• Published 6th Apr 2012
  • 3,385 Views, 52 Comments

The Rummy Business of Old Blooey - Cloud Wander



What ho! Big doin's on the night of the Grand Galloping Gala!

  • ...
3
 52
 3,385

Not at All, Cheese

I swam to the surface some time later, a promenade of pink Princesses prancing the Pony Pokey in the old persimmon. Shaking, I feared the approaching thunder of the Hoofbeats of Death, but, happily, it was only Cheese with the sovereign remedy. I engulfed it gratefully, and, once the convulsions stopped, I felt quite like the old Barney again.

Details of the previous night were sketchy at best, mostly lines pencilled in with multiple erasures. However, the pinched guardpony's helmet, stylishly cocked upon the bedpost, suggested that I had enjoyed a fruity time.

As Cheese arranged the toast and tea, I inquired, "Cheese?"

"Yes, sir?"

"That plaid vest of mine. Have you recovered it?"

"Yes, sir. Although, I'm afraid, sir, that it is a bit worse for wear. Mysteriously, it was discovered this morning flying as a pennant from the flagstaff of Princess Celestia's tower."

I sighed. "Well, that's how it goes, eh, Cheese? As the philosopher says, in time, all things lose their... well, their thingness, I suppose."

"A most wise observation, sir."

I kicked an idea around the old coconut for awhile, then announced, "Cheese? About that old vest of mine? Give it away!"

"Sir?"

"Give it away! I have enjoyed good fortune, wearing that vest. Perhaps some other pony, down on his luck, will inherit the garment and a bit of the old Trotter magic will rub off on 'im. And good for him, I say."

Dashed if I can understand it, but Cheese fixed me with a look that reminded me, oddly, of Princess Celestia.

"That is most charitable of you, sir," he said.

"Not at all, Cheese. Not at all."

Comments ( 31 )

In case you were wondering, "Marengo" was the name of Napoleon's horse.

Of PG Wodehouse's Jeeves & Wooster stories, my personal favorite is "Right Ho, Jeeves." I highly recommend it.

This...

I've just read the first five-hundred words or so.

Insta-tracked.

Oh my gosh. This is awesome, you are awesome and it is awesome to read this story again after so much time spent on doing stuff.
As a huge fan of P.G. Wodehouse, I approve.
My hoof ups. Have all of them.

I do believe I read this on EQD some months ago...it is utterly brilliant. Insta-fav'd.

417729 Thank you. This weekend, I decided to bring some of my stories over from EQD. I find FIM Fiction more convenient than GoogleDocs for hosting stories. I try to post here more often.

417796 Very glad to hear that. :twilightsmile: I much prefer to read stories on this site, by comparison all the other options seem clumsy and resource intensive...I'll definitely take a look through your other stories at some point. :pinkiehappy:

My favorite part, I think, is Barney mistaking Twilight for Princess Luna. “Day. Weeks. Centuries. How the time does slip away,” I nodded, knowingly. “Many’s the time I’ve awakened from the post-luncheon nap and wondered where the day has gone.” “Um, right.” :twilightoops:

Flawlessly Wodehousian plot and the language is worthy of old Plum himself! Spiffing yarn, old bean! :pinkiehappy:

Okay, Why aren't you being showered in Adoration by Bookish, Fannish people? Why is that a Thing that is not Happening.

Totally needs more following especially if you'll grace us with more fics of this sort.

Absolutely brilliant! You write an excellent Jeeves.

Good stuff, this. Never read anything by Wodehouse, might have to scare up some prose to peruse. I've read a LOT of Pratchett, and the covers typically mention Wodehouse in the review quotes, but that and this fic is all I know of him.

417370

Of PG Wodehouse's Jeeves & Wooster stories, my personal favorite is "Right Ho, Jeeves." I highly recommend it.

If anyone wants to read it, it’s free on Project Gutenberg: Right Ho, Jeeves (downloads, HTML view).

Has there ever been another fic with this much charm?

I say, that is good writing. Captain cheesecakes, leader of the cheese rebellion, approves greatly of this fair tale.

Just delightful. I've never read the original Wodehouse books, so my only experience of it is via Fry and Laurie, but if this is a reasonable facsimile of the core works, it sounds like they're worth a read.

And having finished this delightful parody, I burst, as one sometimes must, into song:

This was brilliantly funny! I laughed all the way through. Excellent, fun writing. :pinkiehappy:

And now, among other things, I must search for PG Wodehouse's Jeeves & Wooster stories...

I was reading another story last night that reminded me of this one (though done less well), and I had to come back and read through this again. Every bit as delightful the second time around. Thank you.

4041354
"When you're thrown from the horse, you've got to get back in the saddle," I encouraged.

In Wodehouse's Jeeves and Wooster stories, Bertie, the narrator, has a habit of using abbreviations. ("A few oz. of the Old Lubricant." "Always darkest before the d.") The narrative voice seems to suggest that the stories are being written into a diary or journal, as unlikely as it may seem.

I don't think this wasn't on Fimfic when Chris first reviewed it, so here, have a thumb!

4044588
4434821 Thank you both. :twilightsmile:
And oh, wow, how did I miss your reply, Cloud? :pinkiegasp:

Glorious. Noble pony comedy at its very finest, I say.

PresentPerfect
Author Interviewer

Classic stuff, absolutely topping! ;D

Magnificent stuff. I literally burst out laughing at times. My only regret is that I didn't read this earlier.

I absolutely love it! You've captured the style of Bertie Wooster just perfectly! :pinkiehappy::rainbowlaugh::yay:

Can I try to make a fanfic reading of this? :scootangel:

8224103
Oh, sure. Have at it! But fair warning: when I wrote this story, I had Bertie Wooster's voice stuck in my head for a month! You catch yourself saying "what ho!" a lot.

8224231
Don't worry, I usually do that anyway. :twilightsheepish:
I am very British (Where's a Fancy Pants emoji when you need one)
If you've seen the TV Series of Jeeves and Wooster with Hugh Laurie and Stephen Fry, I'm trying to get my voice to resemble them slightly.

That was rather lovely.

Heh, this story has aged nicely. Four years appears to be sufficient time to make the reading experience laugh out loud funny once more. Re-reading my old favourites, and Rummy Business retains its hold on the top tier. A true classic, sadly all too underrated.

I love this so much. Favorited!

Login or register to comment