• Published 4th Jun 2014
  • 1,863 Views, 45 Comments

Taciturn Carrots - Aura Zero



IA story of how a guy with a special condition finds himself suddenly with a new life and all the craziness it ensues. Human turned pony.

  • ...
14
 45
 1,863

Hushed Conversation

"This was a huge mistake!" Luna said as she paced around the room.

Celestia was reading through a book before she turned to her panicked sister. "Calm down Luna. We can figure this out."

Luna stopped and rushed over to her sister. "But what exactly went wrong? We performed the spell effectively and it still didn't yield results!"

Celestia shook her head. "Do not worry, the spell was successful. I can guarantee that."

Luna raised a brow. "It was? Then pray tell why isn't he here?"

Celestia frowned. "That, I don't know. I do know that he was transported here, as well as the transformation being completed. However, I don't know his location."

Luna frowned. "Well this is just great! Now we have one strange pony somewhere out in Equestria?"

Celestia smiled. "Oh, come on Lulu. It can't be all that bad."

Luna huffed. "Easy for you to say. So what shall we do to retrieve him?"

Celestia smiled as she turned back to the book. "Oh there's no need to worry about that. We will meet him soon enough."


"Alright! Lets get your little tour started then."

Hark looked at the giddy pony in front of him. For the whole walk she has been nothing but excited, ready to show him the town. Hark had no idea why someone would be this excited to show another around. Well, at least at his home, world, universe....whatever. She did say because they are friends but even friends don't get that excited.

Well, it's not really all that bad. Happy is always a good thing. Lets see what this town has in store then. Hark thought as he followed the cheery mare into the town.

Upon entering Hark found out immediately the dominating race, or mammal, of this world. He looked surprisingly as he saw multiple technicolor ponies walking around and having conversations just like its normal.

Well, it would be normal for them... Hark thought as he heard Carrot Top speak up.

"So this right here is the market. This is where we sell all our goods. I sell my Carrots here too." Carrot Top looked around and frowned. "Huh, nothing else more to say than that."

Hark merely nodded as he looked at some of the wares and curiously, the ponies tending to each. He noticed that each pony looked different and also acted differently. They seem to be like us but pony version. So this must be another world. Question is, how did I get here... Hark thought as he kept scanning the stands. After a moment, he noticed something quickly. They don't have meat? Well, hor- err, ponies don't eat meat so that does make sense...well, guess I'm vegetarian now.

Hark sighed and shook his head, getting the attention of Carrot Top. "Something wrong Pace?"

Hark shook his head again. "Call me Hark. And no, nothing really."

Carrot Top looked at him for a moment longer before turning away. "Alright then. Are you ready to move on?"

"Hi Carrot Top!"

Hark turned and saw another pony walking over. This one was all pink but her mane was a darker shade.

"Hey Pinkie. Saying your daily 'hi' for the day?" Carrot Top said with a smile.

"Sure am! I have to make sure I say hi to everypony!" The pink pony said happily.

She then turned towards Hark. "Hi...uh...wait..." All of a sudden, she gasped, surprising Hark. "Oh my gosh! I don't know your name! That means you must be new! I love meeting new ponies! Whats your name? Where did you come from? Is it nice there? What do you like to eat?"

Hark merely stared at the pony as she rambled off at high speeds with questions, getting closer with every one. Carrot Top saw his expression and giggled. Before she could talk his ears off though, she stepped in.

"Pinkie he can't answer your questions if you don't give him time to." Carrot Top said after giggling at Hark's stunned face.

Pinkie was nearly right in Hark's face before she stopped and turned to Carrot Top with a guilty smile. "Hehe yeah, you're right." She then backed up an acceptable distance and smiled at Hark. "Hi! I'm Pinkie Pie. What's your name?"

Hark merely stared at the hyperactive pony. She merely stared back with a smile. They did that for a long moment. Carrot Top then remembered something and rushed up.

"Oh! I'm so sorry Pinkie! I forgot to tell you something about him."

Pinkie turned and looked at her curiously. "What is it? Does he have a purple tongue?"

Carrot Top paused at that. "Uh, no. You see, he can't really talk..."

Pinkie Pie furrowed her bows in confusion at her. "Can't talk?" She then looked at Hark, and back to Carrot Top. "Of course he can talk silly! He has a mouth." Pinkie said pointing to him.

Carrot Top shook her head. "No, I mean he can't speak. His vocal chords are shot so he can't talk."

Pinkie Pie's eyes grew wide and she snapped towards Hark. "Oh my gosh! You can't talk? That must be horrible! I remember when I couldn't talk because I touched the poison joke in the Everfree. It was so horrible!" She then hopped up to his face. "So, when ya getting your voice back huh? I can't wait to talk to you about so many things!"

Pinkie was about to name off things again but Carrot Top caught her. "Um, Pinkie? That's not what I meant."

Pinkie looked at her confused. "What do you mean?"

Carrot Top frowned. "Well, he can't ever get his voice back. He can never speak."

Pinkie's face make a complete one-eighty once she realized what she meant. She turned to Hark. "Is that really true?"

Hark by this time was calm enough that he could respond and he did the same way he always had: with a nod and a small smile. After doing that, she seemed sad and backed up a bit.

"Oh, I'm sorry! I didn't know it was permanent. I was just so excited to make a new friend and-"

This time, it was Hark who stopped her by lifting a hoof and shaking his head with a smile. Pinkie seemed to calm down after that and a smile appeared on her face again. However, it turned to a confused frown as she turned to Carrot Top.

"Wait if he can't talk, how did you get his name?"

"Oh, he told me telepathically." Carrot Top answered simply.

At hearing this, her head snapped towards Hark. "Oh! So you can talk, just not with your mouth! That's so cool! Can you try now?" Pinkie said as she went back to being cheery.

Hark shrugged. He still had no idea how to use 'magic', so he couldn't really give an answer. Pinkie didn't understand, but Carrot Top caught it.

"I think he is saying he doesn't know. I guess he isn't all that great with using it yet." Carrot Top explained.

"Aww. That stinks." Pinkie pouted before turning to him. "Make sure to practice so we can talk okay?"

Hark couldn't help but smile at her. For some reason, seeing how this pony acted gave him a warm and familiar feeling. He nodded while thinking, a cream colored aura engulfing his horn..

"I'll try, Pinkie Pie."

Pinkie's eyes grew wide and she gasped loudly. "Oh my gosh! You did it! I heard you in my mind! That is sooo cool!" Pinkie said as she jumped around him. After making a full circle she stopped in front of him. She stared at him with half-lidded eyes. "I like how you sound." She said lowly before hopping past him to Carrot Top.

Hark was confused and slightly off put by what she just said, along with how she said it. He didn't want to get into it though and merely decided to try and continue the tour and perhaps get more answers. He then turned to them and saw Pinkie giggling and Carrot Top facing away. He decided to try to see if he can talk to them.

"Uh, Carrot Top? Pinkie Pie?" He thought as his horn started to glow again.

Both ponies turned to him and Hark noticed a bit of flush in Carrot Top's face.

"Yes?" Pinkie said excitedly.

Hark continued, realizing that they heard him. "My name is Pace but just call me Hark."

"Can I call you Pace?" Pinkie asked.

Hark looked at her. She was smiling wide. He sighed. "If you want, sure."

"Yay!" Pinkie cheered as she clapped her forehooves happily.

Hark turned to Carrot Top. "I thought you said not everyone is as cheerful."

Carrot Top smiled. "Well, that's just Pinkie. She's the most hyperactive pony you will ever meet here."

Pinkie jumped in at this. "You said my name! That means Pace was talking about me! What he say?"

Hark shook his head at her actions. I know this one will be a handful. I can get used to her though. She kinda reminds me of...

"Hark?"

Hark was pulled from his thoughts as he looked at the two mares.

"You kinda zoned out there. I was asking if you wanted to continue the tour with Pinkie?" Carrot Top asked.

Hark merely nodded with a smile. All of a sudden there was a rush of the color pink in his vision.

"Awesome! I can show you everything there is to know about this town! I have a license in tour guiding ya know!" Pinkie said before removing a plastic card from her hair and showing him.

Hark looked at the card. It had a photo of her with a large smile and above it said 'Licensed Tour Guide'. Wow, she wasn't kidding. He then looked up to see the pony with the same smile on her face.

"I know all the in's and out's of Ponyville! Come on! You can make some new friends too!" Pinkie said as she hopped away.

Hark started to follow but noticed that he didn't hear steps behind him. He turned and saw Carrot Top with a small frown and looking down. I wonder what's wrong with her... Hark thought. He then proceeded over to her and tried to speak to her.

"Carrot? You okay?"

Carrot Top jumped slightly but turned to Hark. "Oh! No, nothing's wrong!" Carrot Top said rather hurriedly, but then turned and looked at the side. "It's just that... well, Pinkie is a experienced tour guide."

Hark nodded. "Yeah. Never really knew you could get a license for that. But, what does that have to do with anything?"

Carrot Top frowned and looked down. "Well you don't really need me to come along right?"

Hark immediately understood what was wrong. She thinks she wouldn't be helpful anymore...I guess they really are just like us. Hark thought. He then had an idea and his horn started to glow again.

"Well, it is true that she may be a good tour guide but you're kinda my only friend right now here." After saying that, Carrot Top looked up quickly at him. He began to rub his mane. "It would be great if you could stay and still give the tour with Pinkie Pie, if that's okay with you."

Carrot Top smiled wide and walked to him. She then proceeded to rub her face affectionately on his, surprising him before she spoke up.

"I'd love to." She said happily before trotting past him.

Hark was still slightly surprised. What was that all about? He thought questioningly. However, he decided to come back to it later. He turned and saw Pinkie Pie waving at him and Carrot Top next to her with her face flushed again.

"Come on slowpoke! Celestia's sun won't be up forever!" Pinkie said as she turned and started walking, Carrot Top joining her.

Celestia's sun? Hark thought as he looked up at the sky confused. He saw the sun and it shined brightly and emitted warmth on his 'new' body. He smiled slightly and started trotting ahead, catching up to the others.

I'll find out soon enough. After all, this probably won't be my last hushed conversation.