• Published 14th Jun 2014
  • 6,410 Views, 586 Comments

Harmony Defended - Starscribe



When Equestria is threatened with an invasion of all its greatest enemies, Celestia and Luna are forced to turn to the only ally with a chance of helping them: Humans. The only question left now is whether any of Equestria will be left to save.

  • ...
32
 586
 6,410

Chapter 3: Audience

The ground shook with the force of distant thunder, though there were no clouds in the sky and no inclement weather scheduled. Each blast brought distant flashes of light from below, accompanied by a sound that could only be distant screaming. Chance did not know how an enemy could have penetrated this far into Equestrian territory, didn't know for sure who was even attacking or why. But it didn't matter. She had to do something.

"Spike!" She called, breaking their stunned silence. "Get close to me! You're alright teleporting back to our room, right?"

The dragon complied. "Please. Twilight was dragging me through teleports when you were still in diapers."

Even under the circumstances it was impossible not to smile at least a little. "I don't think that's actually true," she said, before closing her eyes and forcing all her attention to the spell. Teleportation was one of the more difficult forms of enchantment a unicorn could learn, partially because it required both a large natural store of thaumaturgical energy as because a mastery of complex mathematics was also involved.

Second Chance could not have asked for a better teacher, though she only ever needed help with the first. When it came to mathematics, she actually had an advantage over her instructor. Her body contained one of the most sophisticated human innovations: the Nanophage. This model was one constructed specifically for scientists and intellectuals, and provided its user with increased response time and access to mathematical sub-processors.

Magically there was no competing with her mentor, nor would there ever be. But that was fine. Twilight was a very patient teacher when you made your very best effort. Thanks to all those years of careful instruction, Chance was able to draw down the strange phenomena the natives of this world had taught her to call "magic". Through force of will she bridged the distance between the gardens and the bedroom. There was a brief imposition of air, a pressing of otherworldly forces against their flesh, and then a bang like a low-caliber gunshot as they forced air aside that already occupied their destination.

Chance still hadn't mastered managing the air displacement so teleporting didn't sound like the first shots of a war. Not that it mattered, considering the sky outside was already providing ample noise.

Whenever Second Chance visited the castle she was always given the same room, which normally felt enormously spacious but tonight a little less so since beds had been brought for her friends. Of the three former Crusaders only Scootaloo looked alert, standing upright and looking out the window at the flashes of orange light and subsequent screams. Apple Bloom was just sitting up, and Sweetie Belle seemed to be trying to cover her ears with her hooves, moaning in protest at the interruption.

"Those flashes are coming from the ironworks!" Scootaloo shouted, her voice panicked. "The Fury! What if she catches on fire in the drydock? We have to go make sure she's okay!" The little pegasus darted over to Sweetie's bed and yanked the covers off with one powerful tug. "Come on, we'll need your magic to put out the fire!"

"I don't reckon this was an accident," said Apple Bloom as she rolled out of bed, taking her saddlebag full of tools and shrugging it on. It did not take long for her judgements to be confirmed. Though evidently taken off-guard, Chance watched from the window as Canterlot's defenses rose to animated life. She smiled to herself as a low vibration began to shake the ground beneath her, accompanied by a series of loud mechanical noises. The sky lit up with the tracer rounds from the city's newly installed M-18 HURRICANE turrets. The loss of the Mesh network's main hub had evidently delayed their activation. It was fortunate the city had measures in place for Truth's loss.

Fires began in the air, and rubble began to rain down on Canterlot doing nearly as much damage as the bombs and spreading fires. As scary as the airships were, they couldn't compare to the roar that shook the air, and the dark shape she saw hurtling for the castle. Tracers from the HURRICANE AA rounds impacted without any discernible effect, and it seemed to be gaining speed rather than losing it as it approached the castle. It was going to collide.

There were only seconds to brace for the impact, but they proved unnecessary. The magically-reinforced structure shuddered at the force of an incredible impact, but ultimately held. Even so, the volume was spectacular. A great rumbling in the mountain, glass shattering and stone tumbling down. It hurt to hear, as much from the thought of the beautiful structure being damaged as the raw decibels.

"Why would somepony be attacking us?!" Sweetie shouted, her voice only slightly less shrill than she had been a decade ago. Far from being annoyed by the volume, Chance was encouraged to hear that Sweetie Belle was fully awake.

"Doesn't matter!" she answered, looking quickly between the three ponies and one dragon. "Whatever that was, it's out of our league. But if we can get Prismatic Fury into the air, maybe we can help somehow." Chance hurried over to their belongings, dragging a large hard-plastic case away from the loose pile of Scootaloo's clothes that had formed a little hill on top of everything else. With a few clicks the case was open, revealing a pair of Magnetic Accelerator Rifles. She lifted both into the air, clicking the only non-practice clips they had with them into each one. She passed one to Sweetie Belle before throwing the one made for her over her shoulder by the strap. A pity they didn't have the custom-built harness that would allow Scootaloo or Apple Bloom to use the weapons, but they had hardly anticipated to be in a battle.

Chance didn't particularly like the idea of pointing a gun at anything that wasn't a paper target on a practice range. But what alternative was there, hiding and leaving Canterlot to its fate?

There was nothing they could do about the strange object that had collided with the opposite wing of the castle, or the periodic roars that shook the foundation. Magic flashes from behind them as they ran into the streets of the city told them Celestia and Luna must be dealing with it. Spike felt heavier on her back than he had when she was a filly. But with the adrenaline pounding in her veins, she hardly even noticed.

The damage to Canterlot wasn't nearly as extensive as it had seemed. Chunks of burning airship cluttered the streets, but magic was already containing the worst of the fires. They could hear the sounds of combat from further into the city, and more than once squads of armed guards passed them at a rapid gallop. Whatever this attack was, it was clear the Equestrian population was doing what it took to get it contained.

That did not mean they were safe, though. Somehow, an unknown enemy had managed to get troops on the ground in the heart of Equestria. How many were still at large? What kind of monsters were they?

That question resolved itself as they reached the industrial quarter, and private dwellings were replaced with factories and warehouses. There were fewer soldiers here, and no mage-crews despite several large fires. "C'mon!" Scootaloo urged as they rounded a corner and the ironworks came into view. "We can't let anything happen to her!"

That was when Apple Bloom noticed they were being followed and shouted for them to turn. It was harder to do an about face on four legs than two, but Chance managed. Granted, Spike had to wrap his arms around her neck and cling for dear life, but if she hadn't they might not have lived through what came next.

The monsters (she could think of no other word to describe them) were taller than adult ponies, with nearly albino flesh that bubbled with uneven growths. They were bipedal and armored with uneven scraps of metal and leather, with reptilian eyes and muscular scaly tails. Her mind struggled to identify them from any of the Equestrian books of species and classification she had studied, though it took no great struggle to identify the weapons they carried. Large muskets, with wickedly curved bayonets.

There were less than twenty meters between the five of them and the pair of muscular hairless abominations. The monsters were at a full charge, and upon seeing the ponies had noticed them both let out guttural roars and pounded at the ground with focused determination, preparing for lethal strikes.

Neither got the chance. In the heat of the moment a pony lifted a human-designed weapon into the air with a shimmer of magic, took careful aim assisted by nanophage implants, and fired two shots.

The MAR's electromagnets accelerated a pair of shaped rounds to supersonic velocity, causing a series of loud bangs. First as the rounds left the muzzle, and then as the rounds hit their targets. Rough steel and iron plate might have blocked an arrow or even a low-impact ball like those a musket fired, but offered almost no resistance to a human weapon meant to counter human personnel armors made of strong nanomaterials.

Both monsters kept their forward momentum when they were hit, skidding to a halt about a meter from where Sweetie Belle was standing with the rifle still held in her magic. Chance wasn't the only one who spent several seconds staring blankly at her friend, not believing what she was seeing. Somehow, demure little Sweetie Belle had just saved all their lives! The unicorn herself seemed to be suffering from the greatest disbelief, her body locked into a motionless rigor.

"We best get goin'!" Apple Bloom pushed Sweetie Belle, turning her to face the foundry. As it turned out, the large wooden roof that sheltered the drydock seemed to be in good shape, though the warehouse next door had changed into a bonfire. There were no fire-containment unicorns in sight, and no water trucks. How long would it take the fire to spread?

"Y-yeah..." Squeaked the white unicorn, as though watching the capital burn and killing monsters was the most normal thing in her life. Then, without warning, she lowered her head to the ground and began to heave, body shaking violently.

Scootaloo whimpered. "I'll get her ready for takeoff!" She managed to call back, galloping off toward the apparently empty structure.

Apple Bloom stood beside her struggling friend while Chance and Spike kept watch, though there seemed to be no further immediate danger other than the spreading fires. Sweetie Belle's moment of strength appeared to have passed, and her heaves gradually gave way to incomprehensible sobbing.

"Ah know ya' feel awful," she encouraged, nudging Sweetie forward with gentle gestures. "But if we don't get that there airship up soon, then we'll lose it and won't be able to do a darn thing to help anypony."

"I... shot them..." Cried the unicorn, along with plenty of other sounds that were nearly some words and almost others. Still, she did begin to amble forward, at a pace not nearly equal with the speed the flames were spreading. "Killed."

"You saved our lives," Chance added, lifting Sweetie Belle's rifle away from her and into Spike's clawed grip. The dragon was on his own two feet by now, and though he had barely any practice with the weapon he took it with a resolute nod. "They tried to kill us. They're burning Canterlot down... killing ponies. Your big sister is back at the castle right now... we've got to get the airship and get back to help!"

This seemed to work as a motivator, because the shell-shocked pony started to move again, and they galloped through the huge door Scootaloo had left swinging ajar.

The shipyards were a strange structure with no close parallel Chance could remember from her past. The structure was built over one of the mountainous edges of Canterlot, and consisted largely of thick wooden docks and supports over empty air. The ceiling was flat, resting on metal tracks that allowed it to be retracted. There was only one ship, occupying the smallest of three docking sections. The young mares raced the flames across the room toward it and the pony who scurried busily along the docks.

The Prismatic Fury was a very old ship, and to Chance's eyes resembled an ancient schooner that had decided inexplicably that gravity wasn't worth listening to after all and had taken to the air. It had two masts and numerous sails, all of which Scootaloo could name and precisely describe. The Prismatic Fury had been a luxury yacht for some rich unicorn a century ago, but had fallen into such poor condition that the four no-longer-Crusaders had paid little more than the cost of lumber for it. Years of labor and all their disposable income (which was considerable when you held an important crown-appointed position) had done far better than just restore her. Each had contributed in her own way, but none so much as Scootaloo. Even after all these years she was an extremely weak flier. The Fury had given her back her wings.

And now leaping flames were near to taking them away and turning half a decade's worth of labor to ashes. Though still clearly disoriented even Sweetie Belle charged with renewed determination, shadows leaping in the strange light that came from above. It was like a gigantic orange animal was eating its way in, cracking rather than chewing as it went. The beams were strong, but beams and tarred thatch made for a fire that was almost alive.

Scootaloo passed them as they ran, a large blade in her mouth. Rather than take the time to loosen the complicated moorings, she was cutting away at what bound the ship to the docks. It seemed these were the last she had to sever, because the Prismatic Fury had already started to drift in the wind, its side grinding loudly against the dock before beginning to slowly list the other way. Apple Bloom was first, and cleared the gap onto the ship with ease. Her momentum made the jump a little harder for Sweetie Belle and Spike, though both ultimately cleared the growing gap. By the time Chance brought up the rear, there were nearly three full meters of empty air separating her from the ship. Far too great a distance for her to confidently jump, even at a full gallop.

It might have meant disaster, if she weren't able to teleport. Twilight's intense magical training meant that complicated spellcasting on demand did not phase her, even when her mind was already heavily weighed down with stress and fear. Besides, crossing a distance that was within sight was far easier than the spell she had done earlier with Spike, and she appeared on the deck with another loud bang.

"I'm taking her down!" Called Scootaloo as she raced past them onto the raised rear deck, wings beating furiously. There was a nautical name for it, but Chance hardly tried to remember as she followed. "Everypony find something to hold on to! I won't let her burn!"

The latest run of upgrades and improvements was far from complete, and they scrambled over loose bundles of wire and piles of raw materials. Still, whatever the case of the electrical systems Truth had custom-designed for this ship, the underlying Equestrian thaumaturgical engineering should still be intact. Even if all the consoles and fancy weapons didn't work as well as they ought to, or at all.

Sweetie Belle passed her, disappearing below deck. Apple Bloom braced herself against one of the masts, taking a line of thick rope in her teeth. Chance jammed herself up against the railing, putting as much pressure against it as she could. Just in time, too.

Enchanting was not Chance's field, so she knew little about the thaumic "Levitation Seed" or how it worked. She only knew enough to know its effects could be controlled from the helm to alter the ship's altitude. In one quick jab of her hooves, Scootaloo slammed the control all the way down to the "off" setting. This was a mistake, something you never ought to do, since it caused gravity to reassert itself on each and every part of the ship as though they were all free falling bodies and not a single entity. Chance felt her stomach ripped out from under her along with the ground, which fell away from her hooves just an inch or so before her back caught against the railing and prevented her fatal separation from the Prismatic Fury. Plenty of loose objects on deck were not so lucky, and the air around her was soon filled with dangerous debris. Of course the acceleration imparted by gravity was universal, but the different shapes and densities made Chance feel as though she were suddenly under-water, with tools and wire and bits of unsecured deck planking floating along with her.

Scootaloo might be young, but she was a skilled enough captain to know not to reactivate the antigravity all at once, which would seem to the ship and all its passengers like suddenly striking a solid surface. It was likely neither would survive such a mistake. Instead, she waited three seconds, long enough for the ship to get considerable distance from the burning warehouse, before reinitializing gravity on its lowest setting. The ship continued to fall, but at a gradually reducing rate. Eventually Chance's hooves touched delicately back on the deck, though all around her debris of all sorts from the Fury's unfinished refit impacted more harshly, spinning or spiraling out of sight.

By all accounts it was some expert flying, and the ship's crew joined together in a hearty cheer. They had more or less stopped about two hundred feet from the ground, and aside from the moonlight and the flicker of the distant burning city the deck was dark.

Scootaloo was the first to regain her composure. "I know she wasn't ready," she said, looking around with obvious displeasure at the state of the deck. Chance had seen Scootaloo's bedroom, and it was usually a mess. She was a disorderly student and sometimes couldn't even be bothered to brush her mane. But when it came to the state of her ship (even though they theoretically owned it together) she would never have permitted such disorder. "What about those fancy weapons you were putting in, Chance? Does anything on here pack more punch than the guns we put around Canterlot?"

The young mare thought about that for a moment, considering the imperfect state of the ship's modifications and exactly what the power systems could handle. Eventually she settled on her answer, and took a few tentative steps toward the stairwell that led belowdecks. "Yeah. I think we do." She looked over to Apple Bloom. "Got your tools?" The other mare didn't have to say a word; she already had a wrench in her mouth and a spanner close at hoof. It made Chance smile. "Ten minutes, Captain! We just need ten minutes!"

* * *

A little earlier...

As the first and only sovereign of the Steel Tower, Richard had experienced many failures. Indeed the term "leader" ought to be synonymous with failure so far as he was concerned. This day, however, might very well be one of the worst examples he had ever experienced. Not only had the enemy beaten them through the universal gulf, but they already had diplomatic relations established with the natives on the other side. Not only did they understand perfectly well what his people had done with their OMICRON Core, but they were very unhappy about the disruption it had caused. Nearly a decade's careful planning was going up in smoke around him.

Well maybe not completely. They were still willing to hear him, and the offer he had made was unlike any the opposition had made. With universal travel disallowed, the United Earth Federation could only trade the limited number of goods and technologies that could be manufactured by the OMICRON Core that was already here. He had violated that injunction, and brought trade goods in volume and quality that no Core could ever manufacture.

And there was something else, some unspoken stress he saw in each of the rulers. In some way they were animals to him, yet the behavior was quite familiar. Each buckled under the stress somewhat differently, yet all seemed oppressed by it somehow. In his mind this was why they had even bothered to hear him out for so long. In the midst of confusion and even disgust, they seemed to see him sometimes as though he were the timely answer to a prayer.

Yet they were also experienced. The purple one who had first met him, the youngest and most inexperienced, said only innocuous things and asked few questions. The others, Luna and Celestia, spoke so carefully that he knew not even his most adroit probability-mitigation algorithm would be able to explain what they might be thinking, not without more information about what the current situation here in Equestria was like. He feared they would not be permitted to remain long enough for that.

He would not have to. Without a word exchanged between the three ponies, all three looked suddenly alert and almost frightened, eyes directed outward towards the windows. It was impossible to see anything through the stained glass, which meant to Richard that their "magical" senses must have been triggered somehow. He judged the expressions for anything they might reveal, though only the purple one kept anything on her face for him to read it confidently. Distress and fear, the kind of fear one felt when people they loved were in personal danger. Richard knew that feeling well, since it had been a part of his life for so long.

It was as if his entourage had suddenly ceased to exist for all the attention the ruling ponies paid him. "Luna," said Celestia, as all three rose to their hooves.

"Of course, dear sister. Our ponies are ready." The pony named Luna really did vanish, blinking out of existence with a brief surge of electromagnetic radiation his enhanced senses could detect but make nothing of. The natives called it teleportation, and it was one of the examples of why calling this planet "primitive" was not strictly true.

"Twilight Sparkle, if you would join the battlemages in the eastern tower. I believe they could use your magic."

"O-of course," she stammered in reply, before vanishing nearly as elegantly as Luna had. That left Richard and his men along with Celestia and her guards at the door, with a growing understanding of what was going on.

Celestia glided gently down to the ground about ten feet ahead of him. "I am sorry to say that-" She was interrupted by a sudden shaking beneath their feet, and the distant rumble of an explosion. The software in his brain analyzed the sound before she even finished speaking, identifying it as a black powder based charge of about fifty pounds in an iron shell. "Canterlot is under attack. Princess Luna and Princess Twilight Sparkle have left to augment the city's defenses. I will remain here and ensure no harm comes to you." There was no change in her he could see, except perhaps a certain steely tone in her voice.

Richard bowed just slightly, though as he spoke his mind was alight with conversation on radio transmission between himself and his guards, as well as his men back in the village they had arrived in. "We need no protection, Princess," he said. And even as he said it, he listened to the captain he had chosen coordinating the defense of the room. His guards drew their weapons and began to fan out, forming a very loose barrier of protection around him. This seemed to unnerve the pony guards a little, though not as much as he expected. They must not have much experience with accelerator rifles. "We can remain here if you are needed to defend your city." The ground shook again, this time with much greater intensity.

Maybe Celestia would have taken him up on the offer, maybe not. He would never find out.

One of the walls of wonderfully worked stained glass abruptly exploded in a shower of stone and glass as a gigantic shape came through it with the force of a freight train. One of his men was not fast enough, and vanished with a scream beneath the rubble along with one of the pony guards that had been unlucky enough to be standing nearby.

Richard spent a few precious processor cycles debating whether he should take the white-furred ruler with him as he leapt backward through the air to avoid the massive intruder. In the greatly slowed time that was his most battle-accelerated reactions, he saw this was not required. Celestia sprung backward even more rapidly than he could with muscles made from the strongest artificial substitute. Richard retreated in a single twenty-foot bound, landing near the rear wall.

He got a good look at the creature while it shook bricks and glass from black scales, adjusting its massive bulk. Even though this was an alien world with alien creatures, good king Richard knew immediately what he was looking at. A dragon, perhaps a hundred feet long from snout to tail. Red fire burned in its eyes, and light glistened from teeth that were each as long as his arm. It seemed a miracle the structure beneath them could even support such a bulk.

Of course there were some aspects he did not understand, like the way its black scales seemed to glow faintly with symbols he couldn't read. The symbols flickered and danced on almost every part of its body.

The beast raised its head on its long neck and looked towards Celestia. Then it spoke. Richard did not understand the language that it spoke, its tones so deep that they shook the floor like the explosions further away. Yet somehow, impossibly, it sounded as though the beast was speaking English. "Your reign is over, Lightbringer," it said to Celestia, who hovered in the air about fifteen feet above where Richard stood. It seemed not to see anyone else. Not the pony guards rushing at it, or his own spreading out to tactical positions around the room. It did not even see him, resplendent in royal regalia atop the mightiest armor of the tower. To those eyes there was only one equal here; all other creatures were less than insects. "Your city is in flames. I shall take your head before my father and devour your court."

Several of the pony guards were trembling, and at least one had already fled. One of his own men was also motionless, too fearful and surprised to properly react. That left Richard only with the captain of his guard, Sir Gray, who ignored the words in order to approach the creature from the side, flanking it. It took no more notice of him than an ant crawling along the floor. 'At your command,' came his voice silently over the radio. 'I can put a plasma charge though its neck.'

'No,' Richard replied immediately. 'Not yet. Is Lewis dead?'

'Crushed,' came the instant reply. 'All systems destroyed. Cortical recorder is giving me a green signal, though. It survived.'

Or very nearly instant, since Celestia was already replying. Once again Richard found himself almost paralyzed with fascination as he listened. The language was the same, far stranger than the noises Equestria's natives usually made. Yet at the same time he heard the words as perfect English. There also seemed to be a faint light coming from Celestia, one that did not register on any spectrum his sensors could detect. "Was it worth your life to penetrate Equestria's defenses for a moment?" Celestia replied. In spite of everything, she sounded as compassionate as ever. "Perhaps defiling yourself with those runes allowed you to teleport a few ships, but no more. My sister has dismantled entire navies with her hooves alone, and she will not be alone in the seat of our strength." She gestured imperiously to the sky. "Leave now and spend your last hours in peace."

The dragon was clearly not in much of a mood to debate, because it did not listen any longer. Instead it let back its massive neck, heat and light boiling up from deep within its body. Not only did dragons exist then, but they could also breathe fire.

Richard took a few great strides, tearing the robe in his haste to get behind some nearby rubble as quickly as possible. A second later the room lit up with brilliant green and orange. His mind lit up with a barrage of warnings, even though he had cleared the area of danger. 'Plasma weaponry detected in vicinity. Gamma radiation source detected. Internal defense systems activated, magnetic capacitors charging. No strategic coordination drones detected, deploying.' The grenade launcher embedded in his left shoulder tore through his robe as it inclined straight up, releasing a fist-sized drone to hover as close to the ceiling as it could. Its battery of cameras and sensors opened the entire battlefield to his eyes, highlighting the areas of danger and those of safety. Had there been more of his soldiers, they would all share the sensor input and be able to coordinate their strategies accordingly. As it was, he had only two men besides himself.

How were their odds? Three men, a handful of pony guards, and one princess against an enormous mythical beast?

Maybe better than he thought. When the flames cleared Celestia was still there, a little bubble of protection vanishing from around her. As the beast bore down on her, she replied in kind with a wave of invisible force. As though gripped by the very hand of God, the dragon's claws scraped huge divots in the floor as it was slammed backward out the opening, vanishing from sight as it sunk down to the garden below.

"Flee!" Came her voice, in that same language that was at once universal and commanding. The command was for all, human and pony alike. "None of you can fight a dragon! Retreat to the eastern tower!"

Her guards did not salute, but they obeyed immediately. Richard was shocked to see his own men obeyed as well, at least the two he still had. As though compelled by some supernatural force, they ran from the chamber, keeping pace with the pony guards who they seemed to be trusting to lead them. Of all who heard the voice, there was only one who had the strength of will to resist the command it gave. Richard could hear his advisers screaming in protest as he drew off what was left of his royal vestments, letting them fall callously to the ground.

He had every right to leave. By all accounts, the princess wanted him to get out of here and away from danger. His advisers were already appalled at the enormous risk to his person this expedition had become. If they could see what he was about to do, he couldn't even guess how they would react.

But that didn't matter. Celestia, this ruler of Equestria, was locked in combat with a deadly foe, one who had "killed" one of his own men. It was true he had everything to gain by assisting this pony in deadly battle when he wanted to become her ally. But that was not what motivated him to draw the longsword from its sheath on his back, the weapon which until now he had considered to be purely ceremonial.

No, Richard was not motivated to fight by the political gains. He fought because he honored the same oath he expected his knights to keep. Richard was a good king.

Author's Note:

Well here we are, another chapter! Things sure are picking up much faster than they did in MLA... but I suppose that was a different sort of story. Not really a story about any sort of physical conflict like this one is. I'm sorry if I'll be a little slow about answering comments this time around; I'm going to be at Anime Expo all day today and tomorrow (and the last two days, but those are already over) so that will probably effect how fast I can respond to comments sent my way. Still, I really do apreciate everyone who takes the time to read and comment on the story, and if you ask questions or do anything that requires a response you can be confident that I will eventually do just that. And again, a huge thanks to my alpha readers for doing so much to make this story more readable before it even gets posted. Sure makes my Saturdays less stressful knowing most of the mistakes have already been fixed.