• Published 2nd Aug 2016
  • 5,903 Views, 356 Comments

Along Came A Spider - Onomonopia



He failed once in his world, so can he redeem himself in another?

  • ...
17
 356
 5,903

Little Buddy

Despite knowing full well that he had been an evil villain in his past, Coco had given Otto full access to an old workshop that was at the back of her boutique. According to what she had told him, the old owner of the place had been a crazy inventor that had moved on to bigger things.

'While not in the best of conditions, it will suffice for what I need to do,' Otto thought to himself as he cleaned the dust off of an old table, one that was stained with chemical and fire burns. After making sure that none of the chemical remains were hazardous, Otto placed the material that he had bought from the store a few days ago upon the table, organizing it before sitting down.

'It was thoughtful of Coco to bestow such a place upon me, but I am still surprised at how...calm she was with the knowledge that I was a former villain,' Otto thought as he picked up a screwdriver and began to move the pieces around, using his spider strength to bend the metal whenever he needed to change its shape. 'But she is truly smarter than I gave her credit for. Perhaps it would be best if I did not underestimate her in the future.'

Otto then shifted his thoughts away from the surprising intelligence of the mare that had employed him to the monster that he had battled with a few days ago. 'The only reason that I managed to find that monster was because of a completely unrelated event. If I am to...help these ponies, then I will need more eyes than I currently have.'

'But why me? There are many other heroes that have died that would be far more suited to protecting this world than the sorry excuse of a hero that I turned out to be,' Otto thought to himself as he glanced at a shard of glass laying in the corner of the room, spying once again the face of Parker glaring back at him. "Always watching, are you? Do not worry, Parker. Though you will not believe me, I will do my best...I just pray that is enough."

The doctor sat alone in silence for a few hours more until he had finished what he had been working on. He leaned back in his chair and smiled down at the little sphere with six legs that he had created, before pressing a hidden button on its underside and causing it to come to life. The little bot began to move around the table, shifting its body so that the six "eyes" it had on the front could look around.

"While far more crude than the ones I made back on Earth, it should serve its purpose," Otto muttered to himself as the small spider bot began to crawl up his arm, Otto nodding in approval as he found the adhesive function to be working properly. "While you are only the first of what I hope to be many, I know what happened with you and the rest that I built on Earth. But as this land has no Goblin or any real super geniuses, I have taken precautions."

Otto then lunged forward with an expression of pure malice upon his face and the spider bot leapt back while vibrating. Otto winced slightly when he felt his spider sense burn in the back of his mind, but the pain was quickly forgotten as a smile of victory spread across his face.

"Seems like it worked," Otto said to the tiny bot as he held out his hoof and the bot climbed into it. "Whenever you see someone in danger or are yourself in danger, you emit a vibration of warning that triggers my sense. How fortunate that years of studying Parker's infernal abilities have helped me here."

"Now go then, Alpha," Otto said to the little bot as he placed it on the ground, causing it to scurry towards the door of the room. "I have programmed you to keep an eye on Coco for me whenever I am not around. For as smart as she is, she still attracts trouble."

'Now onto my next problem,' Otto moved on as he pulled out a map of the city and placed it upon the table, glancing between the three red markings that he had made upon it. 'So far there have been three attacks in the city by these freaks. The first one took place right in the center, near the park. The next one was over here, where Coco, the fool and I were working. And then the final one was here, a few blocks away.'

'Is there a pattern? Or is it the simple delusions of a madman who simply wants to see chaos?' Otto asked himself as he thought back to the numerous crazies that he had worked with over the course of his life. 'No, though the beasts are hardly intelligent, when they do speak they make it clear that their creator has a vendetta against me. Perhaps it was for stopping his first attack or simply because he hates spiders. Whatever the reason, he will send more monsters.'

"But you are the one that doesn't make sense," Otto muttered to himself as he gazed at the spot where the snake beast had torn apart the store that repaired items. "Aside from me entering that place once, the store held no connection to me. What would this creator have to gain from killing a bunch of citizens randomly? Even when I killed citizens, most of the time I had a purpose for it..."

Shaking his head and figuring that he would not be able to do more without further information, he rose from the table and walked out of the room. He glanced through the windows to see that it was already late at night, which fit into his plans perfectly. With the knowledge of when Coco went to sleep, Otto knew that he had the entire boutique to himself.

He retreated to his room to retrieve the spider suit before returning to the boutique, where he laid he suit on one of the workbenches. He rummaged through the spools of string before he found the red and black spools and put them upon the table next to the suit.

"Back when I had Parker's body and memories, this was not that difficult," Otto recalled as he stared at the supplies on the table before he glanced down at his hooves. "Of course, back then I also had my hands to hold the needle. This will truly be an endeavor. But if this is what finally stops my progress, then I am a true failure."

It took quite a while, but after multiple attempts and numerous near screams of frustration, Otto had finally managed to repair his suit in a decent way. He grimaced slightly when he saw where the stitching was ugly and how the suit was slightly pulling one way, but he shook his head and slipped it over his body.

'It will suffice for the time being. And it simply needs to mask my features. It does not need to look pretty,' Spiderman thought to himself as he leapt onto the wall and climbed up to one of the windows, which he pushed open and slipped out into the chilly night. 'And besides, if one were to see the shoddy stitching of the suit, they would not associate me with a boutique. It is a win for me.'

'As I only have one of the spider bots available to me at the moment, I will need to patrol the city the way Parker used to,' Otto thought to himself as he began to leap from building to building, racing across the rooftops with his enhanced speed before leaping from one skyscraper to the next. 'And with only six more web cartridges, including the ones in my shooters, I cannot afford to waste webbing. It may be a little more trying than swinging around, but being conservative is my best bet.'

Though the memories that he had received from Parker were far shakier than he had remembered, Spiderman was at least able to retrieve all of the areas within New York that held the most amount of crime. Figuring that the city shared the same name and similar landmarks, he assumed that crime would be in similar areas as well. If not, he would spend the night learning more about the city. But there was always crime.

Warehouses by the water was a place that Spiderman recalled having used as a base of operations a few times in his life, so as he crawled by one he figured that he would stop by and see what was going on in there. Large crates were stacked to the sky and provided plenty of cover for the spider as he leapt from crate to crate, eyes narrowing beneath the mask when he spied ponies moving around below him.

Any thought of them simply being workers was thrown out when Spiderman spied the crossbows that they were packing, along with the fact that some of their faces reminded him of thugs that he had employed a number of times. Those thoughts, along with the fact that looking at them caused his spider sense to begin to tingle, told Spiderman all that he needed to know.

With a more powerful leap, Spiderman hurled himself from the crates to the top of the warehouse, where he landed as quietly as he could even with hooves. After waiting a brief moment to wait incase anyone heard, Spiderman slipped open one of the skylights and slipped onto the ceiling of the building. But as Spiderman looked up to see what was going on inside of the warehouse, to his surprise he found that instead of drugs or money, thee were dozens of cages filled with animals.

'How odd. Animals are things that criminals rarely smuggle,' Spiderman thought with an experts opinion. He then looked around to find the ponies in charge, eventually settling on the two that wore long coats and seemed to have bossy looks on their faces. Spiderman crawled to the point of the ceiling that was above them and tuned in to their conversation, concentrating hard to listen to what they were saying.

"...so you have no idea where any of these things are going?" one of them said to the other.

"Like I said, I'm not being paid to ask questions. I'm being paid to smuggle as many of these beast as I can to a location that was specified by my client," the one in a purple coat said in a far bossier tone. "And whoever the buyer is, they want every kind of animal that they can get their...hooves, I guess, on. Lions, elk, pigs and zebras just to name a few. You name it, they want it."

'Bizarre. But with all of those monsters that I have battled in the past couple of weeks, I believe I can put a finger on this mysterious buyer,' Spiderman pieced together before he began to weigh his options. 'If I waited and followed the animals, perhaps it would lead me to the buyer. I need to bide my time and then perhaps I can-'

"Let me out of here!" one of the cows the cages let out before mooing in distress, causing all eyes, including the Spider's, towards the bovine in distress. The smugglers didn't seem to like the fact that the cow could talk, for a moment later they began to advance upon her with weapons drawn. Spiderman, on the other hand, why trying to comprehend what he had just heard.

'So let me get this straight. Not only are ponies sentient and talking, but so are cows?' Spiderman asked himself before other voices in the cages began to speak up as well. 'As well as pigs, elk and zebras. Well, I knew about that last one, there are a few zebras in the city. But that makes this all the more difficult,' Spiderman realized as the smugglers took aim at those in the cages, who were all making noise now. 'Do I risk the lives of sentient beings to find the one who is behind all of this? Or do I free them and lose my only lead in tracking the real monster down...the second option is foolish and is tactically a dumb idea. So it must be the morally right one.'

Without another thought Spiderman propelled himself off of the ceiling and right onto the back of one of the smugglers with the purple cape. He went down with a loud crack, but Spiderman barely registered the break of the stallions back before he had already hurled himself into the smuggler next to him. As Spiderman drove a hoof into his jaw, he did a quick visual sweep of the room to see which smugglers took priority.

'The ones standing next to the cages, then the ones with crossbows...then the rest.' Spiderman did a flip off of the face of the smuggler he had struck before firing twin strands of webbing into the chests of the two smugglers standing nearest to the cages. He ripped them from their hooves and hurled them over his head, watching just long enough to see them go crunch before he moved onto the next.

His spider sense blared and Spiderman swung himself to the side to avoid numerous bolts that had been shot his way. He retaliated with numerous shots of webbing from his web shooters that either knocked the crossbows out of the ponies grasp or got their weapons stuck. He launched himself over to the now weaponless ponies and dropped them without too much effort.

Yet despite his best efforts to be as silent and efficient as possible, the sounds of bones being shattered and the screams of pain drew in those that had been stationed outside. A scowl spread across Spiderman's face as about ten or more ponies rushed in, each of them armed with some kind of weapon.

'I've wasted enough time,' Spiderman decided before he leapt into the group of new arrivals. With a speed that none of the ponies could hope to match, Spiderman unleashed a flurry of kicks and punches that shattered any part of the body that he happened to struck. With one final kick to the abdomen of one of the smugglers, Spiderman ended the battle a mere few moments after it had begun.

He didn't realize that the animals within the cages had gone quiet because of the performance and instead marched over to the pony with the purple cape, who was just starting to regain consciousness. Spiderman grabbed him by the back of the head and slammed his face into the cement floor, where the pony cried out with pain as he felt his face crack.

"Where were you going to be sending these animals?!" Spiderman bellowed at the stallion, who responded with a series of whimpers. Spiderman roared as he lifted the stallion and hurled him into the bars of one of the cages, where he cried out with pain once more. He hadn't even had the chance to slide to the ground before Spiderman was upon him once more, grabbing him by the throat and hoisting him up.

"Tell me the location of where you were to ship these animals and I promise you that you will live to make it to an emergency room," Spiderman whispered in a cold tone to the stallion as he brought the ponies face close to his, so close that the pony could see his own terrified expression in Spiderman's black eyes. Spiderman then smirked under his mask and held out his other hoof, which had small razors emerge from it. "Or I could end you and ask one of the others that are lying around here."

"It's a small island next to the Statue of Harmony! We're scheduled to drop them off their three days from now!" the thug screamed with fear in every syllable. "That's all I know, I swear! Please don't kill me!"

Spiderman smirked before he slammed his head into the face of the stallion, knocking him out could. He then tossed the pony onto the ground and quickly rounded up all of the other thugs, amassing them into one large pile of trash. A few shots of his web shooters made sure that they weren't going anywhere and he even spent a few extra shots to bind the unicorns horns tighter than the rest. Only after all of that was done did he walk over to the six cages and rip the doors of them with his strength.

One by one the captives within emerged, revealing to Spiderman that a cow, two sheep, a pig and two zebras had been held capture. The now freed animals stared in awe at the pile of unconscious bodies that were lying in a large pile covered in web before looking at their savior.

"You should head to the nearest police station and report what happened," Spiderman said to them as he made sure to stay a good ways away from them. "Tell them what you know and then tell them where to find the trash. After that, do what you will."

"You...saved us," the cow said to Spiderman, who simply nodded in reply. The freed captives then looked back to the criminals and then again to the Spider, but to their amazement he was already gone.