• Published 2nd Aug 2016
  • 5,934 Views, 356 Comments

Along Came A Spider - Onomonopia



He failed once in his world, so can he redeem himself in another?

  • ...
17
 356
 5,934

Inferior

"Peter, you need to wake up."

Otto cracked open his eyes to see the sun pouring in from the window, letting the light in upon his apartment. He let out a groan as he stretched his arms and glanced over at the door, which was open and allowed him a perfect look into the kitchen. There he spied a woman that was hard at work, swiftly making a good amount of food for the doctor.

Otto smiled as he rolled out of bed and walked into the kitchen, getting the woman to turn her head towards him with a smile on her face that was so bright it put the sun to shame. He bent over and kissed her on the cheek, getting a smile out of her as she pointed him at the table.

"Seat yourself down slick and let me introduce you to my mothers special cooking," the lady said to Otto, who did exactly as she said and sat down, resting his head upon his hand and staring with love at the woman. "Peter, you're giving me that look again. Cut it out, it's really creepy."

"I am sorry my dear, but it is just so hard to tear my eyes off of you," Otto replied with love in every word. "You are like the image of Aphrodite herself. Perfection in everyway, Anne."

"And any more sappy words like that and I'll need an insulin shot," Anne joked in reply as she set a plate down in front of Otto. He glanced down at it with a smile before a look of confusion crossed his face as he realized he was looking at hay. He glanced back up to see Coco sitting across the table from him, an expectant look in her eyes as she awaited Otto's approval.

"What is going on?" he asked as he rose out of his chair, looking down to realize that his hands had changed into hooves. With panicked motions he began to stagger around, his world melting away until all he looked around to find himself in a ruined city filled with dust. "I know this place. This is where I fought him. Where I fought-"

"Me."

Otto spun around to see a man standing over him, a man in red, blue and who had spiderwebs all over his body. Faster than Otto could react Spiderman grabbed him by the throat and lifted him into the air, where Otto struggled to move only to find that he couldn't move.

"I told you Otto. You would fail. And that I would be there to take over when you did," Spiderman reminded Otto, reaching out his left hand towards the head of the doctor. All Otto could do was watch as the Spider grabbed hold of his head, causing Otto to roar in pain as agony consumed his very being.

\\( )//
//; ;\\

With a star Otto shot up and glanced around with fear in his eyes. He was in a bare room that only held within it a bed, one that Otto realized wasn't in the best of shape. He glanced down at his hooves to see that he was still a pony and the pain in his body told him that he was still alive. But when he leapt off of the bed and began to walk to the door, he found that he was in far worse shape than he would have thought.

"Glad to se that you're awake. I wasn't sure that you were going to live when I pulled you from the water." Otto looked up to see the face of Stonewall staring back at Otto, with a look of worry and concern upon his face. Otto sneered as he tried to walk by him, but the pain told him otherwise and he fell to his knees. "I wouldn't be moving so fast if I were you. You took quite an ass kicking up there. It's a miracle that you're still alive."

"You...saved me?" Otto asked the stallion, unable to believe that he had said those words. He then spat as he pushed by the stallion and walked out into a small living room that held two chairs and a single table in the center of the room. "Where the hell am I?"

"You're at my place. It was the only place that I could think to go to after...look, after that monster snapped your neck," Stonewall said all at once, just wanting to get it out into the air. For a long moment Otto looked at Stonewall, who was staring down Otto with a look of concern upon his face. "How did you survive that? I heard your neck break."

"He...was not the first to try and break my neck. To make sure that no one could my suit is reinforced around my neck with a material that will only allow my neck to be twisted so far. In the unlikely event that someone did manage to attempt such a maneuver, the material makes a sound identical to my neck breaking, when I am just fine," Otto replied in a voice that was filled to the brim with disgust, but a moment later he sighed weakly and glanced around. "Where is my suit? I assume you have it somewhere around here?"

Stonewall nodded and walked over to the closet, where he pulled out a folded up and still wet spider suit, which he offered to Otto. Otto took the suit and examined it for a moment before he sat down in one of the chairs, staring at the floor for a moment before he glanced up at Stonewall. "Why were you following me? If you were there to catch me when I fell then you clearly knew more than your idiotic nature let on."

"I...pieced together what was going on not long after I left for the night," Stonewall admitted. "That it wasn't Cherry that was responsible for everything and how those monsters always seemed to be after us...or rather you. I then put together that another attack might be on the way and sprinted back in time to see you chase after that stone monster. I raced after you and just managed to get to you right when you were thrown off the bridge."

"You are a little more clever than I gave you credit for, but as you saw me in my suit you know now who I am," Otto said in a no-nonsense tone. When Stonewall smirked in reply Otto raised an eyebrow, demanding explanation for the levity.

"I figured out you were the Spider long before today," Stonewall admitted but this time Otto wasn't as surprised by the reveal. "I began to wonder every time you vanished right before the Spider showed up, but there was one piece of evidence that damned you."

"And what would that be?"

"When the Spider chewed me out at the fashion show, he said someone instead of somepony. You're the only other being alive that I know of that says that," Stonewall revealed with a smile, getting a sigh out of Octavius as he hung his head.

"It matters not that you know. What happened after I...failed," Otto said in a near whisper, as if he was forcing the words out of his mouth. Stonewall chose to answer with silence for a few minutes before he gave Otto the most sympathetic look he could. "No..." Otto whispered when he put the pieces together.

"He took her. The monster took her and I don't know where," Stonewall admitted to Otto with a bitter shake of his head, never seeing the rage flash in Otto's eyes. "I was so concerned with saving you that I didn't see him take her until they were practically gone. I considered what I should do next and decided-"

Stonewall didn't get to finish as a right hook from Otto clocked him across the face. Stonewall's head snapped to the side from the force of the blow, causing him to blink a few times as he processed what had just happened. He slowly turned his head towards Otto, who was winding up for another punch.

"What the hell is wrong with you?!" Stonewall roared as he deflected the punch with one of his hooves before pushing Otto back.

"Why did you chose me over her?!" Otto roared at the top of his lungs as he took another swing at Stonewall, who blocked the blow with ease. "Why did you damn one of the kindest souls in this land for a pony who isn't worth saving?!" Otto demanded to know as he took another swing.

"I couldn't get to her in time! And even if I could, what could I do to a monster like that?!" Stonewall retorted as he caught Otto's punch and held it there. "He would have killed me with ease! I can't save her! So I saved you, because out of everypony in this city only you can! Only a hero like yourself can save-"

"Shut your damn mouth!" Otto bellowed as he kicked Stonewall hard in the chest, getting Stonewall to release his hoof with a grunt. Otto drove his hoof into the side of Stonewall's head, drawing blood from the stallions mouth. Stonewall slowly lifted his head in rage as he glared at Otto, who threw another punch at Stonewall's head. "You have no idea what you are talking about! Do not dare to call one as pathetic as me a hero!"

"But I've seen you be a hero. I've seen you save the lives of all those around you," Stonewall reminded Otto as the doctor threw punch after punch into the chest of Stonewall, who hardly even budged from the blows. "You are the Spider, the one who stopped every monster attack."

"I am no hero! I am a failure! That is all I shall ever be!" Otto bellowed with fury as he continued to throw punch after punch, each one with less strength than the last. "A real hero would have been able to defeat the Beast! A real hero would have been able to save Coco before she was kidnapped! A real hero...is not what I am."

"Yes you are," Stonewall replied, only to fuel Otto's temper once more and get him to wind back a punch. Stonewall struck first with a punch of his own that sent Otto flying across the room and into the wall, confusing the stallion as Otto slowly struggled up to his hooves. "What? But that should never-"

"Now you see. I do not even have my powers that allowed me to aid this place," Otto said in a defeated tone as he stared down at the floor. "Not that they were ever my powers to begin with. I stole them from the real hero, the one that spent all of his life saving others. I was just a cheap knockoff. I thought I could be superior to him. But in the end, I was the inferior one. And was too blind to see it." Otto then staggered to his hooves and began to limp to the door.

"Where do you think you're going?!" Stonewall roared at Otto, who stopped at the door and looked back with a broken look upon his face. "Coco is still out there! We'll need to work together if we-"

"Save her yourself. I would only get in your way," Otto replied with the voice of a broken pony. "I could not beat him when I had powers. What makes you think I'd stand any more of a chance now that he has my powers and I am powerless?"

"Because of the hero in you," Stonewall replied with a fury and belief that even Otto felt. "Because you've been risking your life ever since you got here to protect us. And I know it wasn't for fame or glory, because you never so much as said a word to the news or the ponies you saved. You did your duty and moved on. Like a hero."

"No, I moved on so they would not come to see me as something I'm not," Otto spat back with pain. "But they still believed me a hero, still believed that I would save them whenever they needed me...and we saw how that worked out for Coco."

"So you're just going to abandon her? Abandon the mare that saved your life and gave you a second chance?!" Stonewall bellowed at Otto, who glared back at him with defeated eyes.

"I have already failed her. Just how I failed everyone else that put their faith in me when I put on the suit," Otto said as he opened the door and began to stagger out of it. "I am not the Superior Spiderman. I am not Spiderman or a hero in the least. Parker will always be the greatest hero. And I will always be the greatest failure."

"Wait a moment, your suit!" Stonewall called out as he realize that Otto had left the spider suit upon his table.

"Keep it. Maybe you would make a better Spiderman than me."

Stonewall could only watch in disbelief as Otto walked out of the door and left Stonewall with the Spiderman suit. For a brief moment he considered going after him, but upon remembering the look of defeat in Otto's eyes he knew it was a fruitless gesture.

'Damn that coward, trying to walk away from all of this when he should be fighting!' Stonewall roared before he glanced down at the spider suit, knowing that it was a terrible idea. 'But somepony has to save her. And it seems I'm the only one willing to try.'

\\(0)//
//;::;\\

"Wakey wakey, dear."

Coco let out a groan as she slowly opened her eyes. The very first thing she saw when she opened her eyes was that she was staring at a mask that dangled over the face of a being that looked a lot like a satyr. She let out a yelp and tried to back away, but to her horror she looked around to find herself completely entangled in webbing.

"Where am I?" she asked the Beast, who simply smiled in reply before he stepped back to reveal that she was in the center of a sports stadium, one that was filled with all sorts of monsters and abominations that were chomping at the bit to be let loose. Her eyes went wide with fear as she gazed down upon them, before she turned her gaze to the Beast. "What do you want from me?"

"Why, you're my bargaining chip. My pony shield," the Beast replied as he ran a hand across her mane, getting the mare to shudder. "I heard that you are friends with the Ambassadors, so I will need you for when they show up to try and stop me."

"They're the least of your worries," Coco spat at the Beast, who raised an eyebrow at the sudden confidence boost for the mare. "Because what you're doing is pure evil. And there's a certain somepony in this city that puts an end to evil like you."

"Are you referring to the Spider? Because I snapped his neck." Coco's eyes went wide in horror as the Beast let out a laugh and walked away from her, gazing down upon his army with a smile upon his face. "And with him dead, there is none that can oppose me."