• Published 2nd Jun 2014
  • 892 Views, 49 Comments

Blood Loss - scamp7676



Blood Drop has always been strange to the other citizens of midnight, a small town in the kingdom of nightingale. she has odd coloring, preferrs to be alone, oh and is an alicorn. thing were pretty normal, until she got her cutie mark.....

  • ...
38
 49
 892

The Forbidden Spell

The Forbidden Spell

===========================================

Blood Drop awoke the next morning to the smell of delicious drifting up into her room. She sniffed the air and blinked open her eyes. She glanced at her clock. It was 8 a.m. With out giving it a second thought, Drop got up out of bed and made her way to the main floor. She didn't bother to stop and brush out her mane; she wasn't planning to go anywhere anyway today.

Her hooves thumped against the wooden floor as she walked into the kitchen, still half asleep. The sun shone through the windows brightly, giving the cottage an unusual, cheery feel. Drop glanced around the kitchen for the source of the amazing smell. that certainly can't be Fracture's cooking. Maybe she acutally did something nice for me and picked something up while she was gone yesterday? she thought, searching for anything at all.

Fracture had come home just after Polar had left. As Drop had expected, she gave the red filly a lecture about cleaning up her messes and leaving with out telling where she was going. Drop took all of it as a grain of sand and told the mare that she understood and wouldn't do it again. After that, the rest of the night had gone on normally.

When she found nothing in the kitchen that seemed to be eminating the odor, Drop turned around to leave. Maybe she was just imagining the smell? Just as she started out the walkway, something caught her eye. Something blue was laying on the floor. Slowly Drop turned her head to look at the object.

An ear piercing shriek rang out as Drop discovered the dead body of none other than her guardian on the floor. Crystal Fracture was sitting in a pool of blood in the corner the kitchen. Her light blue eyes where lifeless and staring at the ceiling, her face frozen with a look of complete terror upon it. Scarlet matted her neck fur, most of it fresh and coming from two puncture holes in her neck. Drop was sickened and horrified at the sight of the mangled pegasus, and almost threw up when she descovered that it was the origin of the wonderful smell.

"Isn't it apsolutely delicious looking, Blood Drop?" A mare's voice asked behind her. "Frature was a little bitter, but still good just the same."

Drop's own blood went cold as she gazed upon what looked like a grusome image of herself. The clone appeared to be her, and not her at the same time. It had her mane and fur color and her alicorn given height, wings and horn. But this Drop also had electricity instead of a scarlet aura crackling around her horn. Long, sharp fangs protruded from her upper jaw, her chin and fangs were covered in blood, and cold red eyes stared back at her.

The real Drop took a step back and powered up her horn, cowering away from the copy's appearence. "Stay back, what ever you are!" Drop said, pointing the tip of her horn at her doppleganger.

The other Drop chuckled, her unnatural teeth glinting in the dimmed light. She took a step forward, towering over her now.

"Don't act like you don't recongnize me?"

"No, I don't!" Drop snarled back, her horn sparking.

"well, that's unfortunet then," the clone purred in her weird, doubled-toned voice. "But no matter, you and I will be very aquainted soon enough."

"What are you?"she demanded, preparing to fire a bean of sizzling magic at her clone.

The red mare smiled malicously at her. "You," was all she said before lunging for Blood Drop's throat.

===========================================================

Drop screamed bloody murder and bolted upright in her bed, breathing hard and sweating from the nightmare. It was still night outside. She glanced at her stair way as the sound of hooves came pounding up them. Fracture came to a skidding stop at the top of the steps, wildly searching the room for a threat. After a while, the frantic mare realized the situation, sighed, and walked over to Drop.

"Again, Drop?" She asked, sitting down on the embaressed alicorn's bed. "That's the sixth time this week. With you waking me up by screaming every night, I am surprized the neighbors haven't started sending complaints to the mayor yet."

"I don't know what's causing them, Fracture," Drop whispered, hugging her blankets to her chest. She may not be the best of friends with her legal parental guardian, but Drop still would never want to see Fracture die like she had in that dream.

Every night since Drop had first opened Legends of the Night, she had started having horrible nightmares about vampires. She had been lying to Fracture about not knowing the source of them, but she really didn't know how a book could scare her so much. Drop didn't want her book to be taken away before she had a chance to inspect its contence, most-likely due to the fact that whenever somepony even came near its hidding place, she had the urge to protect it. But one thing she did know for sure about the book if she wanted to keep it; she needed to get it out of the house before Fracture could find it.

"Maybe you should see a doctor?" Fracture suggested while Drop was thinking.

I can't see a doctor if nothing is wrong with me! she thought, franticly looking for a way out of a visit to the hospital.

"I am sure it's just stress," Drop said, forcing herself to calm down. "I am going to take a walk outside and get some fresh air."

Fracture nodded and got up. "Don't stay out there for too long though, you need sleep."

Blood Drop agreed hastily and waited for the pegasus to leave before getting out of bed. She quietly trotted over to her vanity and pulled out the book. It still looked brand new, the only thing different was that it was now openable. Drop walked downstairs and out the door with her book tucked underneath her large wing. She didn't even bother to put on her shoes as she left the cottage.

The light of a full moon shone into the town, illuminating everything with a silver glow. Queen Moonswirl must have put an extra powerful charge in her spell tonight. It was completely deserted, but most ponies would decide to take a stroll and two in the morning anyway.

Drop galloped strait through Midnight until she came to the edge of the devoid village. Just in front of her stood the begining of the Timber Wood forest. It was similar to the Everfree Forest in Equestria, but the Timber Wood was slightly less dangerous. Numberous ponies in the town entered the forest safely on a daily basis. The forest was Drop's second resort when it came to getting away from the judgmental residents of the town. It was so thick with trees and undergrowth, unless you went in with another pony, you weren't likely to see anyone until you were just a few feet away. This factor made it ideal place for her to start reading her book in peace without being dicovered by a wandering hiker.

With a flick of her mane, Drop set off into the forest. She lit up her horn to see in the trees when the canopy became too thick and blocked out the moonlight. Plants grabbed at her ankles and snagged in her tail as she walked past them. Night animals rustled around in the tree tops near Drop, mostly bats and racoons. The forest was just as alive at night as it was in the day.

Up ahead, moonlight shone through the tree tops and into a clearing. Drop sped up her pace until she broke through the foilage. Silver bathed her mane and open wings as she let her horn glow flicker out, taking in a deep, satisfying breath of cool air. It was mid-spring in Nightingale; the air was still chilly at night. Blood Drop released the breath and strode to the middle of the clearing gracefully. She had always preferred the nightime to the day. It was quieter, more calm than that of the hot afternoons. The animals seemed more inclined to move around and show themselves. The best part was, Drop had it all to herself tonight.

The red filly laid down in a cluster of flowers and pulled the book off her back with her magic, setting it down in front of her. With both curiousity and fear, Drop opened it.

Ledgends of the Night

Beware to all those who wish to look upon the secrets of the night.

"I wonder if i should save this for another day?" Drop wondered to herself as she read the warning. "Maybe Polar could help-"

She stopped as her eyes found the first page. Written in perfect caligraphy was a spell:

Curse of the Everlasting Night

Through sorrows tale I've found the might,
To call upon the moon's great light
My heart shall stop,
My breath be no more,
Till midnight comes to call my soul
My life goes on where others have ended,
My enemies shall fall,
Their will shall be bended
Blood for Blood,
Light for Dark,
I give up life's final spark
In turn I am given the dead's great might,
And shall come forth as the Everlasting Night

Drop as said the words to the curse, her horn lit up. It sparked, pulling her attention from the page. She tried to cut off her magic, thinking it was just her alicorn magic acting up again. Drop stood up and foucused on snapping her power, but it flowed forth against her will. The spell! it must be because of the spell! She thought fearfully as the moonlight strengthened with her growing powers.

Pain exploded from her chest as the light intensified, making Drop clutch at it with a hoof. Magic swirled up from her horn, seeming to mix with the moonlight as she crumbled to the ground again, agony ripping through her body. Her eye sight started to get fuzzy and blackness pushed at the edge of her vision. Drop cried out from the pain weakly, still holding her chest.

Her heart beat started to slow down as the pain increased with the magic in the air. Red lightning cracked across the tree tops from her horn. Drop's breath was coming in ragged gasps now and the blackness was pressing against her skull, her heart pounding in her ears faintly. The air became cold as the light became too much for her to bear.

With a final breath, Drop closed her eyes and let the dark take her.

Author's Note:

It's another short one, but I wanted to speed along a little bit since we already got a glimps at her daily life and how the book opened. I didn't just want to let it sit there, and i needed something to build off of now that i've unlocked the book. (Did you like the words to the Curse? does it sound vampy enough?))
Now comes the fun part though, Drop decovering just what she did to herself.