• Published 2nd Aug 2016
  • 5,934 Views, 356 Comments

Along Came A Spider - Onomonopia



He failed once in his world, so can he redeem himself in another?

  • ...
17
 356
 5,934

Competition

"Alright, the first outfit is finally done!" Coco exclaimed with a small squeak of happiness as she pulled the white and blue dress out from beneath the sewing machine. She placed it over her body and spun around to her two assistance with a smile beaming like the sun. "So you two, how do I look?"

"Like the princesses themselves would be jealous of your beauty," Stonewall praised with pride, causing Coco's smile to beam even larger. Then she looked past Stonewall to where Otto was sitting in a chair with a paper in hoof. She smiled at him and moved the dress once or twice, but it wasn't until Stonewall threw something at him that Otto lifted his head.

"What? Oh the dress. Feh, it looks passable." Stonewall nearly burst a vein as Coco's face fell, but if Otto noticed his face didn't show it. At the moment all of his attention was focused on the paper, so he did not notice that Coco had walked over to him until she was right beside him.

"You're reading about the Spider, right?" Coco asked, causing Otto to tear his eyes away from the paper and glance up at the mare with a look of sheer bafflement. "The Spider. That's what they're calling him. The pony in the black and red that saved me and the rest of the city from the monster. You do know who I'm talking about, right?"

'Of course I know who you're talking about, you infernal idiot! I am him!' Otto's mind roared, but he kept his emotions in while simply raising an eyebrow. "I have heard of the hero, but I did not know that they were calling him...the Spider."

"I know! That's such a cool name for him!" Coco praised with bright eyes, while Otto did his best not to throw up. "What kind of pony do you think he is? Why does he feel the need to run around with webbing and a giant spider on his chest? Why is he a hero?"

"He's not," Otto muttered under his breath, making sure that Coco didn't hear him. "And I believe that you are getting off track. If you are satisfied with that outfit, then shouldn't you be in the process of creating multiples of that outfit, instead of sitting here blathering about utter nonsense?"

Coco took the hint and raced over to the rest of the material, where she began to sew the dresses together as fast as she could. Otto shook his head as he started to read the paper again, but out of the corner of his mind he caught that Stonewall was giving him a look that did not sit well with him.

"What is the matter fool, unable to read the headline?" Otto taunted with a smirk, his smile growing wider when Stonewall snarled in reply. "Sit down and let someone with an actual intellect teach you. Or you can go and beat your head against the wall, or whatever it is you did to get that mark." Whatever insult Stonewall was going to say to Otto in reply was silenced when the sound of a doorbell echoed throughout the boutique.

"Stonewall, can you get that? I'm working!" Coco called over as she tried to pull the dress she was working on free of the jaws of the sewing machine. Stonewall gave Otto a look to find that he was back to reading his paper, leaving the stallion to sigh as he walked towards the door.

'I cannot believe that the drabble would believe any of this,' Otto seethed as he read more and more about the "true report" about the newest hero of Manehatten. 'Masked hero saved city from complete destruction. That is the only part they got right. This part about being a perfect gentlepony who risked life and limb for every single civilian that was in danger. I do not recall ever doing that. I was too busy focusing on the problem of the giant monster.'

"I'm glad that the hero was there to stop the monster," Coco said loudly enough to break past Otto's mental barriers. The doctor glanced over at the mare, who was smiling out the window up at the sun. "Because now that a monster has appeared in our city, that means that we no longer need to worry about another attack."

"And why would you believe that?" Otto dared to ask.

"Because every town and city in Equestria has been attacked except for Stalliongrad, where Rarity and her friends are currently at. So if whoever is behind these attacks continue the pattern, they will attack that city and be bested by the Guardians of Harmony."

'Yes, if that person was following a simple pattern. But there is a brain at work behind this, a brain much like those that I used to associate myself with,' Otto pondered as he thought back to the creature that he had fought. 'It was a combination of different mythological creatures grown to the size of skyscrapers. Either a magician or a genius is at work here. Now the question is, will they continue the pattern...or will they take offense to a hero other than the others standing against him...not that it is my concern.'

What became Otto's concern in the next moment, was the sound of yelling at the front of the boutique followed by the sounds of shattering glass. Both Coco and Otto watched the entrance to the room with baffled looks, until the curtain was moved aside and a mare walked into the room.

As Coco gasped Otto took the moment to analyze the pony. 'Red mane and tail. Cherry cutie mark with a fuse in it. An air of superiority to all those that she looks upon. The utter disdain in her eyes for the outfits in the room. This must be the Cherry Bomb that I've heard so much about.'

"Coco...darling," Cherry Bomb said with a smile that immediately triggered Otto's spider-sense. Coco whimpered slightly as she tried to glare back at Cherry, but a glance at her showed Otto that Coco was afraid of the mare. Cherry strutted over to the mare, only to halt in her tracks when Otto moved himself between the two of them. "Oh? You're a new face. What's your name, honey?"

"None of your concern," Otto replied in a cold voice that used to be followed by the death of a person. Cherry raised an eyebrow at the chill in his tone, but whether or not she understood the threat Otto could not make out. "Now state your business and leave or I will throw you out myself."

"Oh? Like that stallion out there tried to do?" Cherry said with a laugh as she placed a hoof on Otto's shoulder. Despite having a good amount more muscle than Otto would have predicted, Octavius did not budge an inch. Cherry Bomb raised an eyebrow at his strength before a sinister smile crossed her face. "Well, you must be the real muscle. And quite the looker too. Wouldn't mind getting to know you a little better, Mr.-"

"Why are you here, Cherry?!" Coco said with her voice cracking slightly.

"Finally, the host speaks to her guest," Cherry laughed as she tried to move past Otto, but Otto placed a hoof on her shoulder and anchored her in place. "I'm not here for anything bad, Coco. Just here to congratulate you on being picked over me by Sapphire Shoals. She must have really seen something in you in order to pick you to make her next outfit."

"Maybe she wanted somepony a little more trustworthy for her show, instead of a pony known for backstabbing those around her?" Coco spat back with some venom.

"Wow, looking at you growing a spine. I'm impressed Coco, I didn't think you had it in you," Cherry said with a laugh as she backed away, Otto releasing her as she did so. "Well, I'm curious to see how your outfits will do, being judged by all of Equestria. And of course, if they don't like them, then you'll never be able to show your face in a populated place again. Well, good luck dear and break a leg. That'd make my day."

"What a cruel and conniving woman. I can almost respect her," Otto said with narrowed eyes as Cherry left the room. The moment Cherry was out of the room Coco collapsed to the ground, holding her head in her hooves as she rocked back and forth. "What is the matter with you, woman?"

"She's right! All of Equestria is going to be judging my dresses, and by extension me, while they're being worn by one of the most famous ponies in all of the world!" Coco squeaked as she curled into an even tighter ball. "What if I mess up?! What if they don't like my dresses or they think that they're tacky and outdated! What if nopony likes them?!"

"Then your career is over and you had better start looking for another job," Otto said in a blank tone. Coco let out a strange noise before she pulled a quilt of fabric over herself and started to rock back and forth. Figuring that his work was done, Otto left the room to find Stonewall rubbing his head with shattered glass around his hooves. "What happened to you?"

"Nothing."

"Nothing? This does not look like...she defeated you, didn't she? Cherry Bomb actually kicked your pompous ass! HAH! That might be the best thing I have heard since I got here! Perhaps I should by that mare dinner." Stonewall hurled some shards of glass at Otto, who had no trouble getting out of the way. Deciding to leave Stonewall to stew in his own rage, the doctor retreated to his room and pulled one of the books he had "acquired" from his bookshelf.

'I had wished to avoid this out come, but it seems that there is no longer any chance of avoiding it. If I am to be stuck here, I must learn about this land,' Otto decided as he sat down on the bed and cracked open the book of Equestria lore and mythos. 'But even though I must resign myself to the fact that I am stuck here, I still must ask why I am here?'

'Why am I alive and in a new form when I erased my very mind? Why do I still retain the spider powers when I willing surrendered those to my most hated adversary? And why did I arrive in this land just as a supervillain was starting to make himself known, with no hero to combat him? Is fate asking me to take up the fight against him? Well then my answer is no. I am done being a hero...I never was one to being with.'

\\ //
//; ;\\

The same image played before the creature again and again, despite him having seen the battle nearly a hundred times to that point. The image of his monster, his masterpiece, being bested by a single pony, a regular, earth pony, in a spider outfit. It infuriated him, it made his blood boil, but more than anything else the spider pony interested him.

"No matter how many times I see it, I cannot believe my eyes. A pony with the powers and abilities of a spider. How wonderfully fascinating." The figure then rose from his chair and flicked the screen off, having seen enough for the time being. The images had already been burned into his mind. He walked over to a large platform and pressed a button on the side, causing his floor to sink into the depths within.

"He is no pet of Celestia's, that much I know," the being muttered as the elevator reached his inner sanctum, where his children were on display for him to see. A snake with the tail of a scorpion, a giant that had been infused with the power of a dragon and so much more. It all made his heart smile to see his work alive and breathing. "But he is something more. He is a...path that I have never considered."

"All my life I have been so focused on creating the perfect lifeform, the greatest monster, that the thought of working on ponies did not occur to me," he whispered to himself as he reached a large chamber of water and placed his claws against the glass, where a large tentacle slammed into the spot where his hand was a moment later. "Ponies seemed, beneath me and my genius. That an experiment on them would be a waste. Just like they were to the pony that created me."

He the lifted his head towards a part of his collection that he did not often visit, the part of his lab where his more...arachnid experiments were all contained. He walked over to a cage and peered inside of it, spying a massive monster with eight legs that was tearing apart a zebra carcass.

"But then this pony appears with his powers. The powers of a spider. Even dressed the part. That alone...is an affront to me," he snarled as he tore open the door to the cage and hurled it across the room, causing every monster within to go silent at his rage. He stalked into the web covered room and grabbed the monster by the throat, forcing it to its knees as he tightened his grip to look upon his creation.

The spider creature had the eight legs of a spider, with armor plating that could stop a magical attack from an alicorn. The fangs within its jaw had been ripped out of the jaws of a shark and were covered in the most potent venom in the known world. It's body was covered in armor from the strongest of magma moles, making it all but impervious to attack. And its strength came from the fact that its arms and legs were both from a gorilla, giving it superior strength to any other. Save him.

"He believes that his knowledge of creation is better than mine. He believes himself to be superior to me? Then I will show him how wrong he is," the being whispered as he stared into the eight eyes of the monster, crushing any will it had. Filling a being that could crush anything else with fear. "But I am fair. I am curious. He will have a chance to prove me wrong. For he will fight you. And you will show to him and the whole world that my creations are far superior than anything else in this world. That my creations...are the future of this world."

"But in order for the world to accept the new future, I first must crush its ways of the past," he said as he hurled the spider creature out of the cell. It had barely hit the ground before it raced out of the room, leaving to execute its masters will. "So the heroes must die. The princesses must wither. The ways of friendship and harmony must fade. And all will be burned, until all that is left...is my creatures and their perfection."