• Published 28th May 2014
  • 958 Views, 3 Comments

The Devil in Me - Sleep Sonata



Mine is not the lesser light. I am not subordinate, and I am not her sister.

  • ...
6
 3
 958

Share the Load

Had I bothered to sleep, I would’ve been refreshed, like a new mare. I had all the documents ready for the search, and I trusted my captains would be discrete in their endeavours. Better still, I had yet to see the Nightmare.

But I couldn’t, no. There was still much to be done this day.

In my rush out of my bedchambers, I caught a glimpse of myself in a tall mirror. My normally flowing mane seemed to hang lower than normal, with less gleam than usual. My eyes betrayed my lack of sleep, bloodshot and shadowed. The kindest way to describe my appearance would be worn out.

But it would all be worth it; the sleeplessness, the diligence, the effort.

The lies.

Tia would come around eventually, she always does. She’s still stressed about the state of affairs in Equestria, what with an entire empire vanishing into thin air. Many ponies lost their livelihoods with the disappearance. But she didn’t need to do everything. I would be easing her mind by simply lending a hoof, even if she didn’t think she needed it.

I did get a few strange look walking down the halls, along with the traditional bows. It didn’t matter. What would they do to their princess? I had important royal business to attend to.

I passed by General Firefly in by the armory. He was inspecting the armor for damage, as he did every Wednesday. It would appear that he found a few specimens, as I knew he would. “Good morning General.”

His demeanour spoke of annoyance, but his utter frustration could not help but bleed through his brow. “I wish I could say it was, Princess. I know the stallions are out searching, but even that isn’t an excuse for the state of their equipment. Look at this!” He presented me with a breast plate, normally polished and smooth, adorned with dents, and I believe I saw a hole caused by folding. “This must be deliberate, but I haven’t the faintest idea why they would abuse their equipment in such a way.”

“I suppose the search is quite a bit more intensive than we believed. I don’t think anypony in particular is to blame.”

The General hoisted a piece onto his back. “I suppose, but I will question the stallions who used these items first. It’s not the most we have to worry about.”

Firefly went on his way to the barracks. I got the impression he was going to be more harsh than he would have led me to believe. More importantly, he was going away from my destination; his office.
If one could call such a place an office. I’m almost certain the General has spent more hours awake here than in his own bed. I never mentioned it to him, but I wouldn’t hesitate to give him a holiday at the first opportunity. He certainly deserved it.

Which is why I must do this. I couldn’t get control any other way. I slipped my documents into the General’s inbox, removed the appropriate folder, and proceeded on my way back to my chambers, to plan the next night of course.

And what a night it would be. Celestia would sleep soundly for once, and the Royal Guard would discover that they were progressing on their search at an astonishing rate.

But that would come in time. At the moment, I felt a need to relax. I’d gone through a lot to get those documents in order. I deserved a bath, since the last time I tried it didn’t end very well.

I returned to my chambers, and Celestia had still not roused. At nine o’clock, this was unusual, but understandable. She’d been up late as I was up early. Neither of us could keep to a schedule anymore. No matter.

The bath took a few minutes to draw, so I kept myself company with a cup of tea. Celestia always kept a few bags in our chambers, incase the servants weren’t around, or awake. I helped myself to them every now and then, but she always had some strange flavors in hers. I’d picked one up by accident this time; mint. However, I felt like I could drink it. It certainly helped me get over my sleepiness.

The bath was ready, and I slipped into the water. The hot water met my cool skin, and the two meeting sent a rush of feeling throughout my body. It was as if I’d wrapped myself into the warmest quilt ever stitch after a day out in a winter’s night. Eventually, I acclimated to the new ambient temperature, and I began to drift into a sleep.

“Well done Luna. Well done!”

Of all the times for her to disturb me, it had to be after my moment of triumph. “Thank you, now I believe I’ve earned some time to myself.”

“Oh of course, where are my manners. I’m just so thrilled you’ve worked up the courage to defy your sister! This is a great day for both of us!” Her incessant cheering had broken my slumber. Why must I, of all ponies, be burdened by her presence.

“Do you mind! And I am not ‘defying’ Tia. I’m just helping her with her royal duties, as is my duty.”

“I thought she didn’t want your help? She pushed you away.”

“Tia is exhausted from stress. She doesn’t know what she needs right now.”

“But you do.” That was the first sensible thing I’d ever heard her say. “And you knew exactly how to do it. Vandalising the armor was a brilliant distraction. And I agree, Firefly could use a break.”

I didn’t want to be reminded of what I had to do. But it did work, and the General wouldn’t dare question me even if he did know. “Thank you for your encouragement. Now please go. I deserve time to myself. Alone.”

As you wish, your Royal Highness.” She left, and all I had to do was ask. If only I could do the same with Tia. I would ask to help, and she would say yes. Ah well. I had that sorted out anyway. No need to dwell on it.