• ...
52
 886
 9,537

Magic 7: ラリチ

Rarity's brow furrowed as she watched the video of the "performance" in the park.

After what she'd witnessed with her own eyes, she now saw the strange "stage show" for what it truly was: three girls with impossible magical abilities battling a foul, demonic creature.

"It's not any of my business, of course," she muttered to herself as she restarted the video. "Still...I can't help but be curious about this whole thing." She tapped a manicured fingernail against her bottom lip. "But however can I learn more about this whole mahoushoujo silliness? It's not as if I can simply interrogate them."

She heard a soft knock at her bedroom door, which opened quietly. She turned to see her sister, Sweetie Belle, wrapped in a fluffy towel, hair damp and unkempt. "Oneesan, aren't you taking a bath tonight?"

Rarity blinked. "Oh! Oh, yes, of course." She frowned. "You already bathed without me?"

Sweetie Belle snorted. "It's almost ten o'clock," she said. "I'm up later than I'm supposed to be as it is."

Rarity gasped, glancing back at the clock on her laptop. "Oh, goodness! I'm so sorry, Sweetie Belle. I let the time slip away from me...!"

"Yeah, well...I'm off to bed," Sweetie Belle said, padding down the hall.

Rarity shook her head. "I'm entirely too fixated on this business with Sparkle-san and her friends," she said. She rounded up her bathrobe and headed for the bath.

"Still," she mused as she walked down the hall, "perhaps tomorrow I'll think of a way to find out more about those girls..."

Magic 7: ラリチ

After the bell on Saturday, Twilight and Rainbow found Pinkie waiting for them outside their classroom.

"I want to do something this afternoon," Pinkie said without preamble.

Twilight and Rainbow looked at each other. "I'm free," Rainbow said.

"Sure, sounds good to me," Twilight agreed. "What do you have in mind?"

"There's this cake shop I really love," Pinkie said. "Patissiere ~CARROT CUP~. They have the yummiest treats in Pony City!"

"A cake shop, huh?" Rainbow asked. "Sure, I guess. I like cake."

"Come to think of it, I haven't had any good cake in a while," Twilight said.

Pinkie beamed. "Yay! It'll be my treat."

"Oh, you don't have to—"

Pinkie made a dismissive sound and waved her hand airily. "The least I can do with all my Net Idol money is treat my bestest friends to cakes."

"Well then, what're we waitin' for?" Rainbow asked. "Let's go eat cake!"

The three girls headed for the stairs. They failed to notice Rarity peel away from the wall by the classroom door and trail behind them.

* * * * *

A girl with platinum hair and pale violet eyes stood across the street from Umadakara High School, watching the gates intently. She wore a seifuku with a pale blue blouse, a black skirt and collar flap, a silver neckerchief, white knee-high socks, and black shoes.

An Umadakara student approached her. "Excuse me...I don't recognize your uniform. What school are you from?"

The girl fixed her with an imperious glare. She quickly formed a series of hand seals. "Torimai no jutsu!"

The Umadakara student's body slackened, her eyes becoming dull. She began to flap her arms and cluck like a chicken, strutting awkwardly up the street.

As Twilight Sparkle emerged from the school with two other girls, the kunoichi leapt to the top of a utility pole and silently followed them. She idly noted that a fourth girl from Umadakara was following the girls at a distance, but dismissed it as unimportant.

* * * * *

Patissiere ~CARROT CUP~ sat on a corner. The front door was set into a diagonal cutaway wall, above which was mounted the shop's eye-pleasing, decorative sign.

Through the windows, the girls could see a well-lit, tasteful cafe area. A few tables were occupied, and several people stood at the counter. Most of the customers were schoolgirls or housewives. "Wow, this place looks kinda...fancy," Rainbow said.

Pinkie giggled. "The owners are really nice, down-to-earth people. They remodeled the shop a few years ago when fancy cake shops got really popular. Don't worry though, their cakes are super-yummy!"

"How long have you been a customer here?" Twilight asked curiously.

"Oh...since about sixth grade," Pinkie said. "Back then all they did were birthday and party cakes. Now they do fancy cakes and wedding cakes and all sorts of tasty Stirrupean stuff." She led the way into the shop. Twilight and Rainbow followed her to the counter, where a middle-aged man with a kind face and a sharp chin was ringing up orders. He saw her and smiled. "Pinkie-chan! It's been a while." He tilted his head. "What happened to your hair?"

"Oh, I just started wearing it like this," Pinkie said. "These are my friends Twilight Sparkle and Rainbow Dash. Girls, this is Cake-san."

Twilight arched an eyebrow. "Pinkie-san, you should introduce people by their actual names. Just because he's—"

"Actually, that is my name," Mr. Cake replied with a chuckle.

Twilight froze, mouth agape, and blushed. "Aa...sumimasen," she said, bowing.

Rainbow snickered.

"My wife and I get that all the time," Mr. Cake said with a grin. "Our first names make it even worse. I'm Carrot, and she's Cup."

Twilight's left eye twitched. "Uh...huh..." She placed her right hand to her chest, took a deep breath, and extended her hand straight out as she exhaled. "It's a pleasure to meet you."

Mr. Cake chuckled. "So, what can I get for you girls today?"

The girls turned their attention to the rows of desserts in the display case. The selection ranged from simple cakes to sublime confections that spoke of years of dedication to creating delectable gourmet pastries. "So many choices," Rainbow said. "I don't even know what to get..."

"Green tea tiramisu?" Twilight wondered aloud, studying said dessert.

"If you want something sweet, don't get that," Pinkie said absently. She studied the desserts with a critical eye. "I think I'll have the mille-feuille today," she said.

"This raspberry one looks good," Rainbow said. "I think I'll try that."

"I'll go with the strawberry shortcake," Twilight decided.

Mr. Cake plated their selections, and Pinkie paid. As the three girls wandered to an isolated table, Rarity stepped up to the counter, selected a mont blanc, then wandered circuitously around the cafe area, keeping an eye on the girls. Once she was certain none of them had noticed her, she sat down directly behind Twilight.

"Celestia-sama would love this," Twilight said. "I wish there was a way to send her some."

"Send?" Rainbow asked, tilting her head. "Couldn't she just come here and—"

"Celestia-sama can't leave Sun Island," Twilight said.

"I think they can get by without her for five minutes while she pops over to Pony City for cake," Rainbow said. "I mean, she was at your place almost that long after that mess at the park."

Twilight shook her head. "Celestia-sama was never physically there," she said. "When I say she can't leave Sun Island, I mean she's literally incapable of leaving Sun Island."

Rainbow blinked. "Wait, what?"

"What you saw in my apartment that afternoon was a projection," Twilight explained. "Celestia-sama can create an image of herself anywhere the light of the sun reaches. You can see her, you can speak to her, but she isn't really there."

"Huh. Weird."

"Why can't she leave?" Pinkie asked.

"Among other things, her magic is an integral component of the fields protecting Sun Island from the rest of the world," Twilight explained. At their confused looks, she furrowed her brow. "I've never actually told you much about Sun Island, have I?"

"All I really know is you, Spike, your mom, and Sunset Shimmer are all from there, and this Celestia lady is in charge there," Rainbow said.

Twilight took a deep breath. "Sun Island lies directly on what you call the International Date Line. Powerful magic has hidden the island from the outside world for thousands of years. Celestia-sama, the Great Sun Sage, is several thousand years old, and her magic is the core of the protection spells that hide Sun Island. Without her, we would be vulnerable to the outside world.

"Every single person born on Sun Island possesses magical power. Some are only capable of low-level magic, while others wield tremendous magical power."

"Like you and Sunset Shimmer?" Pinkie asked.

Twilight nodded. "Sunset Shimmer and I were equal in power before she killed her mother and drained her power. Her mother was a high-level mage. With her mother's power added to her own, combined with the dark power gained from the forbidden ritual she used to drain Sunset Satin's magic, Sunset Shimmer has become more powerful than even our strongest battle mages. The immortality doesn't help matters." Twilight grimaced.

"Yeah, it's no fun shooting lightning and stuff at somebody who's not gonna play nice and die," Pinkie said.

"Whoa," Rainbow said, staring at Pinkie. "That was a little...dark for you."

Pinkie blinked. "Huh? What do you mean? Aren't we supposed to kill Sunset Shimmer?"

Rainbow frowned. "Good point."

Twilight sighed. "Even though I tried to kill her when she kidnapped Okaasan, I'd rather capture her and return her to Sun Island if at all possible. She deserves to rot in the dungeon for however long she lives. But...I don't really see any way for that to happen. Once all six Elements of Harmony are active...all we can do is hope it's enough to bring her down."

Twilight picked morosely at her cake. Pinkie bowed her head. Rainbow furrowed her brow, casting about for a change of subject. "Okay so, what, girls on your island are all mahoushoujo, and guys are...magic ninja, like Spike?"

Twilight shook her head. "It doesn't work that way," she said. "It isn't about gender, it's about clan and alignment. Really explaining it would take hours, but..." She took a bite of cake. "Basically, you've got pure magic, virtue magic, and vice magic. The pure magic clans, like mine, are generally the strongest mages. We're usually the lorekeepers, the teachers, the guardians of the island's secrets, that sort of thing. The virtue mages are healers. The vice mages...well, you've both seen Spike in action. They're pretty much all ninja, and train as hard in physical combat as they do in magic."

"But they're not all perverts like Spike, right?" Rainbow asked.

Twilight laughed. "No, no. Like I told you, Spike's clan traditionally chooses greed as their vice. Spike's whole lust thing...that's just him." She paused. "The other clans use other vices to power their magic. Pride, envy, gluttony...you get the idea." She turned her fork over in her hand. "More often than not, the vice clans spread their influence to the outside world, because the environment of Sun Island isn't really very hospitable to them. Their schools and clan estates are on Sun Island, but typically, once they've completed their training, they leave the island to pursue their dreams and ambitions elsewhere. Only the clan elders and the traditionalists really stay put."

"So these vice guys are the ninja, and the virtue guys are white mages, and everybody else are mahoushoujo? Or mahoushounen, I guess?" Pinkie asked.

Twilight frowned. "You're still overgeneralizing it," she said. "Sun Island is just as diverse as Neighpon, or anywhere else in the world." She paused, then added, "Also, mahoushoujo aren't normally a thing on Sun Island. Not like what we've been doing here. Sunset Shimmer made herself over as some kind of dark mahoushoujo, and I honestly don't know or care what's up with that, but I wasn't a mahoushoujo like you see in manga and anime until the Element of Magic resonated with me." Twilight looked down at her empty plate. "I think I should buy some cake to take home for Okaasan and Spike. Do you girls want to come back to the bookstore with me?"

"Sure," Pinkie chirped.

"Yeah, that sounds good," Rainbow said.

As the girls stood and headed back to the counter, Rarity's brow creased thoughtfully.

* * * * *

Twilight, Rainbow, and Pinkie walked toward the bus stop. Twilight held a small cardboard box with the cake shop's logo printed brightly on the side.

"So are we ever gonna talk about Rarity-senpai eavesdropping on us back at the cake shop?" Pinkie asked lightly.

"Yeah, what was up with that?" Rainbow asked. "Did she really think we didn't notice her following us?"

"Oh, I'm not worried about it," Twilight said. "After what she overheard, she either thinks we're crazy, or she's going to corner me at school. First chance I get, I'll use my memory spell, and that'll be that."

"But why was she spying on us?" Pinkie wondered.

"Maybe because she saw us running from a swarm of supernatural creatures?" Rainbow suggested.

"Oh yeah," Pinkie said, nodding.

"Twilight, are you sure that memory spell will work?" Rainbow asked.

Twilight groaned. "Yes, Rainbow-san, it's going to work this time. It usually works. In fact, the only time it's ever not worked was on you."

"Yeah, but—"

A manticore landed right in front of the three girls, roaring and snapping its venomous tail like a whip. Passersby screamed in alarm and began running in all directions. The ones who didn't run in terror pulled out their phones and began snapping photos.

"—what the—?!"

Pinkie's hair stood on end as she jumped back three feet, pointing a shaking finger at the beast. "BIG MONSTER! BIG! MONSTER!"

Twilight frowned. "Okay, I have no idea how Sunset Shimmer managed to bring a manticore here, but..." The cake box and her bag vanished in twin bursts of magenta magic, and she pulled her henshin locket out of her blouse. The others followed suit.

"Element of Harmony..."

"Element of Harmony..."

"Element of Harmony..."

As the girls' Elements appeared in their free hands, three thin gleaming silver streaks struck them, knocking them out of their owners' hands and sending them skittering across the pavement.

"...what just happened?" Rainbow asked.

A blue shape descended from above, landing by the dropped Elements. "I'll be taking these, thank you." A kunoichi clad in blue swept up the Elements and tucked them into her tunic.

"Hey! Give those back!" Rainbow yelled.

"Yeah! Stealing is unsmile!"

Twilight frowned and extended her hands. "Contain!" With a flash of magenta light, a violet magical bubble snapped into place around...

...a glittering blue cloud of smoke, which faded to reveal nothing.

"Where'd she go?" Rainbow asked.

"She's got the Elements!" Twilight cried. "And we still have to deal with the—" She turned around, only to find the sidewalk empty. "—manticore?"

"...what just happened?" Pinkie asked, her hair falling limp.

A small blue card fluttered to the ground in front of Twilight. She picked it up and studied it, frowning. The others crowded her, looking down.

The only thing on the card was a drawing of a magic wand with a star-shaped tip and a crescent-shaped wisp of glittery smoke.

"I recognize this mark," Twilight said in a flat, irritated tone. She pulled out her phone with a frustrated sigh. "Spike? We need your help..."

* * * * *

Spike frowned as he studied the calling card. "Lulamoon Clan? The hell are they doing here?"

"Stealing the Elements of Harmony, for starters," Twilight said. "You can track her, right?"

"Probably," Spike said. "But I might need some—"

"Excuse me," a voice intruded. "Is there anything I might be able to do to help?"

The girls and Spike turned to see Rarity standing behind them. Spike's jaw dropped.

"Senpai," Twilight began, "now isn't the best—"

"I saw that badly-dressed ninja girl steal your magic jewel thingies," Rarity said. "You need those to become mahoushoujo, right? They're important, right?"

Spike's jaw dropped. "How does she know all that?"

"She's been spying on us all afternoon," Rainbow said crossly, arms folded.

"And I do apologize, spying is very unladylike," Rarity said in an offhanded tone, "but that isn't important right now." She cracked her knuckles and popped her neck. "I'm more than happy to help you recover your stolen property."

"Well, as much as I appreciate your offer, Senpai," Twilight said, "this is a little bit out of your league, and—" She trailed off, a thoughtful look on her face. "Actually, maybe there is something you can do to help." She walked up to Rarity, leaned close, and said quietly, "Tell Spike your measurements."

Rarity blinked. "What?" she gasped, pressing a hand to her chest. "Sparkle-san, that's—"

"It's the best way you can help us right now," Twilight insisted. "You did listen in on our conversation at the cake shop, right?"

Rarity blinked. "You were serious about that?" At Twilight's nod, Rarity paled. "Well...if it will help..." She walked over to Spike, leaned close, and, face red with embarrassment, whispered in his ear.

Spike's eyes widened. A pale green aura flared around his body, humming faintly with power. Abruptly, his street clothes were replaced by form-fitting black leather pants and boots, a sleeveless bright purple dragonscale vest over an otherwise bare torso, purple metal bracers on his forearms, and a silver headband with an emerald green reflective visor that covered the top half of his face. Numbers and directional vectors flashed along the inside of his visor. "One point seven kilometers east-southeast," Spike said. "Everyone grab hold of me."

Twilight, Rainbow, and Pinkie reached out and took hold of Spike's arms. As he began to glow more brightly, Rarity reached out and clasped her hand on his shoulder.

"Wait!" Twilight cried. "Senpai, you're not comi—"

* * * * *

"—ng with us," Twilight finished as the scenery around them changed. The group blinked as their eyes adjusted to the decreased light level; they had teleported into a parking garage.

"She's close," Spike said.

"Why'd you have to come with us?" Rainbow demanded hotly of Rarity. "This is none of your business!"

Rarity gasped in mock offense. "Really! I made a tremendous personal sacrifice to help this adorable if lecherous little boy track down that unfashionable thief! Besides, without those trinkets, you and Pie-san are essentially useless at the moment, are you not?"

"I'll show you useless," Rainbow growled.

"Uh, Rainbow-chan? Do you really want to pick a fight with the captain of the Judo team right now?" Pinkie asked.

Spike perked up. "You're a martial artist?" he asked Rarity.

"The pride of Umadakara High," Rarity said.

Spike formed a seal with his hands. "Kawari no jutsu!" Rarity's school uniform was replaced with a black silk gi with gold lamé trim.

Rarity blinked and looked down at herself. "How did—what..." She trailed off. "Actually, this is very comfortable and stylish. Thank you!"

Twilight groaned. "SPIKE! Focus here!"

"Oh, the thief's headed right this way. Really fast, too," he added.

Pinkie's head whipped around. "Hey, do you hear that?"

Everyone turned to stare in the same direction Pinkie was facing. A faint sound was growing closer.

"Is that a motorcycle engine?" Rainbow asked.

"Well, we are in a parking garage," Rarity pointed out.

The headlight of a motorcycle emerged from the ramp, heading straight toward them.

"That's her!" Spike declared. A kunai appeared in his hand. "Get back, everyone!"

As the others moved out of the way, Spike took aim. The motorcycle was only a few meters away when he threw the kunai, which buried itself in the bike's front tire. The wheel wobbled, and the bike swerved and collided with a pylon. The rider leapt free at the last possible second, and a hailstorm of shuriken forced Spike to retreat.

The kunoichi removed her helmet and threw it aside angrily. "Who DARES?" she thundered. "The Legendary Kunoichi Trixie will have your name before she kills you!"

"I'm Spike of the Emerald Flame Dragon Clan," Spike declared. "And if you had nicer tits, I'd think twice about killing you."

Trixie blinked. "Emerald Flame?" She smirked. "Then this needn't end in bloodshed. Trixie is being paid quite handsomely to deliver the Elements of Harmony and their owners to her employer. Trixie might be persuaded to share her reward..."

Spike's eyes hardened. "Don't even think about touching Neechan," he said dangerously. "Now, give back the Elements of Harmony before this gets messy."

A straight-bladed short sword appeared in Trixie's hand. "Don't say Trixie didn't warn you." She charged toward Spike and struck low. He leapt over her and threw three shuriken, two of which found their marks in her back. Trixie grunted and turned, throwing a kunai at Spike. Spike caught it and returned fire; it ripped through Trixie's tunic as she turned, and the Elements of Harmony fell out, landing on the pavement.

Pinkie dived into the fray, snatching the Elements before Trixie could recover.

"UNHAND THOSE!" Trixie roared. She threw a shuriken at Pinkie—

—which was caught and returned by Rarity, who had moved with surprising speed. The shuriken grazed Trixie's shoulder, but served as enough of a distraction for Pinkie to put the Elements down her blouse and hide behind Twilight.

"Contain!"

Trixie found herself caught in Twilight's spell. Spike and Rarity closed ranks on her. She hesitated, looking left, then right. "N-no...s-stay back...Trixie is warning you...!"

Twilight marched up to Trixie. "Did Sunset Shimmer hire you?" she demanded.

"H-hai..."

"If I let you go, will you tell me where she's hiding?"

"H-hai..."

"Twilight...this is a bad idea..." Spike warned.

Twilight released her spell. Trixie smirked haughtily and flipped her hair. "Very well, Trixie will tell you what you want to know." She pulled out a notebook and pen and wrote something down. She tore off a page, then handed it to Twilight.

Twilight looked at the paper, blinked, and scowled. "Why, you...!"

"Perhaps we will meet again, Twilight Sparkle!" With that, Trixie vanished in a cloud of glittering blue smoke.

Twilight threw back her head and screamed. "That little...!"

"What's it say?" Pinkie asked, looking over Twilight's shoulder. She blinked. "Wow, that's really rude."

"What is?" Rainbow asked, snatching the paper away. Spike and Rarity looked over her shoulder and read what Trixie had written:

Up your fat butt!

Rarity's eye twitched. "Why that ill-mannered...!"

"What does she mean 'fat'?" Spike asked. "Neechan's butt is perfect!"

Twilight sighed. "Well, at any rate, we got the Elements of Harmony back," she said. "That's all that matters." She turned to Rarity. "Senpai...thank you for your help."

"It was my pleasure," Rarity said.

"And I'm really sorry about this," Twilight said, "but I have to erase your memory now."

Rarity took a hesitant step away from Twilight. "What...?"

"No!" Spike said. "I won't let you!"

"Spike," Twilight said, "you know Celestia-sama wouldn't—"

"Senpai actually kinda rocks," Rainbow said. "I don't even care about her spying on us anymore."

"Yeah, I'm starting to like her," Pinkie said. "Twilight-chan, why can't Senpai be our friend instead?"

Twilight sighed. "Alright, fine," she said. "I won't use the memory spell on her." She raised a warning finger. "But I have to tell Celestia-sama about what happened here. If she orders me to erase Senpai's memory, I will."

"Yosh'!" Spike handed Rarity a silver locket and one of the inert Elements of Harmony. "Here," he said. "With this, you can fight alongside the other girls as a mahoushoujo."

"That's not how it works and you know it!" Twilight snapped. "She hasn't been chosen by the Elements of Harmony!"

"But I want this beautiful goddess on our team!" Spike whined.

Rarity blinked. "Anou...I...I'm flattered, truly, but I have no intention of playing dress-up and fighting ugly monsters." She handed the locket and Element back to Spike. "I'm sorry, but I can't accept." She paused, then added, "Although I would like to keep this lovely gi, if that's alright."

"It's yours, my lady," Spike said. "Oh, and here's your school uniform back." Rarity's uniform appeared in a burst of green flame, neatly folded. As he handed it back to her, he added, "If you change your mind about joining us, just say the word."

Rarity bowed. "Well then, I'll take my leave." She picked up her school bag, which she'd dropped at the start of the fight, then headed for the elevator.

"I guess we should be getting home then," Twilight said. "As soon as we figure out where the nearest bus stop is."

* * * * *

Rarity searched the ground floor until she found a toilet, then stopped to change clothes before heading home.

As she removed the exquisite gi Spike had given her, she realized something was missing. In all the excitement, she hadn't noticed it, but now...

She picked up her folded uniform and searched through it, fearing what she wouldn't find. She gritted her teeth, one eye twitching furiously. "Why that little..."

Face flaming, Rarity folded the gi into her bag, then put on her uniform. She prayed she wouldn't encounter any wind gusts, schoolmates, or gropers on the way home.

* * * * *

Spike lovingly smoothed out the newest additions to his collection and put them in his special secret drawer. "Until we meet again, Rarity-sama," he said with a happy sigh.

Author's Note:

The error in the name and signage of the cake shop is deliberate. It should, of course, be called Pâtisserie, but in the fine tradition of Japanese using loanwords incorrectly, I chose "Patissiere", which is at least still technically applicable...to Mrs. Cake.