• Published 1st Jun 2014
  • 1,375 Views, 24 Comments

The Return of Nightmare Belle - LostUmbrella



Night is back, ready to take her revenge against the princesses... Or not?

  • ...
1
 24
 1,375

Chapter 6

The two fillies stared at their reflections in the full body mirror in front of them.

"Not bad," commented Nightmare Belle eyeing herself "I think an age spell wouldn't be out of place..."

Sweetie Belle did not say a world; she simply stared at her clone's reflection, a hint of sadness in her eyes.

"I mean, if you'll look anything like your sister... Hey, is everything all right?"

"Uh? Yeah, all great..."

"Come on Sweetie, you're a terrible actress."

The white filly sighed and said: "I was thinking that you're gonna leave soon and..."

"And?"

"Aaand I really hoped that you would have thought me that spell you used to take on my colors?" tentatively said Sweetie hoping that the nightmare wouldn't notice the evident lie.

"Oh, just that?" asked the dark filly "It's a simple illusion, you simply have to focus on the colors you want."

"Oh, ok, thank you," said the other closing her eyes to focus.

Meanwhile Nightmare turned to look at her reflection; she examined every detail ending with her reptilian eyes and noticed a thing: it didn't matter how much she could look like a pony, in the end she wasn't. And everypony could see that.

"How do I look?" asked Sweetie next to her.

The dark filly turned from her reflection to see another one, only with her counterpart's normal eyes.

"I strongly advice you against using my palette: the bearers won't like that in the slightest."

"Aww, but I really like your mane!" joked Sweetie blowing the other a raspberry.

"Don't blame me when your sister get an heart attack after having seen you like that," said Nightmare laughing.

"She would totally do that!" admitted Sweetie as the two of the fell to the ground laughing.

They stayed there after the laughter had died down, lying side by side, eyes glued to the ceiling.

"I guess that there's nothing keeping you here now, uh?" asked the fake dark filly after a while.

"I suppose so."

"Planning to leave soon?"

I wish there was another way... thought Nightmare, instead she said: "Maybe I'll stick around for another couple of days..."

Sweetie's heart fell at those words.
She dropped her disguise and stood to look the other in the eyes.

"Why don't you stay?" she simply asked.

"Ponyville is far too near to Canterlot for me to be comfortable with it," explained Nightmare closing her eyes "And for what I've seen in the past two years, Celestia comes here far too often."

"The princess came three times at best!"

"That's four times too many."

"I see..." said the white filly, her ears lowered in defeat.

"Don't be like that Sweetie, you'll soon find it's for the best!"

I hope it's true... thought the two of them at the same time.

---

Sweetie Belle woke up abruptly as a thunderbolt tore the sky.
Rain clattered heavily against the roof and the window, thunders could be heard in the distance.
She scanned the dark room feeling that something was out of place, then noticed what it was: Nightmare, who was supposed to stay the night, was nowhere to be seen. On her makeshift bed, instead of her, there was a piece of parchment.
The filly lit the candle on her nightstand and levitated the sheet to her.

If you're reading this, it means I already left. Don't search me, it's for the best.

Sweetie stared at the fine writing, unable to make sense of it.

"Why? She was happy here, this makes no sense!" she whispered "I have to find her!"

She levitated Twilight's book to her and started turning the pages furiously till she found what she was looking for. She conceded herself a grin before reading a pair of times the spell to fix it in her mind. Once done, the filly jumped out of her bed and, as silently as she could, she reached the entrance. There, after having wore her raincoat and boots, she exited the house, disappearing into the night.

---

"Sweetie," called Rarity entering her sister's room "It's time to wake up!"

The smile on her muzzle withered as she embraced the whole room with her gaze and could not find the filly; instead of her, she found an almost consumed, still lit candle, an open book and a piece of parchment.
With her heart pounding faster and faster, Rarity approached her sister's bed and red Nightmare's letter.
Her screams were heard all the way to the library.

---

Nightmare Belle was trekking through the woods at a slow pace.
The heavy rain of the night had messed her up: her mane was still wet and full of twigs and leaves, her coat stained by mud and mushy water, her eyes reddened by the lack of sleep. Definitely, she could have planned her escape better.
Yet, her mind was a turmoil of conflicting thoughts and emotions for different reasons: she wanted to stay in Ponyville with Sweetie, the filly that somehow had found something worth of acceptance in her, but she knew that dreams were just that in the end, dreams.
She was so absorbed in her thoughts that she almost didn't notice Ghastly Gorge opening in front of her.

"Whoa, gotta be more careful..." she said taking a step back from the edge.

She turned southward and started pacing once again, coasting the chasm.
She wondered if things could have been different, if she could have been different.

If only I hadn't hungered for more... she thought with a sigh.

Less than ten minutes later, she heard the sound of hooves clattering on the rocks. She turned to see Sweetie Belle galloping towards her.

"What are you doing here?" she snarled at the white filly "I recall I said not to follow me!"

"I know..." wheezed the other "But I couldn't let you go."

"Nonsense, I'm a monster rejected by society, there's nothing to gain from being with me."

"I don't care!" shouted Sweetie stomping a hoof, tears swelling in her emerald eyes "I want you back!"

"I know," said Nightmare looking away "It's just not possible..."

"But why?"

"You think your sister will be fine knowing I'm around? Or anypony else for what matters..."

Sweetie would have protested, but a bright flash of light cut her answer.

Author's Note:

I'm really really sorry for the huge delay, but I went on vacation. But now I'm back :twilightsmile:

Expect the next update pretty soon :raritywink: