• Published 19th Jul 2014
  • 3,636 Views, 149 Comments

The Life of Death - Nightmare Darkness



She is death and darkness but to her friends she is simply Vine. Meet the pony grim reaper and her exploits from getting the job to collecting souls.

  • ...
26
 149
 3,636

Keeping a Promise

"You have strolled into something dire." He said removing his straw hat. I outwardly sighed as I found my seat behind the desk where I was not to long ago. He took a seat across from me where I sat where it seems so long ago.

"Did this ever happen to you?" I asked sipping my tea and a warm feeling over came me.

"Not that I can recall. But this move by Vedra, he must have been waiting for my new replacement. The cloak can only do so much, You seem to be doing fine till his tampering." He said sitting down.

"Just what am I supposed to do now? War is coming, souls are missing, weapons have been made and soon there is going to be alot of souls up for grabs. Those souls will power the weapons and if that happens I don't know if I can take him..." I say unsure. He smiled and chuckled.

"This is the reason we leave our numbers in case something like this happens." He said cracking his neck.

"Ok it seems were now out of options, Discord has gone on to tell Celestia and Fire is going back to Hades." He said thinking. I placed my cup down and looked at my cloud computer.

"As it stands we have no choice but to wait for his next move." I say with consern. He nodded and stood up.

"I'll call in some favors and see if I can get the ball rolling." He said smiling. Making his way to the mirror I stood up and walked to him.

"Thanks for this." I smile.

"Not a problem, it seems you have your plate fuller then usual but the dead never stop." He said finally leaving through the mirror. I lifted up my scroll and a long list of names began appearing. Then a comment came mind that I promised to Angel Wings. I walked out to see Apple Scroll busy as ever.

"Thank you for the tea...it really helped." I said to which she looked up and smiled warmly.

"We all need a calming moment Grape." She said.

"I'm going out I have to make a stop by a Big Mac and his Daughter." I explained going to the door but I paused as Apple looked slightly saddened.

"No doubt Angel asked you to watch over them?" She said. I nodded.

"Angel is very new to the heavens but has a truly pure heart, she was one of the few that ascended from an earthly soul. Big Mac was her husband before she died. Her daughter was only possible because a friend was a surrogate mother for their baby. She died before she could see the baby." Apple explained as I digested the information.

"Thanks for telling me." I said as I flipped up my hood and slipped my key into the lock and walked through the door where my senses were assaulted by wood smoke, hay, and apples.

I closed the door behind me and heard a lively laughing and conversation as I rounded the corner to a scene of happiness. As I looked at the group, all of their names and pasts flashed before my eyes. Applejack sat beside Granny Smith who was in her rocking chair. Pinky Pie was playing with a beautiful filly that had a likeness of Angel wings to be sure. Rainbow dash was closest to me by leaning on the doorframe and Twilight was flanked by both Rarity and Fluttershy. Big Mac smiled warmly but I could sense a feeling of sorrow about him. No doubt because of Angels death. Applebloom walked into the room passing through me with the mail in her mouth and she gave an involuntary shiver.

"Big Mac a letter for ya." She said as she gave it to him and hoofed over the rest to Applejack. Everything seemed fine as far as I could tell and so I turned to leave when Big Mac stood up slowly.

"No..." He said his voice betraying nothing but anguish. All of them looked to him.

"I've been Drafted to fight." He said and the mood instantly changed. I looked across the room and my eyes fell on Pinky who had locked her eyes on me and stared at me as her boncy rebellious hair deflated to a flat state.

I looked at Pinky slightly surprised she seemed to see me as Twilight moved to Big Mac's side and took the letter and read it.

"If I write princess Celestia I could get spike to.." She began but Big Mac placed his hoof on the letter shaking his head. Granny Smith had stopped rocking and sat there reserved.

"This is horrible." Fluttershy said first and Twilight became panicked and angry.

"I did not be a surrogate mother for you and Angel to lose both of you!" She exclaimed.

I felt my robe gently coherse me to leave, I had a job to do after all. Pinky never took her eyes off of me till I was at the door with my key turning it and walking through it and away from the sad scene.