• Published 5th Jun 2014
  • 14,119 Views, 507 Comments

A shell, a spell, and...wait, what the..?? - MrWriterWriter



An impatient and lonely Celestia + a dragon's egg =

  • ...
28
 507
 14,119

Mini-Chapter: Reminisce

"I know you mean well, Twilight, but you're worrying over nothing. Ever since you moved out of your parents' house, you've been in the library almost 24/seven, especially after you found that Mare In The Moon story. It's not healthy for you, or anyone for that matter. Now I've already talked to your parents and they agree that this'll do you a world of good. You're a young mare, Twilight, and you need to socialize at least a little bit more." Even though it was a couple of days ago, Celestia's statement still rung in Twilight's ears as if she had just said it. She had protested, pleaded, argued reasons as to why she shouldn't do it, even come close to a temper tantrum, but it was all for naught.

In less than five hours, 17-year-old Twilight Sparkle would be heading to the nearby town of Ponyville to oversee the upcoming Summer Solstice Festival. She'd be staying at the town library, but that wasn't much of a consolation.

Shoulders slumping as she packed up her things, Twilight looked around to be sure she wouldn't be missing anything. She started to confirm she'd gotten everything when something poking out from one of her physics books caught her eye. "Celestia, how could I have forgotten that!?" She berated herself, flipping it open. She chuckled and smiled at the revealed object: the photo Velvet had taken of her and Spike when they were asleep that day.

She hadn't realized it was still with her until she had gotten back to her room. The initial thought had been to dispose of it so nopony would know, but after remembering the calm, safe feeling she had gotten from him during that, she couldn't bring herself to get rid of it. Beside the book sat the source of another fond memory: a large, pudgy-looking stuffed cow she had named 'Daffodil', the prize Spike had won her when they had gone to the Nightmare Night carnival three years ago.

She couldn't help but giggle at the memory of how awful his aim was when it came to ring-tossing. After the first four tries, she'd suggested he try his hand at one of the other games but he also showed he could be stubborn as anypony if he wanted to be, "No way, Twi. I said I'd win you something here and I'm going to do just that." Twenty minutes and fifty bits later, he presented her with the toy, his trademark goofy grin almost splitting his face.

"Colts.." She said to herself, hugging the doll tightly. Unfortunately, that was where the fun stared to fade..

Spike...

It'd be almost ten years since the two had met and became friends, ten years of laughs, new spells, and-thankfully no one was around to see the memory-induced blush-a few other moments similar to the photo.

After today, though...

"Get a grip, Twilight.." She told herself, fighting back the stinging sensation in her eyes, "It won't be that bad. I mean, we can still write..a-and I can always visit. M-maybe one of those times I can finally tell Spike..."

"Tell me what, Twi?"

"Tell him..." Twilight started to say before realizing she had company, "S-SPIKE!" She yelped, "When did you get...! I mean, it-it's nothing, hehe, just...just wondering...um, why are you carrying those?" In her attempt to cover up her almost-blurtout, she noticed the now 19-year old kirin was wearing a basic pair of jeans and t-shirt; the same style he tended to wear when he wasn't learning politics with his mother. However, it was the suitcase and duffel bag he was carrying that had her real attention.

"I went ahead and got ready after Mom told me she wanted me to go with you to Ponyville."

"Huh? You-you're coming?"

"Yeah, something about wanting me to expand my horizons and get to know the ponies outside Canterlot. That and you could use the company."

That goofy grin again, "Besides, I wanted to come and make sure you'd be ok. Can't have you starve while reading the Encyclopedia Bucktanica for the fifteenth time, right?"

Twilight's heart did a slight flutter.