able to breath flames big enough." Lucifer said looking at Spike. Spike looked at me as he clenched his claws tight now with a rekindled fire in his eyes.

"I feel stronger. I feel I can do this." He said smiling as his newly gained sharp teeth glinted in the light.

"Oh I bet....Cause if you don't Spike." Lucifer said as all of us looked at him.

"The fall of Heaven, Hades and everything in between will cease to exist." Spike looked at me as he gulped.

"Sounds great...." He said feebly.