• Published 5th Jun 2014
  • 14,126 Views, 507 Comments

A shell, a spell, and...wait, what the..?? - MrWriterWriter



An impatient and lonely Celestia + a dragon's egg =

  • ...
28
 507
 14,126

Forest Trail Trials: Pt.2

Whether it was Pinkie's song, or her undeniably optimistic nature, Spike had to admit one thing: the infectious bout of laughter that followed was just what everyone needed. Especially after it helped reveal the so-called 'horrors' to be nothing more than illusions on the trees. The group found themselves in high spirits afterwards as they resumed their journey.

Or they would be, if it wasn't for the rather violent-looking river they were now staring at

"How are we gonna cross THIS?" Pinkie asked.

"Um, you know we got three magic...?" Spike started to say before they heard loud sobbing nearby.

Pushing through a nearby bush revealed the source. In the water was a bawling sea serpent with what looked like an orange pompadour. His writhing and thrashing seemed to also be the cause of the churning rapids, "Oh, what a world! What a world!" He wailed.

The group looked at him for a moment until Twilight stepped up, "Excuse me, Sir. Why are you crying?"

"Oh, it's awful!" He replied, "I was setting here, minding my OWN business, mind you, when this tacky little purple cloud of smoke zipped past and ripped half of my beloved mustache clean off!" He lowered his head to show them the tuft that remained.

"Ouch..!" Spike winced, "That had to sting."

"And now...I look simply HORRIBLE!" He fell back into the water, dousing all them with the splash.

"Gimmie a break!" Rainbow muttered.

Applejack looked at him incredulously, "That's what this is all about!?"

"Well of COURSE it is!" Rarity replied indignantly, "How can you be so insensitive!?" She sauntered up to him, "Oh just look at him; such lovely luminescent scales!"

The sea serpent sniffled, "I know."

"Well, they are shiny," Spike threw in, "But we gotta..."

Applejack interrupted him with a hand on his shoulder, "Let it go, Sugarcube. Once she gets like this, there ain't nothing that can stop her short of a five ton rock."

"And your expertly coiffed mane!" Rarity continued.

"Oh, I know! I know!" He seemed to perk up at that.

"Your fabulous manicure!"

"It's so truuee!" He gushed.

"All ruined without your wonderful mustache!"

"It's true, I'M HIDEOUS!"

"I simply cannot let such a crime against fabulousity go uncorrected!" With that, she grabbed hold of one of his scales and yanked it off.

"OWIE!" The serpent yelped, "What did you do that for!?"

"Rarity, what are you...?' Twilight started.

"It's lopsided, but I don't think I'd go quite that far!" Spike said, "I mean, Twilight's got a spell that'll give him a..."

*SHINK!*

With a swing, Rarity brought the sharp edge of the scale down on her tail, cutting it off almost to the dock. (and causing the serpent to almost faint in the process).

"....New 'stache. " Spike sighed, "Nevermind."

Then, enveloping it in her magic, she fused her tail to the torn stump.

"OH-hohoho!" He squealed in glee, "My mustache!"

"Simply smashing!" She smiled.

"Rarity, your beautiful tail!" Twilight spoke up in concern.

"Oh, it's quite alright, my dear. Short tails are in this season, Besides, it'll grow back."

"Well, either way, the river's settled down now!" Twilight said trotting out into the water, "We can make it across now!"

Suddenly she found herself raised up on the sea serpent's back.

"Allow me!" He said, diving his head back under to give them a complete bridge.

Once across, they continued onward.

"Ah'm glad that's over with." Applejack sighed in relief.

"Same." Spike grinned, "Though, I do have one question."

"What?"

"Well, I'm just remembering it; but before we got distracted by that guy's hair problem...I'm still grounded, but why didn't Rainbow and Fluttershy just fly over? And me, Twilight, and Rarity could've levitated the rest of us across."

He got several blank looks in return.

At least, until Rainbow Dash's scream of "ARE YOU KIDDING ME!?" Echoed through the forest.

---------------------------------

After pulling themselves back together--and getting Rainbow to not bang her head against the nearest rock--they soon found themselves at their destination.

"There it is!" Twlight yelled excitedly, "The ruins that hold the Elements of Harmony!" She immediately took off towards with the others not far behind, "We made iiiii-eeeeYIPE!" She yelled, flailing her arms at the edge of the chasm; apparently what was supposed to have been a bridge spanning it had come loose from the far side and now hung down into the foggy abyss. Thankfully she was pulled back in time.

"What is it with you and cliffs today?" Rainbow asked after letting go of her tail.

"Now what?" Pinkie sighed.

"Don't worry. This time I'm ready!" Rainbow said, diving down to grab the bridge's loose end and carry it back over. She began to tie it when a voice called out from somewhere.

"Raiiinnnbooow."

"W-wha? Who's there!?"

"Raaaaaiiiinbooooow."

She immediately struck a fighting stance, " You think you can scare me!?" She shouted, throwing a few punches, "Show yourself!"

"We've been eagerly awaiting the arrival of Equestria's best flyer." The voice said.

"Who?"

"Why, you of course."

"Really!?" She squeaked, "Uh...I-I mean.. Oh yeah, me! Hey, you wouldn't mind tell the Wonderbolts, that, would ya? 'Cause I've been trying to get into that group for AGES!"

"No, Rainbow Dash; we want you to join US." Out of the mist stepped a mare and two stallions. All three were dressed in uniforms similar to the Wonderbolts; but theirs were dark purple and black, "The Shadowbolts! We are the greatest aerial team in the Everfree Forest; and soon to be the greatest in all of Equestria! But first we need a captain."

Rainbow's eyes lit up when she realized the insinuation.

"The most magnificent..."

"Yes?"

"Swiftest..."

"Yes!?"

"Bravest flyer in all the land!"

"Yesyesyes!"

"We need..." The mare flew in close and whispered, "You."

"WOO-HOO!" Rainbow squealed, jumping into the air, "Where do I sign!?" She quickly flew back to the rope, "Just let me get this bridge tied back up and then we..."

"NO!" The mare snapped, "It's them or us!"

"Rainbow!" Twilight called out, "What's taking so long!?"

"Hey...who's that with her?" Spike asked, squinting slightly, "They kinda look like Wonderbolts...but the uniform's off. For that matter, why would they even be out here?"

Twilight's eye's widened when she saw, "Oh no...RAINBOW!"

Suddenly, the Shadowbolt mare glared at them, her eyes glowing through the goggle.

"Don't listen to them...!"

Within seconds, the fog hid them from sight and muffled Twilight's voice

"Well?"

Rainbow looked back at where the others had been, closing her eyes for a moment before looking back up at the Shadowbolts, "You..."

The mare smiled evily in triumph.

"Thank you. For the offer, I mean." She added, trying the rope back, "But I'm afraid I'll have to say no." With that, she flew back over as the fog parted, and to the cheers of the others. "See?" She told Twilight as they made their way across, "I'd never leave my friends hanging!"

---------------------------------

"Whoa.." Rainbow whistled in awe when they finally entered the ruins.

In the center of the room stood a large stone statue with five arms radiating out. On each one sat an orb with a jewel shape engraved on it.

"Come on, Twilight." Applejack said, "This is what you and Spike've been waitin' fer, right?"

"The Elements of Harmory, we finally found them." Spike said as they watched Rainbow and Fluttershy fly up to get them.

"Careful...easy does it, girls." Twilight warned them, "There's no telling how delicate they really are."

"One, two, three...there's only five!" Pinkie called out in alarm, "Where's the sixth?"

"The book said 'when the five are present, a spark will reveal the sixth element'." Twilight replied, sitting in front of the elements.

"All right, and what the hay is THAT supposed to mean, exactly?" Applejack looked at Spike.

"I don't know. Twilight's a lot more familiar with the legend than I am." He responded, kneeling down beside her.

"I might have an idea." Twilight said, focusing on the Elements, "Everyone stand back, I don't know what'll happen." Her horn lit up as she began to concentrate.

"Come on, ya'll. We'd better go so she can concentrate." Applejack said, stepping back out the door. The others weren't too far behind, though Spike held back for a moment, looking back one more time to be sure she'd be ok before following them.

As soon as they were out, though, a purple vapor emerged from behind the rubble and darted towards the Elements.

Twilight was unaware it was until it began spinning around them, speeding up into a whirlwind and lifting them up in its grasp.

"I think not." A malicious, and frighteningly familiar voice spoke up.

When she realized what was happening, she could only let out a scream of alarm at the sight.

Fortunately, it was loud enough to alert the others outside.

Watching the vortex, Twilight quickly spotted the spheres rising higher and higher inside, "The Elements!" She yelled, diving for them...

Only for all three; the twister, the Elements, and Twilight to vanish together just as the others reached her.

"What the!?"

"Where did she go!?"

"TWILIGHT!" Spike screamed.

Author's Note:

And thus the stage is set, the actors are in form, and the final scene of the act has begun!