• Published 6th Apr 2012
  • 1,989 Views, 133 Comments

The Colors Of A New World - LordOfTape



I've finally made it Ponyville, but what in the world is going on?

  • ...
5
 133
 1,989

The Composition of Chaos

Chapter 17: The Composition of Chaos

The mare simply stood there, waiting by the doorway. She didn’t move, neither forward nor backward, even her head remained still. My own eyes drilled daggers into her as I stared unending at her. I was filled with disgrace and hatred and could feel my anger growing inside of me like a monstrous vine. Intertwining with each vein and muscle, this vine forced my body to pulse in a steady beat. Each beat resounded in my mind like the beat of a drum, banging against my skull.

“Rainbow Dash, what is he talking about!” called out the purple unicorn, chained to the wall behind me.

“Yeah Dash, what in tarnation is going on here?” the southern pony wanted to know.

The blue pegasus remained still, eyes still to the ground, mane covering the rest of her face. Was she even alive? She couldn’t possibly be herself, but I was too angry to talk with her.

“Daaaaaaaash!” screamed Pinkie “What kind of crazy prank is this?”

“If this is some kind of foolish prank, please drop the act dear. These chains are starting to chafe.” Complained Rarity.

“Rainbow Dash. I’m really scared.” Cried Fluttershy.

The quiet traitor unlocked her voice and released its demons, “I guess this is goodbye everypony. I’m sorry it had to end this way.”

The five ponies on the walls were shocked into silence. None of them had any idea of how to respond to such a revelation. I on the other hand had quite a few things to say.

I yelled at her, my voice loud and full of rage but not yet screaming “End how exactly? You’re going to let him kill us all? Is that it, is that what this has all led up to?”

A small droplet of salt and water fell to the floor, splashing at pony’s hooves. A faint sob could be heard in the background of her voice, “I’m sorry! There’s nothing I can do about it now, ok!”

Before she could say anymore, I cut in “But you could’ve stopped him before, couldn’t you?!”

She turned her head so as to not have to look at us. “No. I need him…”

The next pulse split my thoughts into pieces. I snapped, breaking away from anything that wasn’t rage, “Need him!? You need him!? What is the world could you possibly NEED him for!?”

The mare I thought was once my friend hurried up to me and got right in my face. Her eyes, grey as they were, looked right into mine, while my eyes bore into hers. Something inside those eyes told me I wasn’t talking to the Rainbow Dash I knew. Perhaps it was the grey, or perhaps it was the feeling behind it, I couldn’t be sure. Whatever it was, the thought did not soothe my raging voice.

“He said he’d bring them back! He said I could have my parents back!” she screamed in my face, tears flying from her eyes onto me.

My resentment did not lessen visually, and barely stunted at all mentally. She would sacrifice her friends for her parents? Whether or not this was my Dange, it didn’t make any sense at all.

“You would sacrifice your friends for your parents!? I can understand me, no one here needs to give one single damn about me, but what about these five!?” I yelled back, now screaming. I did my best to motion to the five hanging, chained to the wall. “Do they mean nothing to you!?”

“Rainbow Dash, why? How could you trust Discord after all of this? I know why you would want to get your parents back, but how could you trust that monster?” Twilight asked, trying to break through to Rainbow.

“Because he showed me! He showed me his portals. He said he could bring them back, he showed me, he showed me my parents!” she tried to explain.

I was going to yell at her again for doing something so stupid, but our ‘old’ foe walked in on the argument.

“Ten minutes is up Rainbow Dash. Now if you wouldn’t mind, I need the last piece of Order in order.”

His paw lit up with a yellow light, which then transferred over to Rainbow Dash, covering her in a glimmer of magic.

“Wait, what?” she cried out, tears still falling from her face.

“Oh shut up.” he directed as he used his magic to fling her into the last pair of chains on the wall. “And don’t you dare say ‘But you promised’, or so help me. You really don’t think things through well, do you?”

“But –” she was cut off.

“Ah, ah ah. No speaking. Let me tell you exactly how stupid you are, pegasus.” A scholars cap manifested on his head, slanted to avoid his horns. He donned a pair of reading glasses and regained his chalkboard and some chalk. He outlined the events leading up to the current situation on the board.
“I come into your world and take over. I give you an offer for you to get your parents back, while simultaneously tricking all of your friends into becoming my puppets. You give me access to the remaining pieces in setting up the destruction of everything, and you still expected me to go through with bringing your parents back? Hahaha, you’re an idiot! Now you can perish with the rest of them.”

“No, I won’t let you!” she screamed at the top of her lungs, her voice screeching at its highest pitch.

She struggled valiantly against the chains, but in the end, they didn’t even budge. No matter how useless her efforts, she continued to try. She pulled with both her hooves and her wings, but to no avail.

He grinned, looking at the mare with a wry smile. “Pray tell, Rainbow Danger Dash, why won’t you let me? Is it to save your friends? The one’s you were going to let me use at my will? Or maybe it’s to save the colt in the center, you know, the one you just met. Hmm, well it sure can’t possibly be to save any of the ponies throughout Ponyville that I sent to the griffon wasteland, what is it, Griffhala? No not at all, it’s not like any of them mattered to you, right? Not even, who was it now, yes, oh yes, Rocketeer. Couldn’t possibly be any of those ponies, no. They all hate you.”

Rainbow Dash stopped her struggles and fell limp by the chains. In all the times I had ever seen her, she had never been so far down the drain. Emotionally depleted and physically exhausted, the acclaimed speedster no longer had a reason to push through. Her mane began to fade away into shades of grey, while her coat soon followed.

Something else happened when she lost her color. A certain spark lit on her face. Although I was straining my neck to turn around enough to see her, I caught a small glimpse of that spark. Her eyes held a faint magenta shine. Her whole form surfaced from beneath the wash of grey and I knew that somehow, this colorless Rainbow was my Rainbow.

“That’s what I thought.” he spat, obviously not noticing the change as I did. “Now let’s get this show on the road! Princesses, would you care to watch?”

The mention of the princesses made me return to normal, almost. At least I wasn’t mad at Rainbow Dash while he brought out Celestia and Luna. Now wearing a bellboys uniform, he carted them out on a fake trolley, although they couldn’t have been the princesses. They were far too…oh no.

“Did I forget to mention that the royalty and I got a bit stoned earlier today? I’m sorry, they might not be in the right state of matter, but don’t take their presence for granite now.” he laughed pretentiously at himself.

Setting the two statues down out of the circle, he glared at Twilight. “This one’s just for you little Twilie. I figured you’d get a kick out of it, I know I did.”

Twilight bit her lip and tried to turn her head away, but he used his magic to force her to look right at them. The other ponies were yelling at him to stop, save Fluttershy who was scared stiff. Of course, nothing they did made any difference to the ruthless lord of chaos.

“And if you happen to make it out of this, please stop by the royal garden. I’ve got a great new piece in there of the royal couple. They look quite frightened, but I think it really captured their likeness.”

I couldn’t take anymore of his mockery. I could see the ponies around me on the walls. Fluttershy was frozen stiff. Applejack was wrestling with the chains, but as with Rainbow it was useless. Pinkie’s hair had straightened and she looked rather miffed about the whole thing to put it lightly. Rarity was trying to free herself through her magic, but it had just about as much effect as Applejack. Twilight was a mess. Frantically trying not to burst like a firework, she was forced to stare constantly into the immobile glare of her caring mentor. And Dash was, well if she had any energy left, she was spending it feeling sorry for herself.

I on the other hand, felt the throbing of emotions bursting through me. The vines leeched to my insides, making my body shake with fury. My left learned to twitch, and the chains rattled with each new pulse.

“I’m going to break you.” I hissed at him.

“Not yet you’re not.” He waved his finger at me. “Now heel.” He said, forcing me down with his magic. It was too strong to fight.

With his other hand, he began casting a spell around the circle, causing it to glow yellow and orange. The black wisps intertwined with his magic, darkening the entire circle. The air even felt evil, as if the area was tainted with the horrid and grotesque.

His voice deepened and almost echoed as he spoke, “I, Discord, the Lord of Chaos and Vessel of the Spirit of Pandemonium, summon the Spirit of Destruction to the world of the living!”

The glow intensified and the markings inside and around the circle lit up. The light blasted through what remained of a ceiling, shining into the sky. A tornado of dark magic swirled around me, growing to envelope the whole room. I could hear the screams of my friends as the tornado caught up to them. It drained the color from their bodies, adding it to the unimaginable blackness. Discord threw in Rainbow Dash’s color in the form of his magic, and the portal began to open beneath my hooves.

My mind flashed, as if I was suffering some weird form of déjà vu. I flashed back to the odd dream I had not too long ago. I was standing, alone in a room made of nothingness. A circle appeared beneath me and a glowing orange and yellow light began to glow. After that, I woke up in Rainbow Dash’s bed.

I thought I would easily switch back to what was really going on, but my mind continued on with my dream. Except this time, there were ponies surrounding me. Everything was the same, this wasn’t the dream. This was happening right now.

The magic enclosed on me. I felt a rush of cold heat sear into my eyes and breath on my wings. My pupils dilated and participated in a fast game of darts as they shot across the room, taking in every single molecule. The bodies of my friends lay limp in their chains, colorless and lifeless. A piercing pain shot through my heart. I went to grab it, to try and stop the hurt, but I was still chained to the ground. With all of my might I pulled against the chain, muscles still shaking I shattered it. I grabbed my heart the best I could with hooves. My consciousness faded in an out with the shivers of pain. Was I dying?

I heard the clinks and snaps of the other chain on my hoof breaking, followed by a heavy panting. I smelled smoke, and ashes. The fiery aromas were wafting around the air with no rhyme or reason. I tasted metal, and it was hot. That didn’t bother me though. Nothing seemed to upset me, in fact, nothing even seemed to faze me.

Discord spoke to me, “Hello old friend, remember me?”

I spoke, but I wasn’t speaking “You and those wretched alicorns did this to me.”

“Yes, and I could do it again if I wanted.”

“You can’t. I know your powers. I wouldn’t joke, mortal, I am not in the giving mood.”

“I’m not joking this time, Roc. I gave you a new body didn’t I?”

“A pathetic pony body. This is not suitable for me.” I articulated with obvious annoyance.

“At least the boy has wings. Cut me a break here, I did what I could.”

“Now I will do what I can, and finish destroying this world.”

“Good.” Discord replied, slyly grinning to himself.

“Starting with you.” I said flatly, jumping at the unsuspecting dragonaquis.

He reacted quickly and held me back with his magic. “Now now, don’t be too hasty. If you truly want revenge, why not these two first?” he saved himself, motioning to the frozen princesses.

“It does not matter, for all shall perish to my flames.”

I didn’t know what I was saying. The words were coming out and my mouth was moving, but I wasn’t saying any of it. I tried to fight it, but something kept me from being able to do anything at all. I flew over to the prisoners, something telling me instinctively not to walk. My mouth opened, and I yelled at the statues. Nothing happened.

“What have you done with my powers!?” I demanded of Discord.

“Oh, I’m sorry Roc, did I not bring all of those back for you?” he mocked me; ME the embodiment of Destruction and Desiccation.

“I will destroy you!” I yelled, flying at him once more.

He effortlessly stopped me with his magic, yawning. “No, no you won’t. You will destroy Equestria, and you will do it for me. You’ve got your flaming wings, that’s all you’re going to need. I’m your master now, remember that.” His voice becoming more serious as he spoke.

“We will, ugh, stop you Discord.” Twilight Sparkle coughed as she dragged her body towards us.

“Oh my, still got some fight left do we? I told you I was done with games Sparkle. Roc, kill her.”

“I take orders from no one!”

Discord’s grip tightened and his magic crushed me. Even the pulsing of my body squeezed in reaction to his power. I wanted to rebel, I needed to rebel, but I couldn’t. Not only was I being held back, but Discord was too powerful, even for me.

I looked at the defeated purple unicorn. The chains had been broken on all of them. I must have done it when I exploded. Twilight was forcing her tired body to keep moving forward. I wanted to help her up, I wanted to heal her, care for her as she did me, but instead I attacked. Flying to her at breakneck speeds, I picked her up in my hooves. I carried her through the hole that was once a ceiling until we had gone so high up we could’ve touched the moon.

Twilight spoke to me. Her voice seemed directed beyond me though, as if she was talking to me while I was inside of myself. Almost as if she knew I wasn’t in control.

Her voice was slow, filled with pauses, and very quiet, but I could still hear her. “Drumroll. If you can hear me, I wanted to apologize. I know Rainbow Dash hurt you, but I don’t think it was her fault. Maybe one day she’ll tell you about her parents, if we ever make it out of this that is. I wanted to thank you for sticking up for us, for helping us, for being here. I think we can still do it, I think we can still use the Elements. I think we can free you and Rainbow Dash from this spell. Celestia warned me of this, we have a plan.”

“You and Celestia will burn with the rest of this planet. I will not be sealed in that infernal pit again.”
I tried to hold on, I concentrated every possible muscle in my pony body to hold her up, but somehow she fell from my grasp with ease, plummeting towards the ground with nothing to stop her. Soon enough she would hit the ground, cratering her body below. She would feel the cracks and snaps of her bones and the immense and overwhelming pain of movement. But she would be alright in the end. It happened to me before, I was still alright, wasn’t I?

But I’m made of tougher stuff than Twilight.

‘Save her’ I told myself, ‘GO’ ‘NOW’! I didn’t move, I couldn’t move, no… I wouldn’t move. I could not force my body to save her. I didn’t want to. But I did, I had to! The mental battle between myself and…myself was tolling on me and I couldn’t keep up.

“Save her!” I said, actually hearing myself speak.

“You are quite the annoying voice. I put up with you before, but now you must shut up, my mission is not yet complete.” Said the other me.

We began switching off control of the voice, “Yeah well I’ve got a pretty good history with annoying voices, now we’re going to save her!”

“Why bother? I shall kill her eventually, why wait?”

“Because I won’t let you kill her, or any of them!”

“You cannot stop me, and neither shall Pandemonium or Order.”

“Yes they will!” I retaliated, gaining control while the other me was distracted.

I rushed down as fast as I could, but with the time it had taken to gain control, she would’ve already hit the ground. It was no use, but I flew anyways. As I neared the ground I noticed two very important things. One was that there were six ponies standing together. The other was that these six ponies were all bright pastel colors.

I lost control as swiftly as I had gained it, and hadn’t even felt my hooves hit the ground. Still around me, I saw the six ponies promptly ready to face me. Even Fluttershy seemed ready to fight. Upon a closer glance though, they weren’t even bothering with me. They all were poised and ready to battle with Discord.

“What is this? How are you not dead?” Both I and the other me questioned the group, albeit with varying tones.

“They seem to have outwitted you, Roc.” Laughed Discord from behind.

“And you think this to be funny? They shall destroy you too Pandemonium if I do not do it first!”

“With what? I already used the Spirit of Order to summon you back. I’m not scared.”

Rainbow Dash readies herself for a race, setting her hind legs up and lowering her back so she could get a faster burst of speed. Without even a single word, she slammed into Discord with an instant Sonic Rainboom. His snake like body collapsed in on itself as he crashed into the wall.

“I’ve got more for you, you dirty liar!” she shrieked as she ran in for more.

She tried punching and bucking, but Discord continued to teleport out of the way. As he appeared everywhere he mocked her saying, “Oh I’M the liar now, eh? Not you, the one who betrayed all of her friends for some false hopes?”

He stopped teleporting long enough to get in a fully fledged fit of laughter out at Rainbow Dash’s expense. Luckily, he hadn’t been paying attention to what was behind him. A pair of orange colored legs raised up and knocked straight into the back of Discord’s head, flattening his face into the crumbling floor.

“Don’t go thinking we ponies don’t know how to fight good and proper.” Applejack jibbed.

Discord stood up rubbing his head. He turned around confused, “What are you doing? She betrayed you all! Why would you help her!?” he yelped, more annoyed than anything.

I wasn’t sure if Discord had seen them regain both color and vitality, but he didn’t seem all too worried about it. Even Rainbow Dash switching on him didn’t appear to faze him. Could he have prepared some secret back up plan? Whatever had happened down here, the other me was just as in the dark as I was.

“Maybe you just don’t know us six like you think you do.” Rarity announced ever so properly before magically thrashing a rock into his side.

“Have we forgotten someone ladies?” I, well the other me, teased them as I drifted over to the statues. I reached out with my left hoof, giving it my all not to move. I merely touched Princess Celestia’s statue with the tip of my hoof and it crumbled to dust. The ashes of the once all powerful ruler of Equestria flushed over the floor. The six former Elements of Harmony dropped their jaws, Pinkie’s a bit more literally than the others. I watched with creeping horror, feeling the soft grating of the dust on my hoof. I just killed the Princess. I killed Princess Celestia.

“Perhaps that will catch your attention.”