• ...
52
 886
 9,504

Loyalty 8: シルバー

Twilight's phone rang a little after one in the morning. She groaned as she sat up in bed and reached for it. "Hello?"

//Twilight, my locket was stolen!// Rainbow said. //That bitch Lightning Dust stole my henshin locket!//

Twilight blinked. "What?"

//What am I gonna do, Twilight?//

Twilight took a deep breath. "Did she get the Element of Loyalty?"

//Nah, that's safe.//

"Then the only problem we have is that your friend is a petty thief," Twilight said. "The locket can be replaced. Come by in the morning, we'll talk about it."

//What, just like that?//

"It's just silver," Twilight said. "I'll get Celestia-sama to send along a new one."

//Oh. Okay. Man...I feel like an idiot...//

"I'll see you in the morning, Rainbow-san."

//Yeah...g'nite, Twilight.//

Twilight sighed and ran a hand through her hair. "Wonderful..."

Loyalty 8: シルバー

As soon as the sun rose, Twilight called Celestia.

"Good morning, Twilight Sparkle!"

"Celestia-sama...Rainbow-san was robbed last night. Her henshin locket was stolen."

Celestia's brow furrowed. "Her Element of Harmony? Is it—?"

"Yes, it's safe," Twilight said. "Her locket was stolen by...an old friend of hers. I doubt she had any idea what it really was." She frowned. "Looks like she just intended to steal from Rainbow-san for money."

Celestia sighed. "I see..." She shook her head and rubbed the bridge of her nose. "Well, the locket is easily replaced, although it will take some time to deliver the replacement to Pony City." She frowned. "Perhaps I should have extras made, just in case."

"That would be prudent," Twilight admitted. "I wish we didn't need the lockets at all..."

"It's necessary," Celestia said. "An intermediary conduit for the magic of the Elements of Harmony is—"

"I know," Twilight said. "Without it, the power is too much for a human body."

"More importantly, how is your friend holding up?"

"I don't know yet," Twilight said. "I think the locket is the only thing that was stolen, but...more to the point, someone she trusted betrayed her..."

"Yes...a friend betraying you is..." Celestia looked troubled. She sighed. "Tell your friend that we will be sending her a new locket as soon as possible. If anything should come up in the meantime...you'll just have to fight without her."

"She won't be happy about that, but—"

Her bedroom door opened. Spike staggered in.

Twilight gasped.

Spike was covered in cuts and bruises, and his left eye was swollen shut. "SPIKE! What happened?!"

"I think your new boyfriend happened," Spike said before collapsing to the floor in a heap.

In the mirror, Celestia blinked repeatedly. "Oh my..."

* * * * *

Dreadwing stared at the item Thundercracker held in her hand. "Is that what I think it is?"

"Yep," Thundercracker said. "Stole this off Rainbow Dash."

"Let me see that," Starscream said. Thundercracker tossed it over to her. Starscream's hands glowed a faint blue as she studied the locket. "Huh," she said.

"What?" Dreadwing asked.

Starscream looked up. "It's just silver," she said. "I mean, yeah, there's magic in it...trace magic from one of those Elements of Harmony, mostly an imprint. But aside from the velvet crap lining the inside, it's just pure silver."

"So...what's that mean?" Thundercracker asked.

Dreadwing shrugged. "Silver's a natural magic conduit. Makes sense they'd make their henshin lockets out of it. Without the Element of Harmony that goes with it, it's just a locket."

"Huh. So..." Thundercracker trailed off. "I guess all I did was steal a silver locket, then? Doesn't really help us at all?"

"I wouldn't say that," Starscream said. Her hands began to glow red; lightning coursed over the locket. The emblem etched on the surface slowly disappeared. "There...I neutralized the magic of the Element."

"What's that mean?" Thundercracker asked.

"It means I can try an experiment," Starscream said. She stood up and walked over to the table where the Lunar Seal sat. She placed one hand on the Seal and held the locket in her other hand, its front cover touching the rough crystal.

"Wait, what—"

Red lightning coursed over the locket, the Lunar Seal, and Starscream. She threw her head back; an intense crackling sound filled the air, as well as an audible hum of power. The crystal began to strobe, visible in the light of day for the first time since the Shadowbolts had stolen it. The silver locket began to pulse with red-black power.

Starscream let out a strangled cry, but held her grip on the Seal and the locket. Slowly, the red lightning faded, becoming a steady pulse of silver-blue light that traveled up one arm from the Seal and down the other into the locket.

After several tense minutes, she collapsed to the floor. The locket fell out of her hand.

The front cover burned black for a moment. A black crescent moon surrounding a black lightning bolt appeared on its surface, which was noticeably darker than it had been before.

"What the hell'd you just DO?" Dreadwing asked.

Starscream groaned and sat up. "I...did it," she said groggily. "I siphoned...some of the magic from the Seal...put it in the locket. I didn't get much, but..." She fingered the chain, then picked it up and tossed it at Thundercracker's feet. "Here," she said weakly. "You stole it, you get to test it."

"Test it?" Thundercracker asked as she picked it up. "What...?"

The locket flashed silver. Thundercracker's body was engulfed in a pillar of silver flames.

When the flames faded...

Dreadwing stared. "Whoa."

Starscream smiled grimly. "Ladies? We need silver. Pure silver, and lots of it. I think we've found a way to drain the magic out of the Seal..."

* * * * *

Rainbow arrived at Twilight's apartment to find Cadance, Velvet, and Twilight clustered around Spike, who looked like he'd lost an argument with a bus. Cadance's hands were shedding pale magic in gentle waves over the unconscious boy, gradually healing his injuries.

"Whoa," Rainbow said. "What happened to him?"

"We're not sure," Twilight said. "He passed out before he could explain how he got this way." She frowned. "I think he said Sentry-san did this to him, but...that's just not possible..."

Rainbow snorted. "Seriously? He's tryin' to pull that?" She shook her head. "Man, that's pathetic..."

"He didn't do this to himself, that's for sure," Cadance said. "There are bite marks all over his body. Something mauled him."

"Bite marks?" Rainbow cried. "Whoa!"

Twilight took Spike's hand and squeezed it gently. "Whoever or whatever did this to you, they'll answer to me," she said firmly. She then looked up at Rainbow. "Celestia-sama is seeing to a replacement for your locket," she said. "It may be a while...a few days, maybe a week. She's ordering several extras, just in case something like this happens again, and it'll take time for them to be delivered from Sun Island."

"Cool," Rainbow said. "Umm...how much trouble am I in for—"

"It's not your fault," Twilight said. She frowned. "Although if I were you, I wouldn't have any further involvement with Lightning Dust-san."

Rainbow scowled. "Yyyyeah that's pretty much over now," she said. "She's had a bitchy attitude ever since she came back to town and now she steals from me? We're so done. If I see her again, I'm kicking her face in."

* * * * *

"The silver exchange?" Thundercracker said doubtfully. "I dunno...the places we rob usually have a lot less security..."

"But we've been going low-key," Starscream said. "We've been acting like regular catburglars, Dreadwing's occasional use of her ninja magic aside."

"This time, we go in hard with everything we've got," Dreadwing said. She smiled grimly. "Anyone gets in our way, we kill 'em."

* * * * *

Spike woke up around lunchtime. "Ugh," he groaned. "What...happened?"

"We were hoping you could tell us," Twilight said. She smiled at him and squeezed his hand. "How do you feel?"

"Sore," Spike said. "Like I got used for a punching bag."

"Cadance healed you, but you were in pretty bad shape, so...it'd be best if you rest up for a day or two." Twilight frowned. "What attacked you?"

Spike frowned. "I think it was that jerk Flash Sentry," he said.

Twilight sighed. "Spike..."

"No, I'm serious," Spike said. "Something's not right with that guy. For one thing, he's a jerk. He acted like a total freak...said some really nasty stuff about me, you, and Sweetie Belle."

Twilight frowned. "That doesn't sound right," she said. "Sentry-san has been nothing but polite to me..."

"Yeah? Well he sure showed me his true colors," Spike grumbled.

"Spike..." Twilight shook her head. "It just..." She blinked, then stared at Spike. "Exactly where did you even run into Sentry-san, anyway?"

Spike flinched. "Uhh..."

"Spike," Twilight said sternly, folding her arms.

Spike bowed his head. "I followed him after your date, alright? I wanted...I wanted to find out more about this guy. Where he lives, stuff like that."

Twilight groaned. "I can't believe you," she said. "This is not okay, Spike."

"Hey, I can't let just anyone...!" Spike began. He shook his head. "Anyway...I don't want you seeing him again, Neechan. He's bad news."

"I think I can take care of myself," Twilight said. She shook her head. "Anyway, whatever happened to you, it had nothing to do with Sentry-san. Cadance said you were covered in bite marks. Whatever attacked you mauled you. Sentry-san is...he's just an ordinary human." She stood up. "I'll get you something to eat."

Spike watched her head for the kitchen. "No, Neechan," he said softly. "He isn't normal at all..."

* * * * *

Monday night, Applejack and Apple Bloom were watching Ramen Ninja together when the network news ticker appeared at the top of the screen.

Silver exchange robbed — three guards wounded, two guards killed — suspects at large — described as three females — no further information available

"Three females...?" Applejack wondered. She pulled out her phone and called Twilight. "Hey, did you hear about th' silver exchange robbery? Sounds mighty like them Shadowbolts...yeah...uh-huh...okay...alright...seeya tomorrow..."

Hanging up, Applejack sighed. "Dang it all."

"The bad girls that wanted to kill us are behind this?" Apple Bloom asked.

"Dunno, sugarcube, but it sure looks that way," Applejack said grimly. "Don't you fret none, we'll figure it out."

* * * * *

The Shadowbolts entered their apartment in street clothes, the stolen silver packed securely in gym bags. "So, did we get enough?" Thundercracker asked.

"I'm not sure yet," Starscream said. "It's going to take me a while to make henshin items for Dreadwing and myself." She frowned. "And even then, between the three of us, we'll only have about fifteen percent of the Seal's power. And...I can't risk draining more than five percent of its power a day. Transferring its magic into that locket was...painful."

"I can't believe you've had the power to drain this thing's magic all this time," Thundercracker said.

Starscream shrugged. "Hey, I wasn't even sure it'd work. I don't know if I can drain all the power out of it, though."

"Even if you can't, we're that much closer to wiping out the mahoushoujo," Dreadwing said. "And even with this much power, I can kill that Emerald Flame brat. Then I can plan the destruction of the entire Emerald Flame clan."

Thundercracker sighed. "You and your revenge..."

Starscream cleared her throat. "I'll get started first thing in the morning," she said.

* * * * *

The mahoushoujo met in their usual place for lunch. A grim mood settled over the group.

"Alright, so...what do you think, Sparkle-san?" Rarity asked. "Did these Shadowbolts rob the silver exchange?"

"It's possible," Twilight said. "Given the details of the robbery, it does sound a lot like the museum robbery in Deer Valley...which we know they were behind, because they stole the Lunar Seal that was kept there."

"Why rob a silver exchange, though?" Pinkie asked.

Twilight pushed up her glasses. "I've been doing some research," she said. "Over the past year, there have been numerous robberies in various parts of Neighpon which have never been solved. The suspects in each case have been described as anywhere from one to three females wearing completely concealing outfits. In almost every instance, one or more people have been injured. In two instances—the robbery in Deer Valley and this robbery—there have been fatalities." She frowned. "My guess? Most of their robberies are motivated by petty greed, but the robbery in Deer Valley was part of their leader's revenge plot against Spike's clan." She shook her head. "It's difficult to say if this latest robbery is just the Shadowbolts needing money, or if it has some greater significance."

"Ugh," Rainbow groaned.

"Umm...how would they even sell that silver, though?" Pinkie asked, scratching her head. "I mean, isn't that stuff like, stamped and stuff?"

"Ah'm sure they got ways t' sell off stolen stuff like that," Applejack said.

"If we had some way of finding the Shadowbolts' hideout, we could take them out and return all their stolen property to the police," Twilight said. "Except for the Lunar Seal. That would need to be sent to Celestia-sama for safekeeping."

"I would rather not have a Lunar Seal anywhere near Sun Island, actually."

The girls looked up to see an image of Celestia standing beside them. "After all, I dispersed them across the globe for a reason."

"But...Celestia-sama..." Twilight said. "Surely, given recent events, the Seals would be better off locked away in the protected vaults on Sun Island..."

Celestia shook her head. "It's too risky to have the Lunar Seals that close to the prison," she said. "Especially now that my sister is awake in her tomb. No...if you manage to recover the Lunar Seal the Shadowbolts possess, or any other Lunar Seal, I want you to throw it into the ocean. Let the sea floor be its home."

Twilight nodded. "As you wish, Celestia-sama." She frowned. "Do you have any idea why the Shadowbolts might be interested in stealing a large amount of silver?"

"I'm afraid not," Celestia said. "Unless they intend to create magical conduits or weapons...which reminds me. Rainbow Dash, your new locket will be delivered tomorrow."

"Thanks," Rainbow said. "I'm real sorry about Lightning Dust stealin' th' first one."

Celestia sighed. "These things happen. I'm just sorry you were betrayed by a friend. I know very well how painful that can be..."

Rainbow shrugged. "Eh. I shoulda seen it comin', really. Dusty's always been kinda...bad."

"Everyone has the potential for good in them. It takes a good friend to make them realize that." Celestia looked at Twilight. "What of Spike's assault the other night?"

Twilight shook her head. "We still don't know what happened. His assertion that Sentry-san is the one who attacked him makes no sense, and even Spike admits he isn't sure what happened."

Rainbow snorted. "Yeah, there's no way the school pretty-boy managed to give a ninja a beatdown."

"Be careful, all of you," Celestia said. "I fear there are more things out of place in Pony City than we are yet aware." With that, she disappeared.

* * * * *

Starscream lay on the floor of the living room, gasping for breath. Occasional flickers of silver-black lightning arced up and down her arms.

Beside her lay a dark silver bracer, engraved with a black crescent moon surrounding a black lightning bolt. On the table next to the Lunar Seal sat a gleaming silver bracer, pure and unmarked.

Dreadwing picked up the bracer and examined it. "I like it," she said. "It's a lot harder to snatch off us than lockets would be."

"Any chance I can get mine in a bracer?" Thundercracker asked, fingering her locket.

Starscream glared up at her. "No," she said flatly. "I've already gone through this once for you. You'd better learn to live with it."

"Hey, okay, chill," Thundercracker said, holding her palms out in a placating gesture. "Just asking."

Dreadwing snapped the bracer around her left arm and made a fist. Silver flames engulfed her body...

Thundercracker took a step back as the transformation took hold. "Holy SHIT," she gasped.

Dreadwing grinned. "Aww yeah," she said. "That Emerald Flame brat won't know what hit him."

* * * * *

When Twilight returned home from school on Wednesday, she found a pair of unfamiliar shiny black shoes in the genkan, and Spike sitting in the living room chatting with a girl his age. The girl had pale skin and long, braided silver hair. Her silver eyes were magnified by blue-framed glasses. She wore a silver and black seifuku with a light blue neckerchief and light grey socks.

"Hello?" Twilight called.

The girl stood up. "Twilight Sparkle-san?" she asked.

"Hai..."

The girl bowed. "My name is Silver Spoon. Celestia-sama sent me to deliver the new supply of conduit lockets." She looked over Twilight's uniform and frowned. "The fashions of this city are strange."

Twilight laughed. "I wouldn't exactly call school uniforms 'fashion'," she said. "I take it you had a run-in with the Integration Office before leaving Sun Island?"

"Hai," Silver Spoon replied.

"Well I think that seifuku suits you," Twilight said with a smile. "You look cute!"

Silver Spoon blushed. "Th-thank you, Twilight-san," she said. She looked down at her feet. "Anou...I've already delivered the lockets to Spike-san," she said. "Celestia-sama asked me to spend a week here in Pony City..."

"A little vacation?" Twilight asked. "I think you'll enjoy it here."

Silver Spoon shrugged. "I guess." She pushed up her glasses. "Mostly, I'm here to make sure the Bearer of Loyalty can bond with the new locket. We weren't around to calibrate the initial infusions...Otousama wasn't too happy about that."

Twilight's brow furrowed. "Your father is the master silversmith of Sun Island, is he not?"

"Hai!" Silver Spoon stood up straight. "I'm his apprentice."

Twilight smiled. "It's a pleasure to meet you. Keep up the good work!" She pulled out her phone. "I'll call Rainbow-san and tell her the new locket is ready."

* * * * *

Starscream clasped the third and final bracer around her own wrist. The Lunar magic coursed over her body...and absolutely nothing happened.

Dreadwing frowned. "How come you didn't transform?"

"I don't have to," Starscream said, adjusting her red glasses. "I simply absorbed a fraction of the Lunar magic I bonded to the bracer." She disappeared from view.

"It's amplifying my own innate abilities," she said from behind Dreadwing. "The only problem is, I'll have to recharge my bracer from time to time as I expend this power."

"Wouldn't transforming be...y'know...easier?" Thundercracker asked.

"Not for me," Starscream said with a shrug.

Dreadwing shook her head. "Well, whatever." She pounded a fist into an open palm. "I say we give our new powers a test drive." She grinned. "Tomorrow night, let's pull a really big, flashy, public heist. Draw out the mahoushoujo." Her eyes narrowed. "Let's show the whole world what the Shadowbolts are all about."

* * * * *

Late Thursday evening, as hundreds of commuters flooded in and out of the large, busy Aigata-gou rail station three kilometers from Hoshigusa Park, the entire station shook as the entryway collapsed into a pile of rubble. Citizens screamed and ran around in a mad panic.

"May I have your attention, please!" a loud, harsh female voice rang out. "We have now taken control of this station, and will be collecting your valuables momentarily. Please have your money, jewelry, phones, and any other valuables in your possession ready for collection. Resistance will be met with lethal force. Thank you for cooperating."

Station security and the three police officers stationed at the nearby kouban rushed to the scene, but were immediately knocked unconscious. The Shadowbolts moved among the frightened citizens, striking down anyone who tried to resist them, collecting the possessions of everyone else.

Within ten minutes, six girls and one young boy rushed into the midst of the madness. "STOP RIGHT THERE!" Twilight Sparkle yelled.

"Well well well," Dreadwing said, arms folded. "Here we are again." She snapped her fingers; dozens of gas pellets exploded all over the station, rendering everyone save for the Shadowbolts and the mahoushoujo unconscious.

"It's over, Shadowbolts!" Twilight said. "You're not getting away this time!"

"We've got enough problems to deal with without you three jerking us around!" Rainbow added.

"Oh, you don't know the first thing about problems," Thundercracker said. She reached into a pouch on her belt, pulled out a dark silver locket, and hung it around her neck. Beside her, the other two Shadowbolts raised their left arms, revealing dark silver bracers.

"Congratulations, magical nerds," Dreadwing said. "You helped us out after all, whether you wanted to or not. Thundercracker...do it."

"With pleasure," Thundercracker said. Her locket began to glow, and a column of silver flames engulfed her body.

"What's going on?" Pinkie asked.

"It's impossible...!" Twilight said, eyes wide.

When the flames died down, Thundercracker hovered in the air above them on broad turquoise wings.

"Oh crap," Rainbow said.

Thundercracker grinned down at them and hurled a silver lightning bolt at Rainbow Dash...

Author's Note:

Title card for this chapter: